zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

wootstalkerbot

quality posts: 13 Private Messages wootstalkerbot

[Preview 1][Preview 2]

High Sierra Piranha 10L Hydration Pack
Price: $29.99
Shipping Options: $5 Standard OR $12 Two-Day OR $15 One-Day
Shipping Estimates: Ships in 1-2 business days (Thursday, Jan 23 to Friday, Jan 24) + transit
Condition: New

Buy It Search Amazon Search Google

***Facebook/Twitter notifications enabled***

Woot Tracker | Woot Plus Tracker | Droid App | Chat |Contests | T-Shirt Trade | Derby Stats

lichme

quality posts: 2856 Private Messages lichme

Single 5 star review stolen from Amazon

Good element, is very portable, had a nice style and is very comfortable is good for trainer on the mountain is good

dersquisher

quality posts: 3 Private Messages dersquisher

I don't own this backpack, but I have a different smallish hydration backpack (not sure the exact size, sorry). It is nice that the backpack is so small, but it is frequently a trade-off: Just carrying another layer can be hard to pack. YMMV.

Kingu

quality posts: 42 Private Messages Kingu

Oooh, a ten liter hydration pack! That'd be great for runs, as there'd be a huge amount of weight on my back. Thankfully there's a waist belt to balance it out...

(reads product details)

Whhaaaa? This is actually only a 2L bag? GRUMP!

Having used hydration bags on half marathons, I gotta say - I'd rather just carry a couple pods on my belt and refill them at a watering station. But if this lives up to the claims, it is a handy bag for bikers as it can hold your helmet after you're riding, so you don't have to leave it unsecured on your bike (or look like an Romulan wearing or carrying it around your destination.)

Tempted, but honestly, I'm more than a bit put off by a 10L bag that holds 2L. Someone should have thought that out before putting that name on the bag.

Oh, and average retail is about $50 from many online retailers - still a great price, however.

noahtheimagine

quality posts: 1 Private Messages noahtheimagine

Was put off by the 10L now I'm guessing that's the volume of the bag but it was making me scratch my head for a while. Just imagining someone carrying the equivalent of 5 big bottles of soda on their back (2 liter bottles) boggled my mind

missyscove

quality posts: 12 Private Messages missyscove

I'm interested if this can hold 2 L of water and my DSLR at the same time as I like to bring both on hikes.

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3480 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

Time to check out the product page and let's learn all about the warranty and all about High Sierra

avengerofpi

quality posts: 3 Private Messages avengerofpi

@Kingu: Agreed, at least as regards the 10L =?= 2L maths. Kind of a joy killer.

bpingel93

quality posts: 5 Private Messages bpingel93

I too was a tad bit confused on the 10L hydration pack. Happy to see that it is just the pack's storage capacity!

I've been wanting to get one of these for trail riding on the dirt bike. My brother has one and it is definitely a life saver on hot summer days when a wrong turn means your short trail ride turns into a several hour ordeal. Might be in for one if more people convince me when I check back in the morning...

A Woot's a Woot, no matter how small!

draconnery

quality posts: 2 Private Messages draconnery

Okay, how many L does this thing carry really, Woot — 10L, or "2-liter/67.6 ounce"? The internet in general (including the adoptive motherstore) seems confused, or at least a little confusing.

(I guess it's 2 liters of liquid, and those other 8L are additional cargo space? I'm interested to see a picture of the hydration bladder in place with the bag open, because the hydration pack I have is 75% water — I can squeeze a few gels and granola bars around it, but certainly not 4x as much storage as water.)

ROGETRAY

quality posts: 158 Private Messages ROGETRAY

Staff

draconnery wrote:Okay, how many L does this thing carry really, Woot — 10L, or "2-liter/67.6 ounce"? The internet in general (including the adoptive motherstore) seems confused, or at least a little confusing.

(I guess it's 2 liters of liquid, and those other 8L are additional cargo space? I'm interested to see a picture of the hydration bladder in place with the bag open, because the hydration pack I have is 75% water — I can squeeze a few gels and granola bars around it, but certainly not 4x as much storage as water.)

Reservoir: 2 L (67.6 oz) ; Pack: 10 L (610 cu in)
site: http://www.rockymountaintrail.com/High_Sierra/Piranha_10L/68203/detail

imecoli

quality posts: 1 Private Messages imecoli

This looks like the one Costco was selling with a 100 oz bladder. Not a lot of room for storage, enough for a couple of snacks, and holds your helmet as mentioned above. I have used this for some short desert hikes, was good, still could use more water. I packed a frozen bottle of Gatorade next to the bladder to help keep it cool.

I have recommended this to friends.

Jragghen

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Jragghen

Found a review over here: http://www.thegearcaster.com/the_gearcaster/2013/08/high-sierra-piranha-10l-hydration-pack-review.html which seems to think rather well of it. Not familiar with the site, though.

Might pick this up because my camelback with similar usage specs (day pack with built in bladder, basically, instead of JUST a water pack) has gotten long in the tooth and some of the straps have broken and such.

HughHemington

quality posts: 15 Private Messages HughHemington

I'm interested in getting a hydration pack, but I'm holding out for one with a sensible design. Well insulated with a way to keep water chilled six to eight hours.

The wide mouth might work; dropping in cylinder ice cubes, but not sure about insulation around bladder. The pictures on this woot are not up to woot standards.

joshobra

quality posts: 38 Private Messages joshobra
missyscove wrote:I'm interested if this can hold 2 L of water and my DSLR at the same time as I like to bring both on hikes.

I like the idea, but to be honest I wouldn't put water near any electronics (especially DSLRs). And especially if the water is cold/frozen.. it will definitely condensate all over inside the bag (mild exaggeration). But I see it says "Large, front-load main compartment holds gear" on the description, but it's hard to tell how big that compartment really is... but I think it's just big enough to hold a folded sweater.

I would suggest using a shoulder strap like this Fotasy NSQF that I got myself recently. It's pretty cheap and it's my current setup; I use a Geigerrig Woot has given me from a previous Bug-eyed Organic Creature. It does make a huge difference coming from a neckstrap and lugging a DSLR while hiking is no bueno for me. I'd say this way is much more comfortable (or maybe not with a hydration pack... it's probably going to feel like Rambo or something with all the straps going on).

Just my two-cents!

PS: The title does looks a little misleading.

What 10L feels like.

POSSIBLY THE BEST BoC THREAD EVER. (With a story!~)
O-M-G! That Squirrel stole my Bag of Crap!

mynamesrob

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mynamesrob

As mentioned by 'imecoli,' this does look very similar to the one Costco sells for around $20. I picked up a much older version for mountain biking and have been very pleased with it. Definitely a strong alternative to a Camelbak but don't expect it to carry the kitchen sink. This guy did a review on an older model but at least it shows some more pictures.

vulcand3

quality posts: 4 Private Messages vulcand3

How do you get the nasty new plastic/rubber taste outta these things? I had one before and could not stand drinking from it. Tried baking soda water rinse. No good.

Nerelda

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Nerelda

How long does it take support to respond? I've got a case opened a week ago about an order from Dec19th that still has yet to ship.

[mod note: we'll be checking in with CS on your order]

deadering

quality posts: 2 Private Messages deadering

I thought this was some sort of massive 10L hydration pack as well.

I'm not sure what I would have done with all that water, but it sure had me excited lol.

huelle

quality posts: 0 Private Messages huelle
Nerelda wrote:How long does it take support to respond? I've got a case opened a week ago about an order from Dec19th that still has yet to ship.

I have discovered Woot is horrible at answering their emails. I finally got a response to one of my six emails - although it was a poor response - it did give me a valid tracking link and I was able to find where my rather expensive purchase was - to get it delivered. It was well over a month from order time to delivery. Woot customer service sucks.

wootrich4349

quality posts: 1 Private Messages wootrich4349
vulcand3 wrote:How do you get the nasty new plastic/rubber taste outta these things? I had one before and could not stand drinking from it. Tried baking soda water rinse. No good.

It's not so much about WHAT you de-flavor it with, as how long. Try mixing up some sugar-free kool-aid and lifting it sit for a couple hours. Just don't forget it over night or you'll have a _____berry flavored pack.

I TOO thought this was the answer to my perpetual search for the ultimate Grand Canyon hydration pack. But one is certainly free to use the other 8L to carry whatever one wants, right (2 L bottles) ?Iodine / neutralizer tablets are great...IF you have SOME questionable water to purify.

keithnowak7

quality posts: 11 Private Messages keithnowak7
vulcand3 wrote:How do you get the nasty new plastic/rubber taste outta these things? I had one before and could not stand drinking from it. Tried baking soda water rinse. No good.

Don't own one of these, but have several Camelbacks (including a "military spec" one) have tried friend's Nalgene, Hydrapack, etc. and they all have that taste. It comes with the territory.

And to those who "know" hydration packs, I, too, clicked thinking "what in the hell, 10L of water? At that point you pack a life-straw or purification tabs. 10L of water is not light."

iwarriorwalk

quality posts: 1 Private Messages iwarriorwalk
Kingu wrote:Oooh, a ten liter hydration pack! That'd be great for runs, as there'd be a huge amount of weight on my back. Thankfully there's a waist belt to balance it out...

(reads product details)

Whhaaaa? This is actually only a 2L bag? GRUMP!

Having used hydration bags on half marathons, I gotta say - I'd rather just carry a couple pods on my belt and refill them at a watering station. But if this lives up to the claims, it is a handy bag for bikers as it can hold your helmet after you're riding, so you don't have to leave it unsecured on your bike (or look like an Romulan wearing or carrying it around your destination.)

Tempted, but honestly, I'm more than a bit put off by a 10L bag that holds 2L. Someone should have thought that out before putting that name on the bag.

Oh, and average retail is about $50 from many online retailers - still a great price, however.

I agree. They say it's a 10L bag and then say it holds 2 liters of water, which then makes it like any other bag on the market.

Of course, 10 liters would be awfully heavy. I thought this might have come equipped with an anti-gravity system to lighten the weight and still let us carry 10 liters of fluid.

strawhousepig

quality posts: 60 Private Messages strawhousepig

Could've used this Woot 3 months ago. Bought a similar Camelbak for twice as much.

Although it does have a 3L reservoir and could hold a 5L (if there is such a thing). And it is a higher visibility color than either of these, which I appreciate for cycling. So I guess I'm happy with it, but I would've snapped one of these up.

hardaker

quality posts: 1 Private Messages hardaker
missyscove wrote:I'm interested if this can hold 2 L of water and my DSLR at the same time as I like to bring both on hikes.

You want one of these: these packs instead. Unfortunately "these packs" are much more expensive and don't come with the water pouch, so that's an add on (but the pack is designed with a water-proof side-pocket to put the hydration container in it).

I'm not affiliated with mindshift at all; just a photographer that loves his pack :-)

eskezzy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages eskezzy

Does this one have the hard back like the Costco one did?

derekhenry

quality posts: 0 Private Messages derekhenry

so is it 2L or 10L? c'mon woot. Title says 10L, specs say 2L.

ajmeboy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ajmeboy

WINTER use: no one is mentioning winter use.

Anyone have experience with this version and cold weather? How well does the neoprene protect the tube and mouth piece from freezing?

Demersal

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Demersal
ajmeboy wrote:WINTER use: no one is mentioning winter use.

Anyone have experience with this version and cold weather? How well does the neoprene protect the tube and mouth piece from freezing?

Camelbak sells insulated tubes. In extreme cold I keep the pack inside my outer parka and the tube tucked in. The insulated ones are nicer on hot days too so you dont get a hot first gulp. I freeze the bladder on really hot days and just sip it as it melts, helps with hyperthermia.

kikithebunny

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kikithebunny

So how big is the storage pack? 1000 cubic cm?

I need a new back pack but I need it to have room for Stuff. I carry a good bit of stuff.

I AM a BUNNY. I am NOT a Wolf!

Demersal

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Demersal

I do not own a High Sierra hydration pack but do have one of their ski bags for air travel and a boot/helmet bag and both are perfectly fine design and quality. Both have 10 ski seasons on them with just now some minor seam issues. They outlasted skis and boots 3 to 1

dannydubya

quality posts: 1 Private Messages dannydubya

Anyone think this would be good as an alpine summit pack? I know it's a little on the small side...

dreadpirateandy

quality posts: 2 Private Messages dreadpirateandy

I can't decide if I'm amused or scared by the number of people who are put off by the pack "only" having 2L of water capacity. Do you...do you guys know what it would be like to carry 10L of water? Do you know how long that would last?! 5 days if you're drinking 8 cups/day! Almost a whole week! Or, in the absolute worst-case scenario, no less than 10 hours in the most extreme heat. If you're exercising anywhere even remotely close to 10 hours in 100+ degree heat, you shouldn't be looking for a $30 hydration pack.

dsclothe

quality posts: 1 Private Messages dsclothe

The taste is horrible. Activated charcoal gets it out. Buy a bottle of capsules at CVS, open them up and dump the powder in the reservoir. Fill it up with water. Mix it good. Make sure the solution also sits in the hose. Leave overnight. Rinse out the next day. I've tried everything else, including denture cleaning tablets, lemon juice and baking soda, soap and water, etc.

keithnowak7 wrote:Don't own one of these, but have several Camelbacks (including a "military spec" one) have tried friend's Nalgene, Hydrapack, etc. and they all have that taste. It comes with the territory.

And to those who "know" hydration packs, I, too, clicked thinking "what in the hell, 10L of water? At that point you pack a life-straw or purification tabs. 10L of water is not light."

dsclothe

quality posts: 1 Private Messages dsclothe

Wear the pack on the inside of your jacket. That's what we do while running in the winter. And keep the hose tucked into your shirt, preferably against the skin. Works great! Looks really funny tho.

Demersal wrote:Camelbak sells insulated tubes. In extreme cold I keep the pack inside my outer parka and the tube tucked in. The insulated ones are nicer on hot days too so you dont get a hot first gulp. I freeze the bladder on really hot days and just sip it as it melts, helps with hyperthermia.

makomarkos

quality posts: 0 Private Messages makomarkos

I haven't used Woot in a long time. I just bought today's Woot and checked out using Paypal. Instead of directing me to Paypal and then giving me the option to choose my method of payment you just sucked the money out of whichever account of mine was listed first......Woot is the only company I have ever done business that did so......
Why don't you focus on doing business better instead of working so hard to write clever reviews.........

flopejoe

quality posts: 1 Private Messages flopejoe
ajmeboy wrote:WINTER use: no one is mentioning winter use.

Descriptions states: "Insulated hose cover prevents water from freezing in the tube"

Krickey

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Krickey

I have something super similar to this, it's perfect for a day's worth of hiking or a long bike ride. Seriously I don't know how my riding buddies go without a hydration pack.

2L is about the max I'd want to carry with me for a day, that's almost an extra 10lbs of water on my back! I can fit an extra pair of clothes if they are thin and I roll them plus some snacks in my backpack and mine looks a tad smaller than these.