WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

We're at a really weird time and place in American politics. Not that it's not always pretty weird, but in the days of the internet, sarcastic "news" shows like The Colbert Report and The Daily Show, and free-falling standards of journalistic practice it's SCARY how quickly misinformation can spread and cement itself as truth even in the face of thorough debunking, especially when a senator can lie on the senate floor, ADMIT to lying by explaining anyone who took his lie seriously missed the point, and then have his lie scrubbed from the public record so that the damage can propagate with no evidence of where it started. So really it shouldn't surprise you when articles from The Onion, a newspaper I normally wouldn't have to point out is completely satirical except that it's relevant to the blog, show up in people's Facebook and Twitter feeds with various comments about how shocked, horrified, disgusted, or amused they are that such a thing is happening. Now there's a single, handy archive for just these sorts of things, with Literally Unbelievable.

Screen shot 2011-05-27 at 12.31.53 PM

No doubt inspired by the rash of angry and completely misinformed rants about this piece on a fictional "Abortionplex" (most of the posts so far are comments about it), Literally Unbelievable takes the more righteous, angry, and clueless people on Facebook and posts their comments for all to mock. Before you move to defend people for the innocent crime of letting a joke whiz over their heads, know that their names are censored to prevent harassment. And also, they shared this stuff on Facebook; it's not like someone stole their diaries.

Screen shot 2011-05-27 at 12.33.12 PM

If you're anything like us, the first few entries will evoke cynical laughter as you marvel at how some people can be so clueless, followed by a slow shift to concern as you see how many people are already posted on the site. Finally, it dawns on you that each of these people gets to vote, and will do so under the same bizarro-world prism that makes them completely immune to sarcasm and irrationally-quick to anger. And then you'll just want to curl up in a ball and cry.

Screen shot 2011-05-27 at 12.32.48 PM

Have you ever fallen for an Onion headline? Would you be the smug jerk who points it out to a Facebook friend? Think we're all jerks and The Onion shouldn't even be making fun of such serious stuff? Let us know in the comments.

yesthatmcgurk

quality posts: 0 Private Messages yesthatmcgurk

What about fake stories from Christwire?

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/rachel-maddow-slams-conservatives-sarah-palin-for-fake-story-on-satirical-website/

somewhiteguy

quality posts: 4 Private Messages somewhiteguy

I'll admit that I've been fooled by an Onion headline, but that's because my feed reader keeps the source titles small, so I tend to click through before getting too enraged.
Didn't the Onion post an article that some newspaper picked up and posted before they had to redact it? I think it was this one here.

DennisG2010

quality posts: 20 Private Messages DennisG2010

The Onion is no less believable than Fox News...

At least the Onion acknowledges that they're not being truthful.

smithmax13

quality posts: 0 Private Messages smithmax13

I love all the people saying "read the article, it's true!" Are you guys actually clicking through to the Onion, and not groking it?

lipophilia

quality posts: 11 Private Messages lipophilia
DennisG2010 wrote:The Onion is no less believable than Fox News...

-----------------
The Onion has the significant advantage in credibility because they do not CLAIM to be "fair and balanced." What's really amusing (in a sad, sick way) is to see how many people fall for that line and even cite that quote to debunk legitimate news outlets.

jdorritie

quality posts: 3 Private Messages jdorritie

Rabble rabble rabble, Fox News is dumb, rabble rabble rabble.

jdorritie

quality posts: 3 Private Messages jdorritie

I love it when "progressives" use singular examples of a few conservatives acting stupidly as proof positive that they are all Jatravartid. It just shows such a lack of any sort of ability to critically think.

A certain number of people will believe ANYTHING. Usually its hard to get a belief to poll UNDER 10% for any given side. Its almost impossible. Aliens, Angels, BigFoot, 9/11, The Holocaust, whatever you want, there is at least 10% of the people who will believe the incredibly Jatravartid side of the argument. And no, they're not all "Rethuglicans."

Google "dihydrogen monoxide petition" for an example. There's a Democratic congressman from Georgia who believes that the island of Guam is going to "tip over" from overpopulation. And yes, there's plenty of conservative dummies out there too, like this old Senator who apparently doesn't understand the internet.

It doesn't prove whatever juvenile point you're trying to make about the "other side" either way, it just makes you look biased and Jatravartid. Just like your sworn enemy, Rupert Murdoch.

djdole

quality posts: 0 Private Messages djdole
somewhiteguy wrote:I'll admit that I've been fooled by an Onion headline, but that's because my feed reader keeps the source titles small, so I tend to click through before getting too enraged.
Didn't the Onion post an article that some newspaper picked up and posted before they had to redact it? I think it was this one here.

I'm not sure about the Neil Armstrong one, but Fox did plagiarize The Onion by reprinting the Obama 75,000 word email story..
Report on the event here.

xmacro

quality posts: 0 Private Messages xmacro

Never ceases to amaze me how self-righteous progressives can be. "Smug" doesn't even begin to describe the condescension coming from the Left these days

DennisG2010 wrote:The Onion is no less believable than Fox News...

Golly gee willikers!! A talking point from Howard Dean on MSNBC! So original and thought-provoking.

olperfesser

quality posts: 2 Private Messages olperfesser

What never ceases to amaze me is how each side quotes their experts to show how ignorant the others are. Conservative, liberal, libertarian, progressive, whatever. It doesn't matter. politics is still a game to politicians, and what is said has no real meaning, as it is just a ploy for votes. The fact that there is never a "none of the above" choice in any election shows how true this is.

Its all about power, control and money. Never is it really about truth, justice and the common good.

The issue here is, of course, how humor is used to show up the pompous, the self righteous and the humorless.

graized

quality posts: 0 Private Messages graized
olperfesser wrote:The fact that there is never a "none of the above" choice in any election shows how true this is.

I take it you've never participated in an election seeing as there is always a "write in" section...

whitenoise25

quality posts: 0 Private Messages whitenoise25
xmacro wrote:Never ceases to amaze me how self-righteous progressives can be. "Smug" doesn't even begin to describe the condescension coming from the Left these days

Golly gee willikers!! A talking point from Howard Dean on MSNBC! So original and thought-provoking.

Certainly the left can be smug. Let's pull back a bit and just look at what we've been through as a country over the last 10 years. You had an administration that couldn't have been more certain about so many issues that turned out to be catastrophic for the country. I wish I could have been a fly on the wall when Donald Rumsfeld visited Bill Clinton while he was president and told him how crucial Missile defense and taking out Saddam Hussein where to American security. Wrong and wrong. The conservatives in addition to not being very nice guys where the grownups in the room. Now, however, they've just become caricatures of their most uncompromising predecessors. Torture/ deficits don't matter tax cuts/ and an intolerant stance on same sex marriage. Often wrong and uncompromising. The farther we get away from the civil war the less the GOP are on the right side of history. I'm speaking in generalities here but these criticisms will become like cement around their necks over time. Evolve or die.