zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

wootstalkerbot

quality posts: 13 Private Messages wootstalkerbot

[Preview 1][Preview 2][Preview 3]

HP 15.6" AMD A6 Quad-Core Notebook - Red
Price: $289.99
Shipping Options:: $5 Standard
Shipping Estimates: Ships in 3-5 business days (Wednesday, Aug 20 to Monday, Aug 25) + transit
Condition: Factory Reconditioned

Buy It Search Amazon Search Google

***Facebook/Twitter notifications enabled***

Woot Tracker | Woot Plus Tracker | Droid App | Chat |Contests | T-Shirt Trade | Derby Stats

lichme

quality posts: 2943 Private Messages lichme

woncoolone

quality posts: 782 Private Messages woncoolone

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3537 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

Time to learn all about the processor

and

Have questions about Windows 8.1? Microsoft is answering your top questions

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 569 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

It'll be hard to misplace this somewhere without noticing it.

Let's hear some comments on this. Good for college? The usual surf & mail stuff?

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

mo92

quality posts: 4 Private Messages mo92

I'd like to know what people think of this laptop. The specs sound like enough for the typical college student.
As long as the computer is fast enough to load woot and help me get a Bee Oh Cee, we're good

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3537 Private Messages conanthelibrarian
mo92 wrote:I'd like to know what people think of this laptop. The specs sound like enough for the typical college student.
As long as the computer is fast enough to load woot and help me get a Bee Oh Cee, we're good

I have a machine with extremely similar specs (I am on it right now) and I am very happy with it. I do not save much on the hard drive, just iTunes stuff and pictures and this seems to be very fast. I would say that 90% of my time on this is surfing the web and it does a great job for that.

pete0

quality posts: 1 Private Messages pete0

Folks looking for more memory, this laptop has only 1 slot. Looks like it upgrades to a maximum of 8gb.

jiggersgreen

quality posts: 36 Private Messages jiggersgreen

Seriously BAD reviews at the mother ship: http://www.amazon.com/Hewlett-Packard-15-d017cl-Quad-core-Processor/dp/B00HNWX43S#customerReviews
And this:http://reviews.costco.com/2070/100114952/hewlett-packard-hp-pavilion-15-d017cl-laptop-amd-a6-reviews/reviews.htm

ThunderThighs

Staff

jiggersgreen wrote:Seriously BAD reviews at he other ship. http://www.amazon.com/Hewlett-Packard-15-d017cl-Quad-core-Processor/dp/B00HNWX43S#customerReviews

To be fair, there are 4 reviews and 2 didn't like it because of Windows 8.

FORUM MODERATOR
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

jiggersgreen

ThunderThighs wrote:To be fair, there are 4 reviews and 2 didn't like it because of Windows 8.

To be even more fair, the other reviews are 4 for 4 thumbs down...Jus' sayin!

ThunderThighs

Staff

jiggersgreen wrote:To be even more fair, the other reviews are 4 for 4 thumbs down...Jus' sayin!

Aw come on. One loved it!

FORUM MODERATOR

jiggersgreen

ThunderThighs wrote:Aw come on. One loved it!

Don't think I'm scoring any points with TT tonight....but
I love my new Teva Men's Refugio Shoes.

ThunderThighs

Staff

jiggersgreen wrote:Don't think I'm scoring any points with TT tonight....but
I love my new Teva Men's Refugio Shoes.

FORUM MODERATOR

bestsportnascar

quality posts: 12 Private Messages bestsportnascar

If you don't think about it too much, with windows 8.1 being $119.99 (newegg), it is like getting a laptop for $170. WOW!

Omnivorous

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Omnivorous

I have an older refurbished H-P/AMD bought from Woot and it is fine, even loading some apps that an Intel desktop has difficulty with.

But I'm curious about battery life on this model?

R70Runner

quality posts: 19 Private Messages R70Runner

Just picked one up during the woot off for my 5th grader (school requires laptop now, no more paper books.) Did so based on two fronts. one least expensive 2.0+ processor speed laptop I could find with more then 500gb hd. and two, couldn't find real genuine complaints about the machine. yeah everyone hates Windows so what, now tell me something I dont know! Can't wait to play with it errrr test it out when it gets here ;-)

spdmsw

quality posts: 3 Private Messages spdmsw

I have an old refurb pavilion and it's a work horse at 6 years old. HP makes a solid PC and they have always been over the top responsive as far as customer service.
I also have am Asus piece of shite that i efing hate which I bought here as well.
I love the HP and it an old vista os. That speaks for itself.

Woody1

quality posts: 14 Private Messages Woody1

I don't think a college kid ever gives a first person review on woot but as a father of two let me weigh in on what they want and what they need for college (Not your 5 year olds....)

They WANT a MAC AIR. I can stop there as they are still learning NOT to be Lemmings and are still UN-informed.

They need:
All day battery life as they think the sleep button is their best friend. Even with 10 second boot-up time, they will just close the lid. A 3 Cell battery is a major fail and this laptop is good for 3 hours new, less is battery wasn't replaced. Collegians will not swap batteries so don't go there thinking that's an option.

They don't need a Tb drive. I don't care how much music you've bootlegged for them, they still won't use but 200-300Gb max.

They hate a challenge with an operating system. WIN 8.1 is not going to be a winner but no version of WIN is really going to make the grade as they will NEED a reliable and subscription to a real Anti-Virus and Anti Maleware suite (Suggest Norton's and Malwarebytes set on scan in background and auto-clean)

They NEED an Office Suite. No Google Docs and free alternatives. Get the Microsoft 365 University deal for $79. It's a 4 year license for 2 PC's and 1 TB cloud storage. Includes all that matters including Skype.

They Need a Web Cam - check!

They Need fast. Processor if new = Check, used it's not as fast as when new people....4Gb Ram? with WIN 8.1 = uncheck, WIN 7 = check

They need decent speakers since many classes are on-line. Yes even when you sent your munchkins away to college, they tend to grab those on-line classes (Who would have thought running from one side of campus to the other in 15 minutes would deter live classroom participation? Or a 2 hour break between classes would interfere with naps and the energy to walk across campus for the third time in a day?)

They Need a non-glare screen (this model, can't tell)

They Need an Otter-Box case for the laptop for all the times it gets dropped or slips off their bed, during their naps.

They NEED screen hinges that will not break and a 90* plug into the laptop. Again they will have a laptop in their lap 90% of the time and pressure on a straight plug will break the pin on the motherboard.

The NEED an award-winning touch-pad as they will never use a mouse. Does this laptop have such a winning touch-pad? Not sure a collegian will admit it.

They don't NEED a supper multi-drive, but do need flash drives and bluetooth.

They WANT small and LIGHT. They will say 15" is too big (ignore them) but if the laptop weights over 2 ponds, expect complaints.

They WANT new and shiny. They GET what we provide or they can buy their own.

They WANT 24x7x365 parental tech support. EXPECT to give it. It may be the only time you hear from your little partiers.

800+ woots! - Talk to the Square or don't
Woot I am bored with you. I want woot 1.0 back!

sreinauer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sreinauer
ThunderThighs wrote:It'll be hard to misplace this somewhere without noticing it.

Let's hear some comments on this. Good for college? The usual surf & mail stuff?

Reply... I just Googled it which you should do... the reviews are NOT very good (especially from Costco Warehouse which also sells it)
"HP Pavilion 15-D017CL 15.6 Notebook reviews"

katfisch

quality posts: 1 Private Messages katfisch

They WANT 24x7x365 parental tech support. EXPECT to give it. It may be the only time you hear from your little partiers.[/quote]

Harsh... but kind of rings true 😢

kerrym3

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kerrym3

Is there any technical difference between the terms Notebook and Laptop?

GirlFromJerzey

quality posts: 2 Private Messages GirlFromJerzey
Woody1 wrote:I don't think a college kid ever gives a first person review on woot but as a father of two let me weigh in on what they want and what they need for college (Not your 5 year olds....)

Excellent post Woody!! Don't know if there are any parents of college kids here, but if so they really need to read this. Which I had something like this when my kids were in school!

GirlFromJerzey

quality posts: 2 Private Messages GirlFromJerzey
kerrym3 wrote:Is there any technical difference between the terms Notebook and Laptop?

I think in general Notebooks are smaller and lighter, have fewer peripherals, and don't have as much processing power. However the lines are being crossed so 'notebooks' by different manufacturers won't all be the same so check the specs.

In MHO a Notebook is generally a lightweight fun device (surfing web, email, music) while a laptop can do all those things and allow you to run applications for work or school.

damntheseglasses

quality posts: 3 Private Messages damntheseglasses

I own two HP refurbs, one a desktop manufacturer refurb I bought here on Woot back in 2009 (that I am typing this on) and another a laptop refurb (I think seller refurb) that I bought on an auction site. No problems with either. In general, refurbs are better than new. With new they just toss them together with untested batches of manufactured parts and if they get a bad batch of one part it screws up a lot of the machines. With refurbs they've figured out what is wrong (i.e. what the bad part is) and fix it.

Seems like a low-risk purchase. My laptop is serviceable but I really want one with a HDMI connection. This has both HDMI and VGA which is very helpful when you need to connect to a large TV or projector for a presentation as you never know what type of connection the monitor or projector will have.

surveyah

quality posts: 1 Private Messages surveyah

but......its RED!

gusvonpooch

quality posts: 24 Private Messages gusvonpooch
sreinauer wrote:Reply... I just Googled it which you should do... the reviews are NOT very good (especially from Costco Warehouse which also sells it)
"HP Pavilion 15-D017CL 15.6 Notebook reviews"

Yes TT you should spend more time looking for bad reviews on products Woot is selling ?

vorant1

quality posts: 4 Private Messages vorant1

Having a college student at UGA, I can speak to the decision that was made 2 years ago. We decided to buy her a "new" business class ASUS laptop and not go the lemming route with APPLE. The battery lasts all day and thankfully is Windows 7. So far that decision has been a good one. Would I have bought her a refurb? No Would I have bought her an HP? NO

[size=30]Vorant1[/size]

surveyah

The bottom pic is showing a different keyboard layout than the top pic.....and is the touchpad red...or black?

ETA: well looks like they took out the bottom pic now so guessing the touchpad is red

loaba

quality posts: 31 Private Messages loaba

With so many of these "fair-to-middling" laptops being offered, all pretty much having the same mediocre specs, you'd think Woot would start specifying things like battery life. That might set some of 'em apart from the others.

loaba

quality posts: 31 Private Messages loaba
kerrym3 wrote:Is there any technical difference between the terms Notebook and Laptop?

No.

Generally speaking if a laptop computer is being billed as a "notebook", it's usually sporting lower-end hardware and won't have a plethora external ports etc.

Like the one Woot is offering right now...

surveyah

anyone have any idea whether it is 64 bit or 32 bit?

surveyah

loaba wrote:No.

Generally speaking if a laptop computer is being billed as a "notebook", it's usually sporting lower-end hardware and won't have a plethora external ports etc.

Like the one Woot is offering right now...

Well i guess i have to disagree...in my experience a Notebook sports a smaller screen and less hardware options (e.g. no DVD drive and Flash drive only). a Laptop is a step up from that with more features.....better display....and more ports and a DVD drive.....like the one one Woot is offering now

eika

quality posts: 0 Private Messages eika

With all due respect, lots of your 'wants' and 'needs' are way off base-- speaking as a current grad school student, and recent college graduate. Online learning isn't for everyone; more than half the people I know took one online class and avoided them the rest of their college career.

What students WANT and NEED depends on their major, their lifestyle, and their expectations. A computer-science major needs something different from an English major needs something different from meteorology major.

How about:
They WANT big screens, so they can see movies with friends on Hulu or Youtube; they WANT to be able to run online games to play with friends during weekly meet-ups; they want excellent battery life but will settle for lots of places to plug in and charge on the go (libraries and common areas tend to have plenty of available spots, and most classrooms have at least one).

I won't touch a touch pad; several others I know can't stand using the mouse. No one in my circle of friends, or either club I joined (100+ people, here) fell asleep with a laptop or dropped it. We used headphones, not speakers. 3/4 of the school, in a survey, did not use MSOffice; we used free alternatives. And macs were almost nonexistent.

Yes, antiviruses and anti-glare screens and many of the other things you mentioned are good, but these aren't necessities. Unless there's a huge difference in what students need between public/private schools (I'm speaking about a state university) or schools in different parts of the country (New England, United States), then while your post is useful... it's not the be-all end-all.

ROGETRAY

quality posts: 158 Private Messages ROGETRAY

Staff

surveyah wrote:anyone have any idea whether it is 64 bit or 32 bit?

per the Specs tab:

Operating System:
Genuine Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

ocelotito

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ocelotito

I need to upgrade the good but ancient windows xp running toshiba that my kids use. My kids are only 8 and 10. They need it to do browsing, text editing, some picture editing. They also run some kids programming languages (Scratch, Alice, that kind of stuff) and they play Minecraft and a few other games. I was a faithful Windows user until I got one with Vista. I became a Mac person but I cannot bring myself to pay more than $500 for a computer for my kids. Would this one do or should I pay a bit more? Are the new Windows better than Vista? Thanks

ksavage68

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ksavage68

Well said, mate. I am a HP tech of many years (22) and all this is correct. I have the 17 Pavilion g7 model and its a winner. Just wanted to add a little about the touchpad. Only buy a windows laptop that has separate buttons for the pad, they can't copy Apples pad for crap, you'll thank me later. This laptop seems to be a great deal and the red is awesome. Jump on it guys!

Woody1 wrote:I don't think a college kid ever gives a first person review on woot but as a father of two let me weigh in on what they want and what they need for college (Not your 5 year olds....)

They WANT a MAC AIR. I can stop there as they are still learning NOT to be Lemmings and are still UN-informed.

They need:
All day battery life as they think the sleep button is their best friend. Even with 10 second boot-up time, they will just close the lid. A 3 Cell battery is a major fail and this laptop is good for 3 hours new, less is battery wasn't replaced. Collegians will not swap batteries so don't go there thinking that's an option.

They don't need a Tb drive. I don't care how much music you've bootlegged for them, they still won't use but 200-300Gb max.

They hate a challenge with an operating system. WIN 8.1 is not going to be a winner but no version of WIN is really going to make the grade as they will NEED a reliable and subscription to a real Anti-Virus and Anti Maleware suite (Suggest Norton's and Malwarebytes set on scan in background and auto-clean)

They NEED an Office Suite. No Google Docs and free alternatives. Get the Microsoft 365 University deal for $79. It's a 4 year license for 2 PC's and 1 TB cloud storage. Includes all that matters including Skype.

They Need a Web Cam - check!

They Need fast. Processor if new = Check, used it's not as fast as when new people....4Gb Ram? with WIN 8.1 = uncheck, WIN 7 = check

They need decent speakers since many classes are on-line. Yes even when you sent your munchkins away to college, they tend to grab those on-line classes (Who would have thought running from one side of campus to the other in 15 minutes would deter live classroom participation? Or a 2 hour break between classes would interfere with naps and the energy to walk across campus for the third time in a day?)

They Need a non-glare screen (this model, can't tell)

They Need an Otter-Box case for the laptop for all the times it gets dropped or slips off their bed, during their naps.

They NEED screen hinges that will not break and a 90* plug into the laptop. Again they will have a laptop in their lap 90% of the time and pressure on a straight plug will break the pin on the motherboard.

The NEED an award-winning touch-pad as they will never use a mouse. Does this laptop have such a winning touch-pad? Not sure a collegian will admit it.

They don't NEED a supper multi-drive, but do need flash drives and bluetooth.

They WANT small and LIGHT. They will say 15" is too big (ignore them) but if the laptop weights over 2 ponds, expect complaints.

They WANT new and shiny. They GET what we provide or they can buy their own.

They WANT 24x7x365 parental tech support. EXPECT to give it. It may be the only time you hear from your little partiers.

ksavage68

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ksavage68

Nope. Same thing.