tvwazhere

quality posts: 5 Private Messages tvwazhere
Tex_Estores wrote:The battery life will not be enough for some of our bike rides, could we just take a spare battery to use when it starts to run low or would that erase everything that has been recorded to that point? The record space is a lot larger than the battery strength.

They do sell spare batteries if you go to swann's website.

tvwazhere

quality posts: 5 Private Messages tvwazhere

I bought this 6 months ago when it came out May 25th. I've been using it since June 5th as a dash cam, and currently have 6 months of video on my laptop, taking up over 500GB of hard drive space. It works exactly as I had hoped it would, every expectation met and satisfied

Cadderly

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Cadderly
tvwazhere wrote:They do sell spare batteries if you go to swann's website.

There are TWO versions of the battery and both have the exact same part number. Swann does not have spare battery that fits the ones I got from last woot. I suspect it's the same with this deal too. The batteries that came with the camera have manufacture date of 20120505 whereas the spare one Swann sent me have date of 20120202. I'm still trying to get the RMA processed by Swann to return the wrong batteries they sent me.

chesteadman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages chesteadman

Don't know if I missed this anywhere, but does this have compatibility with an iPhone app that would allow me to remotely see what the camera is filming?

I ask because the GoPro cameras have this feature and it seems like a pretty attractive selling point.

joelzinho

quality posts: 1 Private Messages joelzinho
mbasilepa wrote: When SCUBA diving the ability to change settings while underwater makes the GoPros more versatile.

Any idea on the depth rating for the case?

Joel G Maran

chrismarois

quality posts: 0 Private Messages chrismarois
joelzinho wrote:Any idea on the depth rating for the case?

I am not 100% sure what it is rated for, but I have taken it on multiple dives to over 80' and have had no problems with leaks. I think the max I had it to was 89'. Here is a link to a picture album from one of those dives. The videos tend to be much better. I used no light for most of these pictures except the ones where the light hotspot is clearly visible. Remember these are all at 85-89':

http://imgur.com/a/RrE6u

Cadderly

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Cadderly

20m

qwiktune

quality posts: 3 Private Messages qwiktune
chesteadman wrote:Don't know if I missed this anywhere, but does this have compatibility with an iPhone app that would allow me to remotely see what the camera is filming

I dont think so. The Go Pro you speak of has bluetooth for you to connect to it. This one doesn't

bonte

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bonte
visCera wrote:Does anyone know if this will attach to the night vision bracket on an ACH?

If the mount is the same, you can get the NVG mount for the GoPro (on Amazon for $21). I don't know if it will work with this camera, but the photos look remarkably similar to the GoPro's mounting system. Can anyone confirm?

mbasilepa

quality posts: 3 Private Messages mbasilepa

Don't know what it is for the Swann, but it's plenty deep for the GoPro. Unfortunately, you only get decent video to about 30 feet, once you start to go deeper the dreaded 'doesn't do well in low light' thing starts to creep in and the quality degrades pretty fast. (unless you're planning to use video lights, but then I'd think you'd have a better rig than one of these)

(after a quick trip to Google: Amazon has it at 65ft/25m http://www.amazon.com/Swann-Freestyle-Waterproof-Sports-Camera/dp/B005EROCLC )

mbasilepa

quality posts: 3 Private Messages mbasilepa
chrismarois wrote:I am not 100% sure what it is rated for, but I have taken it on multiple dives to over 80' and have had no problems with leaks. I think the max I had it to was 89'. Here is a link to a picture album from one of those dives. The videos tend to be much better. I used no light for most of these pictures except the ones where the light hotspot is clearly visible. Remember these are all at 85-89':

http://imgur.com/a/RrE6u

I will add, the fact that the Swann case has a FLAT lens makes a world of difference in the underwater videos/stills.

The GoPros, until recently with their new underwater housing, were terrible. Very blurry because of the domed lens, and required 3rd party 'fixes' to get good quality underwater.

snlsmith1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages snlsmith1

I bought two of these the last time they were offered. Made this vid (in 720p) on the dirtbike in the backyard. Sorry for the bad camera angle, didn't use the laser of LCD to aim. Seems to do light transitions decently well. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FugfyALTzZ0

porcia83

quality posts: 0 Private Messages porcia83

looks good for the price!

schmuck18

quality posts: 1 Private Messages schmuck18
stevethorpe wrote:I bought one first time around, and have compared my vids with many friends' GoPro vids (Hero 1 & 2) Not sure how they compare to the newest GoPro Hero 3 but they compare very favorably with the Hero 2. And for what you get for the price there is really no comparison.

How does it compare for durability? I'd love the idea of a second GoPro at this kind of price, but I'm hesitant. Replacement mounts look to be readily available, but housings not so much.

I can't find any comparisons for their shock/impact resistance, and I certainly have not been kind to my GoPro.

Anyone have any stories to share about what kind of abuse this little guy can take?

erikhinzmn

quality posts: 1 Private Messages erikhinzmn

Sound quality is non-existent. I bought the hero 2 after I bought this and used an external mic, wrapped in a tube sock. took some great pics with it in vegas however..

no enhancements, just cropped..

mpreputnik

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mpreputnik

I have not gotten good quality video yet. I have tried it a couple times and it always plays back very choppy on my mac. I've yet to try viewing the videos on a pc.

puddlejumper3000

quality posts: 0 Private Messages puddlejumper3000
mikesth wrote:Bought one of these last sale for use with my motorcycle. I have been very pleased with the quality and value. Very sturdy - I had a Ram mount system in place I had used for a vidcamera and the Swann worked great with the mounting system. Very little vibration, very good video and photo quality. The remote sets it apart and works great. Recommended.

Thank you sir, I'm in for one. No longer will I suffer with a Kodak zx1 'flip-video' clone thing.

I do have a question regarding the remote, though. How does it work? Will it turn the camera on and off by itself? Or does the camera have to be 'on' or in some sort of 'stand-by' mode and the remote just starts or stops recording?

I ask because, like you, I'll be using it on a motorcycle and probably some cars and I'd be wearing gloves. Will it be easy to start and stop recording, or will I have to mess with it a bunch?

-peet
many woots
multiples of a few, singles of most
unable to buy any Bunch of Cheer

jims123

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jims123

I've had mine since i bought it here over 6 months ago. I like it a lot.. it's great in a swimming pool with the grand kids..yes you can hear the audio around it thru the u/w case.. the images are very clear but it's not quite as sharp as a GoProHero2. the case and battery life are great. Controls are very easy to use.. i just wish it were much smaller so i could put it in a hat brim and shoot hands free..

erikhinzmn

quality posts: 1 Private Messages erikhinzmn
puddlejumper3000 wrote:Thank you sir, I'm in for one. No longer will I suffer with a Kodak zx1 'flip-video' clone thing.

I do have a question regarding the remote, though. How does it work? Will it turn the camera on and off by itself? Or does the camera have to be 'on' or in some sort of 'stand-by' mode and the remote just starts or stops recording?

I ask because, like you, I'll be using it on a motorcycle and probably some cars and I'd be wearing gloves. Will it be easy to start and stop recording, or will I have to mess with it a bunch?

It needs to be in standby mode, however, the remote has a belt clip with 3 large buttons on it, so "RECORD, "STOP" and "CAPTURE" are simple to do on a bike with gloves.

puddlejumper3000

quality posts: 0 Private Messages puddlejumper3000
erikhinzmn wrote:It needs to be in standby mode, however, the remote has a belt clip with 3 large buttons on it, so "RECORD, "STOP" and "CAPTURE" are simple to do on a bike with gloves.

That sounds great, especially if I have the cam far enough away that I can't hit it easily. Thanks again, sir.

-peet
many woots
multiples of a few, singles of most
unable to buy any Bunch of Cheer

mikesth

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mikesth

Leave the camera in standby and I mount the remote to my handlebar. Three buttons - one to start video, one to stop and one for stills - using the backscreen before you put the camera in the impact case, you can set all the video specs AND you can set the stills to take single, 3 shot or ten shot rapid fire (I'm going on memory) - the user manual is informative and downloadable on the Swann site.

One other item of note, when the camera is in the housing(which is what you want on a motorcycle, the distance the remote works is about 4' - I checked the battery in the remote and it is NOT replaceable without extensive surgery(stupid design) but you can order additional remotes that can be synced with the camera for $10/each free shipping. Pairing takes less than two minutes.

My MC videos are at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pn5RsDO-UXk&feature=channel&list=UL this one is on a rainy dark day. the 2012 videos on my youtube channel are the Swann. I have much better video from the three sisters in October I've not yet loaded. Here is a link to an exceptional stylized MC still http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj87/mikesth/swann.jpg

Hope all this helps - price is cheap, no downside

puddlejumper3000 wrote:Thank you sir, I'm in for one. No longer will I suffer with a Kodak zx1 'flip-video' clone thing.

CuzzinMerl

quality posts: 23 Private Messages CuzzinMerl
danwat1234 wrote:"Laser Power: 1MW"

LOL. 1,000,000W What is the laser for anyway?

The laser is used to aim the camera. The LCD display on the back is detachable (for instance, if you want to put the camera in the clear housing) so to help point the camera you turn on the laser. Be sure to turn it off before you blind someone.

plove999

quality posts: 0 Private Messages plove999

Laser is for pointing the camera...
1MW"

LOL. 1,000,000W What is the laser for anyway?

Does this camera have stereo microphones or just mono (single)?[/quote]

plove999

quality posts: 0 Private Messages plove999

copy the video to the desktop before playing, choppy playback from the card is to be expected.

mpreputnik wrote:I have not gotten good quality video yet. I have tried it a couple times and it always plays back very choppy on my mac. I've yet to try viewing the videos on a pc.

nunnboys

quality posts: 1 Private Messages nunnboys

Will the camera work as a web cam? Used mainly for web streaming?

secretagentbill

quality posts: 1 Private Messages secretagentbill

I am quite surprised by all of the good responses on this camera. My experience has been completely opposite...poor video quality, wobbly and shaky picture with any bit of movement of the camera, etc. But just the other day, I finally (after a month) got a response from Swann support mostly blaming it on exposure time (on a sunny day) but then in the end offering an RMA. So hopefully if I get a replacement I'll find myself in the same boat as all of these other happy fans!

joelmcminn

quality posts: 0 Private Messages joelmcminn

I've used it at the desk only over a couple days. Have 2 years active use of a HERO-1 as reference point. I think this is good value
$140 for a package performance like GOpro1 or 2 with video-back and remote control. Don't need the Laser.

Printed manual is too fine print so: http://www.swann.com/webfiles/download/1635freestyle_hd_sports_v1.0.pdf

Attachment clips similar but not interchangeable with gopro, a std 1/4 thread attachment on body and on waterproof case allows use of clips, camera rotates 360 - for instance on helmet-top you can reach up and rotate to side or back.

Cam body is same size as Gopro. Waterproof case and all attachments quite similar to GoPro quality materials & appearance.
Remote works 22' without case, 15' inside the waterproof case at any angle.

Construction and strength of all components similar to gopro.
Data-back quite helpful, simple menus, can review clips, active viewfinder. Sadly is black when external powered.

Starts a new .MOV video file every 30 or 15 minutes (aprx) with no time lag between. (30 min files are about 2gb)

Video is not as wide angle as Gopro - about 110deg on 720/60 setting, 85deg on 1080p.

Video quality - a number of comparisons are on youtube so I'll not discuss. Side-by-side on my screen seem similar and acceptable

Video capacity - Charged battery set at 720/60 captured 2+hrs of video in 5 files totalling 8gb in a no-action video.

joelmcminn

quality posts: 0 Private Messages joelmcminn

Use the remote to start/stop videos! Then you don't have to wade thru the un-fun stuff online.
My test - 1 charge gets 8gb 2+ hrs at 720/60.

tvwazhere wrote:They do sell spare batteries if you go to swann's website.