mrtbshaw

quality posts: 3 Private Messages mrtbshaw
glazedfaith wrote:

/rant

More on topic, though, I'm a big fat guy (~300lbs) and I'd like to find a bike that I can ride for more than a week without severe consequences to myself or the bike. Anybody have any recommendations other than losing weight?

I'm a fairly large guy myself (5' 7" and 227lbs) and I have the pro wing. It's not a bad bike. The suspension is capable of making it more firm to handle us beefed up guys, but adjusting the back suspension takes more effort than Republicans are putting into repealing Obamacare.

When I get done with a short bike ride (40 minutes or so) my crotch feels like it is bruised. The seat is super uncomfortable, and I'm too cheap to buy another seat from another company. Had it 4 years, and the chain popped of the first time 6 days ago after 4 years of medium usage. But it was no problem to fix.

Another thing - DO NOT GET THIS BIKE TO RIDE IF YOU ARE PLANNING TO JUST RIDE ON THE ROADS!!!! This bike is solid made! That means it weighs 26 lbs. that is a crapton of weight to be peddling around. Makes a 6 mile bike ride seem like 16 miles....

All in all I would not reccomend this bike to you as a big fella...

Hope this helps...

“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return.”
― Leonardo da Vinci

captjon108

quality posts: 0 Private Messages captjon108

WalMart sells the Mongoose 26” Snarl for $249, add 97 cents to ship to your home. http://www.walmart.com/ip/Mongoose-Snarl-26-Men-s-All-Terrain-Bike/15711161

bluemaple

quality posts: 77 Private Messages bluemaple
ckinling wrote:What are the frame sizes for these bikes? I don't see that listed anywhere. Am I missing it?

If you're asking this question, you're looking at the wrong bikes.

Do yourself a favor and go to a bike shop. (no, I don't have any affiliation with the industry)

djrussell

quality posts: 1 Private Messages djrussell
baybei wrote:Also, Mongoose used to make good bikes. My brother has one from the early 90's, and the bike is a beast. The problem came in where they started selling at Toys R' Us, KMart and WalMart. That is what all of these bikes are. They have Mongoose bikes that aren't available for sale in the US that seem like much better bikes. It's a shame, because I always loved the brand.

Agree 100%. They used to be a good brand. I remember saving up for a Villain when I was younger. That was a nice bike. I used to watch the XGames and remember lots of riders there using Mongoose bikes.

I wanted a quality bike a couple years ago so decided on a Trek SU100. http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/2006/archive/su100
I think it was about $400 which is as much as I wanted to spend. The guy at the shop was trying to push me up the product line and suggested financing. Who wants to finance a bike?!?!

Serafyna

quality posts: 12 Private Messages Serafyna

[quote
More on topic, though, I'm a big fat guy (~300lbs) and I'd like to find a bike that I can ride for more than a week without severe consequences to myself or the bike. Anybody have any recommendations other than losing weight?[/quote]

There are several bike makers that make bikes for people 300-400+ pounds. I found them while looking for recumbent riding bikes - which you also might want to consider if you have any back issues or if you're just looking for something more comfortable to ride.

Honestly, you're probably best going to a bike shop and talking and trying a few things on for size/comfort. That, or if you're on a budget, get some names you like and start combing Craigslist for one for sale. You might also talk to the local bike shop about just replacing the wheels on a decent used bike - steel or worksman wheels.

There are bikes made for people that bike and deliver papers - you might see what the weight load on those are, since they are made to carry more. Google "Worksman" bicycles.

Good luck!

bleatzor

quality posts: 2 Private Messages bleatzor
ROGETRAY wrote:We appreciate your guys heated discussion, but this forum shouldn't be the venue/medium for this type of conversation.

Please limit your posts to topics and thoughts about the Mongoose Bicyles for sale.

Sincerely,
Woot Staff

Yeah, I too think this discussion is taking away valuable forum space that we could be using to reiterate that this is not a good deal and these are not good bikes.

irqzero

quality posts: 3 Private Messages irqzero

Woot, You're really disappointing me. Selling these crappy "bikes" that are made by Chinese children? Please. Have some self respect. These are the crappiest of the crappy. You should all know that these are not in fact bicycles, but "Bicycle shaped objects" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bicycle_Shaped_Object). They will not last, they are heavy, you will be laughed at when you bring it to a bike shop to be fixed, and you'll deserve it. If you want to ride (or your kids or whomever you're thinking about buying for), you're better off buying a used bicycle off of craigslist for less money than these clunkers. Be warned, my friends mongoose front wheel went out after only 6 months. The wheel completely folded, sending him over the handlebars. Riding these on a trail could be suicidal. And please, once you do buy it and find out it's crap, don't try to sell it on craigslist. I'm tired of /bik/ being clogged up with these pieces of swill. Thanks, and rant off.

ekvin

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ekvin

He's absolutely correct. I won a Mongoose playing Quizzo, and took it to a bike shop to pick up some water bottle cages. They wouldn't both fit, as the holes were close to the bottom of the frame and they would just mash into each other. The bike tech looked at me and said "That's what you get for buying a bike made by children."

Even though I had won the bicycle for my superior trivia while drunk skills, I still felt a little ashamed of myself.

irqzero wrote:Woot, You're really disappointing me. Selling these crappy "bikes" that are made by Chinese children? Please. Have some self respect. These are the crappiest of the crappy. You should all know that these are not in fact bicycles, but "Bicycle shaped objects" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bicycle_Shaped_Object). They will not last, they are heavy, you will be laughed at when you bring it to a bike shop to be fixed, and you'll deserve it. If you want to ride (or your kids or whomever you're thinking about buying for), you're better off buying a used bicycle off of craigslist for less money than these clunkers. Be warned, my friends mongoose front wheel went out after only 6 months. The wheel completely folded, sending him over the handlebars. Riding these on a trail could be suicidal. And please, once you do buy it and find out it's crap, don't try to sell it on craigslist. I'm tired of /bik/ being clogged up with these pieces of swill. Thanks, and rant off.

TnBill47

quality posts: 1 Private Messages TnBill47
Skanning wrote:I was thinking the local bike shop for a variety of good reasons... but primarily that they would ASSEMBLE it :-D

Right! That's my question: How much assembly is required? If I'm gonna ride down a steep mountain (or even a shallow hill) I want to be sure that the vehicle won't self-disassemble!

First WOOT 10/4/04, Total WOOTs 250+ </smart>

wisenekt

quality posts: 29 Private Messages wisenekt
yellowfrog wrote:Good deal NOT... $129 in ToysRUs http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4465176

And they will assemble the bike for you. I bought a bike off Amazon in one of their Thanksgiving deals years ago and the thing is still not fully functional. I need to just take the thing down to a bike shop and get them to fix it. This time the issue is the tires won't stay inflated and I don't have the space now to try and fix the tubing, if that is even the issue.

irqzero

TnBill47 wrote:Right! That's my question: How much assembly is required? If I'm gonna ride down a steep mountain (or even a shallow hill) I want to be sure that the vehicle won't self-disassemble!

Even if one of these bikes is 'correctly' assembled, there's no guarantee.

irqzero

wisenekt wrote:And they will assemble the bike for you. I bought a bike off Amazon in one of their Thanksgiving deals years ago and the thing is still not fully functional. I need to just take the thing down to a bike shop and get them to fix it. This time the issue is the tires won't stay inflated and I don't have the space now to try and fix the tubing, if that is even the issue.

TIres don't 'stay' inflated forever. How long are we talking? If they're leaking fast, like within a day, you need new tubes.

integrar0064

quality posts: 1 Private Messages integrar0064
djrussell wrote:Agree 100%. They used to be a good brand. I remember saving up for a Villain when I was younger. That was a nice bike. I used to watch the XGames and remember lots of riders there using Mongoose bikes

Yep, I had a Mongoose in the 90's as well, they were great bikes then. But in 2001 they were bought by Pacific, who makes walmart/toys r us bikes. And they proceeded to just put the Mongoose name on Pacific bikes and subsequently destroyed the brand name.

I will also echo to spend a little more at a local shop, these are junk.

madfire09

quality posts: 3 Private Messages madfire09

Any love for a guy who's 6'6?

jackietherussell

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jackietherussell

I am a female, last time I checked, and have always ridden men's bikes. The frames are sturdier/built better. Plus you don't look like such a kitty-cat (ahem) riding them.

Thanks for the negative reviews, guys, you just saved me $350!

mberwick

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mberwick

two things,

1: feel free to buy and try to do tricks on one of these bikes if you want to end up in the hospital.

2: decent bikes don't come in a "men's" or "women's".

wildrice

quality posts: 2 Private Messages wildrice
mberwick wrote:
2: decent bikes don't come in a "men's" or "women's".

Actually they can. The differences are slight, mostly in ergonomics/sizing.

http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/road/race_performance/madone_7_series/madone_7_9_wsd_h2_compact/#

http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/collections/womens

lumpthar

quality posts: 4 Private Messages lumpthar
bretvanbeek wrote:Mongoose makes garbage. Beware.

Technically, Pacific Cycles makes garbage. Pacific bought the brand many years ago (2001). The pre-buyout bikes were good, but they're getting pretty old at this point.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mongoose_%28bicycles%29

Tyross

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Tyross

The bike they are selling here for $259.00 +possible tax and $5 shipping, which is sold out, can be had at FAO Schwarz for $174.99 + possible tax with free shipping.

Product Link: (exact same bike - look at the pic)

http://www.fao.com/product/index.jsp?productId=10957571

Coupon Code:

$25 off + Free Shipping on Orders $150+

Copy this coupon code: 948347

Enjoy, and Woot your prices are not what they used to be when you were Woot ;)

wisenekt

quality posts: 29 Private Messages wisenekt
irqzero wrote:TIres don't 'stay' inflated forever. How long are we talking? If they're leaking fast, like within a day, you need new tubes.

I have had the bike for 8 years and ridden it twice. Too many issues.

jds13

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jds13

Always wear a helmet when you ride a bicycle. It always amazes me that models in advertising for mass-market bikes don't wear them.

irqzero

Tyross wrote:The bike they are selling here for $259.00 +possible tax and $5 shipping, which is sold out, can be had at FAO Schwarz for $174.99 + possible tax with free shipping.

Product Link: (exact same bike - look at the pic)

http://www.fao.com/product/index.jsp?productId=10957571

Coupon Code:

$25 off + Free Shipping on Orders $150+

Copy this coupon code: 948347

Enjoy, and Woot your prices are not what they used to be when you were Woot ;)

And you'll still be overpaying by about 174 dollars. Seriously people, don't even consider one of these pieces of crap. I'm incredibly disappointed that woot would even be sellIng this carp. Do yourself a favor and don't do it.

irqzero

wisenekt wrote:I have had the bike for 8 years and ridden it twice. Too many issues.

That's because it's junk.

kahluabomb

quality posts: 3 Private Messages kahluabomb
jackietherussell wrote:I am a female, last time I checked, and have always ridden men's bikes. The frames are sturdier/built better. Plus you don't look like such a kitty-cat (ahem) riding them.

Thanks for the negative reviews, guys, you just saved me $350!

Cruise craigslist for a few weeks and you'll definitely find a decent bike for 350-400 bucks that you can resell down the road for about the same.

wootmeharder

quality posts: 11 Private Messages wootmeharder

I used to have a mongoose mountain bike, it was good quality entry-level as these are. However, I would recommend looking on craigslist, you will probably get more for your money there since people sell bikes by the hundred there. Also, as a personal message to w00t, I would like to say that while I understand that many of your customers will be scrawny Internet weaklings, not everyone that rides a bicycle is 5' 8". How about something with an extra-large frame for us guys who are 6' 2''???? or at least give us some frame size variety?

rewolf71

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rewolf71

No women's bikes? you suck.

danielcarew

quality posts: 1 Private Messages danielcarew

I LOVE Woot...but I HATE cheap bicycles.

Buy your bikes at a local bike shop. You'll pay a little more, but they're better bikes.

nyccolef

quality posts: 5 Private Messages nyccolef
wisenekt wrote:And they will assemble the bike for you. I bought a bike off Amazon in one of their Thanksgiving deals years ago and the thing is still not fully functional. I need to just take the thing down to a bike shop and get them to fix it. This time the issue is the tires won't stay inflated and I don't have the space now to try and fix the tubing, if that is even the issue.

Yes, Toys r Us/Walmart/Costco will have the forklift operator take a break and "assemble" the crummy Mongoose & other bikes they sell. The bike store will have a mechanic assemble a real bike correctly. So you won't die when it falls apart on that hill. If you buy any of the bikes woot has offered lately I will pray for you.

dent42

quality posts: 2 Private Messages dent42

Size matters. The fact that the frame size is not specified is your first clue that this is a fail offering. Btw, the 26" and 700cc sizes refer to the wheel size for those that don't know.

Additionally, as others have noted, the relevant question is not "Why are there no women's bikes?" but rather "Why is Woot choosing to victimize only males?" Seriously. Most people who purchase this are going to end up with an ill fitting bike that will be uncomfortable at best and dangerous to their joints at worst.

I disagree that any bike shop will necessarily sell you a better bike. There are plenty of local shops that sell junk. Generally speaking, however, they will try to steer you to a better bike. Make sure they offer a bike appropriate to your size. If they won't help fine tune/adjust the seat and handlebars for you, find a different shop. A properly sized and adjusted bike is a joy to ride. A wrong sized/misadjusted bike will never feel good.

http://bicycling.about.com/od/howtoride/a/MTB_sizing.htm

If a decent new bike exceeds your budget, try to find a knowledgeable friend who can help you find a good used bike. There are many many very nice bikes gathering dust in garages across the country.

ergottwheels

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ergottwheels

They are doing women a favor by not offering this garbage for them. These bikes are the worst junk out there. At best, it will fall apart if you actually ride it. At worst, you will get hurt because it wasn't put together correctly. Good luck taking one of these to a bike shop and asking them to build it. If you are lucky all they will do is put hotdogs down the seat tube so you get to enjoy the stink in a few weeks.

Susan11125

quality posts: 6 Private Messages Susan11125
FritoBandito wrote:+1 to this. I've got a wife and a bunch of daughters, definitely could have been interested in some girl options.

DITTO !!!

Love Woot!

bruceedge

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bruceedge

These are toy store bikes. Chinese pot metal and weigh 50 lbs. This a what you buy if you're not planning on spending any time on it.
Come on woot, give a deal on some Colnago/Specialized/Bianchi/Giant/etc carbon machines or some real mountain bikes with 160mm forks, not these toys.

highonpez

quality posts: 7 Private Messages highonpez
danielcarew wrote:I LOVE Woot...but I HATE cheap bicycles.

Buy your bikes at a local bike shop. You'll pay a little more, but they're better bikes.

Yes. I really hope nobody buys these bikes expecting much.

colebeck

quality posts: 14 Private Messages colebeck

Stay away. Apparently, this used to be a good brand of bicycle. Between my wife and I, we've had three. All were terrible. Now, I can't tell you what models they were, but it must be some indication of the brand in general. They were heavy, the gears and braking systems seemed of poor quality, and mostly they were really heavy. We couldn't even ride without something malfunctioning. Obiviously, don't take it on anything more than a flat off-road trail. These aren't even close to decent off the road. My wife took hers on a ride with a friend, going up a relatively small incline and something in the shifting mechanism broke to where it made her bike basically unridable for the remainder. By chance, I found 2 replacement bikes on craigslist, and am absolutely blown away. These new ones are mid-level bikes (Diamondback), and having always had bad bikes before, I must say it is night and day. The weight difference is amazing, and the quality is too. I paid $300 for the pair of them on CL, barely used (1 for me, 1 for wife) and they have already paid for themselves, and the crappy Mongoose ones. Sorry if this seems long winded, I just dislike this brand...a lot. Hope this helps someone. Do yourself a favor and spend a little extra dough for a decent bike, or look for a good deal. This, this is a terribad deal.

roussie

quality posts: 2 Private Messages roussie

You know these are bad bicycles when the guy in the picture isn't wearing a helmet. Always wear a helmet!

Also I'm sure this has been said but these are not worth the money. I bought a similar moongoose bike at Target before I really going into cycling and it was just that: A Target bike. If you ride like a few times a summer this may be the bike for you. Otherwise you should be looking to spend about $1000 to get a decent bike. With that it should come with a fit which will give you a more comfortable and efficient ride.

klowe7

quality posts: 0 Private Messages klowe7

No women's bikes??? Bummer...

julfling

quality posts: 0 Private Messages julfling

I ordered the Snarl men's all terrain bike while working, and quickly realized the error of my ways... I should have researched first. The bike's cheaper at walmart, two strikes immediately because they also sell it at walmart. Not sure when Mongoose went into the crapper but I've now tried to cancel my order and of course, I'm not allowed. What's with the no order cancellations? By any stretch of the imagination a "streamlined shipping process" cannot negate the ability of a company to cancel an order. So now that I've paid too much for a piece of junk, I have to physically receive the item and then pay to have it shipped back?
Shame on you woot, it's evident you're approach to selling has become the same as late night As soon on TV sales companies. To make matters worse I'm sure the bike won't ship for 3 or 4 business days, so Woot gets to keep my money until they feel like shipping the item, and I have to pay to send it back...
Not cool Woot, thought you were better than this.

RayLayton

quality posts: 0 Private Messages RayLayton
julfling wrote:... Woot gets to keep my money until they feel like shipping the item, and I have to pay to send it back...
Not cool Woot, thought you were better than this.

You could be at the delivery location when it arrives and refuse the order. Of course that assumes that Fedex/UPS/USPS doesn't ding-dong-ditch you with the package.

ptr

quality posts: 3 Private Messages ptr

These are BSO's. Bicycle Shaped Objects.

That applies to anything you will see in a dept store.

If you want to ride a bike, please get thee to a real bike shop. Talk to the guys. Ride a few in your price range. Take home the one you love the best.

Take care of it, and it will literally last the rest of your life.

I have a 1982 Fuji, bought new for $600. The guy who drove me to the bike shop thought I was nuts for spending that much on a *bicycle*.

30 years and 30,000+ miles later, it still rides great. Bikes of this quality, I'd be on the 10th one by now. And had a crappier ride the whole time.

cvanderaa

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cvanderaa

Where are the women's/girls bikes?? Do we not matter? Who do you think does most the shopping?? WOMEN! PhFT!

Christine A.van der Aa