Should be noted: I believe this is a woot exclusive for this model

lichme

quality posts: 2693 Private Messages lichme

Item: Onkyo 7.2 Receiver w/ Bluetooth +%26 Wi-Fi
Price: $329.99
Shipping Options: $5 Standard
Condition: New

Search Amazon Search Google

Previous Similar Sales (May not be exact model)
8/16/2013 - $329.99 - 18 comment(s)
8/12/2013 - $329.99 - 69 comment(s)
7/9/2013 - $399.99 - 135 comment(s)

tbar

quality posts: 2 Private Messages tbar

My comment from the last offering. Only problem I have had was a week ago when the system started blinking the Uverse HDMI port. Swapped cables and components with no change. Cold reset (unplug, let sit, plug back in) got it back.

I sprung for this for the Zone 2, Bluetooth and 2 HDMI outputs it offers. I also love the sound of Onkyo since I brought one home from the Saigon BX in 1972. I had another Onkyo a few years back but it died so was glad to see this one come up again. Crossed fingers on the overheating and HDMI board issues. I will keep my Yamaha just in case.
This is a beast so don’t think installation will be easy. Worth the effort – yep! Easy – only if you have no need for it.

I run a set of four Epiphany Sonic Storms for the corners of the room, 2 Bose 901’s for the fat in the front channels, 2 powered subs for the boom, Atlantic Technology FS3200 center and 2 Bose 505’s for the patio. Audessey made speaker setup easy and they all sound great. Next for the source setup.

AT&T Uverse for TV and sports, ROKU and AppleTV for stored library and Netflix, Sirius radio in a house dock for easy music, Pogoplug on the net for MP3’s (sux may go with a notebook), and Samsung BluRay for DVD’s. Not an easy setup. I got the Onkyo in Thursday afternoon and have worked on this setup off on since. Finally got it right a couple of hours ago.
You will need the PDF files on the DVD that comes with the package and you will need to print out some of the more useful pages – handy for notes.
The difficult part is matching analog source to inputs. HDMI is easy, but read plug patterns before having to do them twice. I didn’t! Bluetooth was easy! Had that working right away as with network. No issues there. Zone 2 however requires a switch set in setup that I couldn’t find in the manual. Googled that one and it is known so Zone 2 works just fine. TV in the den, 60’s on 6 on the patio at the same time WOOT! Pretty easy matching analog sources too as long as you don’t want to know how it actually does it. It just does. The processing system in the box does a wonderful job of making everything connect and that is a lot better than the last Onkyo I had. I had to reprogram that everytime I got a power flux. Onkyo, I hope you have fixed that. I was almost glad when my old unit died!
I hope this is informative and helps someone – either in the decision or the install. If you can use it, buy it – the price is right and it is a really neat box. Good luck. I did it and I’m an old fart!

snorklesex

quality posts: 0 Private Messages snorklesex

What's with all these really awesome receivers with composite input but no s-video??

prodigy311

quality posts: 1 Private Messages prodigy311

Tbar, thanks for the great write up. I want this but I read on a similar model that zone 2 only supports analog audio. Is this true? I want to connect my Apple TV with Hemingway only and use that in zone 2.

traquy

quality posts: 51 Private Messages traquy

I see Sirius/XM internet radio listed on the specs, but am I right to assume that this means it only streams Siruis/XM online and will not support XM satellite?

ROGETRAY

quality posts: 152 Private Messages ROGETRAY

Staff

traquy wrote:I see Sirius/XM internet radio listed on the specs, but am I right to assume that this means it only streams Siruis/XM online and will not support XM satellite?

Sirius bought out XM awhile back and now it's just Sirius XM Radio:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sirius_XM_Radio

mattmatics11

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mattmatics11

Does anyone know if it is possible to use the component video inputs in conjunction with the optical audio input? I have an older xbox 360, with no hdmi, so I'd like to be able to use its existing component cables for video, but also be able to use an optical audio cable for full surround sound. I see that the component is supposedly "assignable," but I'm not sure what exactly that means. Thanks!

icyftw

quality posts: 1 Private Messages icyftw

I have another onkyo receiver (TX-NR509), and I have to say that the iOS apps (OnkyoRemote, OnkyoRemote2) aren't very good - not responsive, wake on . The receiver doesn't respond to them very often or slowly, and the web interface is essentially useless.

I don't know about on this receiver, but if you want to use features like Pandora and what not, its a bit annoying. As a receiver though, I do like it otherwise (and I have a bluetooth transmitter attached to stream music from other things to mitigate the annoying internet features due to the controls).

unlikely

quality posts: 2 Private Messages unlikely

I would avoid this completely. I got a similar model a little over a year ago and it ran fine for ~6 months before crapping out. It would still pass video through HDMI, but nothing would generate any audio. Not even static off of the FM/AM.
Thinking there might have been something I set wrong during a drunken stumble through the buttons on the remote, I checked online for settings/reset advice. What I found was that the same model as I have was failing in exactly the same way for dozens of others.
Onkyo is, apparently, a trap.
I hope I've saved at least one fellow wooter a few hundred bucks of headache...

Tomsellers

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Tomsellers

Curious- How did you set it up to work with the Bose 901's? Does the internal software include a 901 set up option? I have always used pre out to power amp ins for my 901's. and that is not an option on this box.... Thanks

quantumspec1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages quantumspec1

How is Onkyo's customer support and warranty turnaround? Looks like a good value but after checking reviews on other Onkyo receivers, I'm hesitant to drop my hard earned cash on a product that seems to die pretty frequently/rapidly.

dirk1965

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dirk1965
snorklesex wrote:What's with all these really awesome receivers with composite input but no s-video??

Uhmmm... probably because it's 80's technology?

mysterytrout

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mysterytrout
quantumspec1 wrote:How is Onkyo's customer support and warranty turnaround?

In a word, awful. I bought the Onkyo TX-SR606 several years back. The short story is the HDMI board went out within six months. The first time it was replaced under warranty but it was in the shop for six weeks. The second time was just after the one-year warranty expired.

Customer service was dreadful probably because this is a known problem with this brand. I vowed then and there never to buy another Onkyo product again and tell anyone I could about my experience. I'm a "verified buyer" through Amazon and my review is on that site.

Do your research on Onkyo and HDMI and then run, run away from this brand.

DraconWolf

quality posts: 3 Private Messages DraconWolf
unlikely wrote:I would avoid this completely. I got a similar model a little over a year ago and it ran fine for ~6 months before crapping out. It would still pass video through HDMI, but nothing would generate any audio. Not even static off of the FM/AM.
Thinking there might have been something I set wrong during a drunken stumble through the buttons on the remote, I checked online for settings/reset advice. What I found was that the same model as I have was failing in exactly the same way for dozens of others.
Onkyo is, apparently, a trap.
I hope I've saved at least one fellow wooter a few hundred bucks of headache...

On the flip side, I've had NOTHING but good luck with Onkyo products. I love them and will use nothing else. My TX-NR609 has been going strong for 2 years with not a single problem. It replaced an Onkyo R340 which is still being used in my bedroom, again, with no problems.

icyftw wrote:I have another onkyo receiver (TX-NR509), and I have to say that the iOS apps (OnkyoRemote, OnkyoRemote2) aren't very good - not responsive, wake on .

Download O-Remote. It's a much better iOS remote app over the Onkyo first party apps.

Junkrob

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Junkrob

The short answer is yes. I have an older DVD player with optical audio (and coaxial too) and composite outputs. I got this unit off a previous offering and hooked it up yesterday. Works like a dream. Basically, in the setup, you tell it which video port to assign the optical (and coaxial) inputs to. It is fairly easy to do.

mattmatics11 wrote:Does anyone know if it is possible to use the component video inputs in conjunction with the optical audio input? I have an older xbox 360, with no hdmi, so I'd like to be able to use its existing component cables for video, but also be able to use an optical audio cable for full surround sound. I see that the component is supposedly "assignable," but I'm not sure what exactly that means. Thanks!

chambers126

quality posts: 1 Private Messages chambers126
traquy wrote:I see Sirius/XM internet radio listed on the specs, but am I right to assume that this means it only streams Siruis/XM online and will not support XM satellite?

There is a built-in app that streams online Sirius/XM.

I just bought this system a couple of weeks ago during an Amazon "Today's Deal" session. I paid $319 with free shipping. The sound quality is excellent, but the system must be cranked before you get any sound ... I'm talking 50+% on the volume before there is a peep. It's likely going back to Amazon.

tbar

Yep - just gets Sirius/XM on line. No receiver built into the set. I use a Sirius portable radio on the Aux port.

tbar

prodigy311 wrote:Tbar, thanks for the great write up. I want this but I read on a similar model that zone 2 only supports analog audio. Is this true? I want to connect my Apple TV with Hemingway only and use that in zone 2.

The meaning of that sentence is quirky. I use the zone 2 for listening to Intune and any other source that is connected. I think they mean that the Zone 2 has no HDMI processing capability but have no real clue.

tbar

Tomsellers wrote:Curious- How did you set it up to work with the Bose 901's? Does the internal software include a 901 set up option? I have always used pre out to power amp ins for my 901's. and that is not an option on this box.... Thanks

Most modern systems use spectrum adjustments of some sort. I shoved the 901 audio box into a closet some years back and use the internal tone controls with the 901's as my really big speakers on the fronts of Zone 1. Sounds great.

bluemaple

quality posts: 66 Private Messages bluemaple

Wow. If you have questions about this receiver, just go look at the July comments - 149 of them over 4 pages!

OnkyoUSA is even posting in there.

Thanks @lichme.

7/9/2013 - $399.99 - 135 comment(s)

gregoryprice

quality posts: 2 Private Messages gregoryprice
prodigy311 wrote:Tbar, thanks for the great write up. I want this but I read on a similar model that zone 2 only supports analog audio. Is this true? I want to connect my Apple TV with Hemingway only and use that in zone 2.

Digital ready zone 2 is typically only in high-end units, so unfortunately the answer here is no. There is a resource here that is a good overview of how zone 2 works to explain http://batpigworld.com/wp/?p=160.

baldbear

quality posts: 0 Private Messages baldbear

Only online.

baldbear

tbar wrote:The meaning of that sentence is quirky. I use the zone 2 for listening to Intune and any other source that is connected. I think they mean that the Zone 2 has no HDMI processing capability but have no real clue.

No HDMI and no digital ins for Zone 2, BUT you can stream the internet sources to Zone 2.

baldbear

The mobile app to control this works pretty well, but to get the android app to control volume for zone 2 you need to update the firmware on the receiver.

ManiacDan

quality posts: 4 Private Messages ManiacDan
tbar wrote: Cold reset (unplug, let sit, plug back in) got it back.

If you buy an Onkyo receiver, put the plug somewhere easy to reach. You'll be unplugging it to fix these random firmware glitches at least monthly, sometimes weekly. My first Onkyo needed to be unplugged weekly to stop it from buzzing (aka "the hum," a constant plague on all Onkyo products), and my current one needs to be unplugged once a month or so before it will actually display HDMI video.

Onkyo receivers are the cheapest for a reason. They're feature-rich and will handle anything you throw at them...most of the time. Other times, they just stop working and there's nothing you can do about it. Onkyo denies most of these problems exist, because for the most part they cannot be reproduced (unplugging it to have it serviced will fix it).

spyderx6

quality posts: 1 Private Messages spyderx6

Hey Folks, just though I would put this out there. I worked for a home technology company for the past year. we had many service calls for Onkyo receivers. I have seen in not a very long time in the field. you don't want to be getting onkyo, if you plan on keeping your receiver for any length of time. they stop working very soon after the manufacture warrenty wears off. and theres nothing you can do about it. they seem to work fine for up to 2 years, then they crap out. I would turn and walk away.

suicidebree

quality posts: 0 Private Messages suicidebree

Am i able to control this from my ipad trough wifi or does it have to be bluetooth? My backyard is not close to where this would be set up. Thanks for the help!

Hasteur

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Hasteur

Any info about AirPlay capability on this? I recently set up a RaspberyPi to be the AirPlay reciever and then patched it into an older Onkyo set that Woot offered a while back. If this one offers a native AirPlay capability it'd be one step closer to my whole house streaming offering.

phinexozek

quality posts: 0 Private Messages phinexozek
snorklesex wrote:What's with all these really awesome receivers with composite input but no s-video??

Who still uses s-video? :P

mcgary911

quality posts: 2 Private Messages mcgary911

The receiver won't do it natively, but an investment of $20 will have you listening to your AppleTV in zone 2. Just pick up a digital to analog converter from Amazon or Monoprice, feed the optical out of your Apple TV (use the HDMI for your zone1) into the converter, analog out of the converter to an unused analog input on your receiver. Now you can play the audio from your Apple TV in Zone 2. This is possible because all outputs from your Apple TV are always live.

I do the same with zone 2 for my patio TV. HDMI feeds the inside from the cable box through the receiver. The analog audio outs feed an analog in on the receiver. Video goes via component cables from the cable box to the outside TV. This saves me the hassle and expense of another cable box.

adr5

quality posts: 4 Private Messages adr5
phinexozek wrote:Who still uses s-video? :P

The folks who stopped using composite because it was inferior.

cjmoran

quality posts: 1 Private Messages cjmoran

I used to think Onkyo was the shizzy back in the day. Now, from what I read and research, I would stay far away.

Rock

baldbear

mattmatics11 wrote:Does anyone know if it is possible to use the component video inputs in conjunction with the optical audio input? I have an older xbox 360, with no hdmi, so I'd like to be able to use its existing component cables for video, but also be able to use an optical audio cable for full surround sound. I see that the component is supposedly "assignable," but I'm not sure what exactly that means. Thanks!

Yes you can do exactly what you want.

agh8459

quality posts: 1 Private Messages agh8459

I got this same unit back in July... and despite the negative comments in the forum (as well as a few here today) I have to says I've been really happy with mine.

Setup... well that depends a lot on what you're connecting. Every source I wanted to add was HDMI; there are two PC's, an XBox 360, and a Blu-Ray player in my setup at the moment. Connecting it up, it replaced a 15 year old Harmon Kardon setup. As a result, there were no new speaker runs or anything; I just hooked up the ones I had. Yes, the Onkyo is capable of 7.2, but I have it set up for 5.1. Anyway, once it was cabled in; no problems. It powered right on, and I used the included microphone to set up the optimum sound balance.

Now performance. This thing sounds beautiful. The HK it replaced was fabulous for very warm sound, but did lack a little at the top end. Well, even with the same HK speakers, this unit found those missing highs. Tuning the sub has been a bit of a chore because the output seems quite different in the Onkyo... but given the age of it I might replace it anyway. Output from any HDMI digital sources is very clean with just the right amount of warmth.

As for the extra features... well I have used the 'Net features a lot especially Pandora. Especially when having a dinner party or something it's nice to have some music going quietly in the background... Pandora's perfect for that. Being able to control it with an app on my smartphone is freaking awesome BTW... likes, dislikes, skips... and changing source if I so desire.

The Bluetooth is not the greatest though. BT audio is rarely fantastic, but I get a lot of choppiness even when my Macbook Pro is sitting 5 feet away running BT audio through the Onkyo. Better to use DLNA over the WiFi for playback.

Now, how will the longevity be? Well, this has been what... six weeks? So far so good. I have not had any trouble with blinking, sound dropouts or "the hum". The only sound dropouts I've had are actually a bug with one of the two PC's I have that output sound via HDMI. A simple reboot of the computer fixes that.

For the price, this really is a fantastic unit. Granted I'm coming from positively stoneage technology but I have been incredibly impressed both with the feature set and the sound output. While it's a little odd at first when you have the surround processor dialed in properly with the microphone for tuning... you quickly become accustomed to it.

Also, for $329? I'd say pull the trigger. It's a great value at this price, and check around online; the repairs to the HDMI if it happens to fail are cheap, quick and easy. I've saved a few links just in case... but hopefully I won't need them.

baldbear

suicidebree wrote:Am i able to control this from my ipad trough wifi or does it have to be bluetooth? My backyard is not close to where this would be set up. Thanks for the help!

Wifi control only.

davearnold731

quality posts: 0 Private Messages davearnold731

To the guy who cannot find any receiver with an S-video connection. Ummm. Because S-video is obsolete and has a horrible video display. Upgrade and destroy whatever old piece of crap still only has an S-video connection. The last car you bought, tell me did it come with a hand crank to start the engine?

David D Arnold

ecsales

quality posts: 3 Private Messages ecsales

ONKYO Rocks(for the price). I have friends still rocking to some old ass Onkyos. My 6yrs old HT-R520 that I got for like $499 w/5 speakers and a separate sub is going strong.

Main complaint with mine is how hot it runs.

Is heat still a problem?

Resistance is WOOTILE!

baldbear

ecsales wrote:ONKYO Rocks(for the price). I have friends still rocking to some old ass Onkyos. My 6yrs old HT-R520 that I got for like $499 w/5 speakers and a separate sub is going strong.

Main complaint with mine is how hot it runs.

It is not as hot as my old Onkyo, plus it has a fan inside it (which I've never heard turn on) I think it's just in case it ever got hot. Plus it's shorter than the last one I owned so the cables in the back have room!
Is heat still a problem?