zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

wootstalkerbot

quality posts: 13 Private Messages wootstalkerbot

[Preview 1]

Dell 14.1" Dual-Core i5 Laptop
Price: $259.99
Shipping Options: $5 Standard
Shipping Estimates: Ships in 3-5 business days (Wednesday, Jan 29 to Monday, Feb 03) + transit
Condition: Refurbished

Buy It Search Amazon Search Google

Previous Similar Sales (May not be exact model)
11/15/2013 - $329.99 (Woot Plus)
10/25/2013 - $329.99 (Woot Plus)
9/25/2013 - $339.99 (Woot Plus)

***Facebook/Twitter notifications enabled***

Woot Tracker | Woot Plus Tracker | Droid App | Chat |Contests | T-Shirt Trade | Derby Stats

lrgraham14

quality posts: 8 Private Messages lrgraham14

Dell 14.1" Dual-Core i5 Laptop
Price: $259.99
Shipping Options: $5 Standard
Condition: Refurbished

Comparison Links:
Google Products - Amazon - Previous Woot Sales

Tired of refreshing the page during a wootoff? Save your f5 key by using mywoot.net

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3542 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

computershopper.com named this an "editor's choice"

and lets see how this model stacks up to the E4310

wchong4

quality posts: 13 Private Messages wchong4

I've been waiting for these to hit the shelves as refurbs and off-lease.

Simply put, this is my favorite Dell business laptop, ever. I used one extensively for work for probably 2 years and it always kept up. The design minimizes wasted space and all controls are well placed.

The generation after this (the one I currently use for work) isn't much different, but they changed the case design and it seems a lot more bulky. If I could get my current internals (processor, ram, etc.) into the case of this one, I would be one happy camper.

The only drawback, and this is common to Dells, is the terrible screen viewing angle.

Many of my coworkers, who have this version of the laptop, absolutely refuse to upgrade because the design is so perfect.

barkwoot

quality posts: 133 Private Messages barkwoot

I've supported several of these at work. They've all been pretty solid. If I had the $265 burning a hole in my pocket, I'd be all over this deal.

I believe that the worst issue we've had with them is having some hard drives go bad. Those are fairly cheap and easy to replace, if needed.

Narfcake

quality posts: 287 Private Messages Narfcake
wchong4 wrote:I've been waiting for these to hit the shelves as refurbs and off-lease. ...

Given the age of the series, more of these will be out.

Given that it's Woot that's offering the warranty (and in light of recent issues), I can't help but to be weary of the extent of the refurbishing.

namorama

quality posts: 32 Private Messages namorama
wchong4 wrote:I've been waiting for these to hit the shelves as refurbs and off-lease.

Simply put, this is my favorite Dell business laptop, ever.

No doubt. I work with a lot of computers, and these are wonderful to work on. Everything clicks together nicely. One screw gives access to the memory, and not much more for hard drive. It's just about the easiest laptop to maintain.

Now, only if it had the more durable LCD assembly like the later E-series laptops...

Decided my signature is obnoxious.
Have two lines instead.

nucleardrugs

quality posts: 3 Private Messages nucleardrugs

I need a laptop for email and Photoshop. Any recommendations?

outer78

quality posts: 13 Private Messages outer78

lol just bout a 3rd gen i5 lenovo with 6gb of ram for $260 from there outlet. Why would this 1st gen be any better?

Shinespark

quality posts: 32 Private Messages Shinespark

Didn't spring for the WXGA+ panel, though I'm not surprised. Pity.

bilge

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bilge

Hi,

I know some of you are highly knowledgeable about Woot's practices. I thinking about buying this piece but it is not "manufacturer refurbished." I have done some deep search and found out that the reviews for refurbished shopping on Woot are quite mixed. Two questions arise:

1. Has anyone bought a refurbished "Dell" from Woot before?
2. Do you know Woot's supplier for refurbished Dell products?

It is very easy to find a seller refurbished "Dell Latitude E6410," and the price is just about right. But what about the quality?

Thank you in advance.

ychia

quality posts: 2 Private Messages ychia

No integrated webcam? This is probably the first laptop I've seen in 5 years that doesn't have one.

HideOut

quality posts: 0 Private Messages HideOut
ychia wrote:No integrated webcam? This is probably the first laptop I've seen in 5 years that doesn't have one.

Thats cause its at least 5 years old. This is a "first gen" laptop. we are on 4th gen now. This is OLD.

aquinob

quality posts: 0 Private Messages aquinob
HideOut wrote:Thats cause its at least 5 years old. This is a "first gen" laptop. we are on 4th gen now. This is OLD.

Not really, probably between 3-4 years max. This is a fairly good deal. Dell financial services has them for about 420 to 440 with roughly the same specs and a current coupon of 35% off nets about 313 for the same machine (E6410, I5, 250GB, win7pro32). If I hadnt picked up a Precision m4500 from them a few months ago, I'd consider this.

These are business class machines, a step or two up from the consumer grade inspirons. I'll echo the other comments about these being fairly easy to service and pretty robust in their build quality. It has a metal frame and metal top cover. Parts are easy and fairly cheap to by and its not hard to upgrade if you decide to later on. If it doesnt have a backlit keyboard you can add one for about 20 bucks aftermarket. Here is a good review: http://www.notebookreview.com/notebookreview/dell-latitude-e6410-review/

Keep in mind these machines probably sold originally for 1500 to 2000 each and are still better than consumer grade machines selling for over 500 at box stores like BB.

lauriellen

quality posts: 4 Private Messages lauriellen

As I ditched the annoying Windows 8 by gifting my 17.3-inch Gateway (also from Woot) to my (really happy) 12-year-old granddaughter for Christmas, I've been looking for a Windows 7 laptop for $300 or below, so I was happy to see this model and the mostly positive comments. What do you guys think about the Square Trade Plan? I didn't order it; I was just curious what other people think about buying this or other extended warranties. I don't usually buy them, but sometimes opt for them for techy stuff, depending on several factors.

buzzbuzz

quality posts: 3 Private Messages buzzbuzz

Just brought one with 2gb memory off eBay from Dell Financial for $210 before tax. It was for an elderly professor next door. This laptop fits the bill, powerful enough to do some graphic and video and has great and loud speakers (3 on each side). And it is quiet.

eddydy

quality posts: 1 Private Messages eddydy

No HDMI?
No go.

michaelburwell

quality posts: 0 Private Messages michaelburwell

I just need something to back up my iPad. My old used Thinkpad smells moldy and the battery is losing its ooomph. Anything else out there better than this?

corvettejoe

quality posts: 23 Private Messages corvettejoe

We have a ton of the E6400 and 6410's at work we are upgrading from. These will all be recycled for loaner laptops or for part time people in our company. I don't like the hinges on them (vs the older D series and even the newer E series latitudes...they seem flimsier) and they all have a common problem of the heat sink paste goops off over time and needs to be replaced with something better (we are just pulling the entire heat sink assembly out, cleaning it off, applying arctic silver to it and slapping it back in...and dusting them all out too). They've mostly lasted fairly well over the life span of their warranties, but many have overheated and all of them have slightly loose screens. I would hope that a refurbished unit would be cleaned from top to bottom and tightened if resold, such as these...but who's to say.
I work on a LOT of Dell's and these are not my favorite.

jtfaulks

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jtfaulks

What was a $1,200 laptop for $250??? I'm in for three one for each kid.

patersondj

quality posts: 0 Private Messages patersondj

I am using a E6410 model right now.

I have had it for 1 1/2 year. Its working great, but at the 1 year point, I wore out the keyboard, and Dell sent me a new one.

I am a extremely heavy Computer user, and this little work machine just keeps on going.

Extremely happy with this model.

patersondj

quality posts: 0 Private Messages patersondj
patersondj wrote:I am using a E6410 model right now.

I have had it for 1 1/2 year. Its working great, but at the 1 year point, I wore out the keyboard, and Dell sent me a new one.

I am a extremely heavy Computer user, and this little work machine just keeps on going.

Extremely happy with this model.

Don't bother buying the protection plan, Dell is great to work with, and you just don't need it.

radi0j0hn

quality posts: 96 Private Messages radi0j0hn
nucleardrugs wrote:I need a laptop for email and Photoshop. Any recommendations?

It's like asking "I need a car for puttering around town and racing in the Indy 500."

ANY PC will do email. Photoshop will normally require a faster processor, more memory and preferably SEPARATE memory for the graphics module.

So you need to find something good for Photoshop and the email will take care of itself.

acpress.com Not cute, but useful.

dpwellman

quality posts: 8 Private Messages dpwellman

I also have experience using and supporting these models. The build quality is actually quite good. Solid performers just like their Lenovo and HP counterparts. The backlit keyboard is really nice, though.

I offer the following caveats: 1) the power supply (ac adapter) can die without actually dying-- you can still use your laptop, but you'll get a start up warning*. Replace with a genuine Dell power supply. 2) The battery life is middling considering the size of the battery. I averaged around four and a half hours with the 9 cell (wi-fi and bluetooth on continually, running IPSEC "vpn" and Eclipse, with screen at maximum brightness, having 500 GB 7200 RPM HDD, 8 GB RAM).

Comparison models are the Lenovo Thinkpad 410 and Hewlitt Packard Elitebook 8440

* You can disable the warning
Note the following:

Battery Status Lights
If the computer is connected to an electrical outlet, the battery light operates as follows:
l Alternately blinking amber light and blue light — An unauthenticated or unsupported, non-Dell AC adapter is attached to your laptop.
l Alternately blinking amber light with steady blue light — Temporary battery failure with AC adapter present.
l Constantly blinking amber light — Fatal battery failure with AC adapter present.
l Light off — Battery in full charge mode with AC adapter present.
l Blue light on — Battery in charge mode with AC adapter present.

What's the point of a signature? Everyone can see who wrote this, over there, to the left.

tattooedbear

quality posts: 1 Private Messages tattooedbear
michaelburwell wrote:I just need something to back up my iPad. My old used Thinkpad smells moldy and the battery is losing its ooomph. Anything else out there better than this?

This one is better.
http://www.maingear.com/custom/notebooks/pulse17/index.php

barkwoot

quality posts: 133 Private Messages barkwoot

Here are some links to Dell Support for this laptop:

Main Support Page for Latitude E6410

Service Manual for Latitude E6410

The service manual is pretty handy if you ever have to work inside this laptop. If you buy one, I'd highly recommend downloading it.

bjadams44

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bjadams44
outer78 wrote:lol just bout a 3rd gen i5 lenovo with 6gb of ram for $260 from there outlet. Why would this 1st gen be any better?

Wow! Could you post link to that deal? I can't find a refurb i5 for less that $500 on their site.

DrWu

quality posts: 4 Private Messages DrWu
corvettejoe wrote:They've mostly lasted fairly well over the life span of their warranties, but many have overheated

This was the laptop my company provided us with before replacing them with the 6420's and I can confirm, we were plagued with overheating problems in my office.

rgfitz

quality posts: 2 Private Messages rgfitz

Dell Financial Services has been selling these on eBay for some time.

Woot's price is a fair price.

I buy all our family computers from Dell on eBay.

rjgraves

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rjgraves
outer78 wrote:lol just bout a 3rd gen i5 lenovo with 6gb of ram for $260 from there outlet. Why would this 1st gen be any better?

Can you share a link to where you bought it from?

herrmann3

quality posts: 0 Private Messages herrmann3

NO WEBCAM...REALLY...

wenders99

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wenders99

My experience with Woot laptops was not great. The model I ordered came with a HD a third the size of the one I ordered, and it failed to complete the boot after a day. Of course, Woot seemingly has no humans working there, so the "catchy case number" became annoying. I had to stop the payment. Never had a problem with Woot before that experience; don't know if I'd try a laptop from there again.

mysterytrout

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mysterytrout

We used Dells for years and this model in particular. We didn't have the service issues others have mentioned here. all in all everyone was pleased with them - we had hundreds deployed across the country.

So I ordered one just now but am scared to hear of all the refurb problems people are discussing here. I'm an IT guy but don't feel like having to replace a bunch of things right off the bat. We'll see how well they've refurbished them.

amenite

quality posts: 0 Private Messages amenite
mysterytrout wrote:We used Dells for years and this model in particular. We didn't have the service issues others have mentioned here. all in all everyone was pleased with them - we had hundreds deployed across the country.

So I ordered one just now but am scared to hear of all the refurb problems people are discussing here. I'm an IT guy but don't feel like having to replace a bunch of things right off the bat. We'll see how well they've refurbished them.

You take your chances on a refurb it's true but in reality not much moreso than with new. There's a little more risk for alot more reward IMO. My current laptop is a refurb from 6 years ago. the fact that it's a business class unit makes a difference also from my experience.

dgunnels

quality posts: 3 Private Messages dgunnels

No great shakes. Same thing on Amazon for $237.00 (sighhhhhh)

[MOD EDIT: Price on Amazon is for third-party "used" not Refurbished]

josephf31

quality posts: 0 Private Messages josephf31

Because Lenovo is a piece of chinese crap

josephf31

mysterytrout wrote:We used Dells for years and this model in particular. We didn't have the service issues others have mentioned here. all in all everyone was pleased with them - we had hundreds deployed across the country.

"refurbished" generally means cleaned up and an new OS installed. There are not really any worn out parts to be replaced on a used laptop.

josephf31

herrmann3 wrote:NO WEBCAM...REALLY...

It's a BUSINESS class laptop, better built and large corporations have no use for a webcam. If you really need one you can pick one up for under $50 new.