zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

wootstalkerbot

quality posts: 13 Private Messages wootstalkerbot

[Preview 1]

Core Bamboo Butcher Block with Prep Bowls
Price: $39.99
Shipping Options: $5 Standard OR $18 Two-Day OR $21 One-Day
Shipping Estimates: Ships in 1-2 business days (Thursday, Mar 20 to Friday, Mar 21) + transit
Condition: New

Buy It Search Amazon Search Google

***Facebook/Twitter notifications enabled***

Woot Tracker | Woot Plus Tracker | Droid App | Chat |Contests | T-Shirt Trade | Derby Stats

whatsamattaU

quality posts: 1077 Private Messages whatsamattaU

Product website: temporarily unavailable, $225?!
http://www.corebamboo.com/pro-chef-butchers-block-with-3-prep-bowls.html
Really?

Mandy's shocked.
4 good reviews at Amazon (via Wayfair): $117.66
http://www.amazon.com/Core-Bamboo-Butchers-Block-Natural/dp/B003IT648W

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3903 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

Let's learn more about the care and use of your new board and Cofre Bamboo answers the question Why bamboo?

lichme

quality posts: 3178 Private Messages lichme

Prep bowls: Pro - they make it easier to get the last bit of food off of the cutting board without spilling it

Con: Anything I cut up is gonna take up more space than the bowls, so using them for separate ingredients probably wouldn't work for me

Proudly tracking via WootStalker.com
Woot Tracker | Woot Plus Tracker | Droid App | Chat | Contests | T-Shirt Trade | Derby Stats

Warning: Too much awesome to be contained in such a small space

Liga66

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Liga66

I'm thinking of using it more as a serving tray for appetizers. You can put dips in the bowls and use the cutting surface for bread, cheeses and salami, etc.

thumperchick

quality posts: 253 Private Messages thumperchick
lichme wrote:Con: Anything I cut up is gonna take up more space than the bowls, so using them for separate ingredients probably wouldn't work for me

^^^^^^ This ^^^^^^
I cannot think of anything I chop that would require a full size cutting board AND have a use for those small prep bowls.

typo86

quality posts: 0 Private Messages typo86

I just bought this board and have high hopes for it. Loving the idea to include prep bowls as I tend to mince everything rather than chop and now I can tilt the board slightly to retain the juices as they cascade into the bowl.

Liga66 has a great idea above as well. I'll have to try it as a serving platter.

JadenKale

quality posts: 181 Private Messages JadenKale
conanthelibrarian wrote:Let's learn more about the care and use of your new board and Cofre Bamboo answers the question Why bamboo?

Rule #1: Don't let your roommate use the cutting board as you walk out the door to work, only to find out he put the cutting board in the dishwasher because he was too lazy to clean it properly. You KNOW he's going to sit there and tell you it was TOTALLY warped before he even used it.

-______-; .oO(I live with a dipstick of a roommate. If he didn't have a wife and kid, I'd have kicked him out by now.)

idlewild

quality posts: 0 Private Messages idlewild

I prefer teak.

SurplusHP

quality posts: 7 Private Messages SurplusHP

Suggestion: Measure the board dimensions out on a piece of paper.

Had I done that, I would not have ended up with a collection of tiny little cutting boards from the last Woot bamboo cutting board sale.

aron1231

quality posts: 1 Private Messages aron1231

Does anyone know if woot! still sells Barrels of Crackers? I didn't see one in the last woot!-off... and haven't seen one in a while.

XMRacer

quality posts: 1 Private Messages XMRacer

I see people posting about they chop more than the cups will hold.
Do we know how much they will hold? Did I miss something. They do look on the small side, but it's hard to tell in a picture.
If we could get actual bowl capacity that would be great.

ScottFromWyoming

quality posts: 11 Private Messages ScottFromWyoming
JadenKale wrote:Rule #1: Don't let your roommate use the cutting board as you walk out the door to work, only to find out he put the cutting board in the dishwasher because he was too lazy to clean it properly. You KNOW he's going to sit there and tell you it was TOTALLY warped before he even used it.

Warping would be the best outcome. More likely is the glue would dissolve, leaving you with small strips and blocks of bamboo.

I like the serving tray idea but already got married so we have half a dozen Thoughtful Wedding Gifts that serve that purpose.

And I'd probably want to remove the feet. 1) I have issues with finding enough counter space, so one foot would be hanging off the edge of the counter, so the whole thing would be tippy. And B) I'd want to chop on both sides of the board. One side for garlicky stuff, then flip it over to slice a lime for my cocktail.

ScottFromWyoming

XMRacer wrote:I see people posting about they chop more than the cups will hold.
Do we know how much they will hold? Did I miss something. They do look on the small side, but it's hard to tell in a picture.

Ballpark: It's 16 inches wide, so those look to be maybe 4 inches across, call it 3.5. The overall height of the board including feet is 2.25", so the board itself looks like 1.75". Maybe the cups are 1.5"? That makes 3.5x1.5=14.4 cubic inches, which is 8 fluid ounces, or: one cup.

mrmikej03

quality posts: 3 Private Messages mrmikej03
ScottFromWyoming wrote:Ballpark: It's 16 inches wide, so those look to be maybe 4 inches across, call it 3.5. The overall height of the board including feet is 2.25", so the board itself looks like 1.75". Maybe the cups are 1.5"? That makes 3.5x1.5=14.4 cubic inches, which is 8 fluid ounces, or: one cup.

I just want to give this post a hug.

bbkf

quality posts: 3 Private Messages bbkf

Am I the only one that laughed at the MSRP of $150?

LOLOLOL!!!!!!!!!!!

nice try woot, nice try

jcnation

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jcnation

"Great, I only needed a prep bowl large enough for my 2 strawberries!"

-no one ever.

zolttt

quality posts: 12 Private Messages zolttt
bbkf wrote:Am I the only one that laughed at the MSRP of $150?

LOLOLOL!!!!!!!!!!!

nice try woot, nice try

https://www.google.com/shopping/product/2327343045197225111?q=Core+Bamboo+Butcher+Block+with+Prep+Bowls&espv=210&es_sm=93&bav=on.2,or.r_cp.r_qf.&bvm=bv.62922401,d.dmQ,pv.xjs.s.en_US.ZJ_ag0lGXHs.O&biw=1499&bih=585&tch=1&ech=1&psi=sJcpU6HJEenN0AHM_4HoCA.1395234738067.3&ei=spcpU5CVB9CV0gHP3IDoBw&ved=0CGoQpiswAQ

I ruined my signature with poor cut and paste skills

conniebgood

quality posts: 0 Private Messages conniebgood
mrmikej03 wrote:I just want to give this post a hug.

Best * Post * Ever.

TennisMomInPa

quality posts: 0 Private Messages TennisMomInPa
thumperchick wrote:^^^^^^ This ^^^^^^
I cannot think of anything I chop that would require a full size cutting board AND have a use for those small prep bowls.

When prep bowls are filled but you have more to chop, simply remove the prep bowls, empty into a large container, reinsert empty bowls into butcher block, and you're good to go! ;-)

popichan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages popichan
bbkf wrote:Am I the only one that laughed at the MSRP of $150?

LOLOLOL!!!!!!!!!!!

nice try woot, nice try

You should probably google it if you don't think that it actually costs that much.

golncor

quality posts: 2 Private Messages golncor
XMRacer wrote:...
Do we know how much they will hold? ...

well, looking at the picture they provided, it seems they will hold almost half a chopped onion or a lime and a strawberry. not much in my opinion.

bbkf

quality posts: 3 Private Messages bbkf
popichan wrote:You should probably google it if you don't think that it actually costs that much.

PS - It doesn't cost that much.

98% of sales of the brand Core are through TJ Maxx and woot because their stuff is below average quality at above average price.

rgarnier

quality posts: 6 Private Messages rgarnier
ScottFromWyoming wrote:Ballpark: It's 16 inches wide, so those look to be maybe 4 inches across, call it 3.5. The overall height of the board including feet is 2.25", so the board itself looks like 1.75". Maybe the cups are 1.5"? That makes 3.5x1.5=14.4 cubic inches, which is 8 fluid ounces, or: one cup.

Nice - pretty spot on. Here are two descriptions, saying they are a little bit more than a cup, from the questions page on the Amazon sale:

http://www.amazon.com/How-big-are-the-cups/forum/Fx336OA89HX231Y/Tx1XRSWCQHHR41B/1/ref=cm_cd_dp_aar_al_a?_encoding=UTF8&asin=B003IT648W

ScottFromWyoming

The post is just a little creeped out now. ;-)

rgarnier

Note: Recently, in the fall of 2013, several people apparently found this cutting board for about $35 at HomeGoods.

http://www.amazon.com/review/RGU90X34XADKB/ref=cm_cr_pr_cmt?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B003IT648W&linkCode=&nodeID=&tag=#wasThisHelpful

ScottFromWyoming

rgarnier wrote:Nice - pretty spot on. Here are two descriptions, saying they are a little bit more than a cup, from the questions page on the Amazon sale:

http://www.amazon.com/How-big-are-the-cups/forum/Fx336OA89HX231Y/Tx1XRSWCQHHR41B/1/ref=cm_cd_dp_aar_al_a?_encoding=UTF8&asin=B003IT648W

So 4x2 inches is almost 14oz, just shy of a pint, then. I was too conservative because I thought they *looked* like about half a cup.

tekkitan

quality posts: 4 Private Messages tekkitan
JadenKale wrote:Rule #1: Don't let your roommate use the cutting board as you walk out the door to work, only to find out he put the cutting board in the dishwasher because he was too lazy to clean it properly. You KNOW he's going to sit there and tell you it was TOTALLY warped before he even used it.

-______-; .oO(I live with a dipstick of a roommate. If he didn't have a wife and kid, I'd have kicked him out by now.)

I have the same problem. I'm waiting till the two of them move out to buy things that require care haha

agingdragqueen

quality posts: 135 Private Messages agingdragqueen

Staff

XMRacer wrote:I see people posting about they chop more than the cups will hold.

Checked with the buyer- holds 10.5oz (a little over a cup)- we'll be adding that info to the sale. @ScottFromWyoming's math was nearly spot on!

cov111

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cov111

If you click the Specs tab (right beside the Features tab) it says:
Overall Dimensions: 22"x16.5"x2.2"
Prep Bowl Dimensions: Dia 4" x H 2"
Prep Bowl Capacity: 10.5 oz.

silviantonia

quality posts: 0 Private Messages silviantonia

Me too!

mysticzephyr

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mysticzephyr
cov111 wrote:If you click the Specs tab (right beside the Features tab) it says:
Overall Dimensions: 22"x16.5"x2.2"
Prep Bowl Dimensions: Dia 4" x H 2"
Prep Bowl Capacity: 10.5 oz.

Yeah, but that 10.5 oz. capacity number was added after people asked the questions - see the post just before yours.

I have this board and I'm happy with it - no problems with warping. I use soapy water and rinse it - I don't submerge it in the sink (as if it would fit :-)

dent6

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dent6

Who cooks anymore lets go out to eat!

Jeromyt

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Jeromyt

Bamboo is not a good material for cutting boards. Its hard on knives, dulls them faster than other materials, and they use a lot of glue to hold all those small pieces together. The glue is also hard and tough on knives. You're better off with maple or plastic.

firebirdude

quality posts: 19 Private Messages firebirdude

Yeah because I'm always having troubles with my keylime and single strawberry going all over the place while I'm chopping onions.

mexter

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mexter

Is that an avocado next to a strawberry? Either the world's largest strawberry, or the world's tiniest avocado.

Terrible photoshop job.

bigbillyt

quality posts: 1 Private Messages bigbillyt

I don't get how everybody seems so hung up on the size of the "prep bowls" and thinking they would primarily be to hold what has been chopped on the board. I would tend to have this board near my stove and would probably use the prep bowls for other spices or liquid ingredients that are going to go into the pot along with my chopped veggies/fruits. Think small amounts of chili paste, oil, measured amounts of herbs, sugar, salt etc. in the prep bowls and adding those along with your fresh chopped onion, pepper and garlic for example. Just sayin', and for the price and size it is kind of hard to beat. Would be nice if it was Maple though instead, but the price would most likely be substantially higher then.

rgarnier

Jeromyt wrote:Bamboo is not a good material for cutting boards. Its hard on knives, dulls them faster than other materials, and they use a lot of glue to hold all those small pieces together. The glue is also hard and tough on knives. You're better off with maple or plastic.

Pros and cons of bamboo cutting boards: http://food.thefuntimesguide.com/2010/07/bamboo_cutting_board.php

susqucyclist

quality posts: 0 Private Messages susqucyclist
mexter wrote:Is that an avocado next to a strawberry? Either the world's largest strawberry, or the world's tiniest avocado.

Terrible photoshop job.

I'm thinking it may be a lime. Although I did think an avocado at first too.