zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

wootstalkerbot

quality posts: 10 Private Messages wootstalkerbot

[Preview 1][Preview 2][Preview 3][Preview 4][Preview 5][Preview 6][Preview 7]

Gear Pro 720p or 1080p Sport Action Cam
Price: $39.99 - 59.99
Shipping Options: $5 Standard
Shipping Estimates: Ships in 3-5 business days (Wednesday, Feb 12 to Monday, Feb 17) + transit
Condition: New

Buy It Search Amazon Search Google

***Facebook/Twitter notifications enabled***

Woot Tracker | Woot Plus Tracker | Droid App | Chat |Contests | T-Shirt Trade | Derby Stats

ScottFromWyoming

quality posts: 11 Private Messages ScottFromWyoming

lol "Gear" pro? Never heard of it. I wonder if these are on Woot because of lawyers.

w3kn

quality posts: 8 Private Messages w3kn

Link to previous Woot for the 720p Version:

http://www.woot.com/forums/viewpost.aspx?postid=5604084

79 woots and counting!

lichme

quality posts: 2734 Private Messages lichme

Check out the 720 on a ROFLcopter

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3284 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

Some videos for your viewing pleasure

LordBling

quality posts: 4 Private Messages LordBling
lichme wrote:Check out the 720 on a ROFLcopter

ENEMY UAV SPOTTED

Nekosdad

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Nekosdad

Okay help me out geek peeps (no disrespect intended)..720 has all the bells & whistles (Velcro strap & helmet strap), the 1080 does NOT:-( I want the strap's! what kind of picture quality difference am I looking at if I go with the cheaper one that has all the bells & whistles & extras? VERY ODD that the cheaper one has more and the 1080 higher priced one has only one lousy mount that looks like you can't really wear it when your doing a run, all you can do is attach it or mount it to something...Thanks in advance...

Nekosdad

wmanalu

quality posts: 1 Private Messages wmanalu

Where can I purchase head mount for this camera? Will the one for GoPro work for this camera?

raizor

quality posts: 0 Private Messages raizor

ordered 3 last time they came available. 2 dead out of the box, 3rd won't stay on. Gave up trying to deal with getting them replaced. Gear pro almost impossible to contact. Beware, as will all electronics on woot anymore.

wmanalu

quality posts: 1 Private Messages wmanalu

I went for the 1080 for 1 reason:

remote control

Nekosdad wrote:Okay help me out geek peeps (no disrespect intended)..720 has all the bells & whistles (Velcro strap & helmet strap), the 1080 does NOT:-( I want the strap's! what kind of picture quality difference am I looking at if I go with the cheaper one that has all the bells & whistles & extras? VERY ODD that the cheaper one has more and the 1080 higher priced one has only one lousy mount that looks like you can't really wear it when your doing a run, all you can do is attach it or mount it to something...Thanks in advance...

Pony99CA

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Pony99CA

How well will these work as dashboard cameras, especially at night? And, if you've tried them in a '99 Mustang, I'd love to hear how you mounted it.

neller0414

quality posts: 0 Private Messages neller0414
wmanalu wrote:I went for the 1080 for 1 reason:

remote control

I 100% agree with this. Plus look at the pics of what comes with each...all you're really missing in the 1080 is the "shield" which is pointless now that they have a remote (on 720p you can't use touch screen in waterproof case), the car charger which is also no big deal, and the helmet strap....but you still get the helmet mount. If a strap really isn't included, I'm sure you can figure something out.

I bought the 720p last time it was on here. It lasted about 20 minutes, not a fault to GoPro...it's because I had it mounted on my boat's wakeboard tower and the first time we were using it somebody on my boat accidentally threw it in the drink when our own wave hit the side of the boat while circling back to me, the rider in the water. Why did he do this? Because in order to get any decent actual ride time on HD video, he was opening the case every time the rider went down to pause the camera, because there's no other way to pause or play. It just so happens the wave hit the boat right as he was taking the camera out of the case.

Moral of my story....the remote is invaluable, as I would still have the old one if it had a remote, most likely. Plus for me it's especially a no brainer since I still have all those other accessories in the old box lol! Go for the 1080p.

ChrisW6ATV

quality posts: 2 Private Messages ChrisW6ATV

Does anyone know what format(s) can be used on the memory card? A friend has one of these or a similar GoPro knockoff, and its memory card can only use the FAT32 format. That limits the video files to 2GB or 4GB, not very long for 1080P video.

bigruckus

quality posts: 2 Private Messages bigruckus
raizor wrote:ordered 3 last time they came available. 2 dead out of the box, 3rd won't stay on. Gave up trying to deal with getting them replaced. Gear pro almost impossible to contact. Beware, as will all electronics on woot anymore.

Funny thing is I ordered 2 of these and it took me over a month to get my money back from WOOT..I ordered these then I thought they were GP PRO cameras..my fault…I then tried to cancel my ordered within 10 minutes after I ordered them…good luck trying to do that…I ended using my PayPal card and had to file a complaint to get my money back…the cameras are junk as I can see reading the comments..

Bigruckus

jayrandom

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jayrandom

There seems to be some confusion. This is not a GoPro camera, it's a cheap knock off. Reviews on Amazon seem to be bimodal--with lots of 1 star reviews--never a good sign.

http://www.amazon.com/Gear-Pro-High-Definition-Action-Wide-Angle-Camcorder/dp/B008JFS5W8

jtfaulks

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jtfaulks
Nekosdad wrote:Okay help me out geek peeps (no disrespect intended)..720 has all the bells & whistles (Velcro strap & helmet strap), the 1080 does NOT:-( I want the strap's! what kind of picture quality difference am I looking at if I go with the cheaper one that has all the bells & whistles & extras? VERY ODD that the cheaper one has more and the 1080 higher priced one has only one lousy mount that looks like you can't really wear it when your doing a run, all you can do is attach it or mount it to something...Thanks in advance...

BY the time you edit, and compress for youtube? 720 = 1080 all day long.

sflorack

quality posts: 5 Private Messages sflorack
jayrandom wrote:There seems to be some confusion. This is not a GoPro camera, it's a cheap knock off.

Who is confused? No one in the comments above is...

Jonas4321

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Jonas4321
sflorack wrote:Who is confused? No one in the comments above is...

Seems at least one person read the comments... Neller0414 referred to it as a GoPro. Gear Pro is definitely chosen to confuse people into buying.

No Advertisement Here
That's why I haven't made thousands of posts...

bulldurhamm

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bulldurhamm

Piece of crap.... I bought 3 and one does not work. Found out after woots 21 day warranty. They took almost 2 weeks to even answer. The company they sold for required me to ship it with 15 bucks to repair. It never worked and within 60 days I had to put 20 bucks in to it. Poor company woot sold for. Poor customer service from woot.

bulldurhamm

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bulldurhamm

A good sign you should not buy this is no where in the box this comes in or the instruction book does it have contact info, no email, website or phone number. It took woot a week to get back to me with it...the company I called was not much help.

nanaejt

quality posts: 3 Private Messages nanaejt

You may be better off with the Monoprice MHD Action Camera featured on DealsWoot today.

bluemaple

quality posts: 72 Private Messages bluemaple

First warning sign: brand name clearly rips off the brand name of the original market-maker, GoPro.

They walk right up to legal line and back away just enough to give the activist judges an excuse to dismiss.

JackLove

quality posts: 0 Private Messages JackLove

@1080p, 60fps ... what is the real batt life on these things? Yes I know 60 is a lot, so what about 30 fps? I need one of these since my Contour has been orphaned.

JackLove

quality posts: 0 Private Messages JackLove
jayrandom wrote:There seems to be some confusion. This is not a GoPro camera, it's a cheap knock off. Reviews on Amazon seem to be bimodal--with lots of 1 star reviews--never a good sign.

http://www.amazon.com/Gear-Pro-High-Definition-Action-Wide-Angle-Camcorder/dp/B008JFS5W8

The $39 price tag should be the first clue. GoPro starts at a buck-fifty.

spyderx6

quality posts: 1 Private Messages spyderx6
Pony99CA wrote:How well will these work as dashboard cameras, especially at night? And, if you've tried them in a '99 Mustang, I'd love to hear how you mounted it.

I bought the 720 one last time it was on sale here on woot. I used it as a dashboard cam for a while. It worked great for day, and even dusk and dawn. It doesn't do good when it's actually dark out. Just a few weeks ago it crapped out. It doesn't record a good image anymore. It's dropped down to low definition. If that.

bluemaple

quality posts: 72 Private Messages bluemaple
JackLove wrote:@1080p, 60fps ... what is the real batt life on these things? Yes I know 60 is a lot, so what about 30 fps? I need one of these since my Contour has been orphaned.

@JackLove, there appears to be some confusion. "fps" in this context might not be "frames per second". It might refer to the 60 feet per second velocity achieved as this is hurled into the dumpster.

Seriously, 'not sure how selling something with user reviews and experiences this poor furthers Woot's reputation.

populuxe

quality posts: 3 Private Messages populuxe

got one last year. It can be set up as a perfect dash-cam, the memory recycles.
used it normally around the house so far and it really works excellent. Mine came with all the stuff, haven'used it in any rough conditions yet but I like it. We didn't open it until xmas and so cold here- haven't used it much. Can't beat it for the price.

gadfly666

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gadfly666

Just FYI, I also bought this camera, and it died after 2 weeks of VERY light usage. Gear Pro support is even worse than Woot support. Woot support used to be good, but is really bad now. I contacted them after 2 of 3 TVs I ordered were damaged in shipping. It took 2 weeks for them to email me back with RMA information. There is no phone numbers to call for Woot, and they are supposed to return email after 24 hours. Beware if you are buying anything electronic.

KevOKC

quality posts: 5 Private Messages KevOKC

Good video and some flying there. Looks like a lot of fun.

lichme wrote:Check out the 720 on a ROFLcopter

neller0414

Jonas4321 wrote:Seems at least one person read the comments... Neller0414 referred to it as a GoPro. Gear Pro is definitely chosen to confuse people into buying.

Lmfao! I didn't even realize I did that! Ahh oh well it was like 3am. No I'm fully aware these aren't GoPros, but the names are so synonymous I didn't even realize the error!

dobriand

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dobriand

I buy stuff off woot all the time but this camera was a POS! I took one video with the the thing and it wouldn't power up. DEAD. AVOID this crap and buy the real deal.

neller0414

One thing to note is everybody's comments are based on the 720p model since the 1080 wasn't offered before on Woot. Despite less than stellar Amazon reviews, the 1080p has better reviews than the 720p; for $65 I think the 1080p is worth a shot. If this fails I will probably finally step up to a GoPro.

wrtersblock

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wrtersblock

Where can I find a pole/stick for this camera so I can use it for snowboarding? It doesn't come with it, right?

ruffy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ruffy

It sure would be nice if Woot would support our troops and ship to APO addresses. It is such a small step to take to show that we care about our men and women serving overseas.

wadeba

quality posts: 2 Private Messages wadeba

If you plan to use these in water, DO NOT BUY THIS CAMERA.

We bought 2 of them and took them to Grand Cayman for snorkeling. Day 1 one camera worked great and took 110 underwater pictures, camera two kept shutting off and took 14.

Day 2 both cameras started to seep water and fog up the cases. We stopped using them and that night at the hotel I made sure the gaskets around the cases were clean and free of any debris.

Day 3, both cameras started to take on water. It became clear to me the plexiglass cases were slightly warping either from the warm weather and plunging them into the cooler water or??

Because it was salt water, the little bit that got into the cases corroded the micro SD card contacts, and whatever else inside the cameras I can't see.

Literally it was maybe a drop in each case...tiny drop...but enough to cause them to stop working.

richiers

quality posts: 3 Private Messages richiers

i picked up the 720p last summer,had it mounted on ATV,scooter,in the ocean surfing!,and mounted on my RC speed boat that goes 80 mph,it flipped over and camera worked fine, i know its picky about the sd cards used, you need class 10..had fun with mine,..http://youtu.be/OA4qkB_z0gw

unorthydox

quality posts: 2 Private Messages unorthydox
bluemaple wrote:First warning sign: brand name clearly rips off the brand name of the original market-maker, GoPro.

They walk right up to legal line and back away just enough to give the activist judges an excuse to dismiss.

"Activist judges"? Really dude?

Thanks, Obama.

yotaman96

quality posts: 0 Private Messages yotaman96

Does the 1080p come with the suction cup mount?

TheHolyCobra

quality posts: 0 Private Messages TheHolyCobra
populuxe wrote:got one last year. It can be set up as a perfect dash-cam, the memory recycles.
used it normally around the house so far and it really works excellent. Mine came with all the stuff, haven'used it in any rough conditions yet but I like it. We didn't open it until xmas and so cold here- haven't used it much. Can't beat it for the price.

Did you have the 720p or 1080p version? It seems most people are having issues with the 720p version crapping out, but I'm curious to see how the 1080p holds up.

yotaman96 wrote:Does the 1080p come with the suction cup mount?

It appears the 1080p version doesn't come with the suction cup mount, but they can be had on eBay or Amazon for cheap.