WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Gunnar Optiks Gaming/Computer Eyewear

You upgrade your crowbar to a super-ultra zap beam teleporter laser. You upgrade your armor from a Cheap Shirt to Full Plate With Fuzzy Trim And Spikes. Why wouldn't you upgrade your eyes IRL? See? You can't answer. Because you know we're right.

Quality Posts

uallas5

quality posts: 0 Private Messages uallas5

I would get a pair but they don't come in any type of standard magnification level, i.e. reading glasses. I only wear 1.0 readers and most out there are small, assuming you're looking down at a book. I need them bigger so I can look straight at my laptop screen.

DayWalkerSC400

quality posts: 0 Private Messages DayWalkerSC400

I have been waiting for these to come back. Thanks woot!

The ones with the dark lenses are new. What are the darker lenses for? Are they just for darker for gaming/computer use in the sun?

The one that I read about said it was optimal for use in an F16. I find it hard to believe you would be allowed to wear these as a pilot.

namorama

quality posts: 32 Private Messages namorama
DayWalkerSC400 wrote:I have been waiting for these to come back. Thanks woot!

The ones with the dark lenses are new. What are the darker lenses for? Are they just for darker for gaming/computer use in the sun?

The one that I read about said it was optimal for use in an F16. I find it hard to believe you would be allowed to wear these as a pilot.

They appear to be just sunglasses. I wonder if they are polarized?
Edit: Or... for gaming outdoors, on a laptop...? Yeah, I can't get this at all. I don't know if there's a mild prescription on this like regular Gunnars or not.

Decided my signature is obnoxious.
Have two lines instead.

hailfire753

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hailfire753

I guess you can't get prescription lenses through woot?

llocutus

quality posts: 5 Private Messages llocutus

Per their Website the sunglasses are optimized for use with LCD screens outside and are polarized.

Good if you need sunglasses and have a hard time using your phone with the ones you have. On the other hand my wife has a pair of DG sunglasses with a gradient on them and I wouldn't say they are any better than standard sunglasses when it comes to looking at a phone etc.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 543 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

hailfire753 wrote:I guess you can't get prescription lenses through woot?

If you want to change out the lenses for prescription lenses, you need to go through Gunnar or an optometrist.

More info.

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

vanuary

quality posts: 22 Private Messages vanuary
DayWalkerSC400 wrote:I have been waiting for these to come back. Thanks woot!

Hi DayWalkerSC400. The darker lenses are sunglasses, just in time for the summer. These styles are not polarized and perfect if you view electronic devices outdoors.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 543 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

vanuary wrote:Hi DayWalkerSC400. The darker lenses are sunglasses, just in time for the summer. These styles are not polarized and perfect if you view electronic devices outdoors.

Welcome back, vanuary. Would you mind starting by introducing yourself to the wooters?

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

vanuary

ThunderThighs wrote:Welcome back, vanuary. Would you mind starting by introducing yourself to the wooters?

Sure, HI EVERYONE! I'm the manufacturer rep, I'll be checking in periodically to see if there are any questions I can help answer and clarify.

DON'T BE SHY!

SumDuud

quality posts: 21 Private Messages SumDuud

I too have been waiting for these to come back.

I am curious I have a little bit of a fat head and usually when wearing sunglasses (I'm lucky enough to have good eyesight, at least that's what the doc told me 10 years ago when I had my vision checked, and only need sunglasses) I find the arms flex a little outward. Some glasses don't have the flexibility to do that and it causes the glasses to bend or hurts after a short time. Are these pretty flexible or are they going to squeeze my noggin and give me a headache?

Let's see the quality impulse buys!
Wooter to blame for sellout: SumDuud
Sellout time: 8:11:25 AM Central Time

mattupthehill

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mattupthehill

How do I get sizes for these? Thanks

vanuary

SumDuud wrote:I too have been waiting for these to come back.

I am curious I have a little bit of a fat head and usually when wearing sunglasses (I'm lucky enough to have good eyesight, at least that's what the doc told me 10 years ago when I had my vision checked, and only need sunglasses) I find the arms flex a little outward. Some glasses don't have the flexibility to do that and it causes the glasses to bend or hurts after a short time. Are these pretty flexible or are they going to squeeze my noggin and give me a headache?

Hi SumDuud. You can view the measurements here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/j8c1u1jfal3m9gz/GUNNAR_Frame_Measurements_WOOT_May2013.jpg.
I would recommend that you go with the frame that has the largest hinge to hinge measurement. Of those four, I personally recommend Midnight because it has a spring hinge allowing the temples to bend outward a bit, providing the most comfort for larger heads.

ldsmom7566

quality posts: 8 Private Messages ldsmom7566

Okay, I'm going to be the 'Dumbo' who asks 'a dumb question'. At least from within the description of the one pair of these that I did look at, it really didn't tell me anything at all about what these glasses are really used for, or what they are supposed to do for someone, i.e; what exactly is their MAIN purpose/use, and how, or why are these glasses different from, or any 'better' for you than ANY other kind of glasses a person might use?
I guess I just don't 'understand them'. I get it that your supposed to use them whenever gaming, or using a computer, but WHY?
Are they just another form of reading glasses, sunglasses, etc, and EXACTLY just WHAT is it that they 'DO'?

Thanks a lot in advance for your answer/s and input!

vanuary

mattupthehill wrote:How do I get sizes for these? Thanks

Hi mattupthehill. You can view the measurements here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/j8c1u1jfal3m9gz/GUNNAR_Frame_Measurements_WOOT_May2013.jpg.

SumDuud

ldsmom7566 wrote:Okay, I'm going to be the 'Dumbo' who asks 'a dumb question'. At least from within the description of the one pair of these that I did look at, it really didn't tell me anything at all about what these glasses are really used for, or what they are supposed to do for someone, i.e; what exactly is their MAIN purpose/use, and how, or why are these glasses different from, or any 'better' for you than ANY other kind of glasses a person might use?
I guess I just don't 'understand them'. I get it that your supposed to use them whenever gaming, or using a computer, but WHY?
Are they just another form of reading glasses, sunglasses, etc, and EXACTLY just WHAT is it that they 'DO'?

Thanks a lot in advance for your answer/s and input!

This is a fair question. When you stare at a computer screen (or even tv) for longer time periods, be it for gaming or coding or whatever, your eyes can become strained and it can lead to headaches, but also just fatigue. These glasses are designed to help remove some of that strain from your eyes. I've not used them, but have seen some interviews with MLG competitors that were skeptical of them, but after using them, swear by them. I have one of those computer desk jobs and being in my master's program online, do a bit of computer staring at home and think these might be nice to relieve some eye strain.

Some reviews:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XAWlIRpi3s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1Q2JDHIIS4

http://lifehacker.com/5980509/do-computer-glasses-really-work

Amazon Reviews

vanuary

SumDuud wrote:This is a fair question. When you stare at a computer screen (or even tv) for longer time periods, be it for gaming or coding or whatever, your eyes can become strained and it can lead to headaches, but also just fatigue. These glasses are designed to help remove some of that strain from your eyes. I've not used them, but have seen some interviews with MLG competitors that were skeptical of them, but after using them, swear by them. I have one of those computer desk jobs and being in my master's program online, do a bit of computer staring at home and think these might be nice to relieve some eye strain.

Some reviews:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1Q2JDHIIS4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XAWlIRpi3s
http://lifehacker.com/5980509/do-computer-glasses-really-work
http://www.amazon.com/Gunnar-PPK-04101-Advanced-Glasses-Headset-Compatibility/product-reviews/B004BMK5Z8/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

Thanks SumDuud, you hit the nail on the head!
To be more specific, the "fatigue" that people experience at the computer can be (in addition to headaches and migraines): dry eyes, itchy or burning eyes, and blurry vision. GUNNARS help to minimize these symptoms so that you can get through your work day with ease.

bigdmt25

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bigdmt25

I bought a pair of MLGs last fall, to see if they would help. I liked them, but discovered that I really needed a full prescription, not just reading glasses. I have one now, but I'm not sure how to go about sending my glasses off to be fitted for it; my local optometrist is a small operation, and they didn't have much knowledge or interest in this issue.

Is there a way around this, or should I consider just buying a new pair directly from the Gunnar website using my new prescription info? Would the price come out about the same, either way?

ldsmom7566

quality posts: 8 Private Messages ldsmom7566

Thank you SumDuud & Vanuary. I appreciated both of your answers. Thanks especially SumDuud for the various links also that you took the time to locate & post.

justyn8490

quality posts: 0 Private Messages justyn8490

Vanuary,
The size chart is super helpful, thanks for posting that! My face is oval shaped so I tend to lean towards the smaller sized glasses. I'm looking at either the Groove or the Signature....maybe even the anime but not a fan of the 2 color choices. Would you recommend one over the other? And is there a difference between the "Gunnar Optiks Groove Advanced Computer/Gaming Eyewear - Espresso" for $42 and the other Grooves for $39 other than the frame color? It almost looks like th espresso ones lenses are less yellow. but maybe thats just me? Recommendations please!

addsnakes

quality posts: 0 Private Messages addsnakes
vanuary wrote:Sure, HI EVERYONE! I'm the manufacturer rep, I'll be checking in periodically to see if there are any questions I can help answer and clarify.

DON'T BE SHY!

Does the Anime Adv - Steel Blue have the correct picture in the woot listing?

It looks dark, maybe like the onyx;
When I google "Anime Steel Blue" I see a much bluer frame.

Just want to make sure I'm ordering what I'm seeing ;-D

aaronhenry

quality posts: 0 Private Messages aaronhenry

Any chance on getting crystalline lenses (ie Sheadog)?

I've drooled over any crystallines as they are ideal for people with 20/20 vision. I'd hate to wear even a slight magnification after paying a fortune for lasik, ya know?

vanuary

bigdmt25 wrote:I bought a pair of MLGs last fall, to see if they would help. I liked them, but discovered that I really needed a full prescription, not just reading glasses. I have one now, but I'm not sure how to go about sending my glasses off to be fitted for it; my local optometrist is a small operation, and they didn't have much knowledge or interest in this issue.

Is there a way around this, or should I consider just buying a new pair directly from the Gunnar website using my new prescription info? Would the price come out about the same, either way?

Hi bigdmt25. I'm guessing you purchased the MLG Legend from a previous WOOT Sale? If so, you can submit those frames to have GUNNAR prescription lenses put in now that you have your prescription. Please email me at van@gunnars.com directly for instructions on how to submit your frames with prescription.

I don't know how bad your vision is, but the MLG Legend frame will only accommodate +3.00 to -6.00 D total power. This means you need to combine your sphere (SPH) with your cylinder (CYL) in order to get a total power for each eye. If your total power falls out side of the +3.00 to -6.00 D then you cannot get a prescription in the MLG Legend frame. Each GUNNAR frame has a different range it will accommodate, so if you do decide to purchase a new frame just make sure that your prescription is within the accommodation.

We have two different lens options for prescription:
$150 - GUNNAR Standard Rx
$250 - Zeiss Premium Rx
You can learn more about the difference Rx lens options here: http://www.gunnars.com/learnmorerx/

vanuary

justyn8490 wrote:Vanuary,
The size chart is super helpful, thanks for posting that! My face is oval shaped so I tend to lean towards the smaller sized glasses. I'm looking at either the Groove or the Signature....maybe even the anime but not a fan of the 2 color choices. Would you recommend one over the other? And is there a difference between the "Gunnar Optiks Groove Advanced Computer/Gaming Eyewear - Espresso" for $42 and the other Grooves for $39 other than the frame color? It almost looks like th espresso ones lenses are less yellow. but maybe thats just me? Recommendations please!

Hi justyn8490. There is no difference between the Groove's beyond frame color. Depending on when that exact style was photographed and the amount of lighting used at the photo shoot, our frames/lenses will appear a little darker/lighter. But they're all the same shade when you view them in person.
You can't go wrong between the Anime and Signature. The Anime is a bit smaller, however it has spring hinges which will allow for some wiggle room. The Signature does not spring hinges, but a bit wider to begin with so I think it's going to come down to the frame color you like most.

vanuary

addsnakes wrote:Does the Anime Adv - Steel Blue have the correct picture in the woot listing?

It looks dark, maybe like the onyx;
When I google "Anime Steel Blue" I see a much bluer frame.

Just want to make sure I'm ordering what I'm seeing ;-D

Hi addsnakes. This is similar to what I was just explaining to justyn8490. Depending on when the style was photographed and the amount of lighting used at the photo shoot, the frames/lenses sometimes look darker/lighter than they really are. I'd agree with you, the Anime Steel Blue does look a little dark in the WOOT photograph. Here is another photo of the same style where we used a little too much lighting: https://www.dropbox.com/s/apjfljci5q8zjj1/ANI_02601_SteelBlue_l.jpg.
The actual product isn't this shiny (its actually kind of matte) so I would say that the actual product is a mix of both photos.

vanuary

aaronhenry wrote:Any chance on getting crystalline lenses (ie Sheadog)?

I've drooled over any crystallines as they are ideal for people with 20/20 vision. I'd hate to wear even a slight magnification after paying a fortune for lasik, ya know?

Hi aaronhenry. Unfortunately, I dont think you'll ever see our Crystalline styles on WOOT. But all of our indoor eyewear (Amber & Crystalline) has the slight magnification.

richerd

quality posts: 0 Private Messages richerd

Are the magnification for all of the glasses different? I remember reading that there was a .25 magnification.

crazyeyyes

quality posts: 1 Private Messages crazyeyyes

Just thought i come here and say how much these glasses work. I got a pair about 2 years ago and i wear them all the time when im at the computer and playing video games. I Love them! Best gift i ever got. This is a grate deal on them. i just got 2 more pairs to have around.
I would strongly say get these. Best investment ever if you spend alot of time in front of a computer screen/ TV

kelmar6821

quality posts: 2 Private Messages kelmar6821

Anyone know if these meet ansi specs?

anachostic

quality posts: 4 Private Messages anachostic

My co-worker bought these a while ago and convinced me to get a pair. I bought the Groove. I actually did notice the difference, my eyes were not as dry at the end of the day. Some of it could be the tinting, but another benefit could have been blocking my eyes from a/c vents and airborne dust.

Sadly, I could never get the nose pads to stop burrowing into my skin and eventually after many attempts at adjusting them, I gave up wearing the glasses. (Note to GUNNAR product development: super-light titanium frames would be a great match.)

However, because I saw the value in the glasses and also because I'm a sucker, I bought a second pair - the e11ven. Maybe the solid plastic bridge will be kinder to my nose.

babmeers

quality posts: 3 Private Messages babmeers

There are three Edge Advanced glasses listed. Is there any difference? Just looking at them, they appear the same to me.

terisah

quality posts: 0 Private Messages terisah

I have bought Gunnars from their website. I love them. I am an IT Network Engineer. It sure made a difference for my eyes by the end of the day!!

DayWalkerSC400

quality posts: 0 Private Messages DayWalkerSC400
babmeers wrote:There are three Edge Advanced glasses listed. Is there any difference? Just looking at them, they appear the same to me.

The one in the middle is a different color. It the "espresso" brown color. The other two, as far as I can tell, are the same. I bought one of the non-brown ones earlier!

fbrhdm

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fbrhdm

my eyes have been hurt before, as a developer, I found this glass worked well. hv bought 3 pairs

WhiteRice0

quality posts: 2 Private Messages WhiteRice0

I've had a couple pairs of these for a while now, and when your day consists of watching a screen for 8 hours, with breaks few and far between, these things are a wonder. I generally use the Gem's for at work, and the PPK (which I don't think I saw up this time around) for at home/gaming (they're thinner around the temple/ear, so my headset works better with them)

So, yeah, good prices, and they work for me. I may snag a 3rd pair, just for kicks.

mutatedzombierat

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mutatedzombierat
kelmar6821 wrote:Anyone know if these meet ansi specs?

I, too, would love to know the answer to this. None of them look like they do, but it would be awesome if by some chance they did.

I work in a fab and was just looking into getting some new safety glasses, and these would be perfect for both home and work.

kazper

quality posts: 6 Private Messages kazper
vanuary wrote:Hi SumDuud. You can view the measurements here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/j8c1u1jfal3m9gz/GUNNAR_Frame_Measurements_WOOT_May2013.jpg.
I would recommend that you go with the frame that has the largest hinge to hinge measurement. Of those four, I personally recommend Midnight because it has a spring hinge allowing the temples to bend outward a bit, providing the most comfort for larger heads.

Did this link not work for anyone else? I keep getting a "not found" error. I'm split on the decision to buy these. Do the frame arms have a soft piece of material that rests on the skin or is it metal to skin contact? I visited your website and tried searching by head type, but I'm not sure what mine is ( suggestion: you might want to include examples, a simple diagram should work). I have the problem of the frame arms eventually stretching out and becoming too large (wide head). Suggestions?

SumDuud

kazper wrote:Did this link not work for anyone else? I keep getting a "not found" error. I'm split on the decision to buy these. Do the frame arms have a soft piece of material that rests on the skin or is it metal to skin contact? I visited your website and tried searching by head type, but I'm not sure what mine is ( suggestion: you might want to include examples, a simple diagram should work). I have the problem of the frame arms eventually stretching out and becoming too large (wide head). Suggestions?

The link did work for me, once I got home. It is a dropbox link so if you are on a network that blocks dropbox at the firewall, it wouldn't work for you. On my work network (DOD firewall) it just showed up not working rather than the normal bluecoat firewall denied. Once at home, it worked fine. It gives sizes in mm for the various parts (bridge, nose, temple...)

I picked up a pair of these last night. I'd love to see them before the sale is over to try and possibly pickup another pair, but I don't think it'll happen. Too bad my Prime doesn't carry over to woot shipping. I'll have to admit that a large part of ordering was the rep being here and answering questions, thank you for that! I can't wait to try them out and see if I'll be anxiously awaiting the next Gunnar sale.

sparki1980

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sparki1980

I've recently had lasik, and prior to that had always had either Crystalline or some other antiglare type protection on my glasses, because I work a desk job infront of computers daily. Since the lasik I've really noticed how much I miss them, and have been very intrigued by these. But I have a few questions:
1) I have VSP, which was always nice for getting great glasses for basically free. Is there a way to use that kind of insurance to get a pair? I'm sure BestBuy & w00t! (where I see Gunnars almost exclusively) don't take vision insurance... does the website?
2) I'm basically sold, but the descriptions on these items seem more marketing jibberjabber than informative. The Halogen Outdoor ones claim to be specifically engineered for digital viewing Indoors (are they outdoor or indoors with heavy tint?). What are the varying magnifications on the diff types? And aside from color what is the main diff btwn the Crystalline & Amber tint? By reading through here, I think I'm looking at the Midnight (big head).. but what are the distinctions other than look of the other 134s?

phpeters87

quality posts: 8 Private Messages phpeters87

Do the "Gunnar's" work well as regular sunglasses?