zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

lichme

quality posts: 2911 Private Messages lichme

[Preview 1][Preview 2][Preview 3][Preview 4]

Dickies Men's Hooded Jacket
Price: $29.99
Shipping Options: $5 Standard OR $12 Two-Day OR $15 One-Day
Shipping Estimates: Ships in 1-2 business days (Monday, Jan 20 to Tuesday, Jan 21) + transit
Condition: New

Buy It Search Amazon Search Google

harness

quality posts: 1 Private Messages harness

"...pride that embodies the spirit of the American worker."

Manufactured in China.

wilcononomous

quality posts: 20 Private Messages wilcononomous

Kebsis

quality posts: 13 Private Messages Kebsis

How do these compare in toughness to a standard Carhartt?

ilovereality

quality posts: 4 Private Messages ilovereality

7 reviews over on Amazon 4-5 stars.

http://www.amazon.com/Dickies-Mens-Sanded-Hooded-Jacket/product-reviews/B009RJNKQG/

One reviewer does mention Carhartt and felt the Dickies was the better value for the price.

bpingel93

quality posts: 5 Private Messages bpingel93

Perfect timing woot! Just told my girlfriend yesterday how I was wanting a carhartt type jacket because I liked my brothers when I borrowed it, but it was too short for my long arms. Skinny and 6'4". And it didn't have a hood which I wanted. Plus I'm a poor college student and they aren't cheap! Anyways, the large tall should hopefully do the trick! Fingers crossed!

Now off to bed before 8:30 Thermo II

Goodnight woot! Sleep tight and don't let the screaming monkeys bite!

A Woot's a Woot, no matter how small!

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3530 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

Time to check out the product page

I was pretty excited to see this come up. This is definitely a jacket I would wear and the price can't be beat. Wish I could be in for three but too poor at the moment but in for 1!!!

joefremeau

quality posts: 2 Private Messages joefremeau

My first impression is that I really like the look of the jacket. And I'm in the market for a spring- or fall-weather coat.

Can anyone verify if this style is good in wet weather?

mikecatcher

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mikecatcher
harness wrote:"...pride that embodies the spirit of the American worker."

Manufactured in China.

Exactly why I won't buy it! I don't know who writes that description, but I consider that to be very deceptive advertising.

llslice

quality posts: 1 Private Messages llslice

I own lots of Dickies jeans and work shirts.I bought this jacket at Dickies website a couple of years back.The insulation is very thin so you'll have to layer or wear in the fall.The duck material is also light weight.I'm not the most muscular guy in the world,but the armpits just don't have enough room.If you had to swing an ax,this jacket will impede your movement.I buy slightly irregular Carhartts on other websites for twice the price and am very happy with the fit and quality.

UrArsenal

quality posts: 2 Private Messages UrArsenal
Kebsis wrote:How do these compare in toughness to a standard Carhartt?

I've been wearing Dickies pants and jackets for over 10 years. Dickies are affordable, durable, virtually wrinkle free, and the black pants and jackets do not fade. I am only speaking about their line of work pants and jackets. Their jeans do nothing for me.

Having worn a Carhartt jacket once or twice, I think Carhartt has slightly better quality materials. Or maybe it's the higher prices that make it seem higher quality.

biggs13

quality posts: 2 Private Messages biggs13
mikecatcher wrote:Exactly why I won't buy it! I don't know who writes that description, but I consider that to be very deceptive advertising.

Unfortunately made in America is a statement very few companies can make these days. DIckies is still an American-owned and operated company based in Fort Worth, Texas and they make really durable, affordable and stylish clothing. I'm a fan. Even if the description is a tad misleading it should not be a deal breaker.

barry1214

quality posts: 0 Private Messages barry1214

I can't figure out if I need a tall. at 5' 10.5" tall I'm sure torso heighth figures in. No returns means I'd better figure it out.

fongj

quality posts: 1 Private Messages fongj

This is a great deal! Dickies has seasonal clearance sales often, and the best deal I got was 25% more for a jacket that is a bit lighter than this one (style "TJ718" still the duck canvas, but 10oz instead of 12oz).

My dad uses these (and their overalls) at work doing maintenance. He likes them, and the hold up well.

barry1214

quality posts: 0 Private Messages barry1214
biggs13 wrote:Unfortunately made in America is a statement very few companies can make these days. DIckies is still an American-owned and operated company based in Fort Worth, Texas and they make really durable, affordable and stylish clothing. I'm a fan. Even if the description is a tad misleading it should not be a deal breaker.

I think if american garment workers did the construction nobody could afford it. We forget that we want the low prices but high wages.

TypeOholic

quality posts: 4 Private Messages TypeOholic

For anyone that has one of these... Does the shell shrink in the wash causing the tail in the back to roll up? I've had similar jackets where the outside was cotton and the lining was poly or nylon and after washing, the back would roll up because the shell shrinks but the lining doesn't. Thanks

3X5X

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3530 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

Time to learn more about the warranty

drunkskunk

quality posts: 1 Private Messages drunkskunk

I would highly, HIGHLY, recommend the Walls brand of work wear. The cost is considerably lower than Carhartt, but the quality and durability are on par. I would not even put Dickies in the same league as Carhartt, Walls, or Berne.

I bought a new, not irregular, Walls heavy duty cotton duck winter work jacket, and it was right around $50

Spend a little extra money, it will be well worth it.

prttymf8

quality posts: 25 Private Messages prttymf8

In for 1. Hopefully the people in the warehouse can tell the difference between 2XL and 3XL, they clearly can't tell the difference between LumaTwist and LumaPivot.

Craig234

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Craig234
barry1214 wrote:I think if american garment workers did the construction nobody could afford it. We forget that we want the low prices but high wages.

Wages aren't the problem. CEO salaries and corporate profits are. Worker income is flat, top 1% is up hundreds of %.

Barrys1214

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Barrys1214

I also am interested in use during wet weather. thx

sudsyboy

quality posts: 2 Private Messages sudsyboy

I have this jacket and really like it. It is incredibly durable and doesn't snag or tear when I catch it on baling wire or tree branches.

It is not waterproof. If you go out in much rain you'll want to Scotchgard it.

It washes up perfectly. I get it filthy with mud and animal waste which dries thoroughly. It always comes out of the washer clean even when I use the short permanent press cycle.

It doesn't shrink in the wash and doesn't roll or bunch up. It comes out of the dryer wrinkle free.

As for sizing. I'm short (5'4") and wear the medium which is a bit long on me.

sudsyboy

quality posts: 2 Private Messages sudsyboy

Oh, it also is really good at keeping out the wind. It keeps me warm enough where I am, although I did wear a couple of layers when our temps dropped to the low 20's. So I can't speak for those in parts of the country that think the low 20's is summer weather.

irockash

quality posts: 3 Private Messages irockash

Can anyone comment on sizing? My dad typically wears a 2XL, but if it fits tight, I would play it safe and get a 3X. It seems like those are the only sizes left, so hopefully they don't sell out as well.

roadrunnermoore

quality posts: 0 Private Messages roadrunnermoore

I was getting ready to post the same comment.

harness wrote:"...pride that embodies the spirit of the American worker."

Manufactured in China.

earlyre

quality posts: 2 Private Messages earlyre
barry1214 wrote:I think if american garment workers did the construction nobody could afford it. We forget that we want the low prices but high wages.

yes/no. while Carhart's are More expensive than Dickies, many people do spend the money for them.

Carhart is/are made in MI, by Unionized American workers.
they are part of the UFCW (United Food and Commercial Workers)as am I (I work @ a grocery store)

wordperfect7

quality posts: 4 Private Messages wordperfect7

This is a canvas coat it is not a raincoat. Dickie coats that are weatherproof say, "Storm", on them.

joefremeau wrote:My first impression is that I really like the look of the jacket. And I'm in the market for a spring- or fall-weather coat.

Can anyone verify if this style is good in wet weather?

wordperfect7

quality posts: 4 Private Messages wordperfect7

Dickeie pants run a little small in the waist but I have had good luck with their coats. I am a 3xl and the 3xl jacket I have is almost to big so if you dad is a 2xl get him that.

irockash wrote:Can anyone comment on sizing? My dad typically wears a 2XL, but if it fits tight, I would play it safe and get a 3X. It seems like those are the only sizes left, so hopefully they don't sell out as well.

wish2fish

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wish2fish
Craig234 wrote:Wages aren't the problem. CEO salaries and corporate profits are. Worker income is flat, top 1% is up hundreds of %.

eyeroll, sigh

readnower

quality posts: 0 Private Messages readnower
earlyre wrote:yes/no. while Carhart's are More expensive than Dickies, many people do spend the money for them.

Carhart is/are made in MI, by Unionized American workers.
they are part of the UFCW (United Food and Commercial Workers)as am I (I work @ a grocery store)

I own two Carhartt coats and they are both imported and a quick search of Amazon shows that most of their products are.
If you want American made work wear check out Bruns Clothing made in South Dakota.
http://brunsclothing.com/

GTTraveller

quality posts: 7 Private Messages GTTraveller

Wow, touchy subject -
where is work wear worn...

Dickie's britches don't fit (me) well, frustratingly, so the sizing for these might be problematic as well.

groberts1980

quality posts: 6 Private Messages groberts1980

Exactly. I buy things made in China because I realize if it was made in the U.S. I probably wouldn't be able to afford it. Garment workers in the U.S. probably make more than I do with two degrees because of unions.

Tatts

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Tatts
barry1214 wrote:I think if american garment workers did the construction nobody could afford it.

That is simply not true. There is still lots of stuff made in the US and it doesn't cost more than imports. Case in point: Nike Air Jordans Concords--made in Indonesia, sell here for $180. Cost to Nike to Manufacture--$16 (including $9 for materials, $2.50 for labor (workers earn $4/day).

The cost of labor in goods is fairly small--even when made in the US. Motorola is now making cell phones in the US (with some foreign parts).

And a study showed that if Apple made iPhones in the US, it would add only $7 to their costs. Labor costs on an iPhone are only 5%-10% of the cost. Apple's overall markup currently is 54%. They can afford the extra $7. The largest cost for many consumer goods (and foods) is advertising and marketing--not manufacturing. Don't blame the American worker.

neilf

quality posts: 1 Private Messages neilf

"Why a duck?"

ike0069

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ike0069
Tatts wrote:That is simply not true. There is still lots of stuff made in the US and it doesn't cost more than imports. Case in point (I'm using old figures from the original news report) Nike Air Jordans--made in Malaysia, I believe, sell here for $125. Cost to Nike to Manufacture--$12 (including materials).

The cost of labor in goods is fairly small. Motorola is now making cell phones in the US (with some foreign parts).

And a study showed that if Apple made iPhones in the US, it would add only $7 to their costs. Apple's overall markup currently is 54%. They can afford the extra $7. The largest cost for many consumer goods (and foods) is advertising and marketing--not manufacturing. Don't blame the American worker.

Only $7 more??

Apples sold 33.8 MM iphones last quarter. Hell, $0.07 adds up fast when the volume is that high. And the large majority of that money goes into R&D for the next product.

A 54% markup is pretty standard (50% considered the norm). If you do not like where it's made, don't buy one. Pretty easy solution.

sfcchase

quality posts: 7 Private Messages sfcchase

Not a fan of Dickies. If you want a quality jacket in this style that will keep you warm and dry I'd go with Carhartt.

Quality Posts - 5
Times put on Probation - 2

mbrickell

quality posts: 9 Private Messages mbrickell

This is tempting, as I'm in the market for a new jacket like this. But after getting burned on an item during the WO for $20 more than you can get the same direct from the manufacturer, my Woothusiasm is at an ebb.

zonkerrob

quality posts: 5 Private Messages zonkerrob
prttymf8 wrote:In for 1. Hopefully the people in the warehouse can tell the difference between 2XL and 3XL, they clearly can't tell the difference between LumaTwist and LumaPivot.

Yeah, this happened to me too. Emailed Woot!, and we the week they promised to get back to me in has passed ...

iamjakecollier

quality posts: 0 Private Messages iamjakecollier

Any opinions out there on how sizes run on these bad boys?

I'm a pretty big guy, and always find myself between a L and an XL... It's a crap shoot most of the time.

Think it would be smart to go XL?