Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

lichme

quality posts: 2656 Private Messages lichme

Here what people are saying about this over at the Product Page

Surfal

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Surfal

This is the tablet both I and my wife have and we both love it. Availability of alternate builds makes tinkering-me happy and vast availability of games to play addicts my wife. Add in books, movies and video (2560x1600, even better resolution that my $500 monitor at work!!!), easy browsing, etc, etc.

We're happy. If I had the money I'd buy one just as a backup.

luke975

quality posts: 13 Private Messages luke975

$50 more last week? that shouldn't upset anyone.

[MOD: Refurbished (last week) vs Factory Reconditioned (this)]

I always did like yardsales.

morriea

quality posts: 19 Private Messages morriea

I posted this on Deals

http://deals.woot.com/deals/details/4f80deef-be69-48cb-8527-8a15dec98ee9/google-nexus-10-32gb#0

Same item, NEW (not refurbished) for $20 more. 1-year warranty included and Free Shipping.

mustbechris

quality posts: 8 Private Messages mustbechris

They're starting to pop up on Ebay at similar prices, though infrequently. $360-380 still seems to be the average range. I'd jump on this without thinking twice if I was in the market for a tablet. I have a Nexus 7 and I'm quite happy with it, so I probably won't be making a tablet purchase for a minute.

breaddrink

quality posts: 19 Private Messages breaddrink

I own this one.
This situation is a rare example of where an upgraded version is about to be released and I'm not even slightly tempted to purchase (the second gen nexus tabs). This one is still easily enough.
This thing is lightning fast and the display is utterly ridiculously sharp.

I'd buy it again.
The only down side is a very surprising lack of accessories from Google. There's almost nothing available other than the pogo cable for faster charging (you will need this).

Venardhi

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Venardhi

This is a great tablet with an absolutely fantastic screen. At this price it is kind of a no brainer if you need something in your hands ASAP. However, prospective Nexus owners should keep in mind that a refresh is likely to come just about any day now and it may be worth holding out if you aren't in particular need of a tablet just now.

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3119 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

Staples.com calls this "perfect"

and great reviews (4.6 out of 5.0) over at walmart.com

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3119 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

Let's check out a video

collinvh

quality posts: 57 Private Messages collinvh

Loud wallpaper included.

shaver

quality posts: 3 Private Messages shaver

I bought this from here awhile back and wish I had bought it new. Not because The one I bought was in any way bad, or defective but because it was so freaking awesome! You will not be upset with this purchase.

-Chad

kingoflos

quality posts: 6 Private Messages kingoflos

Just a warning, but chances are a new Nexus 10 tablet will be coming out TODAY. They may just introduce the phone and leave it at that, but chances are.....

edj90j

quality posts: 0 Private Messages edj90j
morriea wrote:I posted this on Deals

http://deals.woot.com/deals/details/4f80deef-be69-48cb-8527-8a15dec98ee9/google-nexus-10-32gb#0

Same item, NEW (not refurbished) for $20 more. 1-year warranty included and Free Shipping.

Yes! I just ordered this! No tax either, while here on woot total would be around $360 after tax + shipping. Just food for thought, Sorry Woot, beat ebay.

sflesch

quality posts: 4 Private Messages sflesch

$15 more for a new one from ebay (not even counting taxes) wins it for me any day. Now...does anyone have $400 I could borrow?!

Why is it that everytime I click I want one", Woot makes me buy it? Don't they ever just want to know that, "Yes, I want one?" http://www.sflesch.com

bluemaple

quality posts: 66 Private Messages bluemaple
luke975 wrote:$50 more last week? that shouldn't upset anyone.

@luke975, the $50 lower price could be due to the new one being closer to coming out... or perhaps Woot values a Samsung 90-day warranty (past Woots for this) $50 higher than a Woot 90-day warranty (today's Woot).

If intended, a clever way to discount it further whilst having an explanation for the prior Wooters.

(Thanks for the historical links, @lichme!)

luke975

quality posts: 13 Private Messages luke975
bluemaple wrote:@luke975, the $50 lower price could be due to the new one being closer to coming out... or perhaps Woot values a Samsung 90-day warranty (past Woots for this) $50 higher than a Woot 90-day warranty (today's Woot).

If intended, a clever way to discount it further whilst having an explanation for the prior Wooters.

(Thanks for the historical links, @lichme!)

Thanks, I didn't consider the warranty differences.
the fact the new ones closer to coming out doesn't make sense to me as the last one that sold for more was last week, if it would have been a couple months or so, sure that would make sense.

I always did like yardsales.

bluemaple

quality posts: 66 Private Messages bluemaple
morriea wrote:I posted this on Deals

+ And that eBay seller has a 99.3% rating for over 23,000 reviews.

+ Free shipping makes the New unit on eBay only $15 more vs. Woot's refurb with Woot warranty.

But you have to wonder about their claim it is 50% off - did anyone ever really pay $700 for one of these?

srees

quality posts: 9 Private Messages srees

I will never buy an Android device again.

I got my first Android tablet for one of the kids a couple months ago.

A lack of ability to restrict what the kids have access to, and - most of all - ads everywhere.

Frequent, irritating, inconvenient, and potentially inappropriate ads. When you most need there to be no ad at all. On a device you PAID for. Screw Android. I hope it rots in hell.

Yeah, iOS 7 sucks too - just not nearly as bad. Maybe I'll have to try a Winblows one soon...

How can something be better than nothing if nothing is perfect?

I can haz badgez finally after 12 Bungled Original Communicator

bethmeacham

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bethmeacham
srees wrote:I will never buy an Android device again.

A lack of ability to restrict what the kids have access to, and - most of all - ads everywhere.

Install Ad Block for Android. It blocks 100% of ads on my tablet, even on facebook.

alose

quality posts: 2 Private Messages alose

Frequent, irritating, inconvenient, and potentially inappropriate ads. When you most need there to be no ad at all. On a device you PAID for. Screw Android. I hope it rots in hell.

Yeah, iOS 7 sucks too - just not nearly as bad. Maybe I'll have to try a Winblows one soon...

You were dumb not to research your device first. The ads are because you are using free apps. Why do you think they are free? to shove ads at you.

Android 3 lets you put a few restrictions, but you should have researched first and gotten a nabi, kurio, kindle, or a nook. These let restrict the hours in which you can use the device or some even restrict the hours some apps can run.

davidnashsjn

quality posts: 0 Private Messages davidnashsjn

Not a bad deal, but a much better *bargain* would be the Nook HD+ for around $120 on eBay. 9" tablet with high-res screen, external micro sd slot. Add Cyanogenmod 10.1 (Jelly Bean 4.2.2) and you have a lot of bang for the buck!

bsmith1

quality posts: 102 Private Messages bsmith1

As others have said, those ads are the result of apps you (or your kid) put on there. Not the fault of the Android OS.
Android 4.3 (which this nexus will upgrade to) has a Restricted Profile feature where you can set up a profile for your kid and limit what they can access. See more info here: http://www.androidcentral.com/how-use-android-43-s-restricted-profile-feature

Edit: I also encourage you to install the "Lookout AD Network Detector" app. It'll show you which apps are causing pop-up type ads.
Finally, install "Lookout Security and Antivirus" This will scan apps you install to make sure they're safe. These are both free, but just know that they will advertise their "premium" versions that you have to pay for. Most users don't need the premium features, so ignore those.

billthegunowner

quality posts: 12 Private Messages billthegunowner

Oh Snap!!! It doesn't have a separate keyboard.

Bill

bsmith1

billthegunowner wrote:Oh Snap!!! It doesn't have a separate keyboard.

Most any bluetooth keyboard will work.

willyone

quality posts: 25 Private Messages willyone

Don't cut off your nose to spite your face. Don't know what that means but it sounded appropriate. Android's versatility is worth paying the few bucks for premium versions of apps to get the ad-free versions. That versatility includes access to numerous existing apps and many new apps arriving daily, incl. parental control apps. The plethura (don't know what that means either) of app developers is the closest thing to an open architecture system avail. today. There are so many excellent educational apps for urchins of all ages that it's a shame for you to cut off your nose ... well, you know. Though these truisms come with one caveat of course, nothing should be given to a child that doesn't include total parental involvement and commitment to their well being.

akmiller100

quality posts: 1 Private Messages akmiller100

Does it tether well to Verizon?

moondrake

quality posts: 1 Private Messages moondrake

[quote postid="5593849" user="willyone"]Don't cut off your nose to spite your face. Don't know what that means but it sounded appropriate.

An illustrative example: The local disabled community was angry that City Council voted to reduce the requirement for accessible units in new construction from 10% to 8%, because developers said they couldn't move the accessible units. The disabled community threatened to "cut off their nose to spite their face" by lobbying HUD to cut off all funding for services to the disabled in protest.

I am in the market for a new tablet but I was hoping there would be some good offers on BF. I am going to be unhappy if I pass on this and then don't find a good deal later.

editorkid

quality posts: 91 Private Messages editorkid

Get an AdTrap. It's a little box that goes between your cable modem and your router and filters out URLs that go to ad-serving sites. It isn't perfect but it works. www.getadtrap.com (just a customer, not benefiting from mentioning it.)

willyone

moondrake wrote:[quote postid="5593849" user="willyone"]Don't cut off your nose to spite your face. Don't know what that means but it sounded appropriate.

An illustrative example: The local disabled community was angry that City Council voted to reduce the requirement for accessible units in new construction from 10% to 8%, because developers said they couldn't move the accessible units. The disabled community threatened to "cut off their nose to spite their face" by lobbying HUD to cut off all funding for services to the disabled in protest.

I am in the market for a new tablet but I was hoping there would be some good offers on BF. I am going to be unhappy if I pass on this and then don't find a good deal later.

Thanks moondrake! Your a gentleman and a scholar. Maybe your neither, how would I know. Thanks the same.

sleddy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sleddy

I suggest looking at the Nook HD+. B&N recently opened it up to Google Play and it it $150 including a $20 gift card. 9in screen plus micro SD. Just no camera. I love mine.

Goosedude

quality posts: 9 Private Messages Goosedude

Someone it seems didn't bother to even attempt to learn how to create different user profiles or implement any type of parental restriction on their devices.

You sir....if you are so worried about your kids viewing objectionable material need a KINDLE FIRE....which is also an ANDROID device.

-------------
WOOT! WOOOOT!!

bsmith1

Goosedude wrote:Someone it seems didn't bother to even attempt to learn how to create different user profiles or implement any type of parental restriction on their devices.

You sir....if you are so worried about your kids viewing objectionable material need a KINDLE FIRE....which is also an ANDROID device.

Sorta like saying, "My kid did an Internet search on their tablet and it came up with lots of ads and adult content. I'm never buying an internet-enabled device again!"

Ordeith

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Ordeith

This for $30 more than the better selling and more capable Surface RT that you can get refurbished for $299?

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/pdp/Surface-Refurbished/productID.275706600

Yes, the Surface did outsell the Nexus 10. Sorry.

willyone

Simply expressing another consideration for those trying to garner info. on tablet options. I've had an Acer A1-810 for 6 mos. selling at $179 new, running jelly bean 4.2.2, sporting a 7.9" sceen (same as Apple mini) and believe me when I say I was totally surprised at how much more screen real estate that extra .9" provides over the 7" tablets. Two cameras, HDMI out that I use constantly to hook to my big screen, expandable SD storage, Bluetooth, GPS, Quad core processor, WI-FI (of course). This tablet is just the perfect tablet for me, can be used one handed but large enough for watching TV, movies and playing games w/on-screen controls, etc. Sorry, got carried away. It,s just that this tablet is such a large part of my life, both living it and managing it, that every time I review other tablets I'm always thankful I found this one. No, I don't work for Acer, but I just never seem to see this hidden gem included in tablet talk. Certainly don't mean to demean or insult other viewpoints in any way.

gak0090

quality posts: 76 Private Messages gak0090
Ordeith wrote:This for $30 more than the better selling and more capable Surface RT that you can get refurbished for $299?

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/pdp/Surface-Refurbished/productID.275706600

Yes, the Surface did outsell the Nexus 10. Sorry.

Surface RT 1366x768 10.6" screen, pixel density 148

Nexus 10 2560x1600 10.1" screen, pixel density 300

Display-wise the Nexus 10 is light years ahead. Google play has not only way more,but much better apps, games etc than the Microsoft store. The only advantage the Surface RT has is in terms of running Office related programs. There is NO other advantage that the RT has over this device. Until the RT OS can run X86 programs it will never be a formidable opponent against Android.

If you want to make comparisons- compare the amount of tablets sold running the Microsoft RT operating system vs the amount of tablets running the Android operating system.

gak0090

quality posts: 76 Private Messages gak0090

This is a great tablet. The only issue I have with the Nexus 10 is that aesthetically is looks cheap. Considering the internals, they could have prettied it up a bit.

Ordeith

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Ordeith
gak0090 wrote:Surface RT 1366x768 10.6" screen, pixel density 148

Nexus 10 2560x1600 10.1" screen, pixel density 300

Display-wise the Nexus 10 is light years ahead. Google play has not only way more,but much better apps, games etc than the Microsoft store. The only advantage the Surface RT has is in terms of running Office related programs. There is NO other advantage that the RT has over this device. Until the RT OS can run X86 programs it will never be a formidable opponent against Android.

If you want to make comparisons- compare the amount of tablets sold running the Microsoft RT operating system vs the amount of tablets running the Android operating system.

Get back to me when I can dock an Android tablet and spread its workspace out across multiple monitors while seamlessly connecting to CIFS shares and using SMB shared printers on a LAN.

The Surface display also has more going for it than an almost unnoticeable ppi difference on a 10" screen. You should try one sometime.

No complaints about apps, either, they are coming fast. WMW2 was even available before it hit Android.

elleyea

quality posts: 0 Private Messages elleyea

I already have one, so I will not be buying one today. However after a bit of research before I purchased a tablet, it's pretty easy to confirm that this is the best Android tablet on the market despite the lack of advertisement. Get the 32gig one, the 16 is too small (as I found out unfortunately). Great deal. Factory reconditioned products are generally fine and easier on the environment (no using new resources to create new ones.)