Poll: Worst airport (in the US)?
  • 29.5% - O'Hare 810
  • 17.4% - JFK 478
  • 3.6% - Seatac 98
  • 23.2% - LAX 639
  • 12% - DFW 330
  • 14.4% - Another one (comments!) 395
2750 votes

Well, how do you fare compared to the Zeitgeist? Chat up your fellow wooters and let us know how lame this poll was or what obvious choices we missed. For example: Was this poll a) STUPID, b) DUMB, c) POINTLESS or d) ALL OF THE ABOVE?

flobob

quality posts: 0 Private Messages flobob

I hate flying thru Atlanta!!!!!

Dwergmal

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Dwergmal

Denver International Airport has a reputation for shredding luggage. This I didn't know when I sent my zipper-laden bags though their machines.

drivebypaint

quality posts: 0 Private Messages drivebypaint

I hate them all .... 12 min two walk or run a 1/2 mile to a cont. flight

Sabre99

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Sabre99

Newark

clairedeluna

quality posts: 1 Private Messages clairedeluna

Atlanta-Hartsfield. I will happily fly through O'Hare (which is really bad) if I can avoid Atlanta.

onestinkyfish

quality posts: 1 Private Messages onestinkyfish

They all suck

kinglowrider

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kinglowrider

DET Stop of the shoe bomber

aletayr

quality posts: 0 Private Messages aletayr
flobob wrote:I hate flying thru Atlanta!!!!!

This. So much this.

rainydz

quality posts: 3 Private Messages rainydz

Minneapolis. Thought I'd have a heart attack between gates and I'm in decent shape.

blckshirt98

quality posts: 7 Private Messages blckshirt98

Phoenix might have the worst layout on the planet. It's like a 30 minute walk to a connecting flight.

auhdrah

quality posts: 0 Private Messages auhdrah

SFO was horrid! You had to run from this side to that to do anything. Now SJC (San Jose Airport) was great! There is one entrance, one area to get to all airline desks for check-in, one corridor to take to get to the security station, and one waiting area for all flights. It sounds smaller than it is but it was built very well.

smugaardvark

quality posts: 0 Private Messages smugaardvark

I work at an airport in California (that shall remain nameless), so I've had the opportunity to check out a lot of different places. It's funny, now that I know the inner workings of them, I notice stuff a lot better than I used to as just a casual traveler.

With that said, my least favorite is George Bush Intercontinental Airport (Houston, TX). The layout is atrocious if you have to change planes there. United flights are spread out across several concourses, with no easy way of getting from one end to another. And the last few sections on the end look like their just a series of modular buildings that a lot of schools have for overflow classes.

Beyond that, here are some other thoughts.
LAX is huge and outdated. Every time I go through there, they are perpetually halfway through some major rebuilding project that seems to have no function other than to keep construction workers employed. I prefer to fly in and out of Bob Hope Airport in Burbank, despite the somewhat frightening take-off and landing flight paths.

Orlando International sucks for one primary reason, the layout. They put the TSA checkpoint right in the tightest corridor of the terminal. It's already a bottleneck getting to the trams, but throw those smurfs in the mix and it's often an incredible headache.

Hartsfield-Jackson (Atlanta) is a massive airport. A lot of people don't realize it, but its actually the busiest passenger airport in the entire world. However, it really isn't that difficult to navigate between terminals. For as many people as they process through security, the lines are usually very reasonable.

edgeducks

quality posts: 1 Private Messages edgeducks

Detroit! It's like the Bermuda Triangle of airports. Hate that place.

petepappa

quality posts: 0 Private Messages petepappa

Atlanta, hands down.

designlucas

quality posts: 1 Private Messages designlucas

Why? Atlanta airport is rockin'

ecrank

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ecrank

Philadelphia. Always afraid things will 'disappear' from my checked bags.

Always looking for cheap christmas gifts...

pjkwaz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pjkwaz

Philly, hands down.

jeparz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jeparz

Hellloooo, excuse me! LaGuardia maybe???????

Guess you don't travel much.

berblaine

quality posts: 2 Private Messages berblaine

Atlanta

lipophilia

quality posts: 11 Private Messages lipophilia

I agree with ECRANK - Philly takes the prize - hands down. Have spent more nights there than anywhere else (and it's an uncomfortable, ugly place) and NEVER get through on time.

98tacoma27

quality posts: 0 Private Messages 98tacoma27

Put me down for Philly. AVOID AT ALL COSTS. You either miss your connection or your luggage.

gholt121

quality posts: 3 Private Messages gholt121

ATL by far!! I can stand the craziness of LAX even ORD. But ATL s-u-c-k-s!

Proud Woot!er since 2005.

wdavi0ml

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wdavi0ml

BWI... I have never departed On-Time and have waited 4+ hours on several occasions.

jukeox44

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jukeox44

LGA

danhendrickson

quality posts: 0 Private Messages danhendrickson
Sabre99 wrote:Newark

I second that. EWR is the worst. And to add insult to injury, just being in New Jersey leaves me with an all over dirty feeling.

tuxbuddy

quality posts: 5 Private Messages tuxbuddy

Another vote for Atlanta. They tie with O'Hare.

bstrohl

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bstrohl

EWR is the worst; that's Newark.

It is the lesser airport in the overcrowded New York airspace. Combine that with the worst TSA in the country and it is a real nightmare.

I drive farther to a different airport to save time and frustration.

BTW- All of you who have voted for Phiily should try any of the New York airports. Philly is a dream compared to them.

Metallia

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Metallia

Atlanta. Customs in Atlanta was one of the most mind-boggling experiences I've ever had flying... and that was in '06, when you could still take drinks and other things through security. I shudder to imagine flying internationally now.

DrTorch

quality posts: 1 Private Messages DrTorch

No doubt. How did this not make the list?

Atlanta is terrible- delays any time of year

sopdox

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sopdox

Laguardia

Rushfan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Rushfan
tuxbuddy wrote:Another vote for Atlanta. They tie with O'Hare.

I haven't flown anywhere on East coast ezcept Atlanta and Philly. Stripped near naked in terminal in Atlanta, but I would much rather be stuck there than Philly. Stinks a LOT less. They bathe in Atlanta once in a while anyway. Also don't fear for my life in Atlanta. Airport didn't catch fire and delay landing for hour and a half at Atlanta.

merd919

quality posts: 0 Private Messages merd919

It's Houston for me.

Rushfan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Rushfan
tuxbuddy wrote:Another vote for Atlanta. They tie with O'Hare.

Even tho strip searched in Atlanta in terminal, Mayor Daley doesn't control everything from his mob-boss headquarters there like chicago. EVERY fllight delayed long enough for everyone to get hungry and patronize the horrible grub vendors and collect his exhorbitant tax revenue. There are cameras everywhere and NO flight takes off until that one guy buys a twelve dollar dry sandwich and six dollar flat soda.
On the other hand, if BWI sucks half as much as its host, it just may be worse than oh, hair.

elsupreme

quality posts: 2 Private Messages elsupreme

Philly is the WORST! I pretty much averaged about 2 hour delays every time I flew out of there. Not to mention you have to walk some serious distances.

Don't really see the Atlanta hate. Sure it is really big, and crowded, but really easy to get around.

I'll give an honorable mention to Newark. It takes like 30 minutes to get from one terminal to another.

circusninja

quality posts: 10 Private Messages circusninja
bstrohl wrote:EWR is the worst; that's Newark.

It is the lesser airport in the overcrowded New York airspace. Combine that with the worst TSA in the country and it is a real nightmare.

I drive farther to a different airport to save time and frustration.

BTW- All of you who have voted for Phiily should try any of the New York airports. Philly is a dream compared to them.

Absolutely, Newark needs a sinkhole to open under it, and just be removed from the face of the earth. There is no redeeming quality for this airport

jld2k3

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jld2k3
kinglowrider wrote:DET Stop of the shoe bomber

Yes, Detroit is the worst. Well, not as bad as Kabul, but the worst in the US.

megabite6d9

quality posts: 1 Private Messages megabite6d9

Definitely Atlanta

estprft

quality posts: 0 Private Messages estprft

Atlanta

rickbrown89

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rickbrown89

NYC: LaGuardia = awful