zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

lichme

quality posts: 3059 Private Messages lichme

Take a look at these good reviews from NewEgg
And these 3.5 star reviews from Amazon

morriea

quality posts: 19 Private Messages morriea

AWESOME hardware that is crippled by Windows RT.

KyserSoze

quality posts: 18 Private Messages KyserSoze

$50 for the keyboard? Seems expensive.

umeshunni

quality posts: 1 Private Messages umeshunni
morriea wrote:AWESOME hardware that is crippled by Windows RT.

Anyone know if the bootloader is unlocked? Can you root them and put Android on them?

PhaetonX

quality posts: 1 Private Messages PhaetonX
KyserSoze wrote:$50 for the keyboard? Seems expensive.

The Keyboard also has a battery in it that charges the tablet and one USB the regular price of that keyboard is 100$ I have one and I paid way more than the price that they have here but the RT tablets are the only ones that gets good battery life with a full browser and the ability to adjust the resolution to optimize when you have micro HDMI out to a bigger screen or monitor

stevesds

quality posts: 18 Private Messages stevesds

After reading several reviews, it seems the verdict is:
BEWARE glitchy hardware and little to no customer support.

MaxAwesome

quality posts: 9 Private Messages MaxAwesome
umeshunni wrote:Anyone know if the bootloader is unlocked? Can you root them and put Android on them?

Nope, but why the hell would you want to? Asus Transformers can be had for this price on the regular.

Kingu

quality posts: 42 Private Messages Kingu

Keyboard dock has an 8 hour battery, doubling the live time for this tablet/laptop.

That said, mine has be unusable since not long after I bought it. I suppose I should file a warranty claim and see if I can land one of the reconditioned units that might work for a couple weeks.

Let me be clear - when this tablet's touch screen is working and not giving dozens of ghost touches (which if I could disable the screen's digitalizer, would probably make it worthwhile using again), this is a fantastic tool. Great for reading, watching videos, browsing the web, using various apps and what I really bought it for - a very robust writing tool with Microsoft Word and Excel.

I'd strongly suggest getting the Square Trade protection - those ghost touches (and admittedly, I've not researched it in the last couple months) end any productive use from the tablet or as a laptop.

Also, the tablet should come with an adapter that turns the proprietary port on the tablet into a standard USB port. Outside of that, it pairs beautifully with virtually any bluetooth keyboard, mouse, speaker or headphones I've tried on it.

Lord John Whorfin

quality posts: 27 Private Messages Lord John Whorfin

Total waste of money. RT is a massive failure and it's not selling. This is a fire sale for an orphan technology that has very little software available for it and will be abandoned soon. If you want a nice tablet, get an Android tablet or an iPad. If you have to have Windows, spend the money and get a Surface Pro, which is actually a good product, or a Windows 8 laptop. This is money pissed away.

soulxside

quality posts: 1 Private Messages soulxside

I would rather have a Transformer Book TX300: http://www.asus.com/us/Notebooks_Ultrabooks/ASUS_Transformer_Book_TX300, but at this price I might settle for this low-res screen for a cheap travel lappie.

bookmonkey786

quality posts: 1 Private Messages bookmonkey786

I'm sold on the the hardware, its the software that I'm hesitant about.

gephross100

quality posts: 4 Private Messages gephross100

i have a tegra 3 in my nexus 7, not happy with it. get the new nexus it is going to be faster for less money.

c u

morriea

gephross100 wrote:i have a tegra 3 in my nexus 7, not happy with it. get the new nexus it is going to be faster for less money.

Comparing this to the Nexus 7 is one heck of a stretch...I guess they are both tablets. That is about it. Apples and oranges are both fruit, also.

morriea

umeshunni wrote:Anyone know if the bootloader is unlocked? Can you root them and put Android on them?

Simple answer is NO.

swj719

quality posts: 0 Private Messages swj719

It does, until you realize that the keyboard also serves as a battery extension - it nearly doubles the battery life.

I've got one of the transformers (the android-based tablet Asus makes) and it's the same thing. They also serve as a sort of screen-protector. Dock it, close it, and the screen is covered.

Adds USB ports too...

sakanagai

quality posts: 4 Private Messages sakanagai
bookmonkey786 wrote:I'm sold on the the hardware, its the software that I'm hesitant about.

With good reason. I have a Surface RT and I certainly wouldn't recommend it to someone who isn't fully aware of what Windows RT entails. That said, it isn't without its charms (oh god, MS has turned that into a pun).

It's not a full OS; it's a tablet OS, first and foremost. You have to play the app store game if you want new software. You don't see Android or iOS making their way to your home desktop as a primary OS, so it should be no surprise that Windows RT shouldn't be there, either. It is a supplement to a full Windows 8 computer. You can't run Steam or your bevvy of .exe files, but neither can an iPad or Nexus.

Where Windows RT excels (damn it, sorry; last one, I swear) is its integration with its desktop platform. The UI is the same. The underlying OS layer is the same. If you have apps purchased from the Windows Store, they are the same. For the first time, you can natively run the same app on your tablet or your laptop/desktop, so long as it supports ARM (a significant portion in the Windows Store do); not even iOS and the Mac App Store can boast that. You get native NTFS support and cloud storage support (SkyDrive or whatever it becomes) integrated into core apps.

It comes with Office 2013 (Outlook is coming with 8.1, also free). Aside from lacking macro support, it's mostly indistinguishable from its x86/x64 counterpart. The idea is that you can work at home, then hit the road with your tablet, using your SkyDrive and app of choice to pick up right where you left off, while still maintaining the battery life, connected standby, and portability afforded by a tablet (Haswell has 2/3 with connected standby in the pipeline).

So, if you don't like taking work with you; if you don't have a Windows 8 machine at home; if you don't care at all about MS Office; if you don't have the need for a tablet; or if you don't feel that the price difference between a Windows RT tablet and a Windows 8 tablet/laptop is worth the compromise, skip it. Otherwise, Windows RT is a rather effective supplement to your desktop experience.

jandyprall

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jandyprall
sakanagai wrote:With good reason. I have a Surface RT and I certainly wouldn't recommend it to someone who isn't fully aware of what Windows RT entails...

x2. This is a good and accurate post. I like the Vivotab RT. In fact, I'm typing my post on the tablet's keyboard right now. For me, the biggest con is the fact that Windows RT doesn't work with Microsoft Exchange in the same way as Windows 8, which hampers productivity. When on my work network, I can't use network shares, for example. Also, Dropbox integration is poor(can't upload docs, only download for viewing), but Skydrive integration is much better. The battery life is outstanding, though, and in my opinion Windows RT is zippier than Windows 8 on a tablet. I had a Samsung Windows 8 tablet I purchased at the same time for about the same price as the Vivotab. I kept the Vivotab and returned the Samsung because it was much less touch responsive than the Vivotab. I've had no issues with the hardware or software beyond the built-in limitations of RT. And, to fully commit heresy here, I think that Windows RT/8 is a much better tablet interface than iOS.

Bottom line: great tablet for viewing emails, surfing web, multimedia/Netflix, etc. Could be better as a work tablet due to RT limitations & lack of digitizer.

chillzatl

quality posts: 3 Private Messages chillzatl
jandyprall wrote:For me, the biggest con is the fact that Windows RT doesn't work with Microsoft Exchange in the same way as Windows 8, which hampers productivity. When on my work network, I can't use network shares, for example.

the mail client is activesync, so it should work just like an ipad or smartphones. Granted, it's not outlook, but the mail client is the same one that's in win8. Also, you can use network shares just as on a regular PC, but you can't join RT to a domain. Though there are age old ways around this or you can simply authenticate to them with your network credentials as needed.

corvettejoe

quality posts: 24 Private Messages corvettejoe
sakanagai wrote:With good reason. I have a Surface RT and I certainly wouldn't recommend it to someone who isn't fully aware of what Windows RT entails. That said, it isn't without its charms (oh god, MS has turned that into a pun).

It's not a full OS; it's a tablet OS, first and foremost. You have to play the app store game if you want new software. You don't see Android or iOS making their way to your home desktop as a primary OS, so it should be no surprise that Windows RT shouldn't be there, either. It is a supplement to a full Windows 8 computer. You can't run Steam or your bevvy of .exe files, but neither can an iPad or Nexus.

Where Windows RT excels (damn it, sorry; last one, I swear) is its integration with its desktop platform. The UI is the same. The underlying OS layer is the same. If you have apps purchased from the Windows Store, they are the same. For the first time, you can natively run the same app on your tablet or your laptop/desktop, so long as it supports ARM (a significant portion in the Windows Store do); not even iOS and the Mac App Store can boast that. You get native NTFS support and cloud storage support (SkyDrive or whatever it becomes) integrated into core apps.

It comes with Office 2013 (Outlook is coming with 8.1, also free). Aside from lacking macro support, it's mostly indistinguishable from its x86/x64 counterpart. The idea is that you can work at home, then hit the road with your tablet, using your SkyDrive and app of choice to pick up right where you left off, while still maintaining the battery life, connected standby, and portability afforded by a tablet (Haswell has 2/3 with connected standby in the pipeline).

So, if you don't like taking work with you; if you don't have a Windows 8 machine at home; if you don't care at all about MS Office; if you don't have the need for a tablet; or if you don't feel that the price difference between a Windows RT tablet and a Windows 8 tablet/laptop is worth the compromise, skip it. Otherwise, Windows RT is a rather effective supplement to your desktop experience.

Quality Post right there!

Rasyoyo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Rasyoyo

Win. RT, good grief!!!! That kills the entire tablet. "RT" is an unfinished version of Win 8. Microsoft has 900 million dollars worth of their Surface Tablet w/ "RT" sitting in warehouses they want to dump on someone. Now here comes Asus Tablets and others that were suckered into buying this OS. Good hardware on both, lousy OS.

Rasyoyo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Rasyoyo
corvettejoe wrote:Quality Post right there!

Nice post CorvetteJoe but you forget one important fact. If you upgrade to Win 8.1 you will not be able to upgrade to the final version of Win 8 coming in November. Me? I'll wait it out and sit at my Desktop running Win 7. My HP laptop w/Win 8 I'll deal with until then.

sakanagai

quality posts: 4 Private Messages sakanagai
Rasyoyo wrote:Nice post CorvetteJoe but you forget one important fact. If you upgrade to Win 8.1 you will not be able to upgrade to the final version of Win 8 coming in November.

Huh? That's news to both me and Microsoft (Source). What you can't do is go back to the original version of Windows RT after installing the 8.1 preview for RT. Once the final version is available, you'll update the same way everyone else will.

g2pal

quality posts: 0 Private Messages g2pal

Who is the seller? Could not find it on the listing. Also interested in knowing about return policy in case its drag on arrival.

luke975

quality posts: 14 Private Messages luke975
g2pal wrote:Who is the seller? Could not find it on the listing. Also interested in knowing about return policy in case its drag on arrival.

woot's the seller. or at least acting as an agent between you and a vendor.

to the woot staff member that screwed up the back2skool code so I could get a lot of nice things for free - thank you.

sam280z

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sam280z

Beware Asus customer (un)support. I had a horrible time getting them to fix a Asus TF300 T-B1-BL Transformer Pad that I bought here. It took two trips back to their "repair" center and an extra week waiting for the power supply which they forgot to ship the second time.

This was a valentines day present for my wife which she finally got to use in June.

I used to love Asus and would recommend their products. That was before I had a problem with one. Never again Asus.

FreePlayPSP

quality posts: 4 Private Messages FreePlayPSP
MaxAwesome wrote:Nope, but why the hell would you want to? Asus Transformers can be had for this price on the regular.

I own a Transformer TF700T. It's an abominably bad tablet. The built-in flash memory is really, really slow - as in, it takes fully 15 minutes for the tablet to go from powered off to fully booted, and upwards of 25 minutes to make a 5GB backup to a MicroSD card. (That's less than 4MB/s.)

I'm not sure what the storage is like on this tablet, but if it's the same kind of flash that's in a TF700T, avoid it at all costs.

daneyuleb

quality posts: 3 Private Messages daneyuleb

I was considering it until I saw all the problems with "ghost touch" on the touchscreen making the touch feature unusable. There's a LOT of complaints about it, and they still seem to be coming. Can't get a handle on if it's been addressed or not (some say it's fixed with an update only to post again a week later to say it came back). Seeing posts with 2 or 3 RMAs and still getting the problem. Kind of scary.

GossipNinja

quality posts: 4 Private Messages GossipNinja
gephross100 wrote:i have a tegra 3 in my nexus 7, not happy with it. get the new nexus it is going to be faster for less money.

I love my N7, didn't notice much of the "lag" that many did, but android 4.3 added Ftrim support, so for those who had lag, have said it has made the tablet feel new again.

gak0090

quality posts: 78 Private Messages gak0090

Some of the older Nexus 7 tablets has a problem with the memory controller that was on the samsung memory modules. But is can be resolved by making sure your tablet is updated and running the forevergone app.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2334811
There are 2 known bugs - one actually could brick devices by overwriting protected blocks but allegedly has been addressed by Samsung - the other is frequently called "trim bug".
It begins to emerge if you fill your device up to a certain amount of free memory (roughly less than 3GB free). When the flash is low on blocks marked as "free", it starts looking for sections marked as "deleted".
Resolve the issue on a Nexus 7:
1)Make sure you are on Android 4.2.2.- the update will keep from triggering the bug
2)Wiping does not help, instead fill your device completely with data and afterwards remove it again to "free" the flash blocks. This forever gone App will do that: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.kovit.p.forevergone&hl=en

gak0090

quality posts: 78 Private Messages gak0090
FreePlayPSP wrote:I own a Transformer TF700T. It's an abominably bad tablet. The built-in flash memory is really, really slow - as in, it takes fully 15 minutes for the tablet to go from powered off to fully booted, and upwards of 25 minutes to make a 5GB backup to a MicroSD card. (That's less than 4MB/s.)

I'm not sure what the storage is like on this tablet, but if it's the same kind of flash that's in a TF700T, avoid it at all costs.

The rate of your back-up speed to the SD card is not that bad- it's basically class 4 speed. Even if you have a class 6 or class 10 card- sometimes their write speeds aren't honestly determined, in addition, the size of the files and how close you are to filling the card also determines the speed.

As far as the TF700T not performing well- kind of surprises me. I have a couple friends that use them all the time and love them. I have used theirs and have not noticed any issues. You could have a bad app(s) installed that's pulling your system resources. You might want to try a total system clean-up, reset to factory settings- see if that helps. I don't think that there is an issue with the memory controller- like there was on some of the Nexus 7 tablets, but if you want to run that forever gone app- it won't hurt anything (I have run it on a few of my tablets just for fun)- just make sure it goes completely through the cycle and don't interrupt it before its done. You would be surprised how much a bad app could cause a memory leak, or on a live background screen how much processor you use (especially since your tablet is 1920 x 1200 resolution. These are great tablets and worth troubleshooting. goodluck

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 589 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

PRICE CHANGE

What's this??? The price has been lowered!!??!

You know the drill. If you already bought, that money will be flying back into your bank accounts soonish.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

mstrblueskys

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mstrblueskys

Hey all - I have owned one of these since the week they were released. They're pretty nice. I paid A LOT more than this, and I think it was almost worth it at that price. This is a steal. Some things you should know:

1 - The battery lasts for an eternity. I had an Android Transformer and this is very comparable. I don't worry about taking it on a long weekend without a charger.

2 - It's great if you need MS Word or Excel. My first love will always be my Chromebook, but this is a must if you need anything from the Office Suite.

3 - The updates to this device have made it TONS better. It used to be really glitchy, but those have almost all gone away through a series of updates. It should be right as rain now.

4 - The keyboard is awesome for the size of the device. Don't think it's a netbook (shudders) keyboard. It is actually very functional.

5 - I highly recommend if you are going to do this that you grab the keyboard. It's worth it, and you likely will hate using the thing with the onscreen keyboard.

Hope that helps. It's a great device.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 589 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

g2pal wrote:Who is the seller? Could not find it on the listing. Also interested in knowing about return policy in case its drag on arrival.

Woot is the seller.

The FAQ should answer most of your questions.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

jman30

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jman30
bookmonkey786 wrote:I'm sold on the the hardware, its the software that I'm hesitant about.

I have had this since it was released in November. I really like it and the Window 8 RT has been solid for me. The display has given me some ghost touches. That has been the only problem. The keyboard is awesome. I also own an Ipad 2 and Nexus 7. I would use this over them if I had to pick one.

daneyuleb

quality posts: 3 Private Messages daneyuleb

Ack. The price change is really tempting me here. That ghost touch thing is worrying though.

Any owners out there have any experience with the touch problem? Did it get fixed in recent updates? Does it definitely seem to be a software issue?

ddb1138

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ddb1138

Had the Asus Transformer Prime which died exactly 2 weeks after the warranty expired. Asus wanted me to pay them $250 to fix the tablet, which I figured would be better used towards a product that wasn't built by Asus.

pwrof3

quality posts: 4 Private Messages pwrof3

FYI, the Windows RT 8.1 update is coming soon, which will make significant improvements to this OS. Read about it here: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/preview

pwrof3

quality posts: 4 Private Messages pwrof3
daneyuleb wrote:Ack. The price change is really tempting me here. That ghost touch thing is worrying though.

Any owners out there have any experience with the touch problem? Did it get fixed in recent updates? Does it definitely seem to be a software issue?

Ghost touch is still a problem with my Surface RT Tablet. It seems to be an software problem, not a hardware problem.

jnemesh

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jnemesh
lichme wrote:Take a look at these good reviews from NewEgg
And these 3.5 star reviews from Amazon

Better idea, go to Microsoft and look at the PATHETIC offering of apps available!
This will NOT run regular Windows software, and there is not much worthwhile in their app store! Do yourself a favor and keep your money in your pocket.