zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

wootstalkerbot

quality posts: 13 Private Messages wootstalkerbot

[Preview 1][Preview 2][Preview 3][Preview 4][Preview 5][Preview 6][Preview 7]

HP 14" Dual-Core Chromebooks w/Free 4G
Price: $199.99 - 219.99
Shipping Options:: $5 Standard
Shipping Estimates: Ships in 3-5 business days (Wednesday, Jul 30 to Monday, Aug 04) + transit
Condition: Factory Reconditioned

Buy It Search Amazon Search Google

Previous Similar Sales (May not be exact model)
7/2/2014 - $199.99 - 160 comment(s)
6/26/2014 - $179.99 - 199.9 - 36 comment(s)

***Facebook/Twitter notifications enabled***

Woot Tracker | Woot Plus Tracker | Droid App | Chat |Contests | T-Shirt Trade | Derby Stats

mkentosh

quality posts: 310 Private Messages mkentosh

it's over!!! Yeah!!!!

spun4621

quality posts: 3 Private Messages spun4621

Just in case you missed the part where it says:

Data for life: 200MB of free data every month for as long as you own and use your device on T-Mobile’s network

Pass!

pauly1206

quality posts: 1 Private Messages pauly1206

No Birthday of Celebrations at the end of the Woot-Off?

oggusfoo

quality posts: 2 Private Messages oggusfoo

So I'm not a town crier when it comes to products that do not deliver on promises. Last time this product was offered I purchased an orange one with a lifetime of 200 megs a month through Tmobile. When I went to activate the sim card in the device on my account, I was informed that there would be no data included with the device and adding a device would normally cost $10 month but they would waive the $10 charge for the privilege of buying additional buckets of data when I needed. Am still in RMA limbo with support@woot.com.

[MOD: For the Lifetime 4G, do not add it to your existing account. Open a new account. As an alternative HP support may be able to send you a SIM.]

OutbackJon

quality posts: 1 Private Messages OutbackJon
SPACE DATE: JULY, 2295

"4G was great back in, say, 2015. But here in the 22nd Century, who cares? Why can't we just cut him off?"

2295 would be the 23rd century.

mdgore

quality posts: 6 Private Messages mdgore
oggusfoo wrote:So I'm not a town crier when it comes to products that do not deliver on promises. Last time this product was offered I purchased an orange one with a lifetime of 200 megs a month through Tmobile. When I went to activate the sim card in the device on my account, I was informed that there would be no data included with the device and adding a device would normally cost $10 month but they would waive the $10 charge for the privilege of buying additional buckets of data when I needed. Am still in RMA limbo with support@woot.com.

Thanks for that bit of info. It's a deal killer. Hate being given the run around by any company. Even if the deal is pretty good just for the machine, doing the old bait and switch on you when you've made the purchase is not cool. I hope it works out for you.

[MOD: For the Lifetime 4G, do not add it to your existing account. Open a new account. As an alternative HP support may be able to send you a SIM.]

When do we get to buy souls?

woncoolone

quality posts: 725 Private Messages woncoolone

LemonAtty

quality posts: 0 Private Messages LemonAtty
oggusfoo wrote:So I'm not a town crier when it comes to products that do not deliver on promises. Last time this product was offered I purchased an orange one with a lifetime of 200 megs a month through Tmobile. When I went to activate the sim card in the device on my account, I was informed that there would be no data included with the device and adding a device would normally cost $10 month but they would waive the $10 charge for the privilege of buying additional buckets of data when I needed. Am still in RMA limbo with support@woot.com.

Sorry to hear this. That should be a pretty simple thing to rectify. I'm out. Now all I need is someone to volunteer to be class rep...

SuperJew4711

quality posts: 1 Private Messages SuperJew4711

Was hoping this guy would come back around in the woot-off, but this is the next best thing. In for one in blue.

What Pants?

mweav6387

quality posts: 2 Private Messages mweav6387

I got the turquoise 16gb model the last time this was offered. Very sleek machine and I get tons of compliments on it. I have installed a side by side linux as well as having set up a virtual machine on a 64gb sd card for all my windows needs.

Surprised to see how far Linux has come since its early elitist code days.

Would recommend for anyone who needs stellar battery life for any type of applications you may need.

Performs like an ultrabook at 1/5-1/10th the cost.

Personally I only use it indoors so I keep the brightness down low but my battery lasts about 9 hours with linux running and almost 11 hours with just browser usage.

Great purchase - no regrets.

spectralguy55

quality posts: 0 Private Messages spectralguy55

Even when (or if) you get that data issue sorted out, you will soon discover how little 200 MB a month is. Streaming anything will chew through that quickly. And, once you've used your 200 MB quota, if you can't afford the charge for more, you are stuck until the start of the next month.

shosterman

quality posts: 1 Private Messages shosterman

I don't know why they told you this, it's incorrect.

Did you go to a store or call T-Mobile? I went to a store, showed them my Chrombook (from a few weeks ago), everyone loved it, and I requested a SIM card. She said I could have the 200MB free no problem or I could upgrade to 1GB and the $10/month would be waived until the end of the year.

So yes, she upsold me, but that's fine as I am loving it and using it more than I thought. I am about half into my month and at 140MB. That's with not asking my clients to join their Wifi when on site so I think you could get by on 200MB with basic usage.

Try a store (or different store) and ask again.

shosterman

quality posts: 1 Private Messages shosterman

Sorry, a quick addendum. I checked my Free promo plan and you need a voice line.

Simple Choice Mobile Internet 1 GB - 2014 promotional plan$10.00/mo

This plan includes:
FREE FOR VOICE CUSTOMERS: Receive an additional $10 discount per month if you have a voice line on your account, making this 1GB promotional plan free through 2014
Unlimited data plan with up to 1GB monthly high-speed data for mobile internet access via the T-Mobile wireless network. Speeds slowed after 1GB.
2014 promotional plan reflects a $10 price discount valid through 2014.
No annual service contract. No domestic overages.
Unlimited music streaming on services like Pandora, iHeartRadio and more that doesn’t count against your 4G LTE data.
Unlimited international web and text while roaming in 100+ countries.

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3472 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

Check out this "good" review over at cnet and a couple of solid reviews over at microcenter.com

HotFusionMan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages HotFusionMan
mweav6387 wrote:I got the turquoise 16gb model the last time this was offered. Very sleek machine and I get tons of compliments on it. I have installed a side by side linux as well as having set up a virtual machine on a 64gb sd card for all my windows needs.

Is the T-Mobile 4G network accessible from those other OS's?

wtrew

quality posts: 3 Private Messages wtrew

Here is a clear summary for those who (like me) are wondering what you can get done on these offline: http://www.zdnet.com/what-chromebooks-can-do-offline-7000027307/

To summarize, the answer is "basic email functions if you use gmail, virtually NO calendar functions, basic editing of Google Drive documents."

Included in the OS itself is a basic media player (for audio [unclear whether only mp3], images, "videos" [unclear what formats]) and a file manager, according to the wikipedia article:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrome_OS#cite_note-Metz-28

kensurber

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kensurber

I got mine a few weeks ago. SIM card was in the box and fairly easy to set up. Love the quick boot-up. I'll use mine for simple emails and documents while on the road.

insightgoalie

quality posts: 0 Private Messages insightgoalie
HotFusionMan wrote:Is the T-Mobile 4G network accessible from those other OS's?

I don't have the machine, but I can say it would. The other OSes are installed putting the machine in Developer Mode and installing Crouton. Crouton allows you to run Ubuntu or Debian in a Linux chroot. It's very similar to a virtual machine, except it is running on the host kernel and using the native hardware so there is no additional virtual overhead and has direct access to the host's drivers. The only downside to chroot is that the guest system has to be compatible with the host system's kernel. So, Windows you could run in a virtual machine using something like VirtualBox, which can setup the bridged or NATed virtual NIC for the guest machine to use. It sounds more complicated than it is. There are plenty of guides and YouTube videos out there.

iwontliveinfear

quality posts: 0 Private Messages iwontliveinfear
spun4621 wrote:Just in case you missed the part where it says:

Data for life: 200MB of free data every month for as long as you own and use your device on T-Mobile’s network

Pass!

It's also not real 4G, it uses HSPA+ that is not 4G. It is enhanced 3G. I don't understand why they get away with calling upgraded 3rd generation software, running on 3rd generation hardware 4th generation. HSPA+ is just HSPA running with a integrated compression algorithm to allow for the perception of faster data transfers. (Gross over simplification, but true.)

HotFusionMan

insightgoalie wrote:I don't have the machine, but I can say it would. The other OSes are installed putting the machine in Developer Mode and installing Crouton. Crouton allows you to run Ubuntu or Debian in a Linux chroot. It's very similar to a virtual machine, except it is running on the host kernel and using the native hardware so there is no additional virtual overhead and has direct access to the host's drivers. The only downside to chroot is that the guest system has to be compatible with the host system's kernel. So, Windows you could run in a virtual machine using something like VirtualBox, which can setup the bridged or NATed virtual NIC for the guest machine to use. It sounds more complicated than it is. There are plenty of guides and YouTube videos out there.

Thanks! Guess I'll be ditching Chrome OS for Ubuntu -- once I get the SIM card mine shipped without. Seems the way to go is take the machine to a T-Mobile store. HP Support has been useless, and woot only just acknowledged that my situation is a known one and that they're working with their vendor on a solution.

hpfa

quality posts: 1 Private Messages hpfa
spun4621 wrote:Just in case you missed the part where it says:

Pass!

Anyone know if that includes T-Mobile networks in Europe? I'd think so as they now include data in 140+ countries in their plans, but have to ask. Internet fees in Europe are still high, so this could pay for itself on one trip - and no longer a need to drink 50 lattes at Starbucks to use their free wifi.

cybercpa

quality posts: 1 Private Messages cybercpa

Does anyone know if T-Mobile network includes roaming - US or otherwise? I have a 3 gen Kindle with very slow but free global internet access which has been a life saver more than once. If this actually has free global internet access, it could be very compelling as an emergency communications device. I'm a long term T-Mobile customer, and fall off the T-Mobile network regularly just driving around the northeast US; having a decent Google Maps access device would be pretty cool too if it at least roamed here.

dtherio

quality posts: 4 Private Messages dtherio

Does anyone know if you can upgrade the SSD on this unit?

Thanks

photography is fun. My personal photography site.

HotFusionMan

hpfa wrote:Anyone know if that includes T-Mobile networks in Europe? I'd think so as they now include data in 140+ countries in their plans, but have to ask. Internet fees in Europe are still high, so this could pay for itself on one trip - and no longer a need to drink 50 lattes at Starbucks to use their free wifi.

No idea, but the program's page at HP is http://hp.com/go/freemobility , maybe that'll lead you to an answer.

HotFusionMan

cybercpa wrote:Does anyone know if T-Mobile network includes roaming - US or otherwise? I have a 3 gen Kindle with very slow but free global internet access which has been a life saver more than once. If this actually has free global internet access, it could be very compelling as an emergency communications device. I'm a long term T-Mobile customer, and fall off the T-Mobile network regularly just driving around the northeast US; having a decent Google Maps access device would be pretty cool too if it at least roamed here.

Somewhere tonight (probably in the comments from the last sale here) I read that this program does not provide roaming.

mweav6387

dtherio wrote:Does anyone know if you can upgrade the SSD on this unit?

Thanks

Yes you can upgrade the SSD.

bscman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bscman

If I buy this and I don't have a T-Mobile account for phones...are they gonna send me a bill every month for $0 + taxes + fees + other stuff?

dtherio

quality posts: 4 Private Messages dtherio
mweav6387 wrote:Yes you can upgrade the SSD.

Thank you!

photography is fun. My personal photography site.

EricPost

quality posts: 3 Private Messages EricPost
iwontliveinfear wrote:It's also not real 4G, it uses HSPA+ that is not 4G. It is enhanced 3G. I don't understand why they get away with calling upgraded 3rd generation software, running on 3rd generation hardware 4th generation. HSPA+ is just HSPA running with a integrated compression algorithm to allow for the perception of faster data transfers. (Gross over simplification, but true.)

Neither is LTE. It doesn't satisfy the technical requirements of 4G.

However the ITU (International Telecommunications Union) later decided the speeds of both were near enough to allow them to be labled 4G.

If you're looking for 4G, the ITU has dedicated that as "TRUE 4G"

alucardi

quality posts: 0 Private Messages alucardi

I like that idea!!

insightgoalie wrote:I don't have the machine, but I can say it would. The other OSes are installed putting the machine in Developer Mode and installing Crouton. Crouton allows you to run Ubuntu or Debian in a Linux chroot. It's very similar to a virtual machine, except it is running on the host kernel and using the native hardware so there is no additional virtual overhead and has direct access to the host's drivers. The only downside to chroot is that the guest system has to be compatible with the host system's kernel. So, Windows you could run in a virtual machine using something like VirtualBox, which can setup the bridged or NATed virtual NIC for the guest machine to use. It sounds more complicated than it is. There are plenty of guides and YouTube videos out there.

mweav6387

HotFusionMan wrote:Is the T-Mobile 4G network accessible from those other OS's?

I have no issue accessing the internet from ubuntu's chrome browser on the tmobile network but thats because its running parallel to chromeos. Can't say that'll be the case for an individual boot of linux.

byrdvt

quality posts: 1 Private Messages byrdvt

Hmm, thinking about getting one of these for my 4th grader. I imagine they can use WiFi and not use up the 200MB data, correct? Also, I suppose there is no way to use MS Office on this thing? This can download play games/apps; sounds like a good deal for a kiddo, no?

aftab7000

quality posts: 5 Private Messages aftab7000

Hello,

I have never used a chromebook.

Is there any 3rd party e-mail software for chromebook ? I use maildroid pro in android tablets.

Thanks folks.

nmccart

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nmccart
bscman wrote:If I buy this and I don't have a T-Mobile account for phones...are they gonna send me a bill every month for $0 + taxes + fees + other stuff?

I have a 2012 Nexus 7 with the 200mb free TMO plan. If I use data during the month, I get an email telling me when my new month starts. Otherwise, no hassle. The setup was all done online. The store and the 1-800 number had no idea how to set me up.

simssj

quality posts: 3 Private Messages simssj
dtherio wrote:Does anyone know if you can upgrade the SSD on this unit?

Thanks

Yes, you can. I upgraded a 16GB unit to 128GB for a hundred bucks.

I'm tellin' you straight when I tell you there are a TON of screws and pieces that need to come out. It's not impossible, but I'd say you should have some experience.

Everything you need to know about it is here: http://chromebook-falco.blogspot.com

I got my replacement hard drive, Prime, from the mothership. Just need to make sure you order the right one.

stevestojan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages stevestojan

Would I be able to run office 365 on this?

morninglark

quality posts: 22 Private Messages morninglark
byrdvt wrote:Hmm, thinking about getting one of these for my 4th grader. I imagine they can use WiFi and not use up the 200MB data, correct? Also, I suppose there is no way to use MS Office on this thing? This can download play games/apps; sounds like a good deal for a kiddo, no?

I used to own a chrome book and regret replacing it with a net book.
However, if you want to run any offline external programs don't get a chromebook. You can use a chromebook offline but it's limited to a handful of apps. But yes, you can connect via wifi and you can use any online programs.

They do start up quickly with few problems and is the reason I regret the net book. I've ended up using my older laptop for offline work anyway so this looks tempting.

If your kid is connected most of the time and doesn't use many offline programs, then this may work. Make sure you go over his google privacy settings with him/her. Once you sign into Google these days, you sign into everything-- email, Google+, Google drive! Etc.