lichme

quality posts: 2905 Private Messages lichme

wootstalkerbot

quality posts: 13 Private Messages wootstalkerbot

[Preview 1][Preview 2][Preview 3][Preview 4]

iRobot Roomba 530 Robotic Vacuum
Price: $189.99
Shipping Options: $5 Standard OR $15 Two-Day OR $19 One-Day
Shipping Estimates: Ships in 1-2 business days (Thursday, May 29 to Friday, May 30) + transit
Condition: Refurbished

Buy It Search Amazon Search Google

Previous Similar Sales (May not be exact model)
5/20/2014 - $189.99 (Woot-off) - 5 comment(s)
5/19/2014 - $189.99 (Woot-off) - 1 comment(s)
2/18/2014 - $189.99 (Woot-off) - 1 comment(s)

10/29/2013 - $189.99 (Woot Plus)
8/20/2013 - $189.99 (Woot Plus)
8/9/2013 - $189.99 (Woot Plus)

***Facebook/Twitter notifications enabled***

Woot Tracker | Woot Plus Tracker | Droid App | Chat |Contests | T-Shirt Trade | Derby Stats

wseltzer

quality posts: 1 Private Messages wseltzer

HughHemington

quality posts: 15 Private Messages HughHemington

I can't believe they're still selling these things!
The batteries fail quickly. They don't clean worth a darn. They can't climb an area rug.

The Scooba doesn't clean any better; in fact WORSE. It jams, clogs, and quickly fails to dispense liquids at all. Then it takes longer to clean IT out than it would have taken to mop the floor yourself.

I have recycled both my Roomba and Scooba -- total garbage.

me4sweetd

quality posts: 4 Private Messages me4sweetd

I own two roombas. They work great on hardwood floors and carpet, but they do not last long if you have a long haired dog(we have a newfoundland). Requires brush cleaning every ten minutes with long dog hair....will last for a whole clean if you only have short hair cats and dogs. I shudder every time I hear: *duh da* "error 2: open roomba's brush cage and clean brushes"....

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3527 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

vbowyer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages vbowyer
me4sweetd wrote:I own two roombas. They work great on hardwood floors and carpet, but they do not last long if you have a long haired dog(we have a newfoundland). Requires brush cleaning every ten minutes with long dog hair....will last for a whole clean if you only have short hair cats and dogs. I shudder every time I hear: *duh da* "error 2: open roomba's brush cage and clean brushes"....

Ah the "duh da of death". I usually get two/two and a half cleaning before I have to disassemble and de-hair Roomba. However, it isn't the dog with the long hair. Human hair gets wound so tight I have to use scizzors to get it working again.

me4sweetd

quality posts: 4 Private Messages me4sweetd
vbowyer wrote:Ah the "duh da of death". I usually get two/two and a half cleaning before I have to disassemble and de-hair Roomba. However, it isn't the dog with the long hair. Human hair gets wound so tight I have to use scizzors to get it working again.

You should look into getting the red brush cleaner that comes free with the pet versions of roombas, you slide the brush through and it rips the hair out without scissors. You still have to use scissors (or even better...a wrapping paper cutter) on the rubber brush....but that's way easier to clean than the broom brush.

dsscheibe

quality posts: 8 Private Messages dsscheibe

I've had several and they are all cheap chinese crap. Plastic gears in the brush drive, suck up cat hair, brushes have to be cleaned every time. I've had to take the drives apart. I've found them far more work than doing the vacuuming yourself. If you have no pets they may work for you, but if there is any hair to clean up they aren't worth it. I agree the Scooba sucks as well. I've had nothing but trouble with the one I've had. Nicad batteries, enough said..

CharlesP2009

quality posts: 27 Private Messages CharlesP2009

I found one of these at Goodwill once. Perfect working condition and included all the accessories. $35. Man I wish they were that cheap everywhere else!

chefwiener

quality posts: 1 Private Messages chefwiener

Bought this exact model refurbished on Woot for $164 on May 26 2012. To this day, it still works.

Clearly most of you are not cleaning this thing enough. I have a mixed breed dog that sheds a ton. All different size hairs. Sure it gets tangled up, but I clean it after every few uses.

It's not meant to replace a Dyson. It's meant as a neat little floor cleaner that can also entertain cats and dogs.

imadonut

quality posts: 1 Private Messages imadonut
HughHemington wrote:I can't believe they're still selling these things!
The batteries fail quickly. They don't clean worth a darn. They can't climb an area rug.

The Scooba doesn't clean any better; in fact WORSE. It jams, clogs, and quickly fails to dispense liquids at all. Then it takes longer to clean IT out than it would have taken to mop the floor yourself.

How dare you talk smack about Jeeves, my Roomba. The key to battery life=always keep it charged. Do not just let it hang out somewhere once done with cleaning, make sure it back in the charge, or, plugged directly in. I have a shedding dog, no problem. Turn it on everyday, go out, come back, full of dirt, dust dog hair, etc. Boo hoo, you have to clean the brushes sometimes. Just use the afro pick that comes with it; or, go ahead, and push some ancient electric broom stick around, and have fun with that. Have tile floor and area rugs, and, Jeeves does well on his own, covering 500 sq feet, while I am out frolicking.

GURABoy

quality posts: 10 Private Messages GURABoy

Roombas are funny things.

We wooted two different models in 2009, one as a gift because we enjoyed the first one so much. Other family members bought them after seeing ours. I even saw them on sale in Kazakhstan in mid-2011. Sadly, however, after a few years the first one wouldn't function properly despite cleaning, and the cost to send it for repair was approximately equal to today's woot. The others have also been left to gather dust in closets after the novelty value wore off. A friend who's a buyer at Costco said a few years ago that they were a top-selling, but also most frequently returned, item. I understand why. Love the concept, but the execution and followup doesn't cut it.

pdhenry

quality posts: 1 Private Messages pdhenry

Biggest problem I've had with mine is that the IR LED that's used in the wall bumper sensors goes dimmer over time and eventually the Roomba thinks it's always hitting a wall on one side or the other. Look around you'll find instructions and part numbers to replace the emitter-detector pair. Buy two and replace both of them when one side goes because you'll be replacing the other side soon after. Besides, being able to disassemble and repair your Roomba helps you feel accomplished.

Long dog hair plays havoc with the gears in the brushes but now we have a Weim and his short hair gets swept up without going into the gears.

empapel

quality posts: 6 Private Messages empapel

I've owned three roombas over the last 9 years. Yes, the batteries eventually die, yes, they may soon grow too clogged to do any decent job, but the alternatives are wasting half my Saturday vacuuming or hiring a maid service at $120/visit.

So, in for another one. I'll name this guy Sparky IV.

sarcasm, geeks & microsoft humor
http://2tothe5th.com

robio

quality posts: 41 Private Messages robio

Got this model in 2007, and really liked it. Although cleaning it out (brushes, etc.) to my satisfaction was a little time-consuming, it still saved me a lot of time every week.

The battery did go kaput sooner than I expected, but soon thereafter I moved to a place where it wouldn't have been reasonable to Roomba (strange room/hallway configuration would have confounded the thing without several more of the "virtual walls"), so I sold it.

Because of the battery longevity, I'm not sure how good of a deal a refurb is unless a new battery was part of its overhaul. (Replacements are $30-$60 plus shipping.)

0bscuridad

quality posts: 0 Private Messages 0bscuridad

Roomba!!! I miss them so much, old woot users will understand my feelings :'(

• Wooter since 2008
  • nlevake

quality posts: 8 Private Messages nlevake

This exact model was the first for me of the new 500 series. It was a BIG change from the 400s in terms of reliability. It's been running for two years on the same battery, which for a Roomba is remarkable. YES the batteries fail. Then you buy a new one. You can buy a Li Ion if you like. Anyway, I brought this one to my boyfriend's house. He didn't think ne needed or liked Roombas. Now he _loves_ it, and it keeps up with my three big short-hairs dogs just fine.

dmphillips

quality posts: 1 Private Messages dmphillips

Wow, I feel exactly the opposite. I bought a Roomba from Woot almost 3 years ago now. I am not sure what series it is but I am pretty sure it is older than this one. It is still going strong. I am thinking about buying one today to put in storage for the day my poor Roomba dies. We love our Roomba. We have all types of floors, hardwood, tile, carpet, linoleum and we use it on all of them and are very happy with how well it works. We do have to clean the brushes every few runs, but that is a lot less work than vaccuuming the house myself. We have 2 kids and a dog and I run the Roomba on almost a daily basis. I will never go back to a conventional vaccuum.

wkearney99

quality posts: 4 Private Messages wkearney99

I also have a 530, from a previous Woot. It sat in a box for 2 years until we built the new house. It does an every-other-day job of the master suite (bath, bedroom, closet). It does a decent job, including clambering over some rather thick microfiber bath mats. No rugs otherwise and no pets.

It does take some time to make sure everything's up and out of it's way. Latest trap for it was a belt from one of the wife's dressed, snared the little beastie, but didn't ruin the belt. Previous entanglements included an iPad charging cable, but again, didn't damage anything.

I had to change two doorstops to the magnetic kind. Otherwise the Roomba would occasionally bump the doors closed and trap itself.

You may want to pick up the double-layer foam bumpers (on Amazon) to help prevent it from leaving slight scuffs on baseboards and furniture legs.

Note, the 530 will not work with the Lighthouse units (designed to split rooms). It only works with the Virtual Wall markers. That and it does not support scheduling, so you have to start it manually. Fortunately the dock for it fits under a bath vanity and the button is easily pressed by a big toe...

c1954ritchey

quality posts: 1 Private Messages c1954ritchey

I don't know what the complaining is about. We've had Consuela for over 2 years. Floors are a combination of hardwood, tile and carpet. We have 4 cats. Even with her picking up a paper towel now and again, it's worth it to us to know she's doing the floors every morning while I get ready for work. IMO , get a model that has scheduling. It's worth the extra price. We have a 700 series. If I want to do some extra intense cleaning, I can, but it's not necessary very often. I have replaced the brushes one, and never have I had to replace the battery. I can place the lighthouses by an area I want her to avoid temporarily. I have to empty the dust bin twice a week and clean the brushes once month. I don't find this to be extraordinary, when I think of all the time I'm not wasting cleaning floors.

0ldeag1e

quality posts: 0 Private Messages 0ldeag1e
    dmphillips wrote:I am thinking about buying one today to put in storage for the day my poor Roomba dies.

I'm not sure that's a good idea because of the battery: LiIon is the one they usually talk about as needing to be cycled frequently but I'm pretty sure even NiMH has a shelf-life, apart from the battery's self-discharge rate.

mickisue

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mickisue

I bought my first roomba in, I think, 2005. It started going wonky in warrantee. Called the company, they asked me to send back one teeny little part (that cost about $1.50 to return) rather than the entire unit, and sent a new one.

It went every other day, the entire first floor (1400 sq feet) for three years.

Always kept it charged. Eventually, the battery stopped taking a charge, as do all rechargeable batteries, and we never got another.

Sigh.

Right now, it's the new granite countertops, or get the stuff I want.

Will have to wait on the Roomba, I guess. But really, three years of not having to vacuum an entire floor more than once a month, even with two cats? Priceless.

And, you know, you can sit and clean the brushes while watching TV, stopping occasionally to type something online, or having a conversation. None of which are possible when the one doing the vacuuming is you.

0ldeag1e

quality posts: 0 Private Messages 0ldeag1e
    mickisue wrote:Eventually, the battery stopped taking a charge, as do all rechargeable batteries, and we never got another.

Sigh.

When my old Roomba's battery died I got an off-brand one for about $25. I had to get another one about 7 months later (and now the prices seem to have gone up), but around here the cost of a battery works out to about one hour of a maid's time.

Eventually the rapid-charger died, and we wound up getting one of the Woot Neatos. I like the Neato better 'cause it's programmable (and easier to clean than the Roomba), but the old Roomba was doing a perfectly good job the last time we used it.

GWA1225

quality posts: 0 Private Messages GWA1225

Say what?? I have four Roombas, the oldest 400 series that is about ten years old, and except for new batts every coupla years it has never failed. Nor has the white one like this offering, which was probably a Woot refurb that's at least five years old, nor the dark grey one that was a store- closing, no- box buy 8 yrs ago, nor has my 3yo Devil Dog.
    Yes, you hafta clean them and replace the batts now and then. No, they don't completely replace a traditional vac, but they go places (under beds , sofas etc) that big vacs don't. (Our Scooba did die, I will note, though before doing so it did a credible job.)
    We have a 5300 sq ft house and a 40ft RV. The deal I have with my wife is that I do the floors. Roombas are how. I've done them the Old Way; Roombas are waaaay better.

kazper

quality posts: 6 Private Messages kazper

Wow, I'm glad our experience hasn't been nearly this bad...

We received either the 650 or 770 for Christmas a few years ago. We have two cats, a Himalyan that sheds like crazy (she is about 6 pounds shaved, around 10 with fur!) and a short hair domestic. The roomba, Ruby, has done a great job cleaning up after us and them.

Common problems:
    *Stuck on baby socks, shoelaces, cords, or ribbons.
    *Manages to wedge itself between the floor and a piece of furniture (under a kitchen cabinet).
    *Brush rollers clogged with hair.
    *Base station is moved such that the roomba cannot dock and dies.

Even with all this, we'd definitely want another one. It USUALLY does a great job cleaning everything, and cleaning the fur/hair from the brush is a breeze. If we kept the floor clear of debris it could suck up, it would run much more smoothly. We can easily tell when Ruby has been out of commission, especially with a 2 1/2 year old running around!

tony0014

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tony0014

I bought this model last year during a woot-off for this exact price and would HIGHLY recommend it. I live in an apartment with hardwood floors with a dog who sheds a lot and we run this every few days and it saves us hours of swiffering every week. For those who mentioned hair getting caught and clogged, I would encourage everyone to buy the upgraded AeroVac bin from the iRobot website for only $35 (http://store.irobot.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4017590&cp=3744764.3358508&s=A-ProductAge&parentPage=family)

It provides a better airflow design and 'sucks' the hair off the brushes into the bin much better. I still clean it before each use, but it's a breeze and not much work, usually just a few hairs to clear away.

fiktitious

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fiktitious

I have owned three of these and invariably the Roomba dance (i.e., just runs in circles) eventually occurs. Before you buy, google "Roomba dance."

krapfmr

quality posts: 1 Private Messages krapfmr

Do we know who did the refurb on these units? iRobot or a 3rd party?

boiler92

quality posts: 1 Private Messages boiler92

I wooted one of these on Feb 22, 2013 and I LOVE it. We have 2 cats (1 longhaired, 1 short) and a short haired dog. I run it every day on our hardwood and it does a very good job. I imagine it would be less effective on deep carpet because the suction on it isn't that awesome. That said it gets all kids of crap out of my son's area rug.

Yes, I have to take it apart and clean it periodically, but get real people, the thing lives on the dirty floor--it's going to get dirty.

w3kn

quality posts: 8 Private Messages w3kn

I've bought Roombas for several family members. While they won't replace a regular vacuum, it has allowed my wife to push a button and walk away while our Roomba vacuums up everything my 3 year old has dropped on the floor.

The batteries don't have a long life, but if you look on Youtube, there are step-by-step guides on how to disassemble the battery pack and replace the cells inside. *Disclaimer: I am in no way endorsing this, it is done at your own risk!

79 woots and counting!

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 568 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

krapfmr wrote:Do we know who did the refurb on these units? iRobot or a 3rd party?

iRobot contracts with a 3rd party to do the reconditioning on these. iRobot supplies the parts and the work is done to iRobot's guidelines.

FORUM MODERATOR
    To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
    ••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
    CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

tommyb134

quality posts: 3 Private Messages tommyb134

Two Roomba owner here. Love them! Here's my story.

I grabbed a Roomba 535 from Woot ($149 deal) back in 2009. It's nearly the same as this 530 model except mine has the Lighthouse feature instead of the simpler Virtual Wall. It still works fantastic, only needing a replacement battery ($40 on eBay) after the first three years.

My second Roomba is a 535 I got off eBay for about $75. It was sold as-is and didn't work. A new battery and IR emitter-detector pair replacement (mentioned earlier by another Wooter) got it back on its feet.

So, with two Roombas here's what I do. I walk the lower floor of our home (about 1500 sq feet) and pick up the door mats and other things that I've learned are not compatible with my robot vacuums. I set the Roombas loose, one at each end of the house. The Lighthouse units (there's four of them strategically placed at some doorways) help them navigate as they go about their cleaning. After the lower floor is vacuumed I recharge them and repeat the suck-fest on the upper floor.

In the name of full disclosure, we don't have any pets. I will say I tried one of my Roombas at a home with a cat and it was quickly choked with hair (Roomba, not the cat). So if you have a house full of hair due to neglected cleaning then Roomba is probably not for you. Also, these things MUST be cleaned after each use (about 5 minutes work). So if you aren't interested in doing that important task then you don't deserve to own a Roomba.

Botttom line. Roomba sucks, but that is its job.

teedo757

quality posts: 6 Private Messages teedo757
    chefwiener wrote:Bought this exact model refurbished on Woot for $164 on May 26 2012. To this day, it still works.

Clearly most of you are not cleaning this thing enough. I have a mixed breed dog that sheds a ton. All different size hairs. Sure it gets tangled up, but I clean it after every few uses.

It's not meant to replace a Dyson. It's meant as a neat little floor cleaner that can also entertain cats and dogs.

I also got this deal. Mine has had light use but still works fine. My biggest problem is getting the kids to pick up all their toys so the roomba doesn't suck them up and stop vacuuming.

bigelowb

quality posts: 2 Private Messages bigelowb

I agree! Mine broke on the third use. By then I had already discovered it did a fair job at best and that I spent more time maintaining and cleaning it than it would have taken me to do the floors myself. No takers here!

bradsbrother

quality posts: 4 Private Messages bradsbrother

About how many sqft per charge? probably different on carpet and floor. Experience? And can it find its way from room to room?

aderyn

quality posts: 10 Private Messages aderyn
    tony0014 wrote:For those who mentioned hair getting caught and clogged, I would encourage everyone to buy the upgraded AeroVac bin from the iRobot website for only $35 (http://store.irobot.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4017590&cp=3744764.3358508&s=A-ProductAge&parentPage=family)

It provides a better airflow design and 'sucks' the hair off the brushes into the bin much better. I still clean it before each use, but it's a breeze and not much work, usually just a few hairs to clear away.

ABSOLUTELY! I have this model and added the AeroVac option, and it's amazing how much less hair is caught on the brushes. I have a Cardigan Welsh Corgi, a breed whose shedding is legendary, and I love my Roomba! It doesn't replace my regular vacuum, but it's the perfect companion.

tommyb134

quality posts: 3 Private Messages tommyb134
    bradsbrother wrote:About how many sqft per charge? probably different on carpet and floor. Experience? And can it find its way from room to room?

I estimate that a typical light vacuum cleaning will get 500-600 sq ft per charge on short pile carpet. If floors are too dirty then skip Roomba and get out the old school vacuum instead.

The Virtual Wall included in this Roomba deal will keep the Roomba from leaving an area. This will allow you to clean your larger rooms in sections. If you require intelligent (versus random) room-to-room navigation then you'll need the upgraded Roombas with the Lighthouse feature.

xmichaelx

quality posts: 2 Private Messages xmichaelx

We have 2 dogs and 3 cats, and Rosie the Roomba is a godsend. I probably wouldn't love it so much if we had carpet, but our house is hardwood and slate, so she works perfectly.