Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3695 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

Let's read more about the warranty over at breville

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3695 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

TONS of very good reviews (4.5 out of 5.0) on an extremely similar model over at amazon

pizzabot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pizzabot
conanthelibrarian wrote:TONS of very good reviews (4.5 out of 5.0) on an extremely similar model over at amazon

Same model, same idea on reviews. All very good. http://amzn.com/B005E0A1MI

thislilgecko

quality posts: 2 Private Messages thislilgecko

Anyone know what makes this a JE98CL v. a JE98XL?

LEM-

quality posts: 147 Private Messages LEM-

I own an older version of this guy for a number of years now... That is 10 years or so. Don't use it too often anymore, but when my kids were little babies we used to run it daily.

Hopefully the newer version is at least the same quality or better than mine, but the one I have is built like a tank! Very solid. You can really feel the power when it runs! And hear it too, unfortunately, but that's a part of a game I'm afraid.

pizzabot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pizzabot
thislilgecko wrote:Anyone know what makes this a JE98CL v. a JE98XL?

Just a guess, but the XL Feed Chute?

Suavo67

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Suavo67

Got it for a wedding gift, we have been juicing for a couple months with this bad boy. I read some reviews that said that the pulp leftover was still wet, but I am yet to have that problem. It really extracts well, and is well built.

Great buy, you won't regret!

rebeltreble

quality posts: 17 Private Messages rebeltreble

I have the Breville Compact Juice Fountain. I LOVE that thing. I've been making 14-20 juices a week for six months now and that thing looks and works just like day one. My only complain was it was too small to make two juices at once, so I would have to empty it to make a second juice for my husband. Needless to say I can't WAIT to get this newer bigger one in!

Helpful Hint: Clean this RIGHT after juicing...even before you drink your juice. If you let the pulp sit on the filter for even five minutes it gets hard to clean...a half an hour of it sitting and you will stain your filter. I've juiced beets and all sorts of colored veggied and my filter still looks brand new from always cleaning up right away. From start to finish (including prepping veggies and cleaning the juicer) it takes around ten minutes.

I highly recommend the Breville juicers. It beats every other juicer I've tried hands down for juice extraction, ease of cleaning, and durability. I've had a Jack LeLanne and a Cuisinart before this one, but I got them both at garage sales. The Breville is the first juicer I bought new, so maybe that made the difference.

Signatures are harshing my mellow.

kitcatbrat

quality posts: 23 Private Messages kitcatbrat

I bought this at Bed, Bath and Beyond and I love it! It's easy to clean, which was a big selling point for me

sdc100

quality posts: 506 Private Messages sdc100

We've had one for a few years and this is as good as a centrifugal juicer can get. Every piece was thoughtfully desgned. For example, the plug features a donut ring design (see Woot photo), making plugging and unplugging easier and safer. It also has fewer crevices than other models we looked into. That makes cleaning easier. The large chute and locking arm has been copied a lot, but Breville's design seems seems better than others. Not having to cut mostfruits is an incredible time saver. Whether it's the powerful motor or the blade, this juicer does seem to extract more juice, and at a faster rate, than other models. The resulting pulp is incredible dry. We use vegetable pulp to make soup and mix the fruit pulp into other foods, i.e. yogurt or oatmeal. The froth separator works reasonably well but we don't mind froth.

We rarely use the slow speed because we generally puree soft fruits in the blender. We also prefer to juice citrus fruits in a traditional citrus juicer to avoid the bitterness of the pith and rind. And of course, soft leafy vegetables, i.e. spinach, are harder to juice centrifugally. All told, if you want a centrifugal juicer, the Breville is probably the best one available for home use. In fact, I've even seen it in diners and other commercial places.

sdc100

rebeltreble wrote:Helpful Hint: Clean this RIGHT after juicing...even before you drink your juice. If you let the pulp sit on the filter for even five minutes it gets hard to clean...a half an hour of it sitting and you will stain your filter. I've juiced beets and all sorts of colored veggied and my filter still looks brand new from always cleaning up right away. From start to finish (including prepping veggies and cleaning the juicer) it takes around ten minutes.

Agreed, but if you're rushing off to work and don't have time, simply submerge the parts in water so that the pulp won't dry onto the parts. Using soapy water is even better. Then clean as soon as you can.

sdc100

RaiseAkitas wrote:Ewwww, a reconditioned juicer? Come on Woot, now you are getting narly.

I had no qualms getting one because they're sterilized before leaving the factory. In fact, most parts are replaced with new ones. Considering that you're using used utensils at a restaurant, and their appliances and cookware are no cleaner than reconditioned, what's the hangup? Fact is, all germs die within a few days in a dry environment. Furthermore, recondition does not necessarily mean used. They could be opened or damaged box items that need to be examined and repackaged for sale.

tehmark

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tehmark

Two things. The screens on these are a pain in the ass to clean and make up half of the cleanup time. Two, stick your plastic grocery bags in the waste bin for super quick cleanup for that section.

sdc100

Don't waste the pulp, guys. Because of this juicer's superior efficiency, the pulp comes out incredibly dry. That makes it less appetizing than pulp from a weaker juicer. But you can easily use veggie pulp to make soup or stock, or as a thickener for sauces. And fruit pulp can be mixed into yogurt, oatmeal or jam for spreading. Many people also use it for baking.

Keep in ind that all the fiber is contained in the pulp, and fiber is one of the major reasons for eating fruits and veggies. It also fills you up, helping you eat less. Finally, lots of nutrients and antioxidants are contained in the skin. They're what gives the skin color. In fact, all the benefits of red wine, for example, are stored in the grape skin.

I just got two ideas...
1) Putting the pulp in water for a day or so and then filtering it out can give you fruit-infused water. All natural and zero calories.

2) I'm going to try putting the pulp in a coffeemaker and see what comes out. Will veggie pulp result in instant veggie consomme? Will mixing fruit pulp with tea leaves result in fruit teas? Or is the exposure to boiling water too short? Hmmmmmm...

polizzi82

quality posts: 7 Private Messages polizzi82

Been 'juicing' for 36 days yesterday - today was my first day back on foods. Easing back with fruits and lots of veggies of course...

I'm down over 70 pounds from last November when I started doing periodic juice fasts, down 42 lbs from this recent fast. I made a video this weekend on how to juice with this exact juicer. It's a tank!

I had a Jack Lelaine that broke after a couple months. This juicer is well built, well reviewed, amazing compared to the others, and this price is what I got mine for used off Craiglist! I might buy it just to have a spare :D

I make a green drink and go over how to dissemble the Breville as well:
You may need to turn on the CC as it gets loud when on, enjoy!

sdc100

tehmark wrote:Two things. The screens on these are a pain in the ass to clean and make up half of the cleanup time. Two, stick your plastic grocery bags in the waste bin for super quick cleanup for that section.

By screen, do you mean the blade? I agree that it's a pain but that's true of all centrifugal juicers. And most people say that the Breville is the easiest to clean. Those with dishwashers should have a much easier time.

I use a clean plastic bag because I save the pulp (see previous post). I can then simply put the bag in a freezer to store. But if you don't want the pulp, lining the pulp container with a grocery bag definitely keeps it from getting dirty. Just toss in the garbage later.

sdc100

BTW, the pulp is also perfect for composting.

sdc100

polizzi82 wrote:Been 'juicing' for 36 days yesterday - today was my first day back on foods. Easing back with fruits and lots of veggies of course...

I'm down over 70 pounds from last November when I started doing periodic juice fasts, down 42 lbs from this recent fast. I made a video this weekend on how to juice with this exact juicer. It's a tank!

If you're going on a juice diet, make sure you do so under the supervision of a doctor. Juicing alone usually deprives the body of essential fats and protein. Fat is necessary for many reasons, including the absorption of fat soluable vitamins like K. And protein is necessary for cellular repair, i.e muscles. Mixing in some protein or supplement powder can assure that you're getting enough nutrients. Some people also blend in tofu, which provides fat and protein. Be warn, however, that a recent study linked high consumption of soy with brain damage (which is too bad because I'm a tofu addict, sometimes consuming 1-2 lbs with nothing else).

If you're on a strict juice diet, you'd also be missing the fiber present in whole fruits and veggies. That's not good for digestion and overall health. Finally, many fruit juices are high in sugar so diabetics and pre-diabetics need to be careful. The fact that you're ingesting more juice than you would when eating whole fruits also means your ingesting a lot more sugar.

Be careful and good luck.

spun4621

quality posts: 3 Private Messages spun4621

Congrats on the weight loss!

polizzi82 wrote:Been 'juicing' for 36 days yesterday - today was my first day back on foods. Easing back with fruits and lots of veggies of course...

I had a Jack Lelaine that broke after a couple months. This juicer is well built, well reviewed, amazing compared to the others, and this price is what I got mine for used off Craiglist! I might buy it just to have a spare :D

alextse

quality posts: 24 Private Messages alextse

I have a Breville juicer very similar to this one but don't really like it. The biggest problem is that you constantly have to clean out the filter to keep up with the juicing. CONSTANTLY. Which means taking apart the top and scraping it "clean," reassembling, then juice a little bit more and repeating. Very annoying. Also the remaining pulp is very wet so it's not very efficient.

I think I'll probably eventually get a slow masticating type juicer where a screw/auger slow turns and extracts all the juice leaving just dry pulp. A well designed one can keep ejecting pulp while continuously juicing. However, I've been told to pay attention to the screw/auger as that is the weak link, a cheap one will wear out very quickly.

Lastly, the problem with juicing is that you lose out on all the very nutritious pulp. Of course juice is a lot more healthy than a soda but eating whole fruits and vegetables is significantly better!

sdc100

alextse wrote:I have a Breville juicer very similar to this one but don't really like it. The biggest problem is that you constantly have to clean out the filter to keep up with the juicing. CONSTANTLY. Which means taking apart the top and scraping it "clean," reassembling, then juice a little bit more and repeating. Very annoying. Also the remaining pulp is very wet so it's not very efficient.

Both symptoms suggest that the motor is too slow. Normally, the pulp should be very dry and the pulp should be flung into the grey container, rarely needing manual scraping. Have you tried using the highest speed? If yes, make sure your outlet is steadily outputting 110-120V, and that there are no other high wattage appliances actively on the same line, i.e. air conditioner. Finally, you may have a faulty unit.

olego

quality posts: 1 Private Messages olego
alextse wrote:Lastly, the problem with juicing is that you lose out on all the very nutritious pulp.

This is true, but I would still recommend this juicer for anyone who likes fresh apple juice for the flavour.

My favourite recipe is 4 granny smith apples, 2 ambrosia (or similar) apples, and 2 carrots. Makes about 700ml (23 oz), great for two people with a bit to spare. Beats most of bottled apple juices I've tried.

sdc100

alextse wrote:I think I'll probably eventually get a slow masticating type juicer where a screw/auger slow turns and extracts all the juice leaving just dry pulp. A well designed one can keep ejecting pulp while continuously juicing. However, I've been told to pay attention to the screw/auger as that is the weak link, a cheap one will wear out very quickly.

We considered a masticating juicer but decided on a centrifugal unit (this Breville) for several reasons. Note that out experience is different from yours. Our pulp is VERY dry, and we almost never manually scrape the juicer.

- Masticating juicers are MUCH slower, both in preparation and juicing -- especially when compared to this Breville with its large chute and fast motor. There is much more prep work involved, where everything has to be cut into small pieces for feeding. This Breville accepts whole fruits. Then the juice merely drips out, unlike centrifugal juicers where the juice is flung out. With apples, this Breville is almost pouring the juice out!

- If you choose to use the pulp, centrifugal juicers give more uniform pulp, in nice small pieces.

- Centrifugal juicers are much cheaper. Some can be bought for
less than $30. Masticating juicers usually cost more than $200, often >$300.

- Centrifugal juicers may be more flexible. The main mechanism is merely a fast motor. My food processor, for example, has a centrifugal attachment. I've also seen blenders with a centrifugal attachment. Masticating units are much more intricate and specialized. The motors needs extreme torque and low speed, which is generally not the case for other appliances. That's why there are no masticating attachments, as far as I know.

- Cnetrifugal juicers often have smaller footprints (although they're taller).

ON the other hand,masticators have several advantages:

- THey generally use less electricity, around 200-300 watts, as opposed to the 600-900 watts of good centrifugal juicers. But since masticators are slower, the machine needs to be on longer so electrical usage may even out. I'm not sure.

- They're quieter

- They're more effective with soft leafy veggies like spinach. The masticator literally chews and squeezes. out the juice

- It produces no foam. Centrifugal juicers spin in a lot of air, which produces bubbles. Some people don't like the foam, and it can lead to intestinal gas.

jupiterstrauss

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jupiterstrauss
sdc100 wrote:BTW, the pulp is also perfect for composting.

We have one. Love it. We compost. Should have got the one without the shoot. For weight loss, stay away from fruit, stick with veges of every color.

radar9

quality posts: 0 Private Messages radar9
alextse wrote:I have a Breville juicer very similar to this one but don't really like it. The biggest problem is that you constantly have to clean out the filter to keep up with the juicing. CONSTANTLY. Which means taking apart the top and scraping it "clean," reassembling, then juice a little bit more and repeating. Very annoying. Also the remaining pulp is very wet so it's not very efficient.

I think I'll probably eventually get a slow masticating type juicer where a screw/auger slow turns and extracts all the juice leaving just dry pulp. A well designed one can keep ejecting pulp while continuously juicing. However, I've been told to pay attention to the screw/auger as that is the weak link, a cheap one will wear out very quickly.

Lastly, the problem with juicing is that you lose out on all the very nutritious pulp. Of course juice is a lot more healthy than a soda but eating whole fruits and vegetables is significantly better!

Thank you for your post. My question was going to be is this a masticating juicer. My wife is looking for one of those to replace her other juicer. Thanks for info.

karthikayans

quality posts: 0 Private Messages karthikayans

Got pretty much similar item from Aldi for $39.99 new.

karthikayans

quality posts: 0 Private Messages karthikayans
radar9 wrote:Thank you for your post. My question was going to be is this a masticating juicer. My wife is looking for one of those to replace her other juicer. Thanks for info.

This is not a masticating juicer. They seem to cost in the range of $200+

michoutdoors

quality posts: 6 Private Messages michoutdoors

If you buy one of these, you had better keep your checkbook loaded up for all of the extra $$ you will be spending on fruits and veggies. Juice extractors use 5 times more fruits and veggies to make one glass of juice than a whole food juicer. Many of the health benefits of eating fruits and veggies are also stripped away when you extract. Woot had the Vitamix up for sale in the last week. Albeit they cost a chunk more $$ up front, you will never be sorry you bought one in the long run. I guarantee you won't be wasting your time or $$ prepping a half of a sink full of fruits and veggies to make a glass of juice. One apple, some blueberries, a banana, a few strawberries and a cup of yogurt...walla! Juice for the whole family...and no pulp to throw away (read...wasted fiber and assorted nutrients). And the Vitamix cleans itself in under a minute. Juice on fellow Wooters!

rebeltreble

sdc100 wrote:Agreed, but if you're rushing off to work and don't have time, simply submerge the parts in water so that the pulp won't dry onto the parts. Using soapy water is even better. Then clean as soon as you can.

That too, but I juice every morning and then at night when I'm "fasting" (like now). I think it would make me too lazy to make my dinner juice if it was dirty when I got of work. To each their own, but the important thing is to soak/wash right away!

I as surprised how many Amazon comments complained of a stained filter. All I can think is they didn't clean it properly and somehow that is Brevilles fault.

rebeltreble

michoutdoors wrote:If you buy one of these, you had better keep your checkbook loaded up for all of the extra $$ you will be spending on fruits and veggies. Juice extractors use 5 times more fruits and veggies to make one glass of juice than a whole food juicer. Many of the health benefits of eating fruits and veggies are also stripped away when you extract. Woot had the Vitamix up for sale in the last week. Albeit they cost a chunk more $$ up front, you will never be sorry you bought one in the long run. I guarantee you won't be wasting your time or $$ prepping a half of a sink full of fruits and veggies to make a glass of juice. One apple, some blueberries, a banana, a few strawberries and a cup of yogurt...walla! Juice for the whole family...and no pulp to throw away (read...wasted fiber and assorted nutrients). And the Vitamix cleans itself in under a minute. Juice on fellow Wooters!

I spend about $80 a week on juicing produce for my husband and I when we are fasting and $15 when we aren't (I always juice in the morning). That works out to $3.80 a juice during the fast and $2.14. That is mostly organic too since I get most the produce at Costco.

rebeltreble

Awesome job! I tried a complete juice fast and pretty much lost my will to live (I know people say it gets better after the first week, but 5 days of feeling miserable was enough for me).

Now when I "fast" I juice twice a day, have a reasonable lunch (usually lots of salad, 400 - 500 calories), coconut water or yogurt in the morning for a snack, and a protein shake after a light workout. I don't lose as fast as some people, but usually 6-8 pounds every ten days and I have more energy as well. I love juicing!

rebeltreble

Here is my typical morning juice drink:
7-8 carrots
1 yellow, orange, or red bell pepper
1 small orange
1 kiwi
1" piece of ginger

This is my latest favorite evening drink:
1 zuchinni
1/2 cucumber
6 asparagus spears
handful parsley
1 green apple
30 seedless grapes (I prefer green, but red is good too)

Anyone else have a good mix to share?

Coogles

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Coogles

On the current season of America's test Kitchen they did an equipment test comparing six mainstream juicers, the Breville Juice Fountain Plus was the overall winner. You can see the review via the link below or just go to americastestkitchen.com and search for "electric juicers" if you prefer to not click on links posted by random people on the internet.

http://www.americastestkitchen.com/video/index.php?docid=41992&incode=M**ASCA00

I was thinking about buying this exact model last weekend for $150 but hesitated, now I'm glad I waited. The $70 I saved buying it from Woot! will buy a lot of vegetables!

circusninja

quality posts: 9 Private Messages circusninja

There is a documentary made by a cool Aussie, and he uses this same brand. The name of the film is "Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead" and I shows how juicing can be a very important part of good health. The best thing is, it tastes great, so you don't "feel" like you are being good.

nklb

quality posts: 2 Private Messages nklb

The title says RM-JE98XL but the specs page says RM-JE98CL; which is it???

tzstlouis

quality posts: 5 Private Messages tzstlouis

This juicer changed our lifestyle for the better! I have the breville juice fountain plus xl, purchased new in March 2013. I love it. Well designed, easy to clean - I do clean mine immediately after juicing, and I do use a plastic bag inside the pulp chute to make clean up a snap!
I wanted to drop some weight, watched "Fat Sick and Nearly Dead" (see that website, or google "Juicing with Joe" or "Reboot with Joe") and with my dr's blessing, I did a 7 day juice fast. LOVE THIS JUICER. It was an almost effortless way to drop 13 pounds in one week! - that 7 days of juicing also took things away from me... I no longer have any heartburn. Nor do I have any allergy symptoms, and the stiffness in my hands is also gone. My sis started juicing, and she's lost weight, and now when we work in our mom's garden, there's no GROANING sounds when we get up and down as we work in the garden!

Hubby and I have had this juicer for 5 months now and through juicing, our eyes were opened to a whole new healthier world.

I feel fantastic, juicing occasionally now - loving fresh wonderful juice as a fantastic way to get the real nutrition my body had been crying for. Hubby enjoys it too, and many of our friends have purchased one and are opening their eyes to the value of a plant-based diet.

BUY IT! It just might change your world, too.

Don't buy it if you really want to hang on to your stuffy sinus troubles, heartburn and achey joints, tho! Fresh juice kinda sends all those troubles packin'!

bigray57

quality posts: 10 Private Messages bigray57

I own SEVERAL refurbished Breville products, from coffee makers, to toaster ovens to pie-makers. NEVER had a problem with them and they arrived in NEW condition. Not a spot or blemish on any of them.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 590 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

nklb wrote:The title says RM-JE98XL but the specs page says RM-JE98CL; which is it???

It's the 98XL. Sale will be fixed shortly.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

intensesupernova

quality posts: 2 Private Messages intensesupernova
michoutdoors wrote:If you buy one of these, you had better keep your checkbook loaded up for all of the extra $$ you will be spending on fruits and veggies. Juice extractors use 5 times more fruits and veggies to make one glass of juice than a whole food juicer. Many of the health benefits of eating fruits and veggies are also stripped away when you extract. Woot had the Vitamix up for sale in the last week. Albeit they cost a chunk more $$ up front, you will never be sorry you bought one in the long run. I guarantee you won't be wasting your time or $$ prepping a half of a sink full of fruits and veggies to make a glass of juice. One apple, some blueberries, a banana, a few strawberries and a cup of yogurt...walla! Juice for the whole family...and no pulp to throw away (read...wasted fiber and assorted nutrients). And the Vitamix cleans itself in under a minute. Juice on fellow Wooters!

I've been thinking about getting a Vitamix for years (sad that I missed it, but not so sad if the warranty was only woot warranty), and I know it's a completely different thing than a juicer, but I think I may want the juicer too. Ugh. Decisions.