2%
2%
12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

wootalyzer

quality posts: 1 Private Messages wootalyzer

Wootalyzer's Pricing Post! - The price of today's woot item is saved here for future reference
------------------------------------------------------------
Invicta Men's Watch
$59.99 + $5 Standard Shipping
Condition: New

*DISCLAIMER* Wootalyzer! is in no way affiliated with Woot!, and this post may not always be here!

jeffdrafttech

quality posts: 3 Private Messages jeffdrafttech

Please define "quatrs movement."

[MOD: Noticed that too. Emailed in for a fix.]

bpr2

quality posts: 181 Private Messages bpr2

Invicta at Amazon

that was fun while it lasted!

StanleyS

quality posts: 4 Private Messages StanleyS

Let the complaints about Invicta's inflated MSRPs begin in 3...2...1

bpr2

quality posts: 181 Private Messages bpr2
StanleyS wrote:Let the complaints about Invicta's inflated MSRPs begin in 3...2...1

Please explain.

that was fun while it lasted!

StanleyS

jeffdrafttech wrote:Please define "quatrs movement."

Apparently, Woot hasn't sold enough stuff in the past 10 years to afford spellcheck software.

StanleyS

bpr2 wrote:Please explain.

This is a $600 watch only in the minds of Invicta's marketing people. NO ONE has ever paid that price for this watch.

vladistov

quality posts: 50 Private Messages vladistov

There's this thing I do, where I'm on the fence about a Woot! when it opens. So, rather than make a hasty purchase late in the day, I sleep on it, and in a way leave it to Fate. If it's still there in the morning and I feel good about it, I buy; if it's sold out, I either feel I've dodged a bullet, or more often than not, I give myself the face-palm. Well, I did that with the recent Timex watches, and boy does this Invicta rub it in.

Folks, if you're at all interested, just remember it's the model you desired that's going to be sold out when you wake up!

uberskippy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages uberskippy
StanleyS wrote:This is a $600 watch only in the minds of Invicta's marketing people. NO ONE has ever paid that price for this watch.

So how much is it really worth? I mean if it's a $200 watch that's not bad. If it's a $99 watch screw it.

vladistov

jeffdrafttech wrote:Please define "quatrs movement."

[MOD: Noticed that too. Emailed in for a fix.]

But it doesn't say 'squatrs movement'; if you can't be thankful for what you have, be thankful for what you don't.

sasmasterj

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sasmasterj

I cant even find any other information on these watches over the web....

StanleyS

sasmasterj wrote:I cant even find any other information on these watches over the web....

http://www.invictawatch.com or were you being sarcastic. Sometimes it's hard to tell here.

StanleyS

uberskippy wrote:So how much is it really worth? I mean if it's a $200 watch that's not bad. If it's a $99 watch screw it.

A quick Google search didn't find anyone else selling these exact models. I'm sure that you'd be happy with any of these for $60, though.

sasmasterj

StanleyS wrote:A quick Google search didn't find anyone else selling these exact models. I'm sure that you'd be happy with any of these for $60, though.

yea i was looking for exact price of these watches... there website doesn't even price lol

knowitall21

quality posts: 0 Private Messages knowitall21

Is it just me or do these look EXACTLY like this Nautica watch?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0049N5JUU?ref=endl_rd

Looks like a rebrand to me...

Boxymoron

quality posts: 4 Private Messages Boxymoron

Thank you, Woot, for putting the watch to scale. Helps out a lot in deciding that these watches are too massive for my stick-thin wrists.

vladistov

I'd say that $70-80 is a fair guess to market value; not more than $100. Remember, even if it's a ten dollar savings, you're looking at a 15% price reduction. That's nothing to scoff at; indeed, people make a larger fuss over smaller percentages all the time.

At this price, if you like the watch, buy it. The important thing is not that it's a $60 sale with a $595 MSRP; but rather, that it's not a $200 sale with a $595 MSRP.

StanleyS

sasmasterj wrote:yea i was looking for exact price of these watches... there website doesn't even price lol

$60 is the exact price of these watches. If you told someone you paid $600 they would just laugh at you, and I don't mean "laugh" in a good way.

sasmasterj

StanleyS wrote:$60 is the exact price of these watches. If you told someone you paid $600 they would just laugh at you, and I don't mean "laugh" in a good way.

yea I mean I know they are not what woot has it listed as MSRP, but I grabbed the black ion, pretty decent look for $65.

GSimmons01

quality posts: 3 Private Messages GSimmons01
knowitall21 wrote:Is it just me or do these look EXACTLY like this Nautica watch?

Definitely looks like a rebrand. In fact the current "Invicta" company is a newish company that bought the rights to the old watch company's brand. I will say that I DO actually recommend their automatic watches. Even my horologist admires their true automatic watches which aren't obnoxiously fancy, use good Swiss parts, and bring automatic diver watches down to the common man's reach. I own just one, but I wear it waaaay more than my Omega. I guess it's like a "daily driver watch."

Quartz watches aren't really special, but the black and rose gold versions look great and I think $60 is a great price for a watch that has a probable fair price of $150.

I agree that $600 is not happenin'

adell

quality posts: 0 Private Messages adell
knowitall21 wrote:Is it just me or do these look EXACTLY like this Nautica watch?

Yes, the second/minute/hour hands are even identical.

Other men's invicta diving watches with a leather wristband http://tinyurl.com/9ap8v7r are listed from $60-120.

This http://www.amazon.com/Invicta-10507-Corduba-Carbon-Polyurethane/dp/B0071CKCN0/ref=pd_sbs_watch_1 watch is probably the closest relation, it's listed at $167.

HermXIV

quality posts: 0 Private Messages HermXIV

I'm just going to leave this here and hope you click it.

Google search on this watch

bmmeup

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bmmeup

I've owned quite a few Invictas over the years. It's a real hit or miss brand...I've had some that have lasted years and other that fell apart in a few months (hands falling off, crowns popping out, etc.) For this brand, 60 bucks is fair for an automatic movement but not really for a quartz movement. Save your money and for a little more cash buy a nice Hamilton or an Omega that will last for years and you can even pass down to your kids ...IMHO

sgibbs

quality posts: 1 Private Messages sgibbs

hehthuryo

quality posts: 36 Private Messages hehthuryo

Invictas truly are hit or miss. I've bought a dozen of them. The Russian Divers are excellent quality but besides those I have not been impressed by any of them. This looks like a miss to me because I bought a similar one and it should be sent out in bags o' crap.

blakem001

quality posts: 2 Private Messages blakem001

I would consider it if it had a metal band. Or came with tickets to see a metal band.

fbergeon

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fbergeon

It looks like they manufacture cheap watches that try to look like major brands... (e.g. Rolex look-alike on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Invicta-Diver-Collection-Silver-Tone-Watch/dp/B0006AAS7E)

The Wikipedia page mentions a history in Switzerland but the company got bought by an "investment group" a few years ago:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Invicta_Watch_Group

I think I'll pass...

fgarriel

quality posts: 21 Private Messages fgarriel

Is this where we continue our "Watches are redundant for anyone who grew up with a cell phone and are therefore only useful for old people" discussion?

So close to buying (again), but I'm hesitating because of the leather band. I'm way too forgetful to ever take it off before showering or swimming. And you know what they say about aging... your memory is the 2nd thing to go.

nmoff

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nmoff
sgibbs wrote:From the Invicta website:

http://www.invictawatch.com/collections/view-model/12124-specialty

THANK YOU for posting this link! I was so worried after scrolling through the comments that I had been conned, but their website shows it's legit. All the best.

gooose53

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gooose53

The Nautica watch has a Japanese movement where the Invicta has a Swiss movement (at least it says Swiss parts). Don't know where you would find a Swiss movement watch for $60...

wenda86

quality posts: 9 Private Messages wenda86
gooose53 wrote:The Nautica watch has a Japanese movement where the Invicta has a Swiss movement (at least it says Swiss parts). Don't know where you would find a Swiss movement watch for $60...

Quartz movement in these watches are worth not more than 20 bucks each (even if you are talking about buying each piece individually). I have seen them in wholesale of lot of 100pcs and each costing not more than 3 bucks each. Give it the Swiss label and you are guaranteed to have a lot of markups.

Nevertheless, 60 bucks is a fair price for such watch but definitely not a deal maker.

ptemmer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ptemmer

What happened to the six?
There's no six.
That's not good.

I don't want to go through life sixless.

kurahee

quality posts: 4 Private Messages kurahee

Ok, Folks. I own a couple of invicta watches, so I'll try to answer this in a way that will help people that don't know much about watches, or more directly, Invicta.

First, as mentioned earlier, forget about the MSRP. Invicta's best marketing ploy of all time was to create numbers for an MSRP that gives the average, uneducated buyer the idea that they are getting the best deal on the planet. No, you aren't. If you buy this watch, you are getting a watch that is not worth $600. and probably not even the $60 that you are thinking of shelling out for this watch.

First of all, take away the MSRP and just look at the $60 price. Is it worth that? because if it is to you, this is a no-brainer if you are looking for a fairly cheap, reasonable, reliable watch.

Invicta has a reputation for large case sizes. This one is no different, as it has a 45mm case width. Fairly large, but not in today's market. for a man, 45mm is a pretty good size for a watch you want to be seen, but not so big that you look like Randy Jackson of A.I. fame.

it is a "swiss parts quartz" which means that there may be one or two parts on the watch or the watch movement that were made or sourced in Switzerland, home of primo watches, great chocolate, and questionable bank accounts. But as anybody in the watch world knows, a watch that has the words "Swiss made" at the bottom of the dial are worth a LOT more than other watches because the swiss are fanatical about their watch making and the reputation of watches that carry that "swiss made" label. This watch does not have this.

What this means, in all probability (but I don't know for sure) that this watch was manufactured in China, which means Chinese parts, Chinese labor, Chinese costs. That's how a watch that costs $60 to you can still be making some money for Invicta.

This isn't necessarily bad, mind you. But it does mean you aren't getting a watch that will be fought over by relatives after you die. And if it breaks, you won't cry. What you do get is a watch that will keep good time (it's quartz, so it will be accurate) for a few bucks. Now, the quiestions you should ask yourself... 1) do you need a watch? 2) do you like this watch? 3) can you afford the $65?

woot! is giving you three choices, and for the money, it's not a bad deal at all. It's $60 plus tax and shipping. For that, you get a decent looking watch that will more than likely keep relatively good time.

a couple of things I noticed in the description. The strap is made out of "Textured black action leather". I don't know what that means, but it's either cheap leather, pleather, or some sort of material that is man-made. The band length is no where to be found (at least for me), so if you have a large wrist, you are risking that the watch will even fit. The second thing is the crystal. It's not Sapphire, a very nice, very scratch resistant material. Flame fusion is the name of their in-house crystal-making method. That's it. I have no idea how scratch resistant it makes their crystals, but it's a cool marketing phrase made up by the folks at Invicta.

If you are still reading this, you are obviously interested in the watch and learning something too. Which is always good. Invicta is a watch brand that has been flooding the watch market for a number of years now, primarily selling through distribution channels such as TV shopping networks, primarily ShopNBC.

If you have never owned an Invicta watch, this isn't a bad price point to enter into the brand. But be clear. This is NOT a $600 watch. The watch most likely will appear cheap to you in some way. And you will be majorly disappointed if you actually think it's a watch you would actually drop $600 on.

For me, the biggest concern would be the band, I don't know if it's actually leather or not, but my guess is that it is cheap leather if it is. The lume will be fine, and the watch will keep good time because of the quartz.

And it's got a pretty decent look to it. All in all, I've seen worse for more money. But personal taste should prevail.

Good luck!

One final note: The two watches I have purchased were decent watches, but nothing I'd pass down to the next generation in my family. However, they both keep good time, and I wear one almost exclusively when I do work on the car or in the yard. Both watches have very cheap bands. Neither one was purchased with the idea that it would be a dress watch or the star of my watch collection.

montyhall425

quality posts: 0 Private Messages montyhall425

Not sure about this one. I bought that Invicta Divers watch they had up there which wasn't even two months ago. It's already stopped running.

vladistov

fgarriel wrote:Is this where we continue our "Watches are redundant for anyone who grew up with a cell phone and are therefore only useful for old people" discussion?

So close to buying (again), but I'm hesitating because of the leather band. I'm way too forgetful to ever take it off before showering or swimming. And you know what they say about aging... your memory is the 2nd thing to go.

Don't stoke the fire! But seriously, it does open up a conversation that I feel should persuade more people than dissuade them from a machine that's going to be around a long, long time.

Let the unbelievers shake their fists at the heavens while the great celestial clocks move their parts without any more regard than an elephant has for the obstruction of an insolent gnat.

mrzoidberg

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mrzoidberg

I didn't want a watch before I saw this woot

disturbed0ne

quality posts: 9 Private Messages disturbed0ne

I've been looking for a watch!

...unfortunately I prefer metal bands (in my watches and in my music). Maybe next time.

moewoman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages moewoman

Hmmmm...my search can't turn up these dials matched with these bands...but Frankenstein-ing what I did find together, $60 seems to be.....drum roll.....full retail price.

Frown...I bought 3 on an impulse before I checked a bit more deeply.

StanleyS

nmoff wrote:THANK YOU for posting this link! I was so worried after scrolling through the comments that I had been conned, but their website shows it's legit.

You must be new here. Oh wait, you are!
"...their website shows it's legit." Funniest post yet, but it is still early!