WootBot


quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

HP 14" Dual-Core i5 ProBook

Speed to First Woot:
10m 30.447s
First Sucker:
cmyniswonger
Last Wooter to Woot:
sherisheri2
Last Purchase:
9 months ago
Order Pace (rank):
Top 42% of Woot.com Woots
Top 24% of all Woots
Woots Sold (rank):
Top 13% of Woot.com Woots
Top 9% of all Woots

Purchaser Experience

  • 31% first woot
  • 12% second woot
  • 24% < 10 woots
  • 17% < 25 woots
  • 16% ≥ 25 woots

Purchaser Seniority

  • 24% joined today
  • 1% one week old
  • 1% one month old
  • 16% one year old
  • 57% > one year old

Quantity Breakdown

  • 100% bought 1

Percentage of Sales Per Hour

1%
1%
1%
1%
0%
1%
2%
5%
4%
8%
8%
10%
6%
6%
7%
5%
4%
5%
6%
5%
4%
4%
4%
3%
12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting



Quality Posts


lichme


quality posts: 2940 Private Messages lichme

[Preview 1]


HP 14" Dual-Core i5 ProBook
Price: $299.99
Shipping Options: $5 Standard
Shipping Estimates: Ships in 3-5 business days (Thursday, Jan 09 to Tuesday, Jan 14) + transit
Condition: Refurbished

Buy It Search Amazon Search Google

Previous Similar Sales (May not be exact model)
12/19/2013 - $329.99 (Woot Plus)
12/10/2013 - $329.99 (Woot Plus)
11/27/2013 - $329.99 (Woot Plus)

lichme


quality posts: 2940 Private Messages lichme

MyersJ2


quality posts: 2 Private Messages MyersJ2

holy sheit. talk about an out of date laptop. its a first gen core intel. We are mid way thru the 4th now...

conanthelibrarian


quality posts: 3530 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

OK review (3.5 out of 5.0) over at techradar.com and check out the "average" check from notebookcheck.com

wyk3d


quality posts: 2 Private Messages wyk3d

Processor released first quarter of 2010. Wow that's an old laptop.

i5-520m specs

Kapil


quality posts: 9 Private Messages Kapil

My old employer issued this as my work laptop a few years ago. Beat it to hell as I traveled across the world for the job and it kept on going. Buy, if for no other reason, for it's sturdy construction...which is a miracle for a HP product.

--
www.kapilville.com

DarkZrobe


quality posts: 44 Private Messages DarkZrobe

1Sale appears to be selling the exact same thing for same price:

http://1sale.com/electronics/computers-tablets/hp-probook-14-laptop/

However they list the HDD at 7200 RPM.

I wonder if the woot one is rated at that or if theirs is rated at 5400.

Woot can you double check the speed on yours? I have seen this sold in the past as 7200RPM.


[MOD: We've lowered our price to $279!]

DarkZrobe


quality posts: 44 Private Messages DarkZrobe

Hmm 1sales is listed as factory refurbished. That one might be in better condition than a off lease laptop. Assuming 1sale is honest with the factory refurbished statement.

terminatorgir


quality posts: 9 Private Messages terminatorgir

It says Webcame 'none' but I am 99% sure I can clearly see a webcam in the photo of the product. Why would they have an integrated mic with no webcam?

kmartind


quality posts: 38 Private Messages kmartind
Kapil wrote:My old employer issued this as my work laptop a few years ago. Beat it to hell as I traveled across the world for the job and it kept on going. Buy, if for no other reason, for it's sturdy construction...which is a miracle for a HP product.


Their business class products have always been sturdy, it's the lowest-end consumer models that tend to be flimsy (but that's true for basically all brands due to a fairly large population of shoppers who tend to buy things based on low price alone).

Since these have a Woot warranty rather than manufacturer's warranty they're likely to be a little closer to "seller refurbished" than "factory refurbished" condition but should still be in good shape (though keep in mind they may be a few years old).

As others mentioned this is a first-gen mobile i5 so don't expect it to blaze through CPU-intensive tasks. CPU performance should be almost on par with an AMD A8-M APU but with lower graphics performance, or roughly equivalent to an i3-2310M or i5-4200Y (the latter is a modern, but low-voltage Ultrabook/tablet CPU).

CPU benchmark: http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_lookup.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i5+520M+%40+2.40GHz&id=778

Overall, it's a fast-enough CPU for everyday tasks, but obviously not for any serious gaming or HD encoding, etc.

Replacing the hard drive with an SSD could improve typical everyday performance and boot time very noticeably.

Fhakya


quality posts: 1 Private Messages Fhakya

I do have to say (working in a company who uses HP business class hardware) that these things are durable! It's i5 class (more than most people's needs) so decent. The specs may look lean by what you're going to see at Best Buy/Walmart etc et but the BUSINESS CLASS hardware will last much longer...PERIOD. ...not a bad buy.

micamoca


quality posts: 0 Private Messages micamoca

NO FPO / APO WHY?

Bought a laptop here last week on "Sellout" tab.

That's cool, we'll stop blocking the Chinese from hacking WOOT!

WOOT has no Love for the Military?

jimsinkorea


quality posts: 1 Private Messages jimsinkorea
micamoca wrote:NO FPO / APO WHY?

Bought a laptop here last week on "Sellout" tab.

That's cool, we'll stop blocking the Chinese from hacking WOOT!

WOOT has no Love for the Military?



Agree, if you look at all the items on WOOT today most of them won't ship to APO/FPO. Might as well make your site only available to U.S. I.P. addresses WOOT since you are pretty much shutting out the Military overseas from shopping here anymore.



ThunderThighs


quality posts: 569 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

terminatorgir wrote:It says Webcame 'none' but I am 99% sure I can clearly see a webcam in the photo of the product. Why would they have an integrated mic with no webcam?


Our vendor said there was no Webcam. Unfortunately, HP stock photos show it with one. Sorry about the confusion.



FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

gkcmilner


quality posts: 4 Private Messages gkcmilner
DarkZrobe wrote:Hmm 1sales is listed as factory refurbished. That one might be in better condition than a off lease laptop. Assuming 1sale is honest with the factory refurbished statement.



Thanks for the tip. Just bought the one at 1sale. It has webcam, faster HDD, free shipping, no tax (for me), AND they ship to APO (for my son who is stationed in Germany).

ITstankBug


quality posts: 0 Private Messages ITstankBug

Disregard my edited text. I was thinking Dual Processor. But it is a first gen core i5. Which is still pretty good. I own a Dell Latitude E5410 that has the exact same M520 processor, and it is rock solid and strong.

bmartinftl


quality posts: 0 Private Messages bmartinftl

Does anyone know if Win 7 pro is 32bit or 64bit?


I need a 32bit win 7 box to run some legacy code....


[MOD: Per the specs, it's 64bit.]

Qiset


quality posts: 1 Private Messages Qiset

From the picture, the keyboard doesn't have function keys. I know sometimes the picture doesn't really match so, does it have function (fn) keys so one can do application keypad entries?

ThunderThighs


quality posts: 569 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

Qiset wrote:From the picture, the keyboard doesn't have function keys. I know sometimes the picture doesn't really match so, does it have function (fn) keys so one can do application keypad entries?

There are function keys. Look at the row above the numbers. I think that's pretty standard these days.



FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

abeandchris


quality posts: 7 Private Messages abeandchris

Wooter since 2005 here.

Recently, for Woots on refurb laptops, I've seen more and more posts in the forums saying, essentially, "I bought a different refurb laptop from Woot, something went wrong, Woot isn't helping me...I know, I know, this is a different laptop, but still, this is a joke, buy at your own risk."

When those posts went up, I suppose I always thought something along the lines of "now why are you posting this here? This has nothing to do with this sale. Do you really have to do that?"

Now that I'm having my own experience, I understand why those posts went up: it's out of desperation. Help doesn't come anywhere else.

I purchased an HP refurb laptop from Woot close to 4 weeks ago. The screen failed less than a week later. I emailed Woot right away, back on December 27. I got an auto-reply email back with the cutesy woot language we've all grown accustomed to.

I haven't heard a thing from Woot since. That was 10 days ago, and I'm sitting on an unreasonably expensive paperweight here. So here I am, in the forums, posting like just I've seen others do.

So, help? And, buyer beware?

(I'm genuinely curious to see if Woot leaves this post up. IMO, this is is extremely pertinent to the current experience of purchasing a refurb computer on Woot.)



[MOD: Sorry for the problems with your computer. I've made CS aware of your issue. Please note though that your computer came with an HP warranty. You should contact them as well.]

rober67t


quality posts: 0 Private Messages rober67t

no HDMI

gudsport


quality posts: 0 Private Messages gudsport

So given my latest experience with a refurb purchase from woot I have to ask. If it comes out of the box broken..will it take over 30 days while the 90 warranty time is ticking to get a reply to contact the manufacturer and then be told I need to pay for the shipping? I have bought a ton of stuff off of Woot and what I am currently dealing with is different from the Woot I knew 6 years ago.

Clark493


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Clark493

Valentines day will be here before you know it. Got this for my spouse for her work that is brought home frequently. Now we have a laptop that can used with the programs that are used in the workplace for a very affordable price and with Windows 7 Pro. I know my spouse will love it and what a great price too.

Brihen


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Brihen
gudsport wrote:So given my latest experience with a refurb purchase from woot I have to ask. If it comes out of the box broken..will it take over 30 days while the 90 warranty time is ticking to get a reply to contact the manufacturer and then be told I need to pay for the shipping? I have bought a ton of stuff off of Woot and what I am currently dealing with is different from the Woot I knew 6 years ago.



I am having a similar problem with Woot.I purchased a Belkin router which does not work, and after 16 days have not heard back from woot other than the initial automatic "We will look into it" email. They are selling junkier products matched with poor customer service. IMHO.

ebnub


quality posts: 4 Private Messages ebnub

So, no HDMI? Dang.

ThunderThighs


quality posts: 569 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

micamoca wrote:NO FPO / APO WHY?

Bought a laptop here last week on "Sellout" tab.

That's cool, we'll stop blocking the Chinese from hacking WOOT!

WOOT has no Love for the Military?


We ship from various locations.

If an item ships from an Amazon warehouse (our inventory), they have access to a variety of shipping methods to get the item to its destination in the most cost effective way. This includes the ability to use FedEx Smartpost or USPS to get packages to the military addresses.

Some items, like this, are drop shipped directly from the vendor. They use FedEx and FedEx won't deliver to PO Boxes. APO/FBO = PO Boxes.

I'm sorry. It's definitely not meant as an insult to our hard working military personnel.



FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

mfeferman


quality posts: 7 Private Messages mfeferman

Actually, this and the entire Elitebook line are very well made, sans the one-off defective ones...

My employer (HP) also gave me one of these and it holds 24GB RAM and with an SSD drive is pretty awesome.

For the price, it's not bad.


DarkZrobe wrote:1Sale appears to be selling the exact same thing for same price:

http://1sale.com/electronics/computers-tablets/hp-probook-14-laptop/

However they list the HDD at 7200 RPM.

I wonder if the woot one is rated at that or if theirs is rated at 5400.

Woot can you double check the speed on yours? I have seen this sold in the past as 7200RPM.




"To understand recursion, you must first understand recursion."

mfeferman


quality posts: 7 Private Messages mfeferman

Also, it holds 24GB of RAM and I run CentOS on it flawlessly.

And...I work for HP.


kmartind wrote:Their business class products have always been sturdy, it's the lowest-end consumer models that tend to be flimsy (but that's true for basically all brands due to a fairly large population of shoppers who tend to buy things based on low price alone).

Since these have a Woot warranty rather than manufacturer's warranty they're likely to be a little closer to "seller refurbished" than "factory refurbished" condition but should still be in good shape (though keep in mind they may be a few years old).

As others mentioned this is a first-gen mobile i5 so don't expect it to blaze through CPU-intensive tasks. CPU performance should be almost on par with an AMD A8-M APU but with lower graphics performance, or roughly equivalent to an i3-2310M or i5-4200Y (the latter is a modern, but low-voltage Ultrabook/tablet CPU).

CPU benchmark: http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_lookup.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i5+520M+%40+2.40GHz&id=778

Overall, it's a fast-enough CPU for everyday tasks, but obviously not for any serious gaming or HD encoding, etc.

Replacing the hard drive with an SSD could improve typical everyday performance and boot time very noticeably.




"To understand recursion, you must first understand recursion."

mfeferman


quality posts: 7 Private Messages mfeferman

+1

Fhakya wrote:I do have to say (working in a company who uses HP business class hardware) that these things are durable! It's i5 class (more than most people's needs) so decent. The specs may look lean by what you're going to see at Best Buy/Walmart etc et but the BUSINESS CLASS hardware will last much longer...PERIOD. ...not a bad buy.




"To understand recursion, you must first understand recursion."

mfeferman


quality posts: 7 Private Messages mfeferman

The Webcam is an option, which many of these did not get ordered with...
Also, a higher-resolution screen was available, but again, many were not ordered with...

I have this laptop and have neither and don't really miss them (although the high-res display would be great).

With 24GB of RAM and an SSD, it's a very decent computer.

Also, I have the extended battery, which is great for long plane flights.


ThunderThighs wrote:Our vendor said there was no Webcam. Unfortunately, HP stock photos show it with one. Sorry about the confusion.




"To understand recursion, you must first understand recursion."

mfeferman


quality posts: 7 Private Messages mfeferman

I can confirm that this isn't the absolute best laptop in the work, but with the additions that I mentioned (24GB RAM and a 250GB SSD), it works pretty darn well. I compile a lot of software and perform a lot of pen-tests with it and I've traveled on planes over 200k miles in the last two years with it and it's still working perfectly.

I'm actually considering buying this for my 8-year old to use for Minecraft.


"To understand recursion, you must first understand recursion."

micamoca


quality posts: 0 Private Messages micamoca
ThunderThighs wrote:We ship from various locations.

If an item ships from an Amazon warehouse (our inventory), they have access to a variety of shipping methods to get the item to its destination in the most cost effective way. This includes the ability to use FedEx Smartpost or USPS to get packages to the military addresses.

Some items, like this, are drop shipped directly from the vendor. They use FedEx and FedEx won't deliver to PO Boxes. APO/FBO = PO Boxes.

I'm sorry. It's definitely not meant as an insult to our hard working military personnel.



SO, what you're saying is that you rather make money, than take a stand and tell YOUR verndors that if the can't ship to our military overseas they will need to find another outlet.

Thanks,
Not insulting at all!

escalante


quality posts: 8 Private Messages escalante
DarkZrobe wrote:Hmm 1sales is listed as factory refurbished. That one might be in better condition than a off lease laptop. Assuming 1sale is honest with the factory refurbished statement.


But you nailed the reason I do not buy from them. I also have checked their site for years but have NEVER purchased anything from them. You have to assume too much. If I purchase a refurbished item, it HAS to be factory refurbished. But they do not even state who warranties this laptop and there no easy way to find out, so why take the chance?

NO FORUM = NO SALE



ThunderThighs


quality posts: 569 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff


PRICE LOWERED


Whoa, whoa, whoa! What is this? Who lowered that price?

WE DID!!!!


Would be small print if we could do that: If you already purchased this item, that $20 will come flying back to you account soonish.



FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

ThunderThighs


quality posts: 569 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

micamoca wrote:SO, what you're saying is that you rather make money, than take a stand and tell YOUR verndors that if the can't ship to our military overseas they will need to find another outlet.

Thanks,
Not insulting at all!

I understand your point and will pass your feedback on up the ladder. Thank you for taking the time to let us know.



FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

pgillies


quality posts: 0 Private Messages pgillies

SO, what you're saying is that a business shouldn't operate if it can't meet the extremely specific shipping needs of military personnel. I'm sorry, who's being selfish again?

micamoca wrote:SO, what you're saying is that you rather make money, than take a stand and tell YOUR verndors that if the can't ship to our military overseas they will need to find another outlet.

Thanks,
Not insulting at all!



esteinbg


quality posts: 2 Private Messages esteinbg

This is a no brainer for me. I've been using a Win 7 Pro HP laptop supplied by work for a couple years with no issues and I just throw it in my backpack daily. I don't do anything intensive for personal use, my email is web based and I save files in the cloud. But I do like to carry my laptop around. I have a Toshiba Laptop which has been great except it can't take much abuse, it's flimsy compared to these business laptops. I'll probably throw an SSD in this which will speed it up and I won't have to be concerned with how many hours are on the supplied HD.

Wooting since 4/3/2006

Tommy2Woot


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Tommy2Woot
MyersJ2 wrote:holy sheit. talk about an out of date laptop. its a first gen core intel. We are mid way thru the 4th now...



So I am looking to replace a laptop and desktop both from 2007 with XP and Vista. I will run mostly photos and Quickbooks Pro from 2012. I am not a gamer nor do I watch movies on it, so is this a way to go for an old geiseror is there a better product at a great deal I should look at.

adeebatassi


quality posts: 0 Private Messages adeebatassi

Just had to make my own comment on Woot's customer service. I have yet to receive one of my items from early December, and have so far received two "catchy" case numbers from Woot but nothing else substantial. Will probably never buy again now!


[MOD: Sorry for the problems. I'll make sure CS is aware of your concerns about your order.]

Adeeb Atassi