zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

wootstalkerbot

quality posts: 10 Private Messages wootstalkerbot

[Preview 1][Preview 2][Preview 3][Preview 4][Preview 5][Preview 6]

HP 14" Dual-Core Chromebook with Free 4G
Price: $219.99
Shipping Options: $5 Standard
Shipping Estimates: Ships in 3-5 business days (Tuesday, Jun 10 to Friday, Jun 13) + transit
Condition: Factory Reconditioned

Buy It Search Amazon Search Google

***Facebook/Twitter notifications enabled***

Woot Tracker | Woot Plus Tracker | Droid App | Chat |Contests | T-Shirt Trade | Derby Stats

ILGal

quality posts: 30 Private Messages ILGal

So...here is a computer on regular Woot and a printer (not a computer) on Computers!Woot

I am confused. :-P

wollern

quality posts: 6 Private Messages wollern

It almost seems that the data plan alone is worth the c.$200. What am I missing?

ILGal

quality posts: 30 Private Messages ILGal

If you are interested in an article that discusses life with a Chromebook, here's a read for you.

luke975

quality posts: 13 Private Messages luke975
wollern wrote:It almost seems that the data plan alone is worth the c.$200. What am I missing?

you'll only get 200 mb a month. nothing earth shattering.

I always did like yardsales.

endmyown

quality posts: 0 Private Messages endmyown

Am intrigued by the 2 years but I am quite rural.

http://www.cnet.com/products/hp-pavilion-chromebook-14/

SoulMover

quality posts: 0 Private Messages SoulMover

HP's site says all Free 4G for two years deals have been upgraded to lifetime: NEW. 2 years upgraded to lifetime! Regardless of purchase date, your device has been upgraded to lifetime of free 4G! No action required by customers, upgrade is automatic.

http://www8.hp.com/us/en/ads/free-mobility/overview.html

millept

quality posts: 1 Private Messages millept
wollern wrote:It almost seems that the data plan alone is worth the c.$200. What am I missing?

Note that the free data is limited to 200MB/month, which is useful for checking email, but which will disappear quickly if you hit any data-intensive web pages (e.g. animated ads) or try to watch any videos.
If you are in an area with FreedomPop coverage, you would do better to buy a plain chromebook and a FreedomPop device which would give you at least 400MB/month free data forever, not just for two years.

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3360 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

Check out this "good" review over at cnet and a couple of solid reviews over at microcenter.com

queenangelfish

quality posts: 3 Private Messages queenangelfish
SoulMover wrote:HP's site says all Free 4G for two years deals have been upgraded to lifetime: NEW. 2 years upgraded to lifetime! Regardless of purchase date, your device has been upgraded to lifetime of free 4G! No action required by customers, upgrade is automatic.

http://www8.hp.com/us/en/ads/free-mobility/overview.html

But with only 200mb per MONTH, I'd use that up in a couple of days. So the question is, how much do you pay for more 4G use?

Jillian109

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Jillian109

This is a great computer if you don't need Windows programs. It has speedy browsing capabilities and is able to handle a lot of tabs being open at the same time. Great price.

wollern

quality posts: 6 Private Messages wollern
luke975 wrote:you'll only get 200 mb a month. nothing earth shattering.

Aye, there's the rub. Thanks for pointing that out.

stephanie12861

quality posts: 0 Private Messages stephanie12861

It would be a deal but T-Mobile isn't available in my area. The nearest coverage is over 40 miles away.

russdog

quality posts: 4 Private Messages russdog
conanthelibrarian wrote:Check out this "good" review over at cnet and a couple of solid reviews over at microcenter.com

The CNET review is for an old less-good model.

This one has the current cpu so it's faster, plus 4gb ram instead of 2gb (so it's better at handling a bunch of open tabs), plus it's got a couple USB 3.0 ports, plus it's got way better battery life, plus it's got a 32gb ssd instead of a 16gb ssd.

This means it's better (IMO) than the LTE version now offered new (which has only 16gb).

The only thing you miss with this one (or any refurb) is the free 2 years of 100gb Google Drive.

ps: Not sure, but I think if you buy a new one, sign up for the free Google storage, then return it, you keep the free Google storage and whoever buys it next doesn't get it. (I could be wrong about this, so don't count on it.)

Russell L. Shackelford

laady24

quality posts: 0 Private Messages laady24

I live in Cairo Egypy
can I use it there
I know I can not use the internet
but the computer I can use it in Egypt

russdog

laady24 wrote:I live in Cairo Egypy
can I use it there
I know I can not use the internet
but the computer I can use it in Egypt

You pretty much need the internet to set it up. Once it's set up, you can do some work offline, but you really need internet access for this to be a viable tool. So, if you cannot use the internet, this is not for you. (Sorry.)

Russell L. Shackelford

ashkale24

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ashkale24

You can always use the wifi..

Prayer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Prayer
russdog wrote:You pretty much need the internet to set it up. Once it's set up, you can do some work offline, but you really need internet access for this to be a viable tool. So, if you cannot use the internet, this is not for you. (Sorry.)

I SURE Egypt has WiFi and from there may be able to get to internet. So he could get it setup and use it normally. To me, 200MB monthly is at best about $2/mo value. So it's not a biggie to give up on.

opensourcepirate

quality posts: 0 Private Messages opensourcepirate

I don't know why this would matter except that HP/T-Mobile might care, but does anyone know if you can put Chrome-OS into developer mode and still use the free internet?

russdog

Prayer wrote:I SURE Egypt has WiFi and from there may be able to get to internet. So he could get it setup and use it normally. To me, 200MB monthly is at best about $2/mo value. So it's not a biggie to give up on.

Sure, Egypt has the internet... but that doesn't mean he/she does. He said he can't use the internet and I don't know anything about his circumstances, so I take what he said at face value.

Obviously he used the internet to post here, but maybe he's at a friend's house or something.

To clarify: he would need internet access somehow... WiFi is fine, using the LTE part is not required. (The only thing the free 200MB/mo of LTE is for is to let you check email if you're stuck at an airport or some other place that has T-Mobile LTE but no free WiFi.)

Russell L. Shackelford

nkgangew

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nkgangew
ILGal wrote:If you are interested in an article that discusses life with a Chromebook, here's a read for you.

My only problem with this read is that it was written over a year ago. Not that it's negative or anything, but Google just made a huge change in the way it does Google Docs, Spreadsheets, and even Drive. In fact, since this Article was written i have since started using Google Docs and Spreadsheets over Microsoft Office, and I own the Premium 2013 edition which includes like 12 services that I don't even use lol.
I've been waiting on a deal like this, but never thought I'd find one sub $300

kren2000

quality posts: 12 Private Messages kren2000

Any chance you can rip Chrome out and put FreeBSD or Linux out? I know many of these have locked down bootloaders, is this one of them?

nkgangew

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nkgangew

You can use AT&T instead of T Mobile, however not for free. Your carrier should read the device either as a tablet or a mobile hotspot ($10 or $20 on AT&T). Here's a link to Google's instructions and that you can use a carrier other than T Mobile and/or Verizon https://support.google.com/chromebook/answer/1095357

loofa

quality posts: 1 Private Messages loofa

Does Woot stand behind this "factory reconditioned" product for 21 days, or is the customer on his own if it arrives defective?

[MOD: If it arrives with a defect, email support@woot.com for assistance. After 21 days, contact HP.]

opensourcepirate

quality posts: 0 Private Messages opensourcepirate
kren2000 wrote:Any chance you can rip Chrome out and put FreeBSD or Linux out? I know many of these have locked down bootloaders, is this one of them?

If you can put the laptop in Chrome OS developer mode, you can install linux inside Chrome OS using crouton.

ehatfield19

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ehatfield19

So if I have wi-fi in my home I'm good to go with this right? My 12 yr old wants a laptop. She's obsessed with minecraft and youtube. Would this be a good deal or no? Help

Erica Hatfield

luke975

quality posts: 13 Private Messages luke975
loofa wrote:Does Woot stand behind this "factory reconditioned" product for 21 days, or is the customer on his own if it arrives defective?

this carries a 90 day hp warranty

I always did like yardsales.

prncplanet

quality posts: 2 Private Messages prncplanet

I was excited to see 2 years free 4g. Then I saw only 200MB per month. I may exceed that by just checking YouTube every so often. So my advice is buy it, if you find the Chromebook to be a good deal. The free 4G is not a great deal and should play no more than a minor role in any buying decision.

cosmicac

quality posts: 6 Private Messages cosmicac

It says eligible for shipping to Hawaii, but no joy at checkout. Was da deal???

[MOD: Apologies. We misstated the shipping. We can't ship this to AK or HI.]

eqquantumcat

quality posts: 0 Private Messages eqquantumcat
kren2000 wrote:Any chance you can rip Chrome out and put FreeBSD or Linux out? I know many of these have locked down bootloaders, is this one of them?

I dont know of any that are locked down to a point you cannot load linux to them. Just google ChrUbuntu and you should find something. ChrUbuntu is the most common flavor of linux for chromebooks. I have done it on both a Samsung and a Acer Chromebook.

lwang

quality posts: 32 Private Messages lwang

I dont see what's the big deal with it only having 200MB/month. I would assume everyone has mobile hotspot capability on their phones, so if you really want to browse, suck up the data from the phone.

Anyway, it only has HSPA+, which is T-mobile's last generation of 4G.

trinculo73

quality posts: 0 Private Messages trinculo73
ehatfield19 wrote:So if I have wi-fi in my home I'm good to go with this right? My 12 yr old wants a laptop. She's obsessed with minecraft and youtube. Would this be a good deal or no? Help

For YouTube it would be great, but as far as I know there's no ChromeOS port for Minecraft, so this'll be no go for that.

greezyg

quality posts: 9 Private Messages greezyg

I thought so too. It's only 200mb. I can go through that in a few seconds.

Smartings

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Smartings

How do you play videos?
I understand there's no VLC for Chrome OS.

Smartings

conanthelibrarian wrote:Check out this "good" review over at cnet

CNET review says it has Ethernet port. But Woot specs don't mention Ethernet. So does it have Ethernet or not?

[MOD: Our offer does not have an Ethernet port.]

Smartings

Will this connect to home Ethernet network with DLNA?

[MOD: Chromebook doesn't support DLNA]

fiat124

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fiat124

Where does the sim card go on this chromebook?

When traveling internationally, can I swap it out for a local sim?

jimmer2007

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jimmer2007

Ok. Several questions. Sorry.

1. Does it overheat? I want something I can actually set on my lap, even with a blanket.

2. Can the 200 mb be upgraded to say, a paid plan with a tad more? I am a Tupperware Consultant and this would be super for on-site order entry if I don't burn through 100 mg per party.

3. iTunes capable?

4. What happens after 2 years of data? Can I re-purchase, etc?

5. Ease of use with external hard drives/USB/flash data storage, specifically music and photos? Anything similar to a media player at all?

6. How much bloatware?

Sorry for the massive influx of queries!