3%
4%
12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

wootalyzer

quality posts: 1 Private Messages wootalyzer

Wootalyzer's Pricing Post! - The price of today's woot item is saved here for future reference
------------------------------------------------------------
Razer Lycosa Gaming Keyboard
$39.99 + $5 Standard OR $9 Two-Day OR $12 One-Day Shipping
Condition: New

*DISCLAIMER* Wootalyzer! is in no way affiliated with Woot!, and this post may not always be here!

FrankTownend

quality posts: 0 Private Messages FrankTownend
CowboyDann wrote: Over 600 mixed reviews averaging around 3 stars over at newegg

I'm concerned about their always connected to the internet, always got an eye on you way of operation.

gravityisweak

quality posts: 27 Private Messages gravityisweak

I've been gaming for a long time, and always manage to be just as competetive with the keyboards that come with my system. They keys havent fallen off, they dont miss random keystrokes, and they don't have any software to install.

If it aint broke, dont fix it.

chipgreen

quality posts: 185 Private Messages chipgreen
FrankTownend wrote:I'm concerned about their always connected to the internet, always got an eye on you way of operation.

I know, right? Look what they did to kids.woot!

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 563 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

chipgreen wrote:I know, right? Look what they did to kids.woot!

Someone done broke it!

FORUM MODERATOR.............ON VACATION!
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

ackmondual

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ackmondual

Is it just me, or do others find keyboards with "flat keys" to be less practical for gaming? Contrast to keyboards in the last decade with keys that stick out about almost half an inch?

I also tried one of Razer's gaming mouse. I intended it to be a work mouse, but found out that none of the programmable features worked with Office documents, and general navigation. I just assumed that a gaming mouse would be a superset of those features too.

marriage is the price men pay for sex
sex is the price women pay for marriage

johnlafreniere

quality posts: 1 Private Messages johnlafreniere
CowboyDann wrote: Over 600 mixed reviews averaging around 3 stars over at newegg

If you look at the Newegg 5 star reviews for this keyboard, they all seem to be for CPU's Monitors, etc. Weird.

L4m3r

quality posts: 11 Private Messages L4m3r

I have two, one I bought when the Lycosa first came out, and another I bought refurb'd from Woot.

I bought the second one because the first had started acting strangely. The touch-panel that controls the lights and audio would "spaz out" occasionally and stop responding to input, while constantly cycling the backlight or turning the volume up/down. I don't know why it happened, but I suspect it has something to do with power draw. This thing uses 2 USB ports and needs a lot of juice.

The refurb'd one from Woot worked great... for a few weeks. Then the same symptoms started again, worse than before. It got so bad I ended up switching back to my original keyboard.

Since then, I've started using a USB hub to power the thing, and I also have a different PC now. The problem seems to have gone away, though I probably just jinxed it.

It really is a nice keyboard, and I love the short keystroke, but unfortunately I cannot recommend buying one of these. Too many problems with that stupid touch panel!

ONE OF THESE DAYS, I'M GOING TO CUT YOU INTO LITTLE PIECES.

rhycochet

quality posts: 16 Private Messages rhycochet
ackmondual wrote:Is it just me, or do others find keyboards with "flat keys" to be less practical for gaming? Contrast to keyboards in the last decade with keys that stick out about almost half an inch?

I also tried one of Razer's gaming mouse. I intended it to be a work mouse, but found out that none of the programmable features worked with Office documents, and general navigation. I just assumed that a gaming mouse would be a superset of those features too.

to each his own, i suppose.

i do own a mechanical, the letter-less das keyboard 2 ultimate. i had to put rings under the keys as i do love the responsiveness but the clicking had to go. btw, i chose the silent version. not silent enough.

in my room, though, i'm gaming on razer's own deathstalker ultimate. other than the sparkly 10-LCD customizable keys and the lcd touchpad, i really got it for the chiclet keys (even flatter than flat) and stronger backlight. (mostly the backlight)

if there's one thing i can say about razer, it's that their industrial design sucks me right in. i'm a sucker for the industry :P

lycosa isn't 250bones like my deathstalker...but for those that like blue who happens to be on a budget...i'll recommend their keyboards. prior to anansi and my current board, i was eyeing lycosa for quite a while. seems like a solid board with equally striking design. their synapse CAN BE a pain in the ass to deal with depending on your OS configuration etc...but it's fine for my tower and i'm satisfied with their products.

CowboyDann

quality posts: 716 Private Messages CowboyDann
johnlafreniere wrote:If you look at the Newegg 5 star reviews for this keyboard, they all seem to be for CPU's Monitors, etc. Weird.

Nice find! that is strange.

qvirus89

quality posts: 5 Private Messages qvirus89

It works fine for gaming as intended. Had some issues with QC though; I think I'm on my 3rd one, although this one hasn't had any problems (although I think the USB port is still hit or miss - could have been really useful but oh well). I really like the travel and response of the keyboard - not quite a mechanical, but pretty good. Great for low-light, i.e. when I'm working late. A little noisy though. No real complaints other than the software is not really all that good. I believe most of the functions can be accessed directly through hardware though, and being able to disable the Windows key when needed is a really useful feature.

However, I've worn through my WASD keys on this one. The rubber's come off and I can see the backbone of the switches. Ah well, I touch-type anyways.

rhycochet

johnlafreniere wrote:If you look at the Newegg 5 star reviews for this keyboard, they all seem to be for CPU's Monitors, etc. Weird.

newegg's central focus is on information-technology, their audience is typically more tech-inclined than say, amazon.

jiggersgreen

quality posts: 36 Private Messages jiggersgreen
L4m3r wrote:I have two, one I bought when the Lycosa first came out, and another I bought refurb'd from Woot.

I bought the second one because the first had started acting strangely. The touch-panel that controls the lights and audio would "spaz out" occasionally and stop responding to input, while constantly cycling the backlight or turning the volume up/down. I don't know why it happened, but I suspect it has something to do with power draw. This thing uses 2 USB ports and needs a lot of juice.

The refurb'd one from Woot worked great... for a few weeks. Then the same symptoms started again, worse than before. It got so bad I ended up switching back to my original keyboard.

Since then, I've started using a USB hub to power the thing, and I also have a different PC now. The problem seems to have gone away, though I probably just jinxed it.

It really is a nice keyboard, and I love the short keystroke, but unfortunately I cannot recommend buying one of these. Too many problems with that stupid touch panel!

Ditto everything you said.The touch panel is wonky at best. I tried other drivers but no help at all. I'm typing on mine now and can't wait for a decent replacement. My advice is stay very far away from this one

sefchickaj

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sefchickaj

When it worked it was a great keyboard, but mine would frequently have a random key stop working, requiring a USB unplug/re-plug.

Someimes I didn' cach i for a while, which was frusraing.

Switched to a Logitech G-19, couldn't be happier.

virilewolf

quality posts: 1 Private Messages virilewolf

I bought this keyboard when I was upgrading my PC. It is a very responsive keyboard, which is especially noticeable with the flat keys. It does not take much pressure to execute a keystroke, which is a definite plus for me. I've also never run into problems with keyboard rollover while gaming, and this is in somewhere over 1000 hours of gaming since I bought it, spanning many genres of game from MMORPG to RTS to FPS.

However, there are some definite drawbacks that I've noticed. As many have noted already, the touch panel has a tendency to go haywire. This can be especially annoying with the volume controls, which can lead to your pleasant background music turning into a deafening roar in your ears. The touch panel actually has 7 keys; play music, stop music, next track, previous track, volume up, volume down and the cycle keyboard backlight button. All of these have at some point gone screwy for me. The only way I have found of fixing it is to unplug the keyboard and plug it back in.

On top of these issues, the keys themselves will "stick" sometimes(as in one key is not physically pressed down, but the operating system certainly thinks it is). This often leads to my character in a game rotating in one spot, or walking straight forwards or backwards, normally ending in death in-game. Again, the only solution I have found that works is to unplug the keyboard and plug it back in(sometimes I will have to press the stuck key once, as well).

I have made sure to stay up-to-date on drivers, but so far I am still experiencing these problems. Ultimately, I would still say this keyboard is worth considering, as long as you think you can live with the occasional screwy behavior(and I do mean occasional, maybe on average once every 8 to 10 hours of use). If you aren't into gaming, but really like the looks or just a good flat keyboard, this kind of behavior will probably be easier to mitigate.

I mostly bought this keyboard as a matching peripheral for my razer mouse, the deathadder(which I love to no end as it ACTUALLY FITS in my big ol' hands, and like this keyboard is VERY responsive). I think my next keyboard will probably be a logitech one, as there are several of those that have many of the pros this keyboard has, without the weird cons. Most of the logitech G-series keyboards seem like a good choice for gaming.

nechronius

quality posts: 2 Private Messages nechronius

For the love of all that is good and holy, avoid this keyboard.

I bought one from woot years ago. The touch sensitive buttons are a JOKE. For whatever reason the buttons would effectively push themselves, randomly causing the keyboard to change lighting modes.

That's not the worst part. If that's all it did, change the light modes, then it would be annoying but tolerable. Imagine my ire when I realized that with every mode change, it would also cause all the keys to hang!

A replacement refurb keyboard from Razer yielded the exact same results. After trying to deal with their AWFUL tech support and them giving me the runaround (I even paid for the shipping for returning their first faulty keyboard!), the only solution was to break the stupid thing over my knee and buy a proper keyboard without inane touch sensitive buttons, one I've used WITHOUT INCIDENT for years.

Buyer beware!

channeldunlap

quality posts: 2 Private Messages channeldunlap

I have this keyboard and really like it. The soft touch style keys are really nice, and it's not quite as short of a keystroke as a notebook KB, but definitely shorter than most.

L4m3r wrote:I bought the second one because the first had started acting strangely. The touch-panel that controls the lights and audio would "spaz out" occasionally and stop responding to input, while constantly cycling the backlight or turning the volume up/down. I don't know why it happened, but I suspect it has something to do with power draw. This thing uses 2 USB ports and needs a lot of juice.

I had the same issue with my first one. I found that resting a key or my zippo over that touch pad quieted it down so just kind of ignored it (I never use that thing anyway). When I finally looked into it, realized it wasn't an isolated thing and contacted Razer, they sent me a replacement hassle free. Didn't even have to return the old one. (YMMV) I've been using this now for probably two years, haven't had that or any other problems with it.

Aarondeep

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Aarondeep
nechronius wrote:For the love of all that is good and holy, avoid this keyboard.

I bought one from woot years ago. The touch sensitive buttons are a JOKE. For whatever reason the buttons would effectively push themselves, randomly causing the keyboard to change lighting modes.

That's not the worst part. If that's all it did, change the light modes, then it would be annoying but tolerable. Imagine my ire when I realized that with every mode change, it would also cause all the keys to hang!

A replacement refurb keyboard from Razer yielded the exact same results. After trying to deal with their AWFUL tech support and them giving me the runaround (I even paid for the shipping for returning their first faulty keyboard!), the only solution was to break the stupid thing over my knee and buy a proper keyboard without wishboneic touch sensitive buttons, one I've used WITHOUT INCIDENT for years.

Buyer beware!

This is the worst keyboard I have ever owned. Do not buy. Every once in a while it just becomes unresponsive

alannon

quality posts: 0 Private Messages alannon

I had one of these for quite a while. The keys are mushy and uncomfortable, the key rollover is spotty (if you like to use a bunch of keys at once, like for complex movement), and it's really not all that high quality in general.

For not much more than this cost, you can get into a Rosewill with Cherry keyswitches; for about twice the cost you can get into a Ducky G2 (again, with Cherrys). Either will last you longer than a Razer.

dynadom

quality posts: 1 Private Messages dynadom

Severe problems with this keyboard. First. The usb ports don't work,
Second, the keyboard stopped working all together and...
Third RAZER has HORRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE. Because I didn't have the receipt they wouldn't fix or replace their broken crappy unit. Razer is stuck up don't buy from them their products are cheap!!!!!!

some keys would stop working randomly and you would have to reboot.

nostalgicBadger

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nostalgicBadger

The macros and back lighting seem nice, but the next keyboard I buy will probably be a mechanical -- possibly a Das. Keeping two at my desk seems impractical, and I spend most of my time at the computer not gaming.

tikael

quality posts: 1 Private Messages tikael

I have had this keyboard for some time now, and I have a friend who has one as well. It looks great but has occasional problems with becoming non-responsive and needing to be unplugged before it will work as well as keys becoming stuck which can be frustrating during games (my friend has the same intermittent issues). For the price it is a good backlit keyboard but I would skip it.

uwsteven

quality posts: 0 Private Messages uwsteven

I bought one of these from woot a couple of years ago. Beware. The keyboard only worked correctly for a few minutes before keys randomly stop working until so many are out it's not worth using. You can unplug the keyboard and plug it back in to get it working again, but the keys stop working eventually again. There was a bad batch of these at some point from what I researched. Woot was going to let me return the keyboard even after a year of having it after I explained it but I had to pay shipping which was about half the cost of the keyboard so I haven't bothered.

rhycochet

dynadom wrote:Severe problems with this keyboard. First. The usb ports don't work,
Second, the keyboard stopped working all together and...
Third RAZER has HORRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE. Because I didn't have the receipt they wouldn't fix or replace their broken crappy unit. Razer is stuck up don't buy from them their products are cheap!!!!!!

some keys would stop working randomly and you would have to reboot.

it would make sense for them not to honor repairs if you don't have a receipt. you might be honorable and actually lost it or never got one...but who's to say there aren't people with stolen equipment asking manufacturers to repair their junk so they can resell them?

cal2005

quality posts: 1 Private Messages cal2005
alannon wrote:I had one of these for quite a while. The keys are mushy and uncomfortable, the key rollover is spotty (if you like to use a bunch of keys at once, like for complex movement), and it's really not all that high quality in general.

For not much more than this cost, you can get into a Rosewill with Cherry keyswitches; for about twice the cost you can get into a Ducky G2 (again, with Cherrys). Either will last you longer than a Razer.

Now this is a quality post. I have been googling to find out what kind of switches this thing had. I love my Rosewill at work and I was trying to see if this Razer was a good option for home. I think I'll just pick up another Rosewill.

Csernica

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Csernica

I've had this keyboard for a bit over year now -- I'm typing on it right now. It's been very reliable, and almost trouble-free. There are only had two real problems with it.

First, the touchpad. Not that it goes haywire as some have reported, but I tend to accidentally brush it when using the number pad. I'll look down to try and find a key, only to see that I've inadvertently turned the backlighting off, and key labels aren't very visible without it.

Second, the top layer of some keys has begun to rub off, obliterating the label. My E, A, D, C, N, M, L, and O keys are indistinct blue blobs, and the I and S keys are headed that way.

Be aware that if you're running out of USB ports, this keyboard will take up two of them.

jsvend

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jsvend

not mechanical, no interest :\ razer blackwidow has problems as well, missing/doubling keystrokes. seriously discouraged from giving razer any more money for keyboards. mice, on the other hand, well... i have my original razer mouse tin numbered edition that still works like a champ. they don't make 'em like they used to, i guess!

Cagny

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Cagny

I have this keyboard and while it feels very nice at first and the light keys are great, it's way too light & small and my hand cramps up on it a lot when gaming. I've since when back to my Tarantula by Razer. ALSO, this keyboard would just stop working altogether about once a gaming session (3-4 hour session). To get it working again, I would have to unplug it's primary USB port and then plug it back it. Needless to say this was bad for playing Tribes. Yes, I did upgrade the drivers, firmware, and OS (Win7 64).

spazzychippy

quality posts: 6 Private Messages spazzychippy

this was my daily keyboard (web browsing, school work, and of course gaming) for about 1.5 years. After about 2 days, the touchscreen controls stopped working. After about 5 months, the 'A' key (a very important key for gaming) would sometimes not respond unless I started hitting it on the very far corner to make it register.
That worked for a while longer, and over the next year, it progressively got worse and worse...meanwhile, the black around the letters was wearing away, and the little "node" on the 'F' key to give you home position when touch-typing wore away as well...

Now, the backlighting was decent, bright enough to see everything, but not so bright it was blinding (I would occasionally put a sheet of paper over it to sleep at night)

My recommendation? DON'T BUY THIS. there are better quality keyboards out there for cheaper....or spend a bit more and go mechanical keyswitch if you really want a true "gaming" keyboard! I'm rocking a corsair right now and LOVE it.

thaandiesel

quality posts: 1 Private Messages thaandiesel

ive owned mine for over 2 years. i have not had the issues others have been having at all. the touch sensitive part sitll behaves normally on mine. my only complaint, when playing fps, and playing fps on tournament level, the wasd doesnt always hold up and will bind on keystroke. but if i had to guess, ide say its about a .2% chance, out of ALL other times i use my keyboard, meaning its rare enough to not really be mad about. the "W" paint is wearing off, but tha tis expected. Love mine, NO issues at all! and for this price, you would have to be a fool if you are responding to this from a generic keyboard. its not much, take the plunge, and appreciate a <$50 lycosa.

Jason91887

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Jason91887

I would also recommend against this keyboard, I bought two of them before, and both have had lots of problems with keys "dying" and you have to unplug the keyboard to fix it, pretty shoddy for a "gaming" keyboard.

adurbin

quality posts: 0 Private Messages adurbin

I bought one of these a few years ago from woot! and it's still working like a normal keyboard.
That said however, the touch pad in the upper right corner to change the lighting functions stopped working about 2 months after I got it and the software that came with it is pretty bunk. If you're getting this because you want a pretty sleek looking keyboard to go with your gaming setup, go for it. But if you're looking for the customized key layout and the neat glowing buttons that you can change the look of on the fly, don't get your hopes up because it won't last long.

abusejunkey

quality posts: 0 Private Messages abusejunkey

That's because you have to take it apart to get it to function properly. they put a screw in the wrong place literally and it pulls a connector off the motherboard. I've had mine for about a year and it's not a big hassle after you pull it apart and fix their mistake. The keys tend to get stuck on (about once a week after the fix and daily if you don't take a screw out) and the only was to fix it is to unplug it for a second and plug it back in.

seanfmeagher

quality posts: 0 Private Messages seanfmeagher

I've gone through 3 of these in RMAs. After a while they keyboard starts to fail. Keys will, at random, stop working. You then have to disconnect and reconnect the keyboard and it fixes itself. The multimedia panel at the top right is also a cause for concern. My second keyboard would often stop and start my music as if I were pressing the play/pause button over and over.

Mechanically, the keyboard has a great feel. However, is it worth all the frustration?

In my 4 years of having these keyboards, I'd say no.

Boxymoron

quality posts: 4 Private Messages Boxymoron
abusejunkey wrote:That's because you have to take it apart to get it to function properly. they put a screw in the wrong place literally and it pulls a connector off the motherboard.

Sounds like a bad batch while using wrong screws.

kevkingofthesea

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kevkingofthesea
L4m3r wrote:This thing uses 2 USB ports and needs a lot of juice.

The second USB plug is simply an extension. You can use the keyboard with only one plugged in (but it has to be the right one).

EDIT: Oh, and I've had mine for around 3-4 years, with very few issues.

catherinemcclarey

quality posts: 2 Private Messages catherinemcclarey

I picked up a Logitech K350 wireless ergonomic keyboard as a combo w/their M510 mouse 1 1/2 years ago, and mostly like it (esp. like no cords for my elderly dog to sit on when she sleeps under the desk!). If Razer had a wireless gaming keyboard, I'd consider it, but the Logitech is fine for me right now.
BTW, just downloaded Razer Game Booster yesterday (a freebie developed in partnership w/IOBit, whose Advanced System Care Free software I use). Doesn't require owning any Razer peripherals for use, either. Haven't really used Razer Game Booster much yet; however, it does include a screencasting module which interests me (since I record "Let's Play" videos for YouTube). Has anyone else tried the screencasting module in Razer Game Booster yet, and what did you think?
http://www.razerzone.com/gamebooster

cappo

quality posts: 33 Private Messages cappo

The only time I have problems with my touch pad is if it ever gets the slightest bit wet. Don't get it wet.

And don't feed it after midnight.