Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

wootstalkerbot

quality posts: 13 Private Messages wootstalkerbot

HP Quad-Core Desktop with 2TB HD
Price: $399.99
Shipping Options: $5 Standard
Shipping Estimates: Ships in 3-5 business days (Wednesday, Feb 05 to Monday, Feb 10) + transit
Condition: Factory Reconditioned

Buy It Search Amazon Search Google

Previous Similar Sales (May not be exact model)
1/15/2014 - $429.99 (Woot-off) - 10 comment(s)
1/13/2014 - $429.99 - 23 comment(s)

12/10/2013 - $399.99 (Woot Plus)
8/12/2013 - $399.99 (Woot Plus)
8/12/2013 - $419.99 (Woot Plus)

***Facebook/Twitter notifications enabled***

Woot Tracker | Woot Plus Tracker | Droid App | Chat |Contests | T-Shirt Trade | Derby Stats

lichme

quality posts: 2848 Private Messages lichme

arkansized

quality posts: 10 Private Messages arkansized

Is there HP bloatware on the machine?

Pottsville, Arkansas. Conveniently located on I-40 halfway between New York and Los Angeles.

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3465 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

Time to check out the product page and let's learn all about USB 3.0

kamikazewave

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kamikazewave

The A8 is two years old tech, but it still runs pretty well.

For those of you that don't know, AMD's A series APUs are a combination CPU and GPU (processor and graphics card).

What this means is that this can run games and other video intensive stuff at a decent level without having to buy a separate graphics card.

I built my own A8 based computer 2.5 years ago, and it's still running fine. You might not be able to run newer games at 1900 x 1080 especially if the game wasn't optimized properly, but most games are fine.

Edit: No idea if this is a good deal or not. Haven't been keeping up with hardware prices. Just wanted to let you guys know that the A series is a fantastic piece of work.

mikesuszek

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mikesuszek
kamikazewave wrote:The A8 is two years old tech, but it still runs pretty well.

For those of you that don't know, AMD's A series APUs are a combination CPU and GPU (processor and graphics card).

What this means is that this can run games and other video intensive stuff at a decent level without having to buy a separate graphics card.

I built my own A8 based computer 2.5 years ago, and it's still running fine. You might not be able to run newer games at 1900 x 1080 especially if the game wasn't optimized properly, but most games are fine.

Edit: No idea if this is a good deal or not. Haven't been keeping up with hardware prices. Just wanted to let you guys know that the A series is a fantastic piece of work.

I'm not a PC expert at all

So if I wanted to do more than what this offers, I can still upgrade the graphics/video card, yes? And if I'm considering that, is it even worth buying this, or can I do better at a reasonable price?

mase123987

quality posts: 2 Private Messages mase123987
mikesuszek wrote:I'm not a PC expert at all

So if I wanted to do more than what this offers, I can still upgrade the graphics/video card, yes? And if I'm considering that, is it even worth buying this, or can I do better at a reasonable price?

Upgrading to a solid video card would require you to upgrade the PSU as well ($50-$100). This is assuming HP used a standard sized PSU.

Strom

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Strom

Bought one of these in late September (http://tech.woot.com/offers/quad-core-desktop-w-10gb-ram). Motherboard died two days after the 90 day warranty ended. It seemed to work well, but definitely disappointed with the longevity.

TheTexasTwister

quality posts: 11 Private Messages TheTexasTwister

This just in:

Despite having comfortably reached their hotel, the Seattle Seahawks have scored another touchdown.

The Denver Broncos are wondering why the Superbowl didn't have a reset button like the Xbox 360.

And Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones is reported to have said: "See, eight is not so bad."

BTW, I prefer a separate video card myself. Just saying.

emccoyii

quality posts: 7 Private Messages emccoyii
arkansized wrote:Is there HP bloatware on the machine?

It's an HP, isn't it?

1800callatt

quality posts: 2 Private Messages 1800callatt

I got one of these sort of things from woot nearly a year ago for about $150 more: http://www.woot.com/offers/hp-quad-core-desktop-w-12gb-ddr3-2

I've been pretty happy with it. Hasn't crapped out yet, nor shown any signs of doing so. For anyone wondering about the case and stock components, it's not terrible news!

-The case and board are both microATX. One PCI-e x16 means you can put in only one graphics card. I put in a Radeon HD 7850 which performs well. If you go this route try not to get anything with a massive cooler on it. My card is JUST short of overlapping the RAM levers.

-It needs a new power supply if you want a new graphics card in it. I was able to fit a 700W ATX power supply in mine with no problem. That's overkill though. It was on sale, okay?

-Your RAM will likely be 2 x 4GB. I didn't have high hopes that HP would distribute my 12GB in a way that would make upgrading easy, but sure enough, 1x8 and 1x4. Refreshing to see.

I bought this because I'm lazy. Building a PC from scratch has its benefits (mostly price), but I really don't miss the part where you spend a day elbow deep in computer guts.

lorenzodemedici

quality posts: 36 Private Messages lorenzodemedici

I remember looking at this machine previously. You can't do any better than this for $400. Yes, it has expansion slots including one for a video card. There are some low power video cards that will work fine in this computer with the power supply that it comes with. If you were building a high end gaming computer, you wouldn't start with this as a beginning anyway. There's nothing extra on this computer but there's everything the average user would need for ordinary typical computer tasks. It's a mom and pop family friendly computer. It's not an awesome kick ass screaming machine. Those cost a lot more than $400. The video card in those costs $400.
Anyway, for someone who wants a Honda Civic type computer that gets the job done for not much money, this is a good purchase. All gamers and power users please refrain from gratuitous and sarcastic replies.

nesfel

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nesfel

20% off of the regular price ($500) for a refurb/reconditioned model doesn't sound like a good deal. You only get a 90 day warranty instead of the regular full year. Come on woot, you can do much better!

tonyhubb

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tonyhubb

Assume description should say 2TB SATA hard drive!, not "Pavillion - 2GB SATA hard drive!"

[[MOD: All fixed. Thanks!]

R&D

quality posts: 2 Private Messages R&D

DO NOT BUY THIS COMPUTER. I purchased one and like a previous poster, the Mother Board died. Luckily, mine was dead right out of the box. Even so, It was a nightmare to deal with the Woot Staff and the HP Help Desk. I got the run-around for nearly 4 weeks and after hours of troubleshooting (when I told the HP folks the Mother Board was bad) and new hard drive and installation of new memory chips, I shipped the computer back to Woot. If your computer is bad, Woot will only give you a refund. HP Help Desk in the Phillipines was TERRIBLE.

DaveFarmington

quality posts: 0 Private Messages DaveFarmington

Sister in law bought same (except new, not refurb) for $349 at Costco early January and had me set it up for her. They of course include 2 year warranty instead of 90 days. Not too much bloatware, removed Norton, Office pre-installs.

mikeeyram

quality posts: 4 Private Messages mikeeyram

Can agree with that, woot customer service is non-existent for me. Placed an order for 3 items on Jan 22, 2 item shipped/delivered, the 3rd item however never shipped, no reply from customer service..a WEEK later. Have to file a complaint with my credit card company to get my money back, PayPal in this case.

[MOD: I'm sorry for the delayed response. I'll email CS to let them know of your concerns. Thank you for your patience.]

bluemaple

quality posts: 76 Private Messages bluemaple
tonyhubb wrote:Assume description should say 2TB SATA hard drive!, not "Pavillion - 2GB SATA hard drive!"

@Ringo4422, ignore everything over in that lower left section of the page - the entirety of writings in that spot are covered by "journalistic license". ;-)

derek0001

quality posts: 0 Private Messages derek0001

Is anyone geek enough to know if the AMD A8-6500 will support an ESXi-5.x install? I know it will need more RAM, I just can't find anything indicating if the chip can handle it. Thanks

Lagirl0221

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Lagirl0221

I'm looking for a basic pc for Internet browsing, running word & Excel, storing pics & kids school work. (No gaming). I have a huge issue with dealing with a slow pc. Will this computer work for me without being slow?

bluemaple

Lagirl0221 wrote:I'm looking for a basic pc for Internet browsing, running word & Excel, storing pics & kids school work. (No gaming). I have a huge issue with dealing with a slow pc. Will this computer work for me without being slow?

@Lagirl0221, 'can't speak to whether it will work but if it does work (comments about refurb failures of these above), it should perform plenty snappy enough for the functions you list.

It does seem to be over-priced by about $50-75 tho.

mr88talent

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mr88talent
derek0001 wrote:Is anyone geek enough to know if the AMD A8-6500 will support an ESXi-5.x install? I know it will need more RAM, I just can't find anything indicating if the chip can handle it. Thanks

I can tell you that after a week of trying, I could not get this PC to boot to EXSI 5.5. I had to restore Windows 8 (make sure you create restore disks), install Vmware Player and install EXSI in that. Even at that, it crashes. The Artheros NIC card is not in the standard EXSI build either, so you have to create a custom ISO.

Lagirl0221

bluemaple wrote:@Lagirl0221, 'can't speak to whether it will work but if it does work (comments about refurb failures of these above), it should perform plenty snappy enough for the functions you list.

It does seem to be over-priced by about $50-75 tho.

Thanks so much @bluemaple ! Any suggestions on what I should get? Refurbish comments making me nervous.

mikeashe

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mikeashe

Did anyone else catch that they misspelled Pavilion a dozen or so times in the description? Pavilion has only 1 "L", not 2. (Luckily, HP got it right on the emblem on the box itself!)

spacelunatic

quality posts: 4 Private Messages spacelunatic
Lagirl0221 wrote:Thanks so much @bluemaple ! Any suggestions on what I should get? Refurbish comments making me nervous.

chiming in to say I've got a couple HP refurbs over the past few years and both haven't given me a bit of trouble. They are just fine for Internet, MS Office work and basic gaming. As others have said for higher end gaming you can put in a new video card & possibly new power supply depending on the video card's demands.

I stopped building my own from scratch, I just buy one of these and do the above upgrading for gaming. The parts alone would cost me this much.

Sarisin

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Sarisin

I bought this computer from Woot about a year ago for, I think, $50 or $100 more. I thought it was a good deal for a machine I use just for internet browsing, email, downloads, streaming, and light gaming (I have a separate gaming rig). I had looked at a lot of PCs and settled on this one.

I have to say it has not disappointed me at all. I use it daily for the things mentioned and have not had a problem. I did reinstall Win 8.1 as it needed a fresh drive and it handled that fine.

I would recommend this computer as a good deal for someone looking for the things I mentioned. I had no problems with delivery/setup from Woot by the way.

FezMonkey

quality posts: 2 Private Messages FezMonkey
Strom wrote:Bought one of these in late September (http://tech.woot.com/offers/quad-core-desktop-w-10gb-ram). Motherboard died two days after the 90 day warranty ended. It seemed to work well, but definitely disappointed with the longevity.

Ah yes ... HP continues it's run of excellence!

bluemaple

Lagirl0221 wrote:Thanks so much @bluemaple ! Any suggestions on what I should get? Refurbish comments making me nervous.

@Lagirl0221, I do some tech support on the side. I do not believe HP PCs to be any worse (or better) than others. We have several veteran HP desktops running very happily in our home. I was simply relaying the experience of others above.

Personally, when I am not confident of ease of return, I prefer a local vendor for refurbs or off-lease computers. Refurbs and off-lease computers can be great buys - nothing wrong with them in principle.

It would seem that Woot could improve its volume by providing more cooperative return of defective merchandise... but note that there might be lots of happy customers who easily returned stuff - we might be seeing the exceptions here. (Not that it excuses their mistreatment.)

One thing to consider, tho, I'd avoid all slimline (small cases) desktop PCs no matter who makes them.

I see more of them with failed power supplies than full size desktops. A failed power supply can also fry other components. And those compact power supplies are often proprietary, more difficult to find, and more expensive.

Lagirl0221

Thank so much for the input!

spacelunatic wrote:chiming in to say I've got a couple HP refurbs over the past few years and both haven't given me a bit of trouble. They are just fine for Internet, MS Office work and basic gaming. As others have said for higher end gaming you can put in a new video card & possibly new power supply depending on the video card's demands.

I stopped building my own from scratch, I just buy one of these and do the above upgrading for gaming. The parts alone would cost me this much.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 564 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

Hey all, cleaned out the comments on the pros/cons of LifeSmart heaters since this is .... a computer.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

billthegunowner

quality posts: 15 Private Messages billthegunowner
lorenzodemedici wrote:I remember looking at this machine previously. You can't do any better than this for $400. Yes, it has expansion slots including one for a video card. There are some low power video cards that will work fine in this computer with the power supply that it comes with. If you were building a high end gaming computer, you wouldn't start with this as a beginning anyway. There's nothing extra on this computer but there's everything the average user would need for ordinary typical computer tasks. It's a mom and pop family friendly computer. It's not an awesome kick ass screaming machine. Those cost a lot more than $400. The video card in those costs $400.
Anyway, for someone who wants a Honda Civic type computer that gets the job done for not much money, this is a good purchase. All gamers and power users please refrain from gratuitous and sarcastic replies.

I'm looking for a Ford Focus type of computer, will this work?

Bill

vanevenhoven

quality posts: 22 Private Messages vanevenhoven

TT, I can't post to any other forums, and I can PM anyone, and all my emails and/ or form requests to CS do is get new case numbers. Can you help? One of my case numbers goes back 10 months and I have no way to contact anyone.

SenorBag

quality posts: 0 Private Messages SenorBag

It's spelled "Pavilion".

jmackinac

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jmackinac
ThunderThighs wrote:Hey all, cleaned out the comments on the pros/cons of LifeSmart heaters since this is .... a computer.

As well as deleting my post which said NOTHING about Lifesmart heaters and was 50% critical of Woot CS and was 50% defending Woot CS.

[MOD: Sorry. ]

p010ne

quality posts: 3 Private Messages p010ne

My order #xxxxxx for HP Quad-Core Desktop with 1.5TB HD now points to this offer when I click on stuff I bought! Does that mean that this HP Pavilion 500-164 Desktop, AMD A8-6500, 8GB DDR3, 2TB HDD, USB 3.0, 802.11n, Win 8 will be my item?

Eighter from Decatur, county seat of Wise (of course it's in Texas)

ThunderThighs

Staff

p010ne wrote:My order #xxxxxx for HP Quad-Core Desktop with 1.5TB HD now points to this offer when I click on stuff I bought! Does that mean that this HP Pavilion 500-164 Desktop, AMD A8-6500, 8GB DDR3, 2TB HDD, USB 3.0, 802.11n, Win 8 will be my item?

Your order shows that you purchased this item from Moofi.

FORUM MODERATOR
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

ThunderThighs

Staff

vanevenhoven wrote:TT, I can't post to any other forums, and I can PM anyone, and all my emails and/ or form requests to CS do is get new case numbers. Can you help? One of my case numbers goes back 10 months and I have no way to contact anyone.

There's no reason on our end for you not being able to post. You might log out & log back in. You can send me a PM with more info. Case numbers are extremely helpful.

To PM me, click on the envelope next to my name in this post. To view your private messages, click on the envelope to the right of the Everything But Woot tab.

FORUM MODERATOR

p010ne

quality posts: 3 Private Messages p010ne
ThunderThighs wrote:Your order shows that you purchased this item from Moofi.

OK, looks like the link has been corrected! I suppose either computer is ok!

Eighter from Decatur, county seat of Wise (of course it's in Texas)

cycokiller

quality posts: 6 Private Messages cycokiller
mase123987 wrote:Upgrading to a solid video card would require you to upgrade the PSU as well ($50-$100).

That depends entirely on the upgraded video card. There are some that would require additional power, and some that would not that still greatly outperform the integrated video.

4F682120446F6E277420746F756368206D652074686572652100