Firebert

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Firebert

My wife recently purchased a hair dryer like this, she found the angle of the handle to be awkward. Also the balance was off and so all in all it was a clumsy thing to use.

tim74

quality posts: 3 Private Messages tim74
DaZoneRanger wrote:1875 watts isn't uncommon for blow dryers. I just checked and my Remington Solutions hair dryer that I bought from Big Lots a few years back for $14.99 is also 1875 watts. I use it every day and it doesn't trip the breaker.

My daughter has pulled my hair dryer off the counter a bunch of times and the back broke off. The fan is still shielded, but another fall could knock the plastic vent off (I can probably just pull it out by hand...it's ready to go). I think it's time for another hair dryer, so I may go for this. I gotta decide if this is any different, better, or worse than the one Costco always has for $20. That one is also an 1875w blow dryer and has the same ceramic and tourmaline claims (goodness gracious, even Costco (and EVERY store you can think of that carries blow dryers) carries 1875w blow dryers!1 Gasp!! Pshhhh).

That sounds more like marketing bravado. And Big Lots products are no stranger to that. By definition a 15 amp circuit at a full 120 volts can only output 1800 watts. Space heaters are almost always maxed out at 1500 watts and tend not to lie about their abilities.

If this truly does 1875 watts, you'll need it to be on a 20 amp circuit with little else shared.

gak0090

quality posts: 84 Private Messages gak0090

Perfect- I bought 2.

AerodexdotCom

quality posts: 4 Private Messages AerodexdotCom

I would love to know more technical details about this feature "infused with frizz-reducing ceramic". Can anyone explain just what frizz-reducing ceramic is, and how it is different than regular ceramic?

A

tim74

quality posts: 3 Private Messages tim74
AerodexdotCom wrote:I would love to know more technical details about this feature "infused with frizz-reducing ceramic". Can anyone explain just what frizz-reducing ceramic is, and how it is different than regular ceramic?

It makes you look less Chia and more Mayan.

n3rdy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages n3rdy

Amen to that!

boomn4x4

quality posts: 14 Private Messages boomn4x4
theguruguys wrote:It has very Goody reviews at Amazon!

Check out the dates on those reviews...First one is on March 8th, there are then 15 more reviews up to May 1. All of them are 5 stars, almost all of them state they received it as a "sample from Goody". Many of them explicitly say they were given the dryer and told to review it.

After May 1, there are only 2 more reviews and both of them are 4 stars.

I'm not suggesting this is a bad hair dryer, but its hard not to give a product a high rating when it was free in the first place.

When what to my wondering eyes should appear, but a bucket of wings and a six pack of beer!

diane261

quality posts: 0 Private Messages diane261
ThunderThighs wrote:Found this in the FAQ that WhatsamattaU linked above:

My appliance is not dual voltage. Can I still use it abroad?
Do not use your Goody Heat blow dryers in countries with 220.240 volt electrical systems; use only with 110/120 volt electrical systems.

You can easily find an adapter for travel that enables you to use most things you need.

greenfelderkl

quality posts: 5 Private Messages greenfelderkl
ThunderThighs wrote:I'd buy it if it had gone to 11.

FTW. Well played!

shijusn

quality posts: 1 Private Messages shijusn

Does this support 240 Volts?

countdown

quality posts: 14 Private Messages countdown

I've needed a blow dryer for about a year now... I guess I can splurge.

Just in time to keep my hair from freezing into icicles this winter.

gramasheemie

quality posts: 1 Private Messages gramasheemie
thewronggrape wrote:10 heat settings??

I understand, say 3 (low-med-high) or even maybe 5, but 10? Is there that much of a noticeable difference between setting 6 and 7? Or 7 and 8? I just don't get the need for so many heat settings.

The 10 setting might be handy when my icemaker needs defrosting.

brfiesin

quality posts: 4 Private Messages brfiesin

The first time I almost bought something but didn't because of the description!

I woot too much.

Misunderstood

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Misunderstood
meandsecoya wrote:In for three. One for me (because the nice, expensive one I've had for years died last week and the one I bought for $10 on clearance as a spare has no attachments), one for my step-daughter since the spare was going to be a b-day present until mine died and I used it, and one to add to the miscellaneous backup gift stash. Add my JumboWoot coupon and you can't beat three hair dryers for under $30.

Your logic would make every retailer smile. Keep up the spending, you CANT be beat!!!

lakedawg

quality posts: 1 Private Messages lakedawg

Is it quiet?

melaniestl

quality posts: 1 Private Messages melaniestl

Ha!

CooperDude

quality posts: 10 Private Messages CooperDude
shijusn wrote:Does this support 240 Volts?

If you're American and live abroad and you wish to use this unit with 240 volts, there is a perfect time to do so. On the 4th of July plug this baby in and you'll get your very own fireworks show right there in your bathroom.

nunyadamnbizness

quality posts: 7 Private Messages nunyadamnbizness

Now with 10 unique selective-hearing settings?

Didn't know that selective hearing dried your hair.....

dh4645

quality posts: 3 Private Messages dh4645

bought 1 for the wife. her one she loved just died and she bought a replacement that she doesnt like. hopefully this one will be what she wants.

dh4645

quality posts: 3 Private Messages dh4645
boomn4x4 wrote:Check out the dates on those reviews...First one is on March 8th, there are then 15 more reviews up to May 1. All of them are 5 stars, almost all of them state they received it as a "sample from Goody". Many of them explicitly say they were given the dryer and told to review it.

After May 1, there are only 2 more reviews and both of them are 4 stars.

I'm not suggesting this is a bad hair dryer, but its hard not to give a product a high rating when it was free in the first place.

i agree and most just look made up by the goody employees. ha

there are only 2 actual people who bought it on amazon so i would trust their 4 star reviews

thewronggrape

quality posts: 49 Private Messages thewronggrape
whatsamattaU wrote:

FAQ with stuff about the 10 settings
http://www.goody.com/FAQs
[/url]

Thanks! For those too lazy to click and find it:

WHAT IS THE BENEFIT OF SMARTTEMP'S 10 HEAT SETTINGS?

SmartTemp's 10 heats settings allow for a truly customized blow out. Lower heat settings may be used on fine, delicate hair whereas higher heat settings can be used for thicker, coarser hair.

Here is a quick guide for finding the right temperature for your hair type:

1. Warm: Gentle Heat for Sensitive Heads
2. Smoothing: Use the cool shot button for the last :15 seconds along with setting 2 to lock-in smooth styles
3. Fine Hair: Perfect blowout-heat for fine hair
4. Diffusing: Diffuser for long-lasting curls
5. Volume: Flip hair over while drying for volume
6. Waves: Scrunch hair with setting 6 for loose waves
7. Straight Hair: Ideal for straight hair
8. Blowouts: Concentrate for smooth, frizz-free blowout styles
9. Speed: Powerful fast drying
10. Fast Dry: Ideal for Thick Hair types

WHAT TEMPERATURE WOULD YOU RECOMMEND I USE FOR MY PARTICULAR HAIR TYPE?

Here is a quick guide for finding the right temperature for your hair type:
Settings 1-3: For gentle waves and fine hair
Settings 4-5: For medium hair types
Settings 6-8: For thick hair types
Settings 9-10: For curly/coarse hair types and tighter curls

###

So I have fine, long, straight hair. So according to this, I should use setting #3, unless I'm in a hurry (usually), in which case I should use #9, and if I want volume, switch to #5 while drying, though it says #7 is ideal for straight hair, or is to straighten hair... um. Yeah.

I just use the HIGH setting on my current one because I'm always rushing in the mornings, but it's about 6+ years old and not very effective anymore so this does have my interest.

Alan69

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Alan69
AerodexdotCom wrote:I would love to know more technical details about this feature "infused with frizz-reducing ceramic". Can anyone explain just what frizz-reducing ceramic is, and how it is different than regular ceramic?

For room heaters, it means instead of the wire heater element touching the air, it's surrounded by oil or ceramic or quartz, and heats that instead, then the air passes over that. Instead of the very high temp wire cooking the air directly, the air goes over a more distributed, lower temperature surface to pick up heat.

Takes out most of the burned and ozone smell of a heater, likely going for the same for the dryer..

stephbbear

quality posts: 0 Private Messages stephbbear
lakedawg wrote:Is it quiet?

MY QUESTION EXACTLY...is it quiet? Seems questions go on and on but very few end up with a real answer. I am pleased to see that someone did answer that it weighed 2 pounds and someone said it was 'awkward' to handle.....Is it quiet???

stephbbear

quality posts: 0 Private Messages stephbbear
stephbbear wrote:MY QUESTION EXACTLY...is it quiet? Seems questions go on and on but very few end up with a real answer. I am pleased to see that someone did answer that it weighed 2 pounds and someone said it was 'awkward' to handle.....Is it quiet???

The write up of the little 'story' of wife using hair dryer suggests you need a head set to protect ears equivalent to the kind while working on jet engines! :-/

neuropsychosocial

quality posts: 171 Private Messages neuropsychosocial

Hair dryer goes to 10 but not 11? Deal-breaker!

tim74 wrote:If this truly does 1875 watts, you'll need it to be on a 20 amp circuit with little else shared.

I believe the current NEC requires bathroom outlets to be on a 20 amp non-shared circuit (and GFCI'd, of course). Obviously most homes aren't yet running a dedicated 20 amp circuit to the bathroom, but some are.

RIP A.A. Blanks (Obituary)

inthelead

quality posts: 7 Private Messages inthelead

I am thinking a light weight leaf blower for all these dang leaves in my yard now. Also, these would be useful in NJ right now if you could get electricity.

theguruguys wrote:The heat settings can be very useful when using the hairdryer for other applications than drying hair like removing stickers or vinyl, bubble gum, etc.

Here are "13 Unusual uses for a hair dryer". The variety of heat settings on this dryer will let you find the 'sweet spot' for some of these tasks.

jxkoepk

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jxkoepk
phoebus13 wrote:What's this!? I said take only what you need to survive!

It’s my industrial strength hair dryer. And I CAN’T LIVE WITHOUT IT!

gak0090

Anyone know if this is an AC motor or a DC motor, I can't find that info anywhere.

tcopat

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tcopat

FTW!

jkmahan

quality posts: 9 Private Messages jkmahan

Instruction Manual -

http://dlnmh9ip6v2uc.cloudfront.net/datasheets/Tools/Heaterizer-Instructions-02.pdf

Note this is for a similar product.

Twisteddecision

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Twisteddecision
tesla33 wrote:At last: a hair dryer that will blow your fuse or trip your breaker without having to be dropped (or thrown) into the tub! At 1875 watts, this will blow any 10 amp circuit on high, any 15 amp circuit with anything else on it, and even some 15 amp circuits with nothing else on them. How does such thoughtfully designed merchandise ever end up on Woot...?

Yea... 120v @ 1875w = 15.6amps, and 110v @ 1875w = 17amps!

15amp breakers are pretty standard in housing, and I've never seen anything above 1500w, ussually being electric space heaters.

1875w is a little on the high side.

kings2ufernand

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kings2ufernand

Smart temp? Maybe, but it is not efficient usage of electricity at 1875 watts. Hello!

meandsecoya

quality posts: 18 Private Messages meandsecoya
Misunderstood wrote:Your logic would make every retailer smile. Keep up the spending, you CANT be beat!!!

Which is why I decided to share. I like to make Woot smile. ;-)

PurplePawprints elsewhere

StanleyS

quality posts: 5 Private Messages StanleyS
gak0090 wrote:Anyone know if this is an AC motor or a DC motor, I can't find that info anywhere.

Can we assume that you are being sarcastic?

shariiscool

quality posts: 0 Private Messages shariiscool

I like my appliances to be Smart

Crotts21

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Crotts21
lakedawg wrote:Is it quiet?

How quiet it is to you completely depends on which of the ten "hearing settings" you put it on.

gak0090

StanleyS wrote:Can we assume that you are being sarcastic?

Hard to believe, but actually I was not being sarcastic. The AC motors put out a lot more air.

http://www.misikko.com/blowdryers-ac-dc.html

GenMischief

quality posts: 7 Private Messages GenMischief
cvcoast wrote:Calling her wifey certainly won't.

Some wifey's like being called wifey.

-Jim

MISRy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages MISRy

Got this yesterday. Fastest Woot! to me so far.

branflake12

quality posts: 1 Private Messages branflake12

Mine showed up yesterday via UPS overnight (?). Wifey (yeah, she likes it) says its good stuff. On max it didnt trip our 15A breaker, either.