lloydrj

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lloydrj
massanutten wrote:Appreciate if you could post the link VS gave you to downgrade from XDA forum.

To your issue. I also have vanilla stock - no problems with force closures (FC) with 4349. Arrived from Woot and immediately OTA update to 3588. On April 14th did another OTA update to 4349. No problems. Just checked nearly all my apps and no problems.

I did experience something what you are experiencing but on the 3588 rom - nearly everything did a FC. I did two things right after each other so I don't know if the first action would have fixed it - I'm a new at this.

First - Seems that I somehow installed a older version of Adobe Fl@sh player. Suggest you check your Adobe Fl@sh player first. If not the latest - just download and it will overwirte the older verson.

Second - Again - no root or mod - I just reflashed the ROM - from a power off; Power On and press the volume + button. It automatically reflashed again (box icon with down arrow displayed) to the same 3588 ROM, but this time everything worked like a champ.

I'd check your fl@sh player first. I did not lose anything - settings, apps, etc. after I reflashed - so I didn't see any harm with this. Remember I'm new at this.

Here's the link: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1036956

Also added it to my original post

lloydrj

lloydrj wrote:I have keep my GTab as stock - now running stock 4349. The GTAB was running perfectly - until today !!! Suddenly, 90+% of apps give a forced close. Turned on and off and doesn't help.

Does anyone know how to solve the forced close problem without changing the ROM and without wiping all of the memory, etc?

UPDATE - I just called Viewsonic Support. They said the problem is with the 4349 upgrade !!! They said I have to roll back to the previous ROM (3588) and there is a strong possibility of my losing apps/data during ROM downgrade(recommended a backup first). Forced closes are happening to many with the 4349 "upgrade" (19Apr2011)

UPDATE #2 - Just got email from viewsonic with downgrade method - believe it or not, they gave me a link to the XDA forums!!!!)
Here's the link: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1036956

I just downgraded the ROM to 3588 as requested by Viewsonic Customer Service using the XDA link they provided. Bottom line - all of the apps are still being forced close. VS has softbricked me via their 4349 upgrade. I'm waiting to hear back from VS and will post their recommendations.

massanutten

quality posts: 4 Private Messages massanutten
lloydrj wrote:I just downgraded the ROM to 3588 as requested by Viewsonic Customer Service using the XDA link they provided. Bottom line - all of the apps are still being forced close. VS has softbricked me via their 4349 upgrade. I'm waiting to hear back from VS and will post their recommendations.

Sorry to hear lloydrj. You have the links to xda-dev - a lot of informaton and people there. Here is another forum if you were not aware of: http://www.slatedroid.com/forum/102-viewsonic-viewpadg-tab/ . roebeet hangs out there as well as other knowledgable other developers. From my reading, I'm sure you'll have to learn to use nvflash. Good luck. If I stumble across something in slate or xda - I'll post back here for you.

yuusou

quality posts: 0 Private Messages yuusou

Anyone having sound problems viewing flash video using flash 10.2 hulu fix on Vegan Ginger RC1?

roebeet

quality posts: 10 Private Messages roebeet
massanutten wrote:Sorry to hear lloydrj. You have the links to xda-dev - a lot of informaton and people there. Here is another forum if you were not aware of: http://www.slatedroid.com/forum/102-viewsonic-viewpadg-tab/ . roebeet hangs out there as well as other knowledgable other developers. From my reading, I'm sure you'll have to learn to use nvflash. Good luck. If I stumble across something in slate or xda - I'll post back here for you.

I'm still waiting on the reason why they pulled 4349 - one thing I noticed is that a data wipe is almost certainly a requirement post-4349 upgrade.

As for telling users to go to XDA, that's actually a bit irresponsible of them. I know that it's a good site for information, but the bottom line is that they should be shoring up their OWN development resources, not using a hacking site. I know that VS management would frown on this, but CS seems to be in their own world at the moment.

And yes, I'll be on Slatedroid. I've actually built out two 1.2-based mods, with a third being tested. XDA is sticking with the 1.1-based ROMs since it offers customized kernels, but I'm moving towards 1.2 since that seems to be where the vendor is headed.

If VS backpedals and goes back to 1.1 again, I'll move back as well. But I'd be surprised if they did that, at this point.

lloydrj

roebeet wrote:I'm still waiting on the reason why they pulled 4349 - one thing I noticed is that a data wipe is almost certainly a requirement post-4349 upgrade.

As for telling users to go to XDA, that's actually a bit irresponsible of them. I know that it's a good site for information, but the bottom line is that they should be shoring up their OWN development resources, not using a hacking site. I know that VS management would frown on this, but CS seems to be in their own world at the moment.

And yes, I'll be on Slatedroid. I've actually built out two 1.2-based mods, with a third being tested. XDA is sticking with the 1.1-based ROMs since it offers customized kernels, but I'm moving towards 1.2 since that seems to be where the vendor is headed.

If VS backpedals and goes back to 1.1 again, I'll move back as well. But I'd be surprised if they did that, at this point.

Maybe this info will help you.

After upgrading stock 3588 by OTA to 4349, I did NOT do a factory reset. Forced closings started after a day. Used VS CS supplied link to XDA to re-load 3588. Forced closings still occurred 90% of the time. I tried to re-install 3588 and soft-bricked it. I found your link to re-install 3588 via NVFlash. I bit the bullet! Re-installation via NVFlash went well. Forced closings remained! I did a factory reset and re-loaded all apps - forced closings went away. That was late last night and I'll have to see if it remains OK.

VS CS told me that many were having forced close issues after OTA to 4349, so perhaps that's why it was pulled.

I did a Nenamark1 test after OTA (BEFORE problems!) to 4349 and got a score of 46-8 fps. Now back at 3588, the score is running 27-31. MUCH slower! :-(

My choices seem to be to wait for VS to make 4349 available (fixed?) or load the 4349 ROM from your links. Any feelings on success rate? Guess, I'll do a factory reset after install this time!

arnott

quality posts: 1 Private Messages arnott
arnott wrote:I tried to install yahoo messenger on my gtablet, from this page on xda. When I started yahoo messenger I got some error about incompatible version of video plugin.

which thread is the correct thread for yahoo messenger for gtablet ? I am running vegan 5.11.

Any suggestions ? thanks.

roebeet

lloydrj wrote:Maybe this info will help you.

After upgrading stock 3588 by OTA to 4349, I did NOT do a factory reset. Forced closings started after a day. Used VS CS supplied link to XDA to re-load 3588. Forced closings still occurred 90% of the time. I tried to re-install 3588 and soft-bricked it. I found your link to re-install 3588 via NVFlash. I bit the bullet! Re-installation via NVFlash went well. Forced closings remained! I did a factory reset and re-loaded all apps - forced closings went away. That was late last night and I'll have to see if it remains OK.

VS CS told me that many were having forced close issues after OTA to 4349, so perhaps that's why it was pulled.

I did a Nenamark1 test after OTA (BEFORE problems!) to 4349 and got a score of 46-8 fps. Now back at 3588, the score is running 27-31. MUCH slower! :-(

My choices seem to be to wait for VS to make 4349 available (fixed?) or load the 4349 ROM from your links. Any feelings on success rate? Guess, I'll do a factory reset after install this time!

I've been mostly successful with a 3588 to 4349 push up - on ocassion it has failed on me, causing a soft-brick. I keep wondering if VS saw this same issue and might have been the reason for pulling it, I'm not sure.

They should probably offer an official nvflash solution as a way to avoid RMA's. This is not unheard of -- Notion Ink does this, and even the Viewsonic Viewpad has an nvflash firmware. I keep hoping that maybe they are going to provide that, next time. (crosses fingers)

Wagnbat

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Wagnbat

A bit frustrated. I tried Vegan Ginger RC1 Stable and it worked fine, but I'm missing a lot of market apps. Namely Gmail, Google Earth, and Samurai II. I tried numerous 'market fix' attempts and was unsuccessful.

Loaded TNT Lite 4.4 which also works fantastic, but does not fix the Market app issue.

I'm thinking maybe because I'm in Guam, Google's not letting me see the stuff I want to see?

Also, in the market I can see free apps, but no paid apps.

joecooool

quality posts: 21 Private Messages joecooool
Wagnbat wrote:A bit frustrated. I tried Vegan Ginger RC1 Stable and it worked fine, but I'm missing a lot of market apps. Namely Gmail, Google Earth, and Samurai II. I tried numerous 'market fix' attempts and was unsuccessful.

Loaded TNT Lite 4.4 which also works fantastic, but does not fix the Market app issue.

I'm thinking maybe because I'm in Guam, Google's not letting me see the stuff I want to see?

Also, in the market I can see free apps, but no paid apps.

I had the same problem with TNT lite. I did the market fix a second time and it then worked.

By the way. I was in Office Depot over the weekend, they are now selling the tablets for $289.

cybermacgyver

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cybermacgyver

So, is anyone else experiencing complete audio failures? No sound whatsoever out of the tablet! Here's the funny thing, though: If, while silenced, you plug headphones into it, and remove them right away, the sound works again! Which tells me this is likely some sort of mechanical failure (cracked solder at the headphones switch?). I am running the official CM7 ROM with pershoot's kernel...

Bobulon

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Bobulon

The headphone thing is a known issue i've seen it talked about over at xda

sypher006

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sypher006

hi guy, kinda late to the party but i just received my order from last month. i live in canada and had a friend send it to me. anyways i am pleased with the performance so far but two dead pixel is annoying the heck outta me. i also notice that there are many horizontal pixel line up from left to right evenly and only visible under the right angle. these can be seen on from bottom to the top of the screen. how are viewsonic support for this kind of stuff?

borntohunt

quality posts: 103 Private Messages borntohunt

Hope ViewSonic gTablet has plans to migrate to Honeycomb Android 3.0 & give us an upgrade path once it's released.

Looks like the gTablet is getting some competition by Asus & Sony with Honeycomb Android 3.0.

http://dealnews.com/ASUS-Eee-Pad-Transformer-10-16-GB-Android-Tablet-for-399-free-shipping/457311.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&SID=VGJqNG1Bb0JDamdBQUVpUFdTc0FBQUd3&sku=761716&AID=10659349&PID=552179&is=REG&A=details&Q=

ASUS Eee Pad Transformer 10" 16GB Android Tablet

$399 + free shipping
B&H Photo-Video is taking preorders for the new, 1.5-lb. ASUS Eee Pad Transformer 10.1" 16GB LED-Backlit Internet Tablet with Google Android, model no. TF101-A1, for $399 with free shipping. That's list price, but it's the only vendor that's currently taking preorders for this popular, yet to be released tablet.
It features a NVIDIA Tegra 2 250 1GHz dual-core processor, 10.1" 1280x800 IPS multi-touch LED-backlit LCD, 1GB RAM, 16GB internal flash storage, 5-megapixel back-facing camera, 1.2-megapixel front-facing camera, Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR, 802.11n wireless, SD card slot, GPS, built-in gyroscope, Google Android 3.0 (Honeycomb), and more.

Brand: ASUS Computer International Model Number: TF101-A1
Posted 8 hr 42 min ago

http://www.engadget.com/2011/04/26/sony-to-launch-two-honeycomb-tablets/

Sony S1 and S2 dual-screen Honeycomb tablets get official

April 26th 2011

No annc't when it will be available or how much the price will be.

EDIT: (Add below)

Amazon & Best Buy sold out of the Asus Transformer Tablet quick this week:

http://www.engadget.com/2011/04/26/asus-eee-pad-transformer-goes-on-sale-in-us-immediately-sells-o/

ASUS Eee Pad Transformer goes on sale in US, immediately sells out at Amazon
April 26th 2011

http://www.amazon.com/Transformer-TF101-A1-10-1-Inch-Tablet-Computer/dp/B004U78J1G

http://www.amazon.ca/ASUS-TRANSFORMER-TF101-A1-Android-Separately/dp/B004U78J1G

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Asus+-+Eee+Pad+Transformer+Tablet+/+NVIDIA+Tegra+2+Processor+/+10.1%22+Display+/+1GB+Memory+/+16GB+Hard+Drive+-+Brown/Black/2475916.p?skuId=2475916&id=1218329537880

http://www.androidcentral.com/asus-eee-pad-transformer-listed-amazon-coming-may-7th

Asus Eee Pad Transformer listed on Amazon as coming May 7
Thursday, March 31, 2011

goldfishdave

quality posts: 0 Private Messages goldfishdave

Ordered my tablet via Amazon's goldbox, and the first unit hard three dead pixels, right near the center of the screen.

I contacted woot - and they cross shipped a new unit to me. Very good customer service.

Today, I received my second unit.. and no dead pixels .. ***BUT*** some dust under the screen.

I sent another email to woot, and I'm sure that they'll take care of me.. but seriously.... is this just my bad luck or are others having this same issue?

roebeet

cybermacgyver wrote:So, is anyone else experiencing complete audio failures? No sound whatsoever out of the tablet! Here's the funny thing, though: If, while silenced, you plug headphones into it, and remove them right away, the sound works again! Which tells me this is likely some sort of mechanical failure (cracked solder at the headphones switch?). I am running the official CM7 ROM with pershoot's kernel...

This might be a known issue. This used to be a problem on VEGAn-TAB, months ago.

As for the ASUS Transformer, $400 for the 16GB. Just got one.

zakbergdoll

quality posts: 0 Private Messages zakbergdoll

Ordered on Monday..Still haven't gotten shipping info. Where is my tablet please!!??

borntohunt

roebeet wrote:As for the ASUS Transformer, $400 for the 16GB. Just got one.

Congrats on getting one before they sold out this week. Glad they arrive to retailers May 7th so you should get yours shortly after that. Look forward to hearing about your experiences, roebeet.

EDIT: (Added below)

http://dealnews.com/ASUS-Eee-Pad-Transformer-10-16-GB-Android-Tablet-for-360-8-s-h/458144.html

ASUS Eee Pad Transformer 10" 16GB Android Tablet

$360 with coupon

Target offers preorders of the new, 1.5-lb. ASUS Eee Pad Transformer 10.1" 16GB LED-Backlit Internet Tablet with Google Android, model no. TF101-A1, for $399.99. Coupon code "TCA27BAR" cuts it to $359.99. With $7.78 for shipping, that's $31 under our mention from three days ago and the lowest total price we've seen for this yet-to-be-released device. Sales tax is added where applicable. It features a NVIDIA Tegra 2 250 1GHz dual-core processor, 10.1" 1280x800 IPS multi-touch LED-backlit LCD, 1GB RAM, 16GB internal flash storage, 5-megapixel back-facing camera, 1.2-megapixel front-facing camera, Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR, 802.11n wireless, SD card slot, GPS, built-in gyroscope, Google Android 3.0 (Honeycomb), and more.
This item is expected to ship in two to four weeks.
Model Number: TF101-A1

Bigone

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Bigone

I purchased a gTablet in March from Woot and updated the tablet with the clockwork mod and TNT Lite 4.4.0. Both updates worked fine.

I do not like TNT Lite 4.4.0 as much as what came with the original tablet. Is there a way to get back to the tablet exactly the way it came from Woot?

roebeet

Bigone wrote:I purchased a gTablet in March from Woot and updated the tablet with the clockwork mod and TNT Lite 4.4.0. Both updates worked fine.

I do not like TNT Lite 4.4.0 as much as what came with the original tablet. Is there a way to get back to the tablet exactly the way it came from Woot?

Getting back a pristine Woot! image is unlikely, but you can at least go back to stock via one of these: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=842000

Bigone

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Bigone

If I could find someone Woot! provided gTablet, maybe they could back it up and I could get a copy of the backup. I will try to do the restore to the one from the link provided, but I doubt if I will get everything that was on the originally provided unit. I am kicking myself for not doing a backup before I made my changes.

borntohunt

Roebeet probably knows this already, but Woot's one day sale today is the Viewsonic gTablet.

walterwu

quality posts: 7 Private Messages walterwu

Can I access videos stored on a network drive using:

a) stock rom
b) custom rom, and if so any one in particular
c) none of the above

TIA

stephengta2

quality posts: 0 Private Messages stephengta2

Hi I have a stock gtablet and tried to download a pdf reader. It appears to download but I cannot open a pdf as an attachment to an email.
I can't find any trace of the 'allegidly' downloaded ap in the applications area.
What am I doing wrong? Well, with the gtab, anyway.

S

epsteim

quality posts: 0 Private Messages epsteim

Can the G Tablet tether to a Blackberry Smart Phone to access the internet?

oljimhisself

quality posts: 0 Private Messages oljimhisself

Eight weeks today since I bought it.

I just received a call from US Merchants support telling me that they won't honor their warranty.

I noticed that I had to wiggle the plug to get it to charge. Finally, I sent it in under an RMA. Today they said that the charging nipple was pushed in and that that damage is not covered by their warranty.

I did nothing other than plug in the charger. If the piece cannot withstand normal treatment, it is not suitable for the purpose intended, and I should either get a repaired unit, or get my money back!

jazmatician

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jazmatician

I have the EXACT same issue. "Nipple" is detached from the motherboard and they say it's not covered by the warranty. I never did anything to it but plug & unplug it. I was beginning to wonder if my wife ran over it with the vacuum. Now, I know it's their shoddy workmanship.

oljimhisself wrote:Eight weeks today since I bought it.

I just received a call from US Merchants support telling me that they won't honor their warranty.

I noticed that I had to wiggle the plug to get it to charge. Finally, I sent it in under an RMA. Today they said that the charging nipple was pushed in and that that damage is not covered by their warranty.

I did nothing other than plug in the charger. If the piece cannot withstand normal treatment, it is not suitable for the purpose intended, and I should either get a repaired unit, or get my money back!

Amdusias

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Amdusias

Mine just went belly up. Won't charge, boot up or anything. I have tried multiple power-supplies.

alforchess

quality posts: 0 Private Messages alforchess
kensoraya wrote:hello don't forget 1) g-tablet has 16 gb storage 2) g-tablet has been proven for months 3) g-tablet has g-market 4) g-market has flash player

Love my gtab, especially for the price; it makes a great reader as well. But you do have to root and run a custom rom to get android market. I run the updated stock rom and like it fine, except occasionally running into software I'd like but can't get other places--like PlayON.

jpapanier

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jpapanier

The ViewSonic gTablet 10.1" Multi-touch Tablet has a really bad screen. From a company that makes monitors I would think they would use a better screen. Have to hold it just right to see screens on the web like You Tube. Not a good design at all. It does not work with some Lotus Notes E-mail. It was working with my Yahoo e-mail then just stopped. Keeps saying I don't have the right P/W? No cut and copy, paste. I would not recommend this device.

timothyw

quality posts: 3 Private Messages timothyw

I'm having same issue. For a bit, it worked when tilted to the side, but quit working. Trying to talk to Viewsonic to get it repaired now. Anyone have experience getting charging port repaired?

lkamho

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lkamho
timothyw wrote:I'm having same issue. For a bit, it worked when tilted to the side, but quit working. Trying to talk to Viewsonic to get it repaired now. Anyone have experience getting charging port repaired?

Mine just came up with the same charging port problem, it broke!! Does this come with a one-year warranty? This seems like a manufacture defect to me!

DennisWKam

quality posts: 22 Private Messages DennisWKam

Staff

lkamho wrote:Mine just came up with the same charging port problem, it broke!! Does this come with a one-year warranty? This seems like a manufacture defect to me!

Yeah, it looks like it comes with a 1 year ViewSonic warranty.

Feel free to email us at service@woot.com if you have any issues getting warranty support.