WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

HP Pavilion Elite PC with Intel Core i5 3.2GHz, 8GB RAM, 1TB Hard Drive, & Blu-ray

Speed to First Woot:
3m 54.000s
First Sucker:
dryploefo
Last Wooter to Woot:
conalcharles
Last Purchase:
3 years ago
Order Pace (rank):
Bottom 12% of Woot.com Woots
Bottom 36% of all Woots
Woots Sold (rank):
Top 37% of Woot.com Woots
Top 37% of all Woots

Purchaser Experience

• 26% first woot
  • 8% second woot
  • 26% < 10 woots
  • 20% < 25 woots
  • 19% ≥ 25 woots

Purchaser Seniority

• 23% joined today
  • 0% one week old
  • 3% one month old
  • 15% one year old
  • 57% > one year old

Quantity Breakdown

• 96% bought 1
  • 2% bought 2
  • 2% bought 3

Percentage of Sales Per Hour

6%
2%
1%
0%
1%
1%
3%
6%
7%
5%
9%
7%
4%
5%
4%
4%
8%
5%
4%
3%
3%
5%
4%
3%
12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

peterqstorm

quality posts: 1 Private Messages peterqstorm

Osama bin Laden is dead! Oh yeah, this item can be used to read all about it on the web.

Joshana

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Joshana
peterqstorm wrote:Osama bin Laden is dead! Oh yeah, this item can be used to read all about it on the web.

USA USA USA USA!

JoeLE11

quality posts: 4 Private Messages JoeLE11

The first bin Laden-free woot!. Feels good. We deserve a wootoff! to celebrate!

ap210

quality posts: 47 Private Messages ap210

OBL has left the building...

In for 1!

1. 11/6Rmba
  2. 11/13Scba
  3. 11/16LtchWlssSystm
  4. 11/16Gmbrdg
  5. 11/16SnDskPlyr
  6. 11/16UFO
  7. 11/16LtchWlssHdphns"lbl fll ff"
  8. 11/17LtchXbxhdst
  9. 11/173xLkFrg
  10. 11/25iPdShfflClck
  11. 12/62xBpMntrs
  12. 12/133xNxs25XM

whatthe6789

quality posts: 1 Private Messages whatthe6789
JoeLE11 wrote:The first bin Laden-free woot!. Feels good. We deserve a wootoff! to celebrate!

If only it were that easy...

i24u

quality posts: 15 Private Messages i24u

This will play games.

mollytim

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mollytim

Not Sandy Bridge; anyone else disappointed?

uberporsche

quality posts: 2 Private Messages uberporsche

Happy Dance,
Happy Dance,

Osama bin Laden is burning IN HELL !

~ Oh and this i5 is sweet, but about $200 too high

i24u

quality posts: 15 Private Messages i24u

8gb ram. I'll pass. Anything over 6 is wastefull and and with only a few weeks left in my life I don't want to be wastefull.

DrunkCat

quality posts: 6 Private Messages DrunkCat

As gamer who was in the hobby back when ATI was just coming out with the HD series and AGP still existed; how good is this in terms of being able to pimp out?

i.e. Is it good enough to game with out of the box and at a later date, be able to upgrade to game even better? (Will it be compatible with stuff for the next two years. ?)

Relax.

dominickd3

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dominickd3

If you buy it I hope you have better luck than I had. My HP hasn't worked since day 1.
I am trying to get someone from HP to either give me my money back or come fix it. I will NEVER buy a HP Computer again.

rileyper

quality posts: 67 Private Messages rileyper

This computer is amazing, and worth it, the crapware is low, norton is easy to remove, very fast, plays portal 2 really well

crysis and crysis 2 untested

D3lusional

quality posts: 2 Private Messages D3lusional

This looks like a pretty sweet deal. Has the same specs as my ASUS down to the graphics card I put in myself (i5 650 3.2ghz, 8gb ram, hd5570 graphics card, TB HDD)but with the added bonus of built in wireless and a blu-ray for only ~$100 more. As for gaming I haven't done to much but I can tell you this will run Crysis on all high (goes up to "very high") settings. Where was this deal when I was shopping for a PC Woot? And with the 23'' famous maker monitor, which I am also using, this looks like a nice moderately priced set up.

ditwad

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ditwad
peterqstorm wrote:Osama bin Laden is dead! Oh yeah, this item can be used to read all about it on the web.

We know who you are, OSAMA BIN LADEN. We just know that you said that on May 1st, 2011, your life is going to end. And we don’t want to step on any toes or anything, but based on trends so far… well, we’ll just have to see, won’t we?

bpeterson82

quality posts: 52 Private Messages bpeterson82

This comes with a 64-bit operating system, wich can use the 8GB of memory, BUT, it's an i5 processor so you really wont feel the speed that the 8Gigs could give you if it was an i7.

borntohunt

quality posts: 103 Private Messages borntohunt
kehoteleaf wrote:Product Website

That's for HP Pavilion Elite HPE-500z series, and NOT for the HP HPE-240F.

Here's the correct one:

HP Pavilion Elite HPE-240f Desktop PC Product Web Site

staticoverdub

quality posts: 0 Private Messages staticoverdub

Dealnews.com has this as a current low for this computer by $250ish. Bestbuy has a similar one, but refurb'd, Athlon X6, and no TV tuner for about the same after tax and shipping. I pulled the trigger on this instead.

Good deal, and the only HP I've ever owned broke when Diablo killed me; I punched it.

I can attest to their ridiculousness as far as making people pay for system restore discs. Cost me $20 way back when, even though they probably should have just been included. I'll be putting a clean install of 7 Ultimate on this guy. Can't wait

borntohunt

JinnRikki

quality posts: 1 Private Messages JinnRikki

A 300 watt power supply is a little on the lite side, especially if you plan on any upgrades (video card). Buy this, get yourself a good 600 watt supply and have happy computing for years to come.

ditwad

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ditwad

We know who you are, OSAMA BIN LADEN. We just know that you said that on May 1st, 2011, your life is going to end. And we don’t want to step on any toes or anything, but based on trends so far… well, we’ll just have to see, won’t we?

Chaosdreamer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Chaosdreamer
borntohunt wrote:That's for HP Pavilion Elite HPE-500z series, and NOT for the HP HPE-240F.

Here's the correct one:

HP Pavilion Elite HPE-240f Desktop PC Product Web Site

Thanks for the updated website... especially since it includes the "Alerts" on the right... let's hope Woot! didn't end up with the bad chipsets! Intel Chipset Design Issue May Affect Certain HP Desktops

staticoverdub

quality posts: 0 Private Messages staticoverdub
JinnRikki wrote:A 300 watt power supply is a little on the lite side, especially if you plan on any upgrades (video card). Buy this, get yourself a good 600 watt supply and have happy computing for years to come.

Agreed. Better yet, wait til the PSU craps out, then upgrade the video card too.

vladistov

quality posts: 51 Private Messages vladistov

Celebrating the death of any creature is a disgusting act of hubris.

bigfink

quality posts: 1 Private Messages bigfink

Ok first of all the amount of ram in your computer is not utilized by the given speed of a processor. It only matters how many programs you run at any given time. You have no idea what you are talking about. Secondly this computer is way over priced. I STRONGLY recommend you look elsewhere if you are considering a new pc purchase. Alright, let's talk about gaming the graphics card in this computer is crap. It will not run Crysis one or two at anything above bare minimum settings at best. It sells on newegg.com for 60 bucks. What a joke. Lastly the processor is an outdated last gen i-5. You can buy a brand new sandy bridge gen cpu for 150 bucks. Do the math. Not worth it.

brendan948725

quality posts: 39 Private Messages brendan948725

I'm shocked there isn't a convenient "famous maker" monitor on sellout.woot today.

*MOST RECENT WOOTS!*

• Random Crap
  • Light Blocking Curtains and Rod
  • HP Deskjet Wireless

• 20 Woots! (5 Bungled Original Communicator)
  • 27 Shirts!
  • 5 Sellouts!
  • 2 Homes!
  • 1 Sport!
  • 2 Techs!
  • 1 Wine!
  • 1 Accessories!
  • 2 Pops!

nightwolf667

quality posts: 1 Private Messages nightwolf667
bpeterson82 wrote:This comes with a 64-bit operating system, wich can use the 8GB of memory, BUT, it's an i5 processor so you really wont feel the speed that the 8Gigs could give you if it was an i7.

lolwut? Granted it's a a dual core, but there's quad core i5's too. Also, I assume you mean an X58 versus the 1156 motherboard for memory usage? Cause there IS 1156 motherboards as well... The difference between the i5 and i7 in memory usage efficiency is going to be negligible to any who just want an HP system... For those that actually care about that slight bit of performance boost, they'll spend a lot more on a full system.

The i5 is a solid processor, and this system is alright (spec-wise.. granted still an HP). This can easily handle more than just internet browsing.. that dedicated video can handle a decent amount of games at 1080 res with low settings, or higher settings at 720 res. It appears as though this video card can even handle fallout 3 and L4D at a decent framerate on medium settings... It's nothing to brag about, but it's far better than any onboard video you'll get.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-5570,2552-6.html
Note... the 5570 used in those reviews has GDDR5, and this video card supposedly has GDDR3. So the performance will be slightly lower, but not entirely out of the ballpark of those benchmarks.

peterqstorm

quality posts: 1 Private Messages peterqstorm
ditwad wrote:We know who you are, OSAMA BIN LADEN. We just know that you said that on May 1st, 2011, your life is going to end. And we don’t want to step on any toes or anything, but based on trends so far… well, we’ll just have to see, won’t we?

Dang it, you figured me out! I give up! Track my IP (on this handy dandy woot) so that you can cash in on the reward for my head!

vladistov wrote:Celebrating the death of any creature is a disgusting act of hubris.

"The death of one man captivated ans unites the United States of America as a whole; while most will say justice has been served, we need to pause, reflect, and remember how this one man has brought America together.
We must not give Osama bin Laden attention, but rather, we must think of those hurt by him, and above all, we must stand alongside our fellow countrymen united through love, not hate." -Me

borntohunt

brendan948725 wrote:I'm shocked there isn't a convenient "famous maker" monitor on sellout.woot today.

The deals.woot web link is in Woot's great write up for today's HP deal. Here it is again:

Famous Maker 23” Widescreen Full HD 1080p LCD Monitor with HDMI for $139.99

Thanks for the great hilarious write up today Woot! That was a Hoot! How'd you find that whacko web link to someone trying to proclaim the end of the world on a specific date??? God Bless Us All. Wish we had a photo or cartoon or graphics image of that funny story with some using their HP HPE-240f PC with the 23" 1080p display in one hand and the good Wine.Woot deal in the other hand.

Chaosdreamer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Chaosdreamer

Oops, just noticed the "no Sandy Bridge" comment and the fact that the description says: Intel H57 Express. Many apologies for the slur on Woot's good name...

D3lusional

quality posts: 2 Private Messages D3lusional
bigfink wrote:Alright, let's talk about gaming the graphics card in this computer is crap. It will not run Crysis one or two at anything above bare minimum settings at best.

That's just not true, I'm running Crysis one on all high settings with out any slow down on a machine with these exact specs. I have also played COD:MW 2 and Fallout: New Vegas on the highest settings with no problems. Sure this isn't top of the line and will soon be dated, but for moderate gaming it works great. And if your like me and don't want to mess with building your own PC and don't need the newest/fastest this is a decent deal.

vladistov

quality posts: 51 Private Messages vladistov

Folks looking to game well on a lower budget should check the recommended requirements on any pending releases they might be interested in. For many, it has been unwise until now to sacrifice clock speed for the multi-core frenzy; but four cores is becoming standard and I'd advise purchasing a two-core system with caution and due research.

peaceetc

quality posts: 7 Private Messages peaceetc

Anyone who will want to do any upgrades to their computers before the end of their warranty will want to avoid HP. From what I understand, opening the computer voids the warranty. I'd suggest Dell, who actually encourages people to make changes. They build a lot of their cases with room to add more hard drives, etc.

I've won a lot of bags of crud. Envy me.

mseverns

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mseverns

Does this get further discounted after May 21?

X

mseverns

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mseverns

Ah! The price goes UP after May 21! (Harder to find then)...

X

buffaloed

quality posts: 28 Private Messages buffaloed
staticoverdub wrote:
I can attest to their ridiculousness as far as making people pay for system restore discs. Cost me $20 way back when, even though they probably should have just been included. I'll be putting a clean install of 7 Ultimate on this guy. Can't wait

It includes a Backup and Recovery Manager to create your own restore disks. It takes about an hour. You should create those regardless of whether you do a clean install because one will be an Applications & Drivers disk. That disk can save you a lot of time and grief on a clean install.

sleepygamer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sleepygamer
D3lusional wrote:That's just not true, I'm running Crysis one on all high settings with out any slow down on a machine with these exact specs. I have also played COD:MW 2 and Fallout: New Vegas on the highest settings with no problems. Sure this isn't top of the line and will soon be dated, but for moderate gaming it works great. And if your like me and don't want to mess with building your own PC and don't need the newest/fastest this is a decent deal.

Unless you are playing at a crazy small resolution, I'm gonna call Agrajag's life on that one.

I have a desktop for recording with specs far higher than this (i7 950 / 12GB RAM / HD5750) and Crysis on high at 1080p? Hell no. It runs like crap.

The 5570 in this is weak. You'll be able to knock out a few older or more casual games easily, but most modern games post-2005 won't run well unless you cut the settings out and run the resolution low.

That said, this is an okay price for a machine like this. It would make a decent video / audio workstation, although would be a little held back in rendering by only having a dual core. The PSU would need upgrading if you wanted to add a new graphics card. I would recommend upgrading the PSU anyway, as cheaper models shipped with OEMs tend to... well... suck.

Aside from that, it would probably make for a very good casual entertainment PC. HD Tuner and a Blu-ray player mean that if you hook it up to a HDTV, hide it in the back or the side and set up a wireless M+KB, you'd have a nifty, fairly powerful set up for a HTPC, at a fairly decent cost.

If you buy one, be ready to wipe the usual HP bloatware, too. :D Hope this helps.

toniob

quality posts: 1 Private Messages toniob

I have aa DVD recorder which needs replacement.

Any knowledge of how this would work?

kliu0x52

quality posts: 4 Private Messages kliu0x52
vladistov wrote:four cores is becoming standard and I'd advise purchasing a two-core system with caution and due research.

What matters most is the THREAD count, not the core count. Core count is still important, but it's secondary to the thread count. Intel feels the same way, BTW: what's the difference between the i5-2400, i5-2300, and i5-2390? The first two are 4C/4T Sandy Bridge while the last one is a 2C/4T Sandy Bridge.

This is a 2C/4T Clarkdale. I'd prefer 4/4, but 2/4 isn't that bad.

kliu0x52

quality posts: 4 Private Messages kliu0x52
sleepygamer wrote:most modern games post-2005 won't run well unless you cut the settings out and run the resolution low

Okay, that's exaggerating, since the mid-range 5570 can easily beat the top-tier 2006 video card, and many games do not require top-tier cards.

I can play BioShock (2007 game) on "high" settings at my monitor's native 1280x1024 resolution (higher res than the 720p used by consoles) at playable framerates with my 6EU (non-K version) Sandy Bridge IGP. A 5570 is MUCH better than the Sandy Bridge IGP.

The 5570 is a fairly good card, and if you consider that this is a consumer-grade prefab PC and not a self-build or a niche-market Alienware, I am surprised that HP would include something this far up.