quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Poll: Do you believe in the afterlife?
  • 45.7% - Of course! Don't you? 1421
  • 27.7% - Of course not. It's nonsense. 861
  • 24.5% - I'm just not sure. 761
  • 2.1% - Something else (comments, please) 65
3108 votes

Well, how do you fare compared to the Zeitgeist? Chat up your fellow wooters and let us know how lame this poll was or what obvious choices we missed. For example: Was this poll a) STUPID, b) DUMB, c) POINTLESS or d) ALL OF THE ABOVE?

Shinespark

quality posts: 32 Private Messages Shinespark

I'm mainly curious as to who responded to "other" when given the options of yes, no or maybe.

manhandsha

quality posts: 34 Private Messages manhandsha

Staff

Is that relevant if you live forever?

Have a question about your order or account? Click here to contact Woot Member Services.

ardubu

quality posts: 8 Private Messages ardubu

Are you assuming we are all humans?

If you want, you pay...
But, if you need, you pay more!

Boxymoron

quality posts: 4 Private Messages Boxymoron

It's hard to define the box, and what's outside it, while measuring from inside with no light and around obstacles.

mjhuntley25

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mjhuntley25

I'd like to believe in an afterlife, it's a nice thought, but I just don't think that there is one.

paulpnevada

quality posts: 26 Private Messages paulpnevada

I believe that whatever the truth is, that it exists totally independent of our beliefs. What we believe is totally irrelevant to what the truth actually is.

So we should all stop fighting about who's invisible friend is real.

butz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages butz

I'm not sure, but I try to always wear clean underwear just in case.

CyborgBill

quality posts: 1 Private Messages CyborgBill

I personally believe (and, OK, devoutly hope) that when the physical processes of my body fail beyond a certain level of organization my consciousness along with all the various software-type processes normally occurring in my brain will cease -IRREVOCABLY AND PERMANENTLY!! We are temporal beings and I believe that no deity could be called "benevolent" which would curse its creatures with such a monstrous burden as eternal life. I do not fear such an eventuality. Instead, I would welcome it.

mexz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mexz

Something else. I believe in reincarnation.

crankydevon

quality posts: 0 Private Messages crankydevon

Like Mexz, I believe in some kind of reincarnation. I think we're always human, but of course there's no way to know. I'd say I believe it about 80%.

bpfordte

quality posts: 1 Private Messages bpfordte

Heaven or hell - pretty simple.

theco2

quality posts: 62 Private Messages theco2

There is a 100% death rate, in every generation; the mortality rate is extremely high.
The End.

rayzmail

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rayzmail

WOOT! IS heaven.

gwal01

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gwal01

Not that I spend a lot of time thinking about this but if there is life after death and considering the billions that have left the planet before today and the potential billions if not trillions of deaths taking place after today wherever this afterlife takes place is going to be one crowded place (at least in my mind).

alexasnows

quality posts: 0 Private Messages alexasnows

I would really like to believe it, as it is terrifying to think I and my loved ones will cease to exist. It's such a nice thought. But it makes no sense. We die, we do not exist anymore.

RKett

quality posts: 2 Private Messages RKett
paulpnevada wrote:I believe that whatever the truth is, that it exists totally independent of our beliefs. What we believe is totally irrelevant to what the truth actually is.

So we should all stop fighting about who's invisible friend is real.

Exactly my thoughts, plus I don't want to go to heaven, I want to be with my friends.

moles1138

quality posts: 8 Private Messages moles1138
ardubu wrote:Are you assuming we are all humans?

I may not be

moles1138

quality posts: 8 Private Messages moles1138
manhandsha wrote:Is that relevant if you live forever?

So far, I am immortal. No one has proven me wrong.

hwalsh10284

quality posts: 1 Private Messages hwalsh10284

The delusion is comforting. That is what delusions are all about.

phobos718

quality posts: 0 Private Messages phobos718

Find it funny that mature adults believe in the after life.

bsmith1

quality posts: 103 Private Messages bsmith1

I feel we'll all have the answer eventually. I do not fear death. I look forward to the answers we all seek. I don't think it's just a switch and then it's like you're gone and never existed. I also don't think we'll go to a place with streets paved in gold in the clouds or a pit of eternal fire or other such silly imagery.
I think a being that has reached this level of sentience (or self awareness) will have the essence of their being transcend to some other plane or level of existence. What that will be like, I have no idea. It will be exciting to find out, though.

januarymick

quality posts: 0 Private Messages januarymick

I see no evidence to support this belief.

dks209

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dks209
"An atheist once challenged William Paley to disprove his contention that there was no Supreme Being. Very Quietly Paley took out his watch, opened the case, and said: "If i were to tell you that those levers and wheels and springs made themselves and fitted themselves together and started running on their own account, wouldn't you question my intelligence? Of course, you would. But look up at the stars. Every one of them has its perfect appointed course and motion - the earth and planets around the sun, and the whole group pitching along at more than a million miles a day. Each star is another sun with its own group of worlds, rushing on through space like our own solar system. Yet there are no collisions, no disturbances, no confusion. All quiet, efficient, and controlled. Is it easier to believe that they just happened or that someone made them so?""

'Nuff said.

bsmith1

quality posts: 103 Private Messages bsmith1
dks209 wrote:'Nuff said.

Yeah...except that you could track down the watchmaker and shake his hand. Chances are he stamped his name on the watch so there was no doubt who made it.
Also, there are plenty of collisions in space. The current movements took millions of years to balance out and, even still, things are constantly moving out of alignment. Eventually our sun will burn out and planets might work their way out of the gravitational pull and just float off... If the universe were a watch, it would become less and less accurate as time went by. This "god" is not a very skilled watchmaker.

chris0115

quality posts: 0 Private Messages chris0115
dks209 wrote:'Nuff said.

Only enough said if you know as much about the universe as a wet rock.

There are innumerable things about the watch analogy that are just stupid. The main one is that: There ARE collisions, disturbances, and confusion. They happen all the freakin' time. Solar systems smash into each other and are destroyed. Stars smash into each other and either burn out or form bigger stars. Even if they don't hit anything during their lifecycle, they eventually blow up of their own accord, instigating the fiery death of anything living in their system.

For the invisible sky-arbiter's sake, our entire GALAXY is on a collision course with another, bigger galaxy. Yes, the Milky Way and everything you see in the night sky will eventually smash into the Andromeda galaxy and become a binary-supermassive-blackhole galaxy. Everything living in either galaxy will be vaporized into space dust when the galaxies collide.

If you want to believe in invisible sky-deities, fine, but come up with a better analogy. The universe is NOTHING like a watch. It is a place of chaos and explosions and entropy. It's very birth was the epitome of chaos.

/Rant off

koshhi

quality posts: 0 Private Messages koshhi
hwalsh10284 wrote:The delusion is comforting. That is what delusions are all about.

Not necessarily.

grogg0420

quality posts: 0 Private Messages grogg0420

Next level of the game.

hot72chev

quality posts: 11 Private Messages hot72chev
bsmith1 wrote:I feel we'll all have the answer eventually. I do not fear death. I look forward to the answers we all seek. I don't think it's just a switch and then it's like you're gone and never existed. I also don't think we'll go to a place with streets paved in gold in the clouds or a pit of eternal fire or other such silly imagery.
I think a being that has reached this level of sentience (or self awareness) will have the essence of their being transcend to some other plane or level of existence. What that will be like, I have no idea. It will be exciting to find out, though.

Well said! That's pretty much exactly what I believe.

theco2

quality posts: 62 Private Messages theco2
bsmith1 wrote:Yeah...except that you could track down the watchmaker and shake his hand. Chances are he stamped his name on the watch so there was no doubt who made it.
Also, there are plenty of collisions in space. The current movements took millions of years to balance out and, even still, things are constantly moving out of alignment. Eventually our sun will burn out and planets might work their way out of the gravitational pull and just float off... If the universe were a watch, it would become less and less accurate as time went by. This "god" is not a very skilled watchmaker.
chris0115 wrote:Only enough said if you know as much about the universe as a wet rock.

There are innumerable things about the watch analogy that are just stupid. The main one is that: There ARE collisions, disturbances, and confusion. They happen all the freakin' time. Solar systems smash into each other and are destroyed. Stars smash into each other and either burn out or form bigger stars. Even if they don't hit anything during their lifecycle, they eventually blow up of their own accord, instigating the fiery death of anything living in their system.

For the invisible sky-arbiter's sake, our entire GALAXY is on a collision course with another, bigger galaxy. Yes, the Milky Way and everything you see in the night sky will eventually smash into the Andromeda galaxy and become a binary-supermassive-blackhole galaxy. Everything living in either galaxy will be vaporized into space dust when the galaxies collide.

If you want to believe in invisible sky-deities, fine, but come up with a better analogy. The universe is NOTHING like a watch. It is a place of chaos and explosions and entropy. It's very birth was the epitome of chaos.

/Rant off

'Nuff said.

Phsyron

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Phsyron

This is such an uninteresting question to me. Completely misses the point. We exist only in so much as we effect the rest of the universe. If your effects are far-reaching, you will live forever. Caesar is still just as much alive to us now as he was to anyone who only knew him by reputation at the time. Perhaps moreso. We can't change what happens to our consciousness, so get over it and worry about what you can.

tswinkler

quality posts: 1 Private Messages tswinkler
mjhuntley25 wrote:I'd like to believe in an afterlife, it's a nice thought, but I just don't think that there is one.

the evidence is there if you look. So If heaven and hell exists, where do you think you'll go?
I'm certain of mine.

Travis Winkler

tswinkler

Phsyron wrote:This is such an uninteresting question to me. Completely misses the point. We exist only in so much as we effect the rest of the universe. If your effects are far-reaching, you will live forever. Caesar is still just as much alive to us now as he was to anyone who only knew him by reputation at the time. Perhaps moreso. We can't change what happens to our consciousness, so get over it and worry about what you can.

This life is temporary, how you live does have a lasting effect, I agree. I truly believe in God and believe that Jesus saved me from hell. If Im wrong, I've got nothing to lose. If you are wrong, I'm afraid your eternity will be hot.

Travis Winkler

tswinkler

CyborgBill wrote:I personally believe (and, OK, devoutly hope) that when the physical processes of my body fail beyond a certain level of organization my consciousness along with all the various software-type processes normally occurring in my brain will cease -IRREVOCABLY AND PERMANENTLY!! We are temporal beings and I believe that no deity could be called "benevolent" which would curse its creatures with such a monstrous burden as eternal life. I do not fear such an eventuality. Instead, I would welcome it.

Please reconsider your position as it may be far from the true. Jesus is the way.

Travis Winkler

tswinkler

God is real. Jesus saved me from hell. This life is temporary.

Travis Winkler

tswinkler

RKett wrote:Exactly my thoughts, plus I don't want to go to heaven, I want to be with my friends.

You'll be in such torment, you wont know who your friends are.

Travis Winkler

tswinkler

theco2 wrote:'Nuff said.

But if youre wrong, bad news for you.

Travis Winkler

JMontego

quality posts: 0 Private Messages JMontego

The Matrix. Kinda like an afterlife, but you wake up in a cyberpunk version of Detroit.

Batman4oz

quality posts: 19 Private Messages Batman4oz

Complete non-thinking fantasy.
No one ever got a postcard from Beyond saying, 'having a wonderful time...wish you were here.'

^^X^^

Wooting for Bat Capes
JUDY-ism...the Only Religion I need!
WWJD...What Would JUDY Do?!
thebatcaveofoz.us
^^X^^

McGuffy

quality posts: 7 Private Messages McGuffy

Want to know what being dead is like? It's exactly like before you were born. Exactly.

"There are 2 types of people in the world: Those can extrapolate from incomplete data."