zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

wootstalkerbot

quality posts: 13 Private Messages wootstalkerbot

[Preview 1][Preview 2][Preview 3][Preview 4][Preview 5][Preview 6][Preview 7]

ContourROAM2 Waterproof Action Camcorder
Price: $159.99
Shipping Options: $5 Standard OR $9 Two-Day OR $12 One-Day
Shipping Estimates: Ships in 1-2 business days (Thursday, May 01 to Friday, May 02) + transit
Condition: New

Buy It Search Amazon Search Google

***Facebook/Twitter notifications enabled***

Woot Tracker | Woot Plus Tracker | Droid App | Chat |Contests | T-Shirt Trade | Derby Stats

lichme

quality posts: 2905 Private Messages lichme

pckizer

quality posts: 1 Private Messages pckizer

I've had multiple of these kinds of cameras (upgraded models as new ones were release with new features), and they've behaved brilliantly for me. My preference was for the Contour+2, but it was a close-call since the ROAM is innately water-proof.

Thumbs-up for the Contour brand.

benjamis

quality posts: 0 Private Messages benjamis

Amazon and the Contour website both give the list price as $199.99, but here it's shown as $299.99. $299.99 seems to be the list price for the Contour+2. What am I missing?

superwiggles

quality posts: 0 Private Messages superwiggles

Great action cam I have one use it all the time. Just know that company is no longer in business

aceyx

quality posts: 0 Private Messages aceyx
superwiggles wrote:Great action cam I have one use it all the time. Just know that company is no longer in business

They went under, but they're back.

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3527 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

Check out this "very good" review over at cnet

Cheesius

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Cheesius

I have this camera, it lives on my bike helmet and records everything I see on my rides, in case I get into an accident or something. It does a decent enough job.

It's rugged, relatively shock-proof, and although I haven't tested how waterproof it is, it certainly has had no problems with pretty heavy downpours while riding.

My biggest complaint is that sometimes I ride all day, and since you can't replace the battery, if the battery dies, I just have to turn it off. It won't record and charge at the same time without a special cable. I even tried plugging in an external USB battery thingy, but the moment it gets plugged in, the camera switches off and just goes into charging mode.

Edited here to add, the USB cable that it comes with is just a standard cable, it will not allow you to charge while recording.

That said, it will run for a good three hours or so before the battery dies. It's just frustrating when it happens.

gusvonpooch

quality posts: 24 Private Messages gusvonpooch

I have been looking at action cams but the GoPro is too expensive for me. This Contour looks like a good alternative but I have also been watching this one from Monoprice.

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=117&cp_id=11704&cs_id=1170401&p_id=10629&seq=1&format=2#specifications

Twice now I've seen the Monoprice unit on sale thru Rakuten for $110,one day only.
Any opinions on Woot's Contour vs the Monoprice?

rtcheung

quality posts: 1 Private Messages rtcheung

I've actually been looking for a action cam, but am I missing something here or is this really just $15 dollars less (black) than on amazon? Throw in the 2 day shipping cost (cause I'm impatient and its included in prime) in there and its pretty much the same price. Does this package come with extra mounts or something?

wootorama

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wootorama

...and then, there's this with a remote, LCD display, many features, modes and a super price to boot.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/816260-REG/Drift_DHD_HD_Action_Camera.html

infamouz209

quality posts: 0 Private Messages infamouz209
wootorama wrote:...and then, there's this with a remote, LCD display, many features, modes and a super price to boot.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/816260-REG/Drift_DHD_HD_Action_Camera.html

Every vid i've seen so far, the Drift HD falls so far short in image quality opposed to the Contour Roam2 as well as the Hero3.. so im not sure why that was even mentioned lol. but the part i dont get is, on Amazon with free shipping this exact action cam ends up being a few dollars less than here... how is this a Woot deal again????????

vatorman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages vatorman

Anyone know if this is OK for Scuba ? What depth waterproof ?

[MOD: Per the specs: Waterproof Depth Rating: 3.3' / 1.0 m (Camera)]

kenski77

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kenski77

My first comment on WOOT... Woot woot...

I have two of the contour cameras. The ROAM2 and +2. Used them all season snowmobiling. BOTH cameras are awesome. Quality is great. The ROAM2 I took to disney and was able to use it in the pool and everything without any extra case since it is waterproof. NICE.

As far as the battery on the ROAM2. Yes it is not replaceable so when it dies your screwed. Or are you? If you buy the charging kit, you can use THAT USB cable and an external battery pack to keep it going and charge at the same time. I have 4 batteries for my +2 and a small battery pack for my ROAM2, no problems.

Going to use both cameras with the stop photography feature to show the progress of a demo/remodel of a kitchen Im going to be doing here in the next couple days. Should be interesting when done.

sfg4dotcom

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sfg4dotcom

Just a note: It's my understanding that Contour is now out of business so you won't get any support.

http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2013-08-21/three-lessons-in-the-wipeout-of-contour-cameras

[MOD: See next post]

hkmonsterp7

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hkmonsterp7
sfg4dotcom wrote:Just a note: It's my understanding that Contour is now out of business so you won't get any support.

http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2013-08-21/three-lessons-in-the-wipeout-of-contour-cameras

They were out of business, but as of 3 April 2014...

http://business.transworld.net/148713/features/contour-re-emerges-pov-camera-market-new-ownership/

No idea what this means for support for older cameras.

patric9956

quality posts: 7 Private Messages patric9956

So.....what is the water resistance rating? In feet or metric I can do the conversion.

[MOD: Per the specs: Waterproof Depth Rating: 3.3' / 1.0 m (Camera)]

DJG

quality posts: 2 Private Messages DJG

How do you deal with portability and remounting on cameras like this? Say I want to use it on helmit, bike, and most important, as a car cam. Do I need 3 mounts? The 3M stickers that they show, are they apply once and it's done or are they reusable? Confusing.

toadfish63

quality posts: 2 Private Messages toadfish63

I have the +2 and it works great. Very good quality recordings and I beat the crap out of it on my ride to Alaska and back on my motorcycle last year. I got some cool video of me riding some awesome roads. This is a good deal.

pmcm

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pmcm
patric9956 wrote:So.....what is the water resistance rating? In feet or metric I can do the conversion.

It says in the specs 3.3 feet or 1 meter.

wootorama

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wootorama

[quote postid="5769837" user="infamouz209"]Every vid i've seen so far, the Drift HD falls so far short in image quality opposed to the Contour Roam2 as well as the Hero3.. so im not sure why that was even mentioned lol.

I wouldn't call it far short, image-wise. I have only experienced somewhat objectional quality in low light, which few people end up needing anyway. Also, the small display has saved my recording from a bad camera angle on many occasions! I just put it out there for another option for a decent (sale) price.

halperez

quality posts: 9 Private Messages halperez
DJG wrote:The 3M stickers that they show, are they apply once and it's done or are they reusable? Confusing.

The 3M stickers are one time use. And that's really how you want them. The last thing you want is for reusable tape to come undone while you're using the camera. So yes, you would want a mount for any location you'd like to use the camera.

Scooter32401

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Scooter32401

It irritates me to no end that the GoPro has become the de facto standard for these types of cameras. I've had both and the Contour wins hands down for usability, at least for what I want to do. I use mine on my motorcycle, and the form factor of the Contour is so much better for this. Add in the laser leveling and a big button you can activate with gloves on and Contour knocks it out of the park.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 568 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

kenski77 wrote:My first comment on WOOT... Woot woot...

I have two of the contour cameras. The ROAM2 and +2. Used them all season snowmobiling. BOTH cameras are awesome. Quality is great. The ROAM2 I took to disney and was able to use it in the pool and everything without any extra case since it is waterproof. NICE.

As far as the battery on the ROAM2. Yes it is not replaceable so when it dies your screwed. Or are you? If you buy the charging kit, you can use THAT USB cable and an external battery pack to keep it going and charge at the same time. I have 4 batteries for my +2 and a small battery pack for my ROAM2, no problems.

Going to use both cameras with the stop photography feature to show the progress of a demo/remodel of a kitchen Im going to be doing here in the next couple days. Should be interesting when done.

WELCOME! Your first Quality Post too! Way to rock it!

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

scubalab

quality posts: 9 Private Messages scubalab

Been looking for an action cam for snorkeling and free diving. With only a 1 meter depth rating, unfortunately this will NOT work. Looks like GoPro it is...

halperez

quality posts: 9 Private Messages halperez
rtcheung wrote:or is this really just $15 dollars less (black) than on amazon? Throw in the 2 day shipping cost (cause I'm impatient and its included in prime) in there and its pretty much the same price.

Exactly my thinking...with my prime membership and for $10 more, I could have it in my hands in 2 days through Amazon. Through woot, the item doesn't even ship for 1-2 days.

rockperio

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rockperio
scubalab wrote:Been looking for an action cam for snorkeling and free diving. With only a 1 meter depth rating, unfortunately this will NOT work. Looks like GoPro it is...

Contour has a waterproof case specific for the Roam that's good for 60m.

(And yes, another Contour fan here)

http://www.amazon.com/Contour-3330-Waterproof-ContourROAM-ContourROAM2/dp/B007QTHLDW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1398862472&sr=8-1&keywords=contour+roam2+waterproof+case

rcadd1ct

quality posts: 1 Private Messages rcadd1ct
DJG wrote:How do you deal with portability and remounting on cameras like this? Say I want to use it on helmit, bike, and most important, as a car cam. Do I need 3 mounts? The 3M stickers that they show, are they apply once and it's done or are they reusable? Confusing.

Apply and they are permanent.

glmcken

quality posts: 0 Private Messages glmcken

How can you watch these videos on a TV? Doe it have a wireless transfer method or what?

rcadd1ct

quality posts: 1 Private Messages rcadd1ct

The big plus on the contour compared to gopro is that the contour lens can be rotated.

This allows you to hard mount the camera and then adjust horizon.

I use the goggle mount on my motorcycle half helmet.

Also have the stick on for my full face and a suction cup mount for the truck.

bunnyma357

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bunnyma357

+1

Rotating lens is the best feature, I have a Roam & 2 Contour+2's. The other great feature is that it is less obtrussive visually - so if you are also shooting the action from another traditional camera the Contour doesn't stick out as much as a GoPro. Although the GoPro has become so ubiquitous and we're used to seeing them, that it doesn't look as goofy as it originally did.

Image quality wise it is decent but probably more in line with the GoPro Hero2 instead of the Hero 3 or 3+.

Thinkerer

quality posts: 9 Private Messages Thinkerer

Okay this has to be the Woot equivalent of DejaVu - I was just bemoaning the closure of Contour last night and find that someone's unshuttered them and may have a better business model to boot.

I originally got a second-gen Contour in the mid-2000s when they were giving GoPro a pretty good run for their money (I now have three different models). The company had a pretty cool blogging/board system you could share with other users and people were using these because the image quality was better than GoPro and the form factor was much less intrusive (no dorky box standing up on your helmet) and you could rotate it in-housing to get a level field of view. There were a couple of spendy box-and-wire setups with broadcast quality video, but these two were the real standouts in terms of modular use, value and great video.

Here's a contour example: http://vimeo.com/57807553
The camera is all that (even though my deep skiing will never be on par with this guy's).

These days GoPro has *very* good image quality - I think they're a generation ahead in their "3" models' sensors, and is the darling of the business/investment set because they've partnered with Red Bull (and are partially owned by FOXCONN, whose $200 million buy-in has accelerated the GoPro brand into nearly everything). The dorky boxes seem to have won center stage.

Contour still does a bang-up job for the buck and is simple to use - just slide the switch, and off o you go. I miss the community-effort vibe of the older website though.

Lots of aftermarket mounts are available for various things, and a pressure housing (#3320/3325) good to ~60 meters (I've taken mine to ~30 meters and its fine) and recommended for anything else seriously deadly (hanging the camera behind the wheels of a car throwing mud/gravel etc).

Do know that the Roam2 has a fixed battery so that once it's gone you'll have to charge it in place. The pricier +2 has a swappable battery and comes with a waterproof case.

Here's an interesting essay on the crash of the company and the realities of the action camera market from Bloomburg:

With competition coming on from a lot of manufacturers, both low and high end, in a lot of form factors, one hopes that "new" Contour will not simply make the old models until there's no more demand - they had the best product at one time and could do so again.

saltone

quality posts: 1 Private Messages saltone

So,

how does the picture quality compare? it looks like the FPS is 60 shooting at 720, but to get to 1080, you have to drop the FPS to 30. Is the quality bad at 1080/30? I know the new Go pro shoots 120 at 720. and 60 at 1080. Don't you need at least 60 to have smooth images?

"What the hell are we doing fighting government, let's become government and we can then take whatever we want!".
Al Capone

Dadoboy

quality posts: 9 Private Messages Dadoboy

Annnd... CamelCamelCamel has it listed as 163.32, so I guess the Momship jacked up the price for this sale..
http://camelcamelcamel.com/Contour-ROAM2-Waterproof-Video-Camera/product/B009CN8VRK

edit: Amazon had it for 163.32 - but are sold out.. It's higher at the 3rd party seller for 174.90.

RKPTSkully

quality posts: 0 Private Messages RKPTSkully
saltone wrote:So,

how does the picture quality compare? it looks like the FPS is 60 shooting at 720, but to get to 1080, you have to drop the FPS to 30. Is the quality bad at 1080/30? I know the new Go pro shoots 120 at 720. and 60 at 1080. Don't you need at least 60 to have smooth images?

if you want to see any gopro or contour go watch paintball videos on youtube.

ThunderThighs

Staff

PRICE DROP!

O-M-G and W-T-F! What just happened? The price changed! By golly, it did. It's now $149.99. You should go buy 3!

Small Print: If you already purchased, that $10 will come flying back to your accounts soonish.

FORUM MODERATOR
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

ThunderThighs

Staff

Dadoboy wrote:Annnd... CamelCamelCamel has it listed as 163.32, so I guess the Momship jacked up the price for this sale..
http://camelcamelcamel.com/Contour-ROAM2-Waterproof-Video-Camera/product/B009CN8VRK

edit: Amazon had it for 163.32 - but are sold out.. It's higher at the 3rd party seller for 174.90.

Uhm, it doesn't work that way. Amazon has all these magical ways of watching prices and adjusting. We're an independent subsidiary so we have no say in their pricing. We wish we could coordinate that way but it doesn't work that way.

FORUM MODERATOR

saltone

quality posts: 1 Private Messages saltone

One other question, it does not show pics of the mounts that are included. It shows two mounts, but what are they and where can they be mounted?

"What the hell are we doing fighting government, let's become government and we can then take whatever we want!".
Al Capone

zanfar

quality posts: 0 Private Messages zanfar
saltone wrote:One other question, it does not show pics of the mounts that are included. It shows two mounts, but what are they and where can they be mounted?

The first is the Rotating Flat Surface mount, which (as the name implies) allows rotation on flat surfaces
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005Q314XS/

The second is the standard Profile Mount, which is shown (but is hard to see) in most of the photos.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B009CN8VNE/
They're adhesive, one-direction mounts that can fit somewhat curved surfaces.