Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

lichme

quality posts: 3191 Private Messages lichme

Tons of 5 star reviews on Home Depot
More details, review, and video from Black And Decker

Proudly tracking via WootStalker.com
Woot Tracker | Woot Plus Tracker | Droid App | Chat | Contests | T-Shirt Trade | Derby Stats

Warning: Too much awesome to be contained in such a small space

lichme

quality posts: 3191 Private Messages lichme

Item: Black +%26 Decker Matrix Drill +%26 Router Kit
Price: $79.99
Shipping Options: $5 Standard OR $10 Two-Day OR $15 One-Day
Condition: New

Search Amazon Search Google

Proudly tracking via WootStalker.com
Woot Tracker | Woot Plus Tracker | Droid App | Chat | Contests | T-Shirt Trade | Derby Stats

Warning: Too much awesome to be contained in such a small space

haydesigner

quality posts: 15 Private Messages haydesigner
lichme wrote:Tons of 5 star reviews on Home Depot
More details, review, and video from Black And Decker

isn't that Home Depot link for the "Drill and Impact," not the "Drill and Router"?

darks1lenc3

quality posts: 4 Private Messages darks1lenc3

Bought this drill (not the impact wrench combo) from Home Depot earlier this year to help with construction on my college senior engineering design project because we kept getting tied down with the corded drill (pun intended haha). I believe I paid $59.99 +tax for it.

The battery lasted about 3 days with heavy usage, it probably lasts longer with moderate/occasional usage. Doesn't take too long to charge either. The torque setting is great so you don't strip screws. The drill will also just stop when the battery is too low, it doesn't slow down before finally stopping, so you don't really get a warning before it's going to stop working and you have to charge it.

I've used the Ryobi ONE+ system in the past as well during high school and I think this B&D Matrix system is awesome, and just as good, if not better. I plan on getting some of the other attachments as well (jigsaw, circular saw, sander) sometime in the future.

backpack of crap 12/20/13
bag of crap 2/17/14
Birthday of Celebrations 7/11/14

rwfu666

quality posts: 1 Private Messages rwfu666

Just want to note that I was considering this vs the B&D dedicated 12v drill and ended up choosing the 12v drill because the matrix is single speed and the 12v lithium is dual. So far I've been satisfied with B&D power tools for light home work. Haven't used them for anything fancy.

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3920 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

Let's learn all about the warrantly

tim74

quality posts: 3 Private Messages tim74

I bought the 20v drill at the beginning of summer. I haven't tried any accessories yet. I'm waiting for better pricing. Mine didn't come with the fast charger so it takes some time to charge up. But run time is pretty good.

The trigger is my biggest complaint as it's too hard to get a slow rotation especially since it's single speed. You try to give a screw one last touch and the thing torques the sucker further than you wanted.

The build of the shell is nice. I also recently came into a cheap 18v DeWalt combo set drill/impact and I was surprised how lousy the shell mold was since it has lots of mismatched sharp edges where it comes together. I guess it's DeWalt basic version as it's not one I ever see on display. But the drive unit and trigger are of better quality than my B&D.

conanthelibrarian

One person at lowes.com loves this drill!

conanthelibrarian

Let's check out the product page for the router attachment

synensis

quality posts: 1 Private Messages synensis

I bought this drill from Home Depot last year when it was released. I have to say it's one of my favorite drills I have purchased so far. I also bought a jigsaw attachment, which has been very handy for small projects around the house. Great drill for the price. You can't beat the warranty either, B & D takes care of their Customers. See Below.

Story: I purchased a 12v lithium drill for my father on his Birthday (not Matrix), battery wouldn't hold charge after 8 months. B & D sent him 2 new batteries in the mail in a couple of days, and extended the warranty to cover the new batteries for another year.

mattryan

quality posts: 42 Private Messages mattryan

Not having used this specific drill, I have however used many B&D tools in the past. If something breaks, good luck getting them to do anything for you. It will always come back as you (the user) having done something to void the warranty. Their tools are designed to fail.

That said, my grandfather has B&D tools from ages ago that work wonderfully. They have just falled from where they used to be.

If you want quality, go with Ryobi.

lorenzodemedici

quality posts: 39 Private Messages lorenzodemedici

This looks to be better made than the budget B&D drills. If you don't already own these individual tools, this would be a really nice and useful combination set for light to medium duty use. Great price compared to a couple hundred for three individual tools. The photo of the dude wearing a mask just to rout a little edge on a board is pretty funny. Do you wear a mask to drill a hole in a board?

acanarelli

quality posts: 271 Private Messages acanarelli

Has anyone ever used the router attachment on hard wood? Most of the routers I own have max rpm's up to 10 times that of this one. I can't imagine a router with only 800 maximum rpm's making a clean cut on any hardwood. Maybe a soft wood like pine, but hardwoods like maple, oak and cherry is the real test.

daneyuleb

quality posts: 3 Private Messages daneyuleb
mattryan wrote:Their tools are designed to fail.

That said, my grandfather has B&D tools from ages ago that work wonderfully. They have just falled from where they used to be.

Have to agree. Years and years ago, B&D was a dependable brand, but now--junk. I've been burned by them too many times--various power tools, weed eater, coffee maker (Oh, God, the coffee maker!), leaf blower, etc.

There's only one brand I WILL not buy. Ever. In the days when we needed to save money, we bought B&D because they were often the cheapest. Going that route with other brands meant you lost some features, or it might not be the sturdiest build but it did the basic job. With B&D, more often then not, it failed within days. You don't really notice the pattern buying stuff over the years, but I finally got wise and counted up the stuff with their logo on it I'd bought that either failed or didn't function correctly. And I enacted the only buying rule in my household:

If it's orange and black, put it back.

jmackinac

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jmackinac
tim74 wrote:...The trigger is my biggest complaint as it's too hard to get a slow rotation especially since it's single speed. You try to give a screw one last touch and the thing torques the sucker further than you wanted...

To all reviewers out there, pay attention to this. THIS is useful information...the little nuances about a drill that really makes it significantly different from what one is used to with all other battery drills they've used. If I can't have control over that last two or three pulses to finely sink the screw to exactly where I want it, that's a deal breaker for me.

entraine

quality posts: 2 Private Messages entraine
acanarelli wrote:Has anyone ever used the router attachment on hard wood? Most of the routers I own have max rpm's up to 10 times that of this one. I can't imagine a router with only 800 maximum rpm's making a clean cut on any hardwood. Maybe a soft wood like pine, but hardwoods like maple, oak and cherry is the real test.

Same question I have. I would expect this thing to fail miserably as a router for most any purpose. Even if there's a gear-reduction in the router module, you're going to gain speed but lose torque, so again I wouldn't expect performance to be adequate at all. But then again, a decent trim router is ~$100 and we're talking $80 for a multi-purpose drill. I wouldn't expect it to do anything particularly well.

thecorrectline

quality posts: 0 Private Messages thecorrectline
acanarelli wrote:Has anyone ever used the router attachment on hard wood? Most of the routers I own have max rpm's up to 10 times that of this one. I can't imagine a router with only 800 maximum rpm's making a clean cut on any hardwood. Maybe a soft wood like pine, but hardwoods like maple, oak and cherry is the real test.

Came to ask much the same question - how have owners found the router to be? Routers can be *extremely* touchy tools. Tiny amounts of tool chatter, runout, or deflection can adversely (and very noticeably) affect any job you need a router for.

zgrav

quality posts: 1 Private Messages zgrav

this is from the specs page linked above for the router attachment:

Variable Speed allows for precision performance thats right for each job
RPM (12v Max = 0-6800, 20v Max = 0-9000 and AC 4A = 0-7300)

Looks like about a 10 to 1 gearing. As noted above, that comes with a trade-off in torque but I would not expect to put the kinds of torque on a router that would be used to drive in a lag bolt.

Zgrav

luke975

quality posts: 14 Private Messages luke975

this is probably a good deal for everything you're getting here, but I really wouldn't use the router that much. and the drill is $65 on amazon shipping prime. better deal for me.

to the woot staff member that screwed up the back2skool code so I could get a lot of nice things for free - thank you.

mrln

quality posts: 3 Private Messages mrln
haydesigner wrote:isn't that Home Depot link for the "Drill and Impact," not the "Drill and Router"?

Not sure why that is a problem. Woot is selling the drill and impact, plus the router attachment.

luke975 wrote:this is probably a good deal for everything you're getting here, but I really wouldn't use the router that much. and the drill is $65 on amazon shipping prime. better deal for me.

Not unless you like to overpay. Amazon has the drill alone for $65. The drill with the impact attachment is $99. (Or another $35 for the impact attachment alone available separately.)

Woot's offer includes the drill attachment, impact attachment, and router attachment. This is noted in the title on the product page, the first picture, the 2nd picture is the combo impact and drill kit with following pictures of the router part. It's noted in the description, and in the specs, including in the box where each is listed.

There are 3 attachments, not 1 or 2. The router has a flat face. The drill has a silver tip. The impact has a black tip. This package on Amazon at current prices is about $139 shipped (router attachment is ~$40).

Also, there appears to be at least 3 additional attachments you can buy in addition to the 3 included--a sander, trim saw, or oscillating tool attachment. Search "black decker matrix" on the mothership.

luke975

quality posts: 14 Private Messages luke975
mrln wrote:Not unless you like to overpay. Amazon has the drill alone for $65. The drill with the impact attachment is $99. (Or another $35 for the impact attachment alone available separately.)

Woot's offer includes the drill attachment, impact attachment, and router attachment. This is noted in the title on the product page, the first picture, the 2nd picture is the combo impact and drill kit with following pictures of the router part. It's noted in the description, and in the specs, including in the box where each is listed.

There are 3 attachments, not 1 or 2. The router has a flat face. The drill has a silver tip. The impact has a black tip. This package on Amazon at current prices is about $139 shipped (router attachment is ~$40).

Also, there appears to be at least 3 additional attachments you can buy in addition to the 3 included--a sander, trim saw, or oscillating tool attachment. Search "black decker matrix" on the mothership.

did you even read my post? I said this is a good deal for everything you're getting here but that I wouldn't really use the router, so I would pay $85 on here with shipping when the drill alone, again, which is what I would buy this for, is $65 on amazon. ok so this includes the impact driver. another item I won't use. like i said a good deal for what you get here.

but thanks, I like to repeat myself.

to the woot staff member that screwed up the back2skool code so I could get a lot of nice things for free - thank you.

jaymanmsu

quality posts: 9 Private Messages jaymanmsu

This router doesn't support IPv6. No thanks.

PocketBrain

quality posts: 47 Private Messages PocketBrain
conanthelibrarian wrote:Let's learn all about the warrantly

Is a warrantly anything like a Warranty?

I got the drill and the Sears Bolt-On (compatible and $5 less per tool) jigsaw, sander, and router bits. I haven't used the router yet, but the other pieces work quite well. The whole kit takes up little space, and is light. I like having a single power source, as well. I got a blower and hedge trimmer that works on the 20V MAX batteries. Three batteries, two chargers. Good setup. :-)

jaymanmsu wrote:This router doesn't support IPv6. No thanks.

ROFL

LostJulyMusic

quality posts: 3 Private Messages LostJulyMusic
haydesigner wrote:isn't that Home Depot link for the "Drill and Impact," not the "Drill and Router"?

Pay no attention to his links, they never work...and yet he is still allowed to post them. Every. Single. Day.

I can't imagine using this as a router either. Not only for the low RPMs as already mentioned, but the handle being on the one side just seems like it would move at an angle. The concept is nice (having multiple attachments for one tool) but I'm curious to know about it's functionality.

arpruss

quality posts: 3 Private Messages arpruss
acanarelli wrote:Has anyone ever used the router attachment on hard wood? Most of the routers I own have max rpm's up to 10 times that of this one. I can't imagine a router with only 800 maximum rpm's making a clean cut on any hardwood.

The web page for the router attachment says it goes up to 9000 RPM. I don't know how much torque it will put out, though.

Still, if you go 1/16" deep at a time, you should presumably be able to cut through tough stuff.

Costner

quality posts: 27 Private Messages Costner

For those worrying about the router, keep in mind this is not intended to replace (or even compete with) a full size router.

My DeWalt router has a variable speed of between 16,000 and 27,000 rpm and the motor is three to four times larger than the motor found in this B&D Matrix unit so I wouldn't expect this to compare.

What the B&D is intended to be used for is light work much like a laminate or trim router. You could use it to trim veneers, recess some small hinges, or put a small decorative edge on a board... but if you need to remove a lot of material this isn't what you want.

That being said, B&D is homeowner quality and isn't something you would ever find in the truck or toolbox of a pro. Frankly I wouldn't even put them at the level of a serious DIYer, so they are really for the person who has a small toolbox at the house and who is looking for his or her first drill. They probably will use the impact attachment from time to time when driving a screw, and they might use the router attachment once every year or two if they need to trim something small... but this likely would not hold up to hard use.

This is also made in China if that sways your view at all.

I own several DeWalt drills (two 12V, one 14.4V, and one corded) and I have also owned an 18V Skil and a 18V B&D. The 12V DeWalt was far superior and had far more power than the higher voltage B&D drill... and the batteries lasted much longer as well. In fact, the B&D feels hollow when picking it up - which tells me the motor and battery are of lesser quality and not designed to last... which in my experience they don't.

I'll be honest, I wouldn't buy another B&D drill, but for a first time purchaser just looking for something for light duty this might be ok.

RogerB

quality posts: 4 Private Messages RogerB
daneyuleb wrote:I've been burned by them too many times--various power tools, weed eater, coffee maker (Oh, God, the coffee maker!), leaf blower, etc.

I am going to have to disagree with the coffee maker. I have a B&D Brew and Go. Bought a second for work. Very nice little coffee maker that simply turns itself off when done. I've given up on Mr. Coffee coffee makers. The ones with the timers get in a mode will they will no longer turn on, period. Sorry for hijacking the tread.

fgarriel

quality posts: 22 Private Messages fgarriel

Just buy a corded router. You'll screw up the whole piece you're working on if there's not enough juice to get through the pass.

whitcwa

quality posts: 12 Private Messages whitcwa

Unless you really need cordless tools, buy corded tools. The performance and reliability are far greater.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 617 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

WLAURENT

quality posts: 7 Private Messages WLAURENT

I have owned many different brands of cordless tools (Hitachi, DeWalt, Milwaukee, B&D, Craftsman, etc..) and ended up sticking with Ryobi.

Yeah the Ryobi tools may not be of the same quality as the higher end units. But the one thing that they do very well is they all use the same battery and Ryobi One+ concept indicates that they always will. The new Lithium batteries are very good - though some of the ones we got a couple years ago died very early and had to be returned.

So along with all of the tools using the same battery the other thing is cost. Regardless of brand, I never had a drill or impact driver die from over-use or being burnt up. The most common cause of death is from one of my technicians dropping one 12 feet from a ladder onto a concrete floor. Much easier to stomach buying a $60 impact driver or drill than a $150-200 one.

I do purchase the Milwaukee M12 drill and driver kits for those tight hard to get into jobs.

y2ed

quality posts: 0 Private Messages y2ed

I have the cordless and corded version of this tool. Actually broke it last weekend doing some intensive drilling into stone. The powerdrill attachment actually melted from the heat and snapped in half at the numbering (I was going at it for at least 30 mins of almost nonstop drilling). Gotta see if I can get it replaced. The corded version has more power than the cordless one i find but if you’re not doing anything crazy the cordless should be good I would def get a 2nd battery if going cordless. I used the sanding attachment which works well and the impact attachment.

gak0090

quality posts: 86 Private Messages gak0090

Nice!

kothetimeless

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kothetimeless

I bought the B&D Matrix system about a month ago from Home Depot.. I have to say it's been a dream.

I have also bought the Jigsaw, Detail Sander, Hand Saw and the Impact Driver.

Not a fan of the impact driver, I get most all work done with the regular drill with right bits.

The hand saw is great but at times hard to keep the cut straight, that just may be my inexperience as well. I've been able to fine tune cuts with the Jigsaw, but am excited to buy the Router for that same reason.

rawkawn

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rawkawn

You just have to drill a 6:4 tunnel

acanarelli

Costner wrote:For those worrying about the router, keep in mind this is not intended to replace (or even compete with) a full size router.

My DeWalt router has a variable speed of between 16,000 and 27,000 rpm and the motor is three to four times larger than the motor found in this B&D Matrix unit so I wouldn't expect this to compare.

What the B&D is intended to be used for is light work much like a laminate or trim router. You could use it to trim veneers, recess some small hinges, or put a small decorative edge on a board... but if you need to remove a lot of material this isn't what you want.

That being said, B&D is homeowner quality and isn't something you would ever find in the truck or toolbox of a pro. Frankly I wouldn't even put them at the level of a serious DIYer, so they are really for the person who has a small toolbox at the house and who is looking for his or her first drill. They probably will use the impact attachment from time to time when driving a screw, and they might use the router attachment once every year or two if they need to trim something small... but this likely would not hold up to hard use.

This is also made in China if that sways your view at all.

I own several DeWalt drills (two 12V, one 14.4V, and one corded) and I have also owned an 18V Skil and a 18V B&D. The 12V DeWalt was far superior and had far more power than the higher voltage B&D drill... and the batteries lasted much longer as well. In fact, the B&D feels hollow when picking it up - which tells me the motor and battery are of lesser quality and not designed to last... which in my experience they don't.

I'll be honest, I wouldn't buy another B&D drill, but for a first time purchaser just looking for something for light duty this might be ok.

You wrote,"For those worrying about the router, keep in mind this is not intended to replace (or even compete with) a full size router." Oh thanks, you put my mind at ease...but where does it say that? Where does it say that it's not intended to replace or even compete with a full size router.

By the way, made in China does not necessarily mean that the product is no good. Years ago China started to compete in the field of optics. Today the optics industry in China is a leader. Frequently Chinese optics are trend setting and innovative.

acanarelli

arpruss wrote:The web page for the router attachment says it goes up to 9000 RPM. I don't know how much torque it will put out, though.

Still, if you go 1/16" deep at a time, you should presumably be able to cut through tough stuff.

If you need to make one pass for every 1/16", you will be making 8 or more passes for each cut. That's a lot of extra time! May as well buy and use a dedicated router.

inspgdet

quality posts: 0 Private Messages inspgdet
rawkawn wrote:You just have to drill a 6:4 tunnel

^^ Lol awesome.

acanarelli

zgrav wrote:this is from the specs page linked above for the router attachment:

Variable Speed allows for precision performance thats right for each job
RPM (12v Max = 0-6800, 20v Max = 0-9000 and AC 4A = 0-7300)

Looks like about a 10 to 1 gearing. As noted above, that comes with a trade-off in torque but I would not expect to put the kinds of torque on a router that would be used to drive in a lag bolt.

You're quoting specs from a battery operated unit. The one we are talking about here today is NOT battery operated but corded.