WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Oh, 1993, you enigmatic year, you. Were you the year of mindless frivolity like Sleepless in Seattle and "Achy Breaky Heart" and Boy Meets World? Were you the year the future began, with the launch of the first Pentium chips and the first true web browser (Mosaic, which mutated into Navigator, the stepfather of Firefox)? Were you the year we realized that the end of the Cold War only brought new and different problems, with the first World Trade Center bombing and the intensification of the war in Yugoslavia? Were you the year the likes of Pearl Jam and Stone Temple Pilots decisively set the mopey, leaden tone of mainstream rock for the rest of the millennium? What was your deal, 1993?

We're going to celebrate the 20th anniversary of this (for better or worse) pivotal year the only way we know how: with some dumb jokes in a Woot-Off. And with some pieces about various Clinton-era concerns on the Woot blog.

Oh, and with some '90s-themed giveaways on the Woot Facebook page ("Like" us to play along). We've got some used stuff, some authentic '90s deadstock, and some new stuff with a '90s flavor. You might just find a piece of your past. That's OK. There's no shame or judgment here. We all lived through it; we all did what we had to do to survive.

So here's to 1993, in all its ridiculous glory. For the next two days here on Woot, Homey will definitely play dat.

penrodtj

quality posts: 0 Private Messages penrodtj

Rofl!

bluejester

quality posts: 558 Private Messages bluejester

Anything Woot has to offer us can be offered to90's Brian and his grunge band.

(Sorry, just had to share these videos again because they totally fit the theme of today's woot off.)

DaveInSoCal

quality posts: 17 Private Messages DaveInSoCal

I prefer my '90's nostalgia to include a smattering of shame and judgement. It's not the '90's without them!

webgenie

quality posts: 3 Private Messages webgenie

Will there be flannel shirts?

beomadman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages beomadman

I hope there are some floppy discs, a copy of the 1993 Anna Nicole Smith Playboy, and a 1993 Bring Out Cadence!

mjc613

quality posts: 47 Private Messages mjc613

Why '93? The music was much better in '83 and '88.

tsukitensh

quality posts: 23 Private Messages tsukitensh

This is the first time I've seen a woot-off that spanned multiple woot sites!!

I'm hoping this will be my first woot-off with one of those bags I've been hearing about, too.... :D

msklzannie

quality posts: 4 Private Messages msklzannie

Let's see... '93 was the year I got to live at my high school for a few weeks.

(Nearly my entire town was evacuated due to "The Flood of '93".)

Total woot orders: 189
Bag o.f Crap: 12/25/2010, 1/25/2011, 6/15/2011, 11/9/2011, 12/25/2011, 3/22/3012, 4/26/2012

msujp

quality posts: 1 Private Messages msujp

I graduated high school in '93. WE've never had a reunion. Just realized thanks to woot it should be a 20 year reunion.

I just realized Im super old, I really might off myself now. Depressed

thericochet

quality posts: 24 Private Messages thericochet

'Shreds' is more of an 80s thing. If you said "____ totally shreds, man!" in 1993 you'd get an Alice in Chains CD shoved up your taint.

larsont7

quality posts: 1 Private Messages larsont7
msujp wrote:I graduated high school in '93. WE've never had a reunion. Just realized thanks to woot it should be a 20 year reunion.

Also a Class of '93 grad, and though our school has had 5/10/15 year reunions, I haven't been able to make it to one. Doesn't look like 20 will be any different.

You can please some of the people all of the time, all of the people some of the time, but you can never please a Wooter during a Woot-off.

bowlingb

quality posts: 16 Private Messages bowlingb

Oh look, another woot off. Yawn.

miken927

quality posts: 122 Private Messages miken927

Will the giveaways be posted here as well? A lot of people have Facebook blocked at work, or are just anti-Facebook.

------------------
I Bet on Sky

scfd0766

quality posts: 0 Private Messages scfd0766
miken927 wrote:Will the giveaways be posted here as well? A lot of people have Facebook blocked at work, or are just anti-Facebook.

Of which I am one - no facebook account & no desire for one - and that site is "Bluecoated" (blocked) at work. More goodies for those that are into the social media thing, and happy for all of them - but can't you at least let us others share the fun of seeing what the Facebook crowd is scoring?

bsmith1

quality posts: 102 Private Messages bsmith1
scfd0766 wrote:... can't you at least let us others share the fun of seeing what the Facebook crowd is scoring?

Don't worry. Only like 3 people a day will "score" anything. If they're doing the random drawing thing again, your chances of "scoring" are very, very slim even if you're an avid social networker.

sbmellen

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sbmellen
larsont7 wrote:Also a Class of '93 grad, and though our school has had 5/10/15 year reunions, I haven't been able to make it to one. Doesn't look like 20 will be any different.

Class of '93 here, as well. Our class had 10 and 20-year reunions, but I only went to the 10-year. I thought the 20-year would be useless because I already keep up with everyone's lives daily through Facebook.

dringrn

quality posts: 3 Private Messages dringrn

This was the first one:Not only do you have to "like" them, you have to keep checking back and email them to enter. Wishing for the good old Bunch of Changelings

First up on our crappy '90s giveaways- Beanie Babies and a Rusted Root CD! We'll be accepting entries until 11am CT for a chance to win this bundle. One entry per person- email POC@woot.com with "I want Mortimer's Closet Bundle!", full terms & conditions here: http://bit.ly/VWevnD

Maybe you don't have to "like" them? Maybe just email in an entry?

corvettejoe

quality posts: 21 Private Messages corvettejoe
mjc613 wrote:Why '93? The music was much better in '83 and '88.

Stone Temple Pilots - Core
Pearl Jam - VS coming in strong after their first release Ten
Nirvana still in full effect.
Alice in Chains - Dirt and Jar of Flies
Soundgarden rises to fame
Depeche Mode makes it big in the US
Guns n Roses - Use your illusion tour wrapped up

Lots more here. Every year is musically important

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1993_in_music

corvettejoe

quality posts: 21 Private Messages corvettejoe
sbmellen wrote:Class of '93 here, as well. Our class had 10 and 20-year reunions, but I only went to the 10-year. I thought the 20-year would be useless because I already keep up with everyone's lives daily through Facebook.

Sadly, I think this is why most people don't do the reunions anymore, but not-sadly, you can keep up with your friends that you care to keep up with without having to go to a reunion.

webgenie

quality posts: 3 Private Messages webgenie
msujp wrote:I graduated high school in '93. WE've never had a reunion. Just realized thanks to woot it should be a 20 year reunion.

Well keep watching....there have been plenty of items to "Woot-Off" yourself!

Moueska

quality posts: 54 Private Messages Moueska

Sleepless in Seattle made Tom Hanks an early favorite of mine as a kid. :D

ambergreen

quality posts: 11 Private Messages ambergreen

Shooosh! We Class of '93 grads are not old. And reunions are overrated...my class is planning the 20th right now, and I still haven't seen anything that really compels me to participate.

Maybe I'm just an antisocial nerd.

saviormachine

quality posts: 0 Private Messages saviormachine

I was in college when I realized I had 20-year-old memories. This description reminds me that it's now 20 years ago that I started going to college.

Thanks, guys.

dringrn

Third up in our craptacular '90s giveaway- something too awesome to capture in this one photo: a Michael Jordan commemorative pog set. We know you have a pog collection you need to add to!

Until 3pm CT we'll be accepting entries- email POC@woot.com with the subject line "I want the Jordan pog set!" One entry per person, full terms & conditions here: http://bit.ly/VWevnD

beatnuts96

quality posts: 0 Private Messages beatnuts96

This is how we chill from 93 till....

dringrn

Until 4pm CT, we're giving you a chance to grab this TV Kitty & a Sanyo not-a-Walkman, how could you say no?!

To enter this crappy giveaway, email POC@woot.com with 'I want the Just Kickin' It bundle!" One entry per person, full terms & conditions here: http://bit.ly/VWevnD
Until 4pm CT, we're giving you a chance to grab this TV Kitty & a Sanyo not-a-Walkman, how could you say no?! To enter this crappy giveaway, email POC@woot.com with 'I want the Just Kickin' It bundle!" One entry per person, full terms & conditions here: http://bit.ly/VWevnD

99redtj

quality posts: 4 Private Messages 99redtj

So Woot states that Mosaic was first web browser. It should say Mosaic was the first graphical browser. There were other browsers out there before Mosaic.

sellbuyer92

quality posts: 35 Private Messages sellbuyer92

Radical DUDE!!!!

Nemesis: Stryper2000 He stole my Big Ole Carrot

miken927

99redtj wrote:So Woot states that Mosaic was first web browser. It should say Mosaic was the first graphical browser. There were other browsers out there before Mosaic.

Yeah, no love for lynx!?

------------------
I Bet on Sky

Marichele

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Marichele
tsukitensh wrote:This is the first time I've seen a woot-off that spanned multiple woot sites!!

I'm hoping this will be my first woot-off with one of those bags I've been hearing about, too.... :D

I don't think they have those any more. Haven't seen a Bring Out Cadence server crash in what seems like monkey's years!

Good Luck! Hope you get some crap.

Marichele

dringrn

You can't just find something like this anywhere, and today we're giving you the chance to nab your own pink Power Ranger mask FOR FREE!

Until 5:30 pm CT, for a chance to win- email into POC@woot.com with "I want the Power Ranger mask!" as your subject line. One entry per person, full terms & conditions here: http://bit.ly/VWevnD

dringrn

Dude, do you even have a vest? Until 8pm CT, you have a chance to win these two stunning examples of '90s style!

If you want in on this craptabulous giveaway, email POC@woot.com with the subject line "I want the Vest of Friends bundle!" One entry per person, full terms & conditions here: http://bit.ly/VWevnD

silverhand

quality posts: 0 Private Messages silverhand

Wow... you people are old. I was BORN in 1993.

Ronski

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Ronski

I still have a cool Hypercolor shirt! Purple turns pink when I get all hot and stuff. Bring em back woot.

hotqueso

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hotqueso

Party Hearty
Rock and roll
Drink a keg
Smoke a bowl
Lunch costs money
But sex is free
Cuz we're the class of '93!

todaresq

quality posts: 75 Private Messages todaresq

OK... looks like the '93 themed woot-off is almost over, but I have a trivia question.

No prizes from me... nothing for a correct answer.

What store is this? (Pics from 1995, when I worked there).

Moueska

quality posts: 54 Private Messages Moueska

... American Eagle.

No joke.

todaresq

quality posts: 75 Private Messages todaresq
Moueska wrote:... American Eagle.

No joke.

Nope...

Pic Hint #2...

miken927

todaresq wrote:Nope...

Pic Hint #2...

Abercrombe & Fitch (or as we used to say, 'Ever Grumpy & B-tch' ... Looks just like the one in the St. Louis Galleria.

------------------
I Bet on Sky