lrgraham14

quality posts: 8 Private Messages lrgraham14

Acer C710-2856 Atom 1.1 GHz 2G 16G 11.6 in Chromebook
Price: $149.99
Shipping Options: $5 Standard or $9 Two-Day or $12 One-Day
Condition: Factory Reconditioned

Comparison Links:
Google Products - Amazon - Previous Woot Sales

Tired of refreshing the page during a wootoff? Save your f5 key by using mywoot.net

lichme

quality posts: 2687 Private Messages lichme

Product Page with video and reviews (Promo vid below)
Lots of reviews on Walmart

wootstalkerbot

quality posts: 7 Private Messages wootstalkerbot

[Preview 1][Preview 2][Preview 3][Preview 4][Preview 5][Preview 6]

Acer C710-2856 Atom 1.1 GHz 2G 16G 11.6 in Chromebook
Price: $149.99
Shipping Options: $5 Standard OR $9 Two-Day OR $12 One-Day
Shipping Estimates: Ships in 1-2 business days (Tuesday, Jan 28 to Wednesday, Jan 29) + transit
Condition: Factory Reconditioned

Buy It Search Amazon Search Google

***Facebook/Twitter notifications enabled***

Woot Tracker | Woot Plus Tracker | Droid App | Chat |Contests | T-Shirt Trade | Derby Stats

dogen83

quality posts: 1 Private Messages dogen83

4.5 stars on Amazon with 30 reviews. Not bad...

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3150 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

Check out this brief overview from pcworld.com

astyanax

quality posts: 2 Private Messages astyanax

I have this laptop, and many, many other chromebooks. It's.....ok, faster than the Samsung ARM chromebook but seems to run a little hot on your lap. It's not nearly as good as the C720 which has much better battery life and a much nicer keyboard layout.

I'd really only buy this if you cant afford the extra $50 for the C720.

stryper2000

quality posts: 22 Private Messages stryper2000

since it is a chromebook, this is good if the majority of your computer use is only web/cloud based and also if you already use Chrome as a browser

I have a CR48(prototype chromebook) so i probably won't be buying another chromebook for awhilte

The Craphound of Woot

Antagonist of Sellbuyer92 , I sniped his Basket Of Checkers

x36

sperzel

quality posts: 1 Private Messages sperzel

what about using a wireless keyboard and mouse (wifi/bt? much like a docked pc.

teknickle

quality posts: 1 Private Messages teknickle

I bought one of these a couple months ago off eBay straight from Acer for $129.
(except instead of the 16GB SSD, it was a 320GB harddrive)

ChromeOS is ok for 'everything in the cloud' and anyone who thinks that is all they are good for is NOT a technical user..at all.

The first thing I did with mine was to load chrubuntu Linux on it. (Ubuntu distribution specifically for chromebooks). I could multibook back into ChromeOS (and I did a couple of times).
As a Linux laptop, I loaded it with boatloads of free software (RDP client, GiMP, Audacity, VLC, browsers, terminal emulators, etc etc).
Very lightweight, so I would take it into wiring closets instead of my Macbook or PC based laptops.
Someone else really wanted it, so I gave that to them.
I will definitely be picking up another.

DrChops

quality posts: 20 Private Messages DrChops
sperzel wrote:what about using a wireless keyboard and mouse (wifi/bt? much like a docked pc.

Yeah, that's totally doable.. Despite what MS would have you believe these are actually REAL laptops .

3 USB ports, so it's more than capable of supporting USB wireless keyboard/mouse.

From what I remember regarding the bluetooth, the hardware is there but the software isn't..? Don't trust me on that though.
Either way, spend $2 on a bluetooth donglena and problem solved.

Petey Thaseatesmyne

eklebau

quality posts: 0 Private Messages eklebau
teknickle wrote:I bought one of these a couple months ago off eBay straight from Acer for $129.

ChromeOS is ok for 'everything in the cloud' and anyone who thinks that is all they are good for is NOT a technical user..at all.

The first thing I did with mine was to load chrubuntu Linux on it. (Ubuntu distribution specifically for chromebooks). I could multibook back into ChromeOS (and I did a couple of times).
As a Linux laptop, I loaded it with boatloads of free software (RDP client, GiMP, Audacity, VLC, browsers, terminal emulators, etc etc).
Very lightweight, so I would take it into wiring closets instead of my Macbook or PC based laptops.

I bought one from the same place you did I think. Please point me in the right direction to do exactly what you did. Will it let you boot from something hooked up to the usb? I can't seem to find a bios setup or anything at all.

DrChops

quality posts: 20 Private Messages DrChops

Here are the processor benchmarks for those curious (heh)..
http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Celeron+847+%40+1.10GHz

You will all likely be very surprised to hear that the 1.10GHz CELERON didn't fair incredibly well..
(Higher is better)

It got a:

By comparison the
Acer Aspire V5 ($299 on Woot) got:

And the Pavilion TouchSmart 11-E015DX ($329 on Woot) got:

(And just for the sake of totally disproptionate comparison's, the HP ENVY ($799 on Woot) got a 7,949)

Petey Thaseatesmyne

wchong4

quality posts: 12 Private Messages wchong4

I have the non-SSD version.

Overall, good.

Terrible keyboard, though. Shallow keys and no tactile feedback.

Surprising plug and play capability. Works with external peripherals, and I even got it to work with a USB probe scope that needs proprietary drivers on Windows. I plugged it in and opened up the "Camera" app and was able to see the picture just fine.

VIDEOSENSATIONS

quality posts: 4 Private Messages VIDEOSENSATIONS

Bought one from groupon before Xmas. For 129
Came a month later with a broken screen daughter was real happy Xmas eve
Took a month to get a refund
Ordered one from 1daysale.com on jan 5 still haven't seen it yet says will be here by February 3 so another month
Laptop is ok bit if you really want one save your pennies and buy a used laptop for 200 and get more out of it

lolamarya

quality posts: 2 Private Messages lolamarya

Don't buy this expecting to use a Citrix desktop on it. Citrix receiver is downloadable, but I have received more than one call from a not-so-happy doctor who bought one of these thinking he would be able to log into Citrix and walk around the hospital with a light laptop. For some reason, iOS and Android tablets operate with Citrix much better than the Chromebooks.

cardan

quality posts: 1 Private Messages cardan
astyanax wrote:I have this laptop, and many, many other chromebooks. It's.....ok, faster than the Samsung ARM chromebook but seems to run a little hot on your lap. It's not nearly as good as the C720 which has much better battery life and a much nicer keyboard layout.

I'd really only buy this if you cant afford the extra $50 for the C720.

I completely Agree, I just bought a C720 at best buy using some rewards points.. I paid $170 5 days ago.

I STRONGLY suggest you skip the 710, it is essentially an end of life model, the 720 Has a newer generation Intel chip that adds 2 hours of battery and a ton better performance. I was excited to see this woot, but I would not buy this unless it was going for about $100

glinness

quality posts: 2 Private Messages glinness
teknickle wrote:I bought one of these a couple months ago off eBay straight from Acer for $129.

Yeah, okay, but you had 320 GB to burn, this has only the 16 GB and no microSD port to pick up the slack, though I suppose the USB port might carry some of the load. I'm thinking I'll have to be happy with ChromeOS right out of the gate to go this route, which I probably will be, at least I like my Chrome tablet just fine.

cardan

glinness wrote:Yeah, okay, but you had 320 GB to burn, this has only the 16 GB and no microSD port to pick up the slack, though I suppose the USB port might carry some of the load. I'm thinking I'll have to be happy with ChromeOS right out of the gate to go this route, which I probably will be, at least I like my Chrome tablet just fine.

Local storage is mostly a non issue.. the HDD based one has very poor battery life.. Google gives you free 100GB of Google drive for 2 years, and it has very tight integration with the OS.. I have tried various USB drives and they all work as well.. So getting to external data is very easy, and a 16 or 32 GB thumb drive is very inexpensive. In fact you can watch movies offline by doing just that with a thumb drive..

cardan

lolamarya wrote:Don't buy this expecting to use a Citrix desktop on it. Citrix receiver is downloadable, but I have received more than one call from a not-so-happy doctor who bought one of these thinking he would be able to log into Citrix and walk around the hospital with a light laptop. For some reason, iOS and Android tablets operate with Citrix much better than the Chromebooks.

CCIA Here, You need to enable HTML 5 receiver on the Storefront server.. Therefore Citrix build must be XD 7.X (7.5 is or will be announced very soon).

This requires a lot of stuff that old Citrix did not.. probably 3% of our client base has this in place.. but point is Citrix will work great once they are upgraded.. The native Chromeos experience will actually be better then my Ipad due to built in Keyboard and mouse..

Lord John Whorfin

quality posts: 26 Private Messages Lord John Whorfin

Got a 320GB model for Chubuntu, it's an adequate upgrade for a Linux Atom netbook (better screen, less sluggish processor, easy 1-screw access to everything, RAM upgradeable to 16GB, upgradeable HD...).
Mine had an apparently common problem where the trackpad won't track unless you're touching the chassis, and the power supply had an issue, so I'm not too impressed by the manufacturing quality, even at this price.
I can't imagine how anybody could find ChromeOS usable, but it takes all kinds I suppose.
Would I buy this again? The 320GB model for under $130, definitely. The 16GB SSD model at $155 + tax? No way.

glfaholic

quality posts: 1 Private Messages glfaholic

Can anyone tell me how easy these are to connect to unfamiliar free wifi? Thinking about getting one for my mother but she has a hard time understanding how to connect to wifi. Like can a trained monkey connect to wifi on one of these?

morninglark

quality posts: 22 Private Messages morninglark
glfaholic wrote:Can anyone tell me how easy these are to connect to unfamiliar free wifi? Thinking about getting one for my mother but she has a hard time understanding how to connect to wifi. Like can a trained monkey connect to wifi on one of these?

If the trained monkey knows the password. :-)

And show more respect for your mother, as a 50+ woman whose first career was computer maintenance and repair (mainframes) I suspect you haven't figured out how to explain it to her in her terms. Try using analogies to connect it to something she already knows and don't pretend it's even remotely complex on a user level.

For example, Mom you keep your front door locked right? We'll, your wifi connection is the door that opens onto the internet and since there's a bunch of bad and good people there, we want to keep our wifi door locked and only open it (using the password) for when we want go outside on the web.

The type of wifi connection she has is something she doesn't need to know-- just as I don't know who manufactures the lock on my door.

Sorry if I am over sensitive to this older people don't understand electronics crap--I get it every time I go to the store to shop for electronics--and I usually know more than the kid talking down to me.

littlebrother2

quality posts: 1 Private Messages littlebrother2

I've got one of these and i think its a GREAT 'puter..not too small,lightweight,i can use it in bed while my wife is sleeping..took a while to get used to GOOGLE CHROME but it wasen't as bad as figuring out WINDOWS 7!battery lasts like 3 hours too.i'd recommend one of these (and have) to anyone..

ksmholdings

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ksmholdings

Nice. Thx.

You will all likely be very surprised to hear that the 1.10GHz CELERON didn't fair incredibly well..
(Higher is better)

It got a:

By comparison the
Acer Aspire V5 ($299 on Woot) got:

And the Pavilion TouchSmart 11-E015DX ($329 on Woot) got:

(And just for the sake of totally disproptionate comparison's, the HP ENVY ($799 on Woot) got a 7,949)[/quote]

ksmholdings

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ksmholdings

Awesome reply

And show more respect for your mother, as a 50+ woman whose first career was computer maintenance and repair (mainframes) I suspect you haven't figured out how to explain it to her in her terms. Try using analogies to connect it to something she already knows and don't pretend it's even remotely complex on a user level.

For example, Mom you keep your front door locked right? We'll, your wifi connection is the door that opens onto the internet and since there's a bunch of bad and good people there, we want to keep our wifi door locked and only open it (using the password) for when we want go outside on the web.

The type of wifi connection she has is something she doesn't need to know-- just as I don't know who manufactures the lock on my door.

Sorry if I am over sensitive to this older people don't understand electronics crap--I get it every time I go to the store to shop for electronics--and I usually know more than the kid talking down to me.[/quote]

KellyS91709

quality posts: 0 Private Messages KellyS91709

Ty for the comparison, I have even seen the windows tablet w/ attaching keyboard for $300. It seems like it would be worth the extra money!

clanecks

quality posts: 16 Private Messages clanecks
littlebrother2 wrote:I've got one of these and i think its a GREAT 'puter..not too small,lightweight,i can use it in bed while my wife is sleeping..took a while to get used to GOOGLE CHROME but it wasen't as bad as figuring out WINDOWS 7!battery lasts like 3 hours too.i'd recommend one of these (and have) to anyone..

I sincerely hope that your post was intended to be satirical.

I am not responsible for this post.

robbieglen

quality posts: 0 Private Messages robbieglen

Got three of them for Christmas for grandchildren (7, 7, 9). First computers and they're doing just fine. As the family IT person (even tho I'm 70+, respect for the student is paramount! think they're stupid and they won't learn much. Meet her where she is (not in the monkey cage) explain it in her terms of reference and get her a small spiral bound book to record the passwords. (I have literally tied my to my desk). These things are fun, easy, simple and necessary.

radi0j0hn

quality posts: 93 Private Messages radi0j0hn
ksmholdings wrote:
Sorry if I am over sensitive to this older people don't understand electronics crap--I get it every time I go to the store to shop for electronics--and I usually know more than the kid talking down to me.

[/quote]

Hey, the folks you are addressing also think they are the first to discover music, booze and sex: All stuff that anyone over 50 never knew about.

acpress.com Not cute, but useful.

radi0j0hn

quality posts: 93 Private Messages radi0j0hn

For folks who are concerned about privacy, how much is Google learning about your life when you use the stock, unmodified OS?

I ask because I use a Firefox add-on called "self-destructing cookies" that allows cookies to be placed, then erases them. Last night, I was watching a movie on Netflix and Google placed a cookie on my machine.

Who cares about the NSA when there are up to 18 trackers watching you...there are five right now watching as I type this!

acpress.com Not cute, but useful.

asmithdev

quality posts: 0 Private Messages asmithdev

This can easily be a cheap Ubuntu development laptop or whatever you want to do, I actually have an i5 chromebox and upgraded the default chrubuntu script to make it much more feature complete, anyone who is interested is free to use it.

https://github.com/austinksmith/fixmyserver

drthomasho

quality posts: 0 Private Messages drthomasho

Chrome TABLET?

glinness wrote:Yeah, okay, but you had 320 GB to burn, this has only the 16 GB and no microSD port to pick up the slack, though I suppose the USB port might carry some of the load. I'm thinking I'll have to be happy with ChromeOS right out of the gate to go this route, which I probably will be, at least I like my Chrome tablet just fine.

woottoady

quality posts: 33 Private Messages woottoady

Is the SSD standard laptop size/connector/replaceable? I have a spare 500GB SSD that I could upfit this unit with.

Do HD videos (720p+)play smoothly on this?

bigfrank

quality posts: 10 Private Messages bigfrank

I have one of the first Samsung Chromebooks. I love it it has a long battery life and super light so I can carry around all day. At first I did not want Google knowing my every move. But I am able to pick up pages on every computer because of the history tracking. This Acer has much better specs not to mention it is $100 less than what I paid. GREAT DEAL

join me in the hot tub at www.bigfrankshottub.com

hurrifred2002

quality posts: 1 Private Messages hurrifred2002

The seventy and eighty year old generation invented computers. We also discovered Rock and Roll!

labyrinthia

quality posts: 14 Private Messages labyrinthia

I have one (I'm typing on it right now :p ) and I like it. There certainly are things you cannot do on it, but it works well for how I use computers (primarily for typing, browsing, watching videos, and doing school work). You need a cloud based printer if you want to print directly off of it. The battery life is the biggest downside. You do need a wifi connection to do almost anything on it, as chrome OS is a glorified browser. I have a couple games, plus the word processor, that work offline. It's also held up well to some abuse from the children.

I just bought a second, for my mom. It really just depends on how you use computers if this will or won't work for you. Obviously, if you want a gaming machine, this isn't going to work ;) .

drthomasho

We also invented the Internet:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ARPANET

take that Al Gore! ;-)

hurrifred2002 wrote:The seventy and eighty year old generation invented computers. We also discovered Rock and Roll!

dll2k4

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dll2k4

As others have stated, skip this one and get the C720 instead. I got my refurbed C720-2800 (4GB/16GB model) from the Acer Outlet on amazon.com for $189 shipped. The Acer Outlet on the Web's top auction site also frequently lists the same model for $189.

After my 90 day warranty is up I'll probably drop in a 128GB SSD (MyDigitalSSD SC2 6G M.2 NGFF) and add Ubuntu.

drthomasho

Battery is an issue ONLY IF you're comparing the Chromebook to your tablet or phone. My Chromebook's battery lasts much longer than any laptop I have ever owned!

labyrinthia wrote:I have one (I'm typing on it right now :p ) and I like it. There certainly are things you cannot do on it, but it works well for how I use computers (primarily for typing, browsing, watching videos, and doing school work). You need a cloud based printer if you want to print directly off of it. The battery life is the biggest downside. You do need a wifi connection to do almost anything on it, as chrome OS is a glorified browser. I have a couple games, plus the word processor, that work offline. It's also held up well to some abuse from the children.

I just bought a second, for my mom. It really just depends on how you use computers if this will or won't work for you. Obviously, if you want a gaming machine, this isn't going to work ;) .