vagel

quality posts: 0 Private Messages vagel
wizard7926 wrote:

you're right: fuel cells, light speed, and contest times.

let's start some more.. who's gonna win the NHL/NBA Finals?

Edmonton in 5

wizard7926

quality posts: 4 Private Messages wizard7926
DeFlanko wrote:4.20 for Fiji Hi-Octaine volcano filterd water...

water wouldn't have octane in it, since it'd defeat the purpose of using water as a fuel, to replace combustibles like octane-based gasoline, right?

[MOD: No advertising please]

McGuffy

quality posts: 8 Private Messages McGuffy
FenStar wrote:

wait, whn you increase your acc to the speed of light your mass is infinite right?

Unless your mass is zero to begin with I suppose. I'm not a mathemetician, and I agree with you that some of the current explanations don't seem to make sense. I think the whole wave-particle thing is a bit shaky, but it works experimentally, so we use it. But any physicist will tell you that the Standard Theory is a patchwork of theories glued together with hand-coded constants and other such mathematical yuckies.

And that brings us to string theory, the current forerunner in the quest for a unified theory of everything. And it's faaaaaaar from complete.

"There are 2 types of people in the world: Those can extrapolate from incomplete data."

wizard7926

i like the Heat in 6 and the Oilers in 5, too..

McGuffy

wizard7926 wrote:

water wouldn't have octane in it, since it'd defeat the purpose of using water as a fuel, to replace combustibles like octane-based gasoline, right?

Not necessarily -

http://tampatrib.com/Business/MGBKD7YQIGE.html

"There are 2 types of people in the world: Those can extrapolate from incomplete data."

IlleDuce

quality posts: 0 Private Messages IlleDuce
You don't store the electricty, you store the H and O, from what i understand. Also you need a (is it catalyist?) so it will conduct electricty.

There are many applications for hydrogen-powered cars. Most are powered from straight hydrogen, so the problem arises on how this will happen. Some applications employ electrolysis, separating the H from the O in water and expelling the O in some form or another (oxygen by itself is extremely "combustible"). I have heard of an application that harnesses the energy given off by an H2O reaction, but I don't remember the technique . . .

And on that, ladies and gents, I need to get back to work (46 minutes overmy lunch break . . .).

FenStar

quality posts: 16 Private Messages FenStar
McGuffy wrote:

Unless your mass is zero to begin with I suppose. I'm not a mathemetician, and I agree with you that some of the current explanations don't seem to make sense. I think the whole wave-particle thing is a bit shaky, but it works experimentally, so we use it. But any physicist will tell you that the Standard Theory is a patchwork of theories glued together with hand-coded constants and other such mathematical yuckies.

And that brings us to string theory, the current forerunner in the quest for a unified theory of everything. And it's faaaaaaar from complete.

I would think it should be one, as the absloute "0" would null the absoulte "infinity" and leave you with the absolute "1", right? Well. that's how I rationalise it anyways...

Still single, can't imagine why.

FenStar

IlleDuce wrote:

There are many applications for hydrogen-powered cars. Most are powered from straight hydrogen, so the problem arises on how this will happen. Some applications employ electrolysis, separating the H from the O in water and expelling the O in some form or another (oxygen by itself is extremely "combustible"). I have heard of an application that harnesses the energy given off by an H2O reaction, but I don't remember the technique . . .

And on that, ladies and gents, I need to get back to work (46 minutes overmy lunch break . . .).

Use H and O and u get water...

wizard7926

McGuffy wrote:Not necessarily..

thanks, i wouldn't never known. awesome!

wizard7926

FenStar wrote:Use H and O and u get water...

or hydroxide ions (OH), hydrogen peroxide (H2O2)...

someonestolemysig

quality posts: 0 Private Messages someonestolemysig
McGuffy wrote:

There was a rather interesting series (on PBS I believe) that you could watch on the internet. It explained string theory, the concept of there being other dimensions, time travel, etc.

Rather interesting to watch and explained theory in terms us 'laypersons' could understand

FenStar

other than electrolysis, how would we seperate the H and O?
I thought electrolysis was the only way.

McGuffy

wizard7926 wrote:

thanks, i wouldn't never known. awesome!

Yeah, this is cool stuff if it's legit. A local station here did a piece on it. There's a LOT of hydrogen in water. If there's a way to free it up more efficiently than electrolysis (which requires more energy than it releases in hydrogen), then water could make a darn good fuel. I'm skeptical about this technology, but thought the story was relevant.

someonestolemysig

quality posts: 0 Private Messages someonestolemysig
someonestolemysig wrote:

There was a rather interesting series (on PBS I believe) that you could watch on the internet. It explained string theory, the concept of there being other dimensions, time travel, etc.

Rather interesting to watch and explained theory in terms us 'laypersons' could understand

I found the link if anyone happens to have 3 hours to contemplate the universe...
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/elegant/program.html

FenStar

someonestolemysig wrote:

I found the link if anyone happens to have 3 hours to contemplate the universe...
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/elegant/program.html

I don't have anything better to do, but I'm still to lazy.

McGuffy

someonestolemysig wrote:

The oriental gentleman interviewed on there is Michio Kaku. I believe Brian Greene hosted it. It's a great show.

If you're really interested in this stuff, here's my recommended reading (I am not an Amazon affiliate):

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1400033721/sr=8-1/qid=1149530107/ref=pd_bbs_1/104-1197749-3950324?%5Fencoding=UTF8

and

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0375708111/sr=8-6/qid=1149530181/ref=pd_bbs_6/104-1197749-3950324?%5Fencoding=UTF8

And you can't go wrong with works by either of these authors.

qwertyuiop001

quality posts: 0 Private Messages qwertyuiop001
FenStar wrote:other than electrolysis, how would we seperate the H and O?

Chaperones.

gimme my damn monkey

FenStar

qwertyuiop001 wrote:

Chaperones.

I don't get it.

qwertyuiop001

McGuffy wrote:

The oriental gentleman interviewed on there is Michio Kaku. I believe Brian Greene hosted it. It's a great show.

If you're really interested in this stuff, here's my recommended reading (I am not an Amazon affiliate):

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1400033721/sr=8-1/qid=1149530107/ref=pd_bbs_1/104-1197749-3950324?%5Fencoding=UTF8

and

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0375708111/sr=8-6/qid=1149530181/ref=pd_bbs_6/104-1197749-3950324?%5Fencoding=UTF8

And you can't go wrong with works by either of these authors.

Cool, your links say "Fencoding!"

gimme my damn monkey

DeFlanko

quality posts: 0 Private Messages DeFlanko
FenStar wrote:

You don't store the electricty, you store the H and O, from what i understand. Also you need a (is it catalyist?) so it will conduct electricty.

you explain it..

McGuffy

DeFlanko wrote:

{cool techno picture}

you explain it..

Magic.

qwertyuiop001

McGuffy wrote:

Yeah, this is cool stuff if it's legit. A local station here did a piece on it. There's a LOT of hydrogen in water. If there's a way to free it up more efficiently than electrolysis (which requires more energy than it releases in hydrogen), then water could make a darn good fuel. I'm skeptical about this technology, but thought the story was relevant.

First law of thermodynamics: you can't get something for nothing.

gimme my damn monkey

ejvogie

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ejvogie
DeFlanko wrote:
[img]hydrogen car[img]

you explain it..

how come concept cars and any car using an alternative fuel are always so butt fugly?

There are 10 kinds of people. Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

wizard7926

qwertyuiop001 wrote:First law of thermodynamics: you can't get something for nothing.

from an engineer's point of view...... more or less, yeah.

FenStar

DeFlanko wrote:
you explain it..

I don't know what to explain, it's still a combustion engine, just redesined to use hyrodgen and oxygen insted of gasolene, isn't it? I guess I don't understand it.

qwertyuiop001

wizard7926 wrote:i like the Heat in 6 and the Oilers in 5, too..

Just to be contrary: Mavs in 7.

gimme my damn monkey

McGuffy

qwertyuiop001 wrote:

Not trying to. Water is mostly hydrogen. Hydrogen burns real good. But that pesky oxygen is REALLY sticky. If there's a way to unstick it that uses less energy than is available from the newly liberated hydrogen, then you have a way to use water as fuel.

Something for nothing would be a perpetual motion machine. In this case, we are consuming fuel.

FenStar

qwertyuiop001 wrote:

That's the law of EVERYTHING.

qwertyuiop001

FenStar wrote:

I don't know what to explain, it's still a combustion engine, just redesined to use hyrodgen, isn't it? I guess I don't understand it.

Fuel cell. Not combustion. Lots of membranes, probably.

gimme my damn monkey

McGuffy

ejvogie wrote:
how come concept cars and any car using an alternative fuel are always so butt fugly?

Now THAT'S a question worthy of some serious research!

FenStar

qwertyuiop001 wrote:

Fuel cell. Not combustion. Lots of membranes, probably.

Why would you do it that way? I guess I just assumed I know what they where talking about and never found more out about it.

qwertyuiop001

McGuffy wrote:

Not trying to. Water is mostly hydrogen. Hydrogen burns real good. But that pesky oxygen is REALLY sticky. If there's a way to unstick it that uses less energy than is available from the newly liberated hydrogen, then you have a way to use water as fuel.

Something for nothing would be a perpetual motion machine. In this case, we are consuming fuel.

You start with water. You unstick the hydrogen. You use the hydrogen in an engine. You end up with water and energy. That sounds like a perpetual motion machine to me.

gimme my damn monkey

FenStar

qwertyuiop001 wrote:

You start with water. You unstick the hydrogen. You use the hydrogen in an engine. You end up with water and energy. That sounds like a perpetual motion machine to me.

qwerty, stop playing dumb.You have to use electrolisis to unstick the H from the O, just storing elect energy as chem energy.

qwertyuiop001

FenStar wrote:

Why would you do it that way? I guess I just assumed I know what they where talking about and never found more out about it.

Hydrogen/oxygen combustion burns very hot. Hydrogen/oxygen fuel cells are a bit more "controlled," and you get electricity out more or less directly.

gimme my damn monkey

FenStar

qwertyuiop001 wrote:

Hydrogen/oxygen combustion burns very hot. Hydrogen/oxygen fuel cells are a bit more "controlled," and you get electricity out more or less directly.

But I like fire!

plus combustion is directly converted into KE.

qwertyuiop001

FenStar wrote:

qwerty, stop playing dumb.You have to use electrolisis to unstick the H from the O, just storing elect energy as chem energy.

I am arguing against defining water as a fuel. You get energy from a fuel. You have to add energy to water to make it do anything. Water isn't a fuel.

gimme my damn monkey

McGuffy

qwertyuiop001 wrote:

Which is probably why it hasn't been done yet. I did say I was skeptical. It takes more energy to break the covalent bond between the H and the O than is gained by re-oxidizing (burning) the H. From the very brief article I read on the technology I linked to, it sounds like they're using SOME energy from carbon fuels to assist in the separation, so it won't run exclusively on water, it will just use water along with the carbon fuel in this fashion.

I agree with your argument 100%, just summarizing the claims I've seen.

FenStar

McGuffy wrote:

Which is probably why it hasn't been done yet. I did say I was skeptical. It takes more energy to break the covalent bond between the H and the O than is gained by re-oxidizing (burning) the H. From the very brief article I read on the technology I linked to, it sounds like they're using SOME energy from carbon fuels to assist in the separation, so it won't run exclusively on water, it will just use water along with the carbon fuel in this fashion.

I agree with your argument 100%, just summarizing the claims I've seen.

I thought the entire point was to creat a small compact battery... with massive amounts of power.

DeFlanko

qwertyuiop001 wrote:

Chaperones.

LMAO....
couldent help it...

Source:
http://www.res.pickens.k12.al.us/P1010141%20chaperones.jpg

DeFlanko

McGuffy wrote:

Magic.

dark evil corporate black magic.... i agree...