coryb13

quality posts: 2 Private Messages coryb13
TheWidget wrote:

Ah, I was looking under the specs.

denins

quality posts: 0 Private Messages denins

In for one, you cant beat the price for the specs!

cmpollardjr

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cmpollardjr

Hey, I feel the same... I am going to purchase it and MAKE the action happen. I too spend hour on top of hour in front of my pc.. Now I will have a goal.. do something weekly/daily that is action cam worthy.

Make it happen.

baybei wrote:I'd buy this, but I don't have enough action in my life to make owning an action camera worthwhile. I mean, sitting for hours in front of a computer looking for sites to visit does not an action flick make!

flyrodder68

quality posts: 0 Private Messages flyrodder68

Just a PSA for those looking for a headcam set up. REI has the GoPro Hero 3 Black Edition for about $80 off for members. Consensus is to thoroughly read the manual and update the ware before usage. I don't have one but some maybe interested with the GoPro. http://www.rei.com/product/849164/gopro-hero3-black-edition-wide-angle-helmet-cam

I'm still thinking about this woot offer so waiting for more reviews.

bobbyb0322

quality posts: 5 Private Messages bobbyb0322

Boy Woot has gone downhill since they were bought out. I tried to cancel my order 10 minutes after I placed it and was told I couldn't. I read about all of the sound problems with this thing and had a change of heart. Think this was my last ever purchase from woot. Pretty poor customer service.

bmxcm

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bmxcm
bear8699 wrote:I'm okay with it so far - but need more support :-)

I had an issue w/mine very shortly after purchase from an earlier woot. The battery contact broke off, I Jerry rigged it to work but figured it should get fixed since it was so new...so I contacted swann USA and they were very prompt w/their email responses. I however was not and ended up sending it back like 7 months later. A few weeks later they ended up sending me me an entirely new setup w/all the accessories even tho I only sent them the cam, plus they payed for shipping when they said they wouldn't...not too shabby in my book.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 569 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

bobbyb0322 wrote:Boy Woot has gone downhill since they were bought out. I tried to cancel my order 10 minutes after I placed it and was told I couldn't. I read about all of the sound problems with this thing and had a change of heart. Think this was my last ever purchase from woot. Pretty poor customer service.

In an effort to ship faster, we are releasing orders every few hours. This is shipping from an FBA (Fulfillment by Amazon) warehouse. Once the order is released, it's out there with thousands of other orders and can be retrieved. Sorry.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

bobbyb0322

quality posts: 5 Private Messages bobbyb0322
ThunderThighs wrote:In an effort to ship faster, we are releasing orders every few hours. This is shipping from an FBA (Fulfillment by Amazon) warehouse. Once the order is released, it's out there with thousands of other orders and can be retrieved. Sorry.

Horrible service. I sent the request within 10 minutes. At any rate, you will be getting the item back.

OutbackJon

quality posts: 1 Private Messages OutbackJon
vpierce wrote:Since my primary purpose for such a camera is to mount on my motorcycle for road trips, your notes were very helpful. The high pitch audio noise however was very annoying to me.
I have a couple of questions please. Have you found a way to remove that audio noise?
What handlebar mount(s) do you use?

I didn't do it in my first couple of videos, but my video editing software does have a way to completely strip the audio track, which I will do in the future. It is horribly "tinny", but that is probably mostly a 'feature' of a small condenser microphone.

As to mounts, I've found a couple that I like on Ebay. I use ones that have the standard size 'ball' to mount the camera on, as it is easier when wearing motorcycle gloves to loosen the ball clamp and put the camera on another mount. Rather than removing the entire mount to reposition it. I have one that is this style that I really like. It seems quite sturdy and secure. And I have a couple like this that I don't like so much, as the plastic seems a bit on the flimsy side. They work OK and were cheap, though.

CuzzinMerl

quality posts: 24 Private Messages CuzzinMerl
davidwess wrote:Will this work as a car cam? I would like to mount it on my front windshield facing forward, (like the Russians did to get their great meteor shots).

That's what I use mine for. Only I'm not shooting meteors. I'm trying to catch the Chumlys who try to make a right turn from the left lane or who are completely unaware there are other cars on the road.

boundermt

quality posts: 1 Private Messages boundermt

I'm in for one. I don't really care about the audio but I do hope the video is nice and clear for motorcycling and snorkeling. I noticed that lots of them have been sold in Montana...

mrln

quality posts: 3 Private Messages mrln
CuzzinMerl wrote: I'm trying to catch the Chumlys who try to make a right turn from the left lane or who are completely unaware there are other cars on the road.

Hmm...I've now seen 'chumly' used rather positively to now here negatively.

I'm so confused. Is this some woot replacement word or something?

erynsmith

quality posts: 1 Private Messages erynsmith
dkm1new wrote:Maybe I'm just extra b!tchy cuz the friggin easter bunny jacked my entire case of Old Milwaukee (America's best tasting beer) last nite. But that write-up, like, sncked like a Dyson Ball Upright like sumthin awful.

I fear for the future of writing like things if this is like the best we can squeeze out of a MFA? Like are you kidding me?

I had to go wash my mouth out with bourbon after merely reading it. Woot Gods, please tell us you won't do that again. Or at least proofread it before you put it up there.

I know it was all about like being lazy and everything, not that your writers don't deserve some time out of the office (say, a month in rehab) but like Geez...

Well, for one, The Beast is easily the worst beer in America. That aside, I agree with your cleverly worded opinion on this MFA student's writing. The extent of their writing education seemed to be the dictionary definition of a simile. I have never since my young teenage sisters cell phone seen the word "like" said so many times. I like the idea of students writing the write ups, that I hold no qualms with, but I do request, at least, a more well educated student. 'Twas a poor write up I say. 'Twas impoverished indeed.

theguruguys

quality posts: 276 Private Messages theguruguys
mrln wrote:Hmm...I've now seen 'chumly' used rather positively to now here negatively.

I'm so confused. Is this some woot replacement word or something?

I bet its a replacement for Chumly.

Yup! "I D I O T" Chumly acts that way on Pawn Stars, but I get the feeling its just an act (pretty sure). Hes actually pretty smart when it comes to video games, recent culture items like shoes, etc.

gantt

quality posts: 11 Private Messages gantt
flyrodder68 wrote:
I'm still thinking about this woot offer so waiting for more reviews.

FYI, this cam has been sold many times on Woot, so if you search you will find many Woot Community threads with many reviews - plus Amazon, etc.

AVspec

quality posts: 6 Private Messages AVspec

Not good for Motorcycle videos.

I was hoping to capture good video with the swan but it has a very bad "jello" effect from vibrations that make the video hard to watch. Audio as other have mentioned is also not very good.

It does work good as an underwater camera though.

I might try it as a dash board cam in my car for a bit...

eumel789

quality posts: 0 Private Messages eumel789
hysonmb wrote:This cam mounts perfectly fine with a GoPro suction cup mount. I haven't tried other mounts but I've had this stuck to various points on my car during track runs and it's solid.
We just did a run to a big meet-up yesterday and I had mine stuck to the windshield of the car. You'll want to edit the sound as you hear nothing but air for the most part while driving and there is a noise that sounds like feedback from the indicator light that gets captured in the video but for the price it's an excellent choice. This is not a final cut video but gives an idea of what the FreeStyle captures. I should have cleaned to housing first, normally video is a little better but this is close enough.

The pic is great, but the sound is absolutely aweful!

mrln

quality posts: 3 Private Messages mrln
theguruguys wrote:Yup! "I D I O T"

Thanks. Odd word to censor, and odder yet the replacement word.

And I guess I'd better re-evaluate that prior "positive" read I saw.

senpai71

quality posts: 2 Private Messages senpai71

I got one of these last time it was on Woot, and I have had no problems, with either the audio (high pitched whine others mentioned) or video quality.

I mounted it to my motorcycle and to my snowboard with the attached mounts. Just remember to use a leash.

As far as GoPro mount compatibility goes, all the 'arms' are compatible - it's just the actual adhesive mount that isn't...

davidwess

quality posts: 2 Private Messages davidwess
Fardinando wrote:I thought about this too. Looking at the manual, the unit shuts off when it fills up. It doesn't look like you can configure it to record a loop of the last "n" hours, which is what you want from a dash cam. If you want to remember to erase it and start it every time you get in the car, then I guess you could do that -- but you'll probably forget the one time something happens.

That's too bad. There's a video here of the cam mounted in a car, and it is pretty good. but, I would definitely forget to erase the card each time, no doubt about it.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 569 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

theguruguys wrote:I bet its a replacement for Chumly.

Yup! "I D I O T" Chumly acts that way on Pawn Stars, but I get the feeling its just an act (pretty sure). Hes actually pretty smart when it comes to video games, recent culture items like shoes, etc.

Not that chumly. There's a theme for the filters.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

deusieeee

quality posts: 0 Private Messages deusieeee

I bought this a while back. I think the price point was about $125. I am not happy with the quality compared to the GoPro. It is higher priced for a reason and you definitely get what you pay for.

hysonmb

quality posts: 10 Private Messages hysonmb
eumel789 wrote:The pic is great, but the sound is absolutely aweful!

The sound actually isn't bad. I wouldn't expect much better out of any camera mounted on a windshield (outside) at 60+ MPH.

erikhinzmn

quality posts: 1 Private Messages erikhinzmn

I bought this camera last fall, Took it to vegas and hoover dam, it took some 'dam' good pictures. video is decent, I went with a gopro 3:Black recently because I want an external mic. any sort of wind DESTROYS any sounds that you want to listen to.

P.S. You get the screen and the remote with this kit and they work flawless.

apuster

quality posts: 3 Private Messages apuster

Anyone else exited to see what woot does for April Fools?

<3

exp1os1ve

quality posts: 2 Private Messages exp1os1ve
apuster wrote:Anyone else exited to see what woot does for April Fools?

Ready and waiting

B.O. Sea #15: 08/22/13

drgandalf

quality posts: 17 Private Messages drgandalf
apuster wrote:Anyone else exited to see what woot does for April Fools?

Not expecting anything and ready to exit right back to bed if they don't have anything interesting for April Fool's.

wootperveyor

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wootperveyor

This is horrible. I have been waiting for the action cam to cycle through (pun fit well here). Again, I am too late to pick up one.
Perhaps they can a "woot's next" update. It would go well with the site.

Amblyopia

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Amblyopia
Fardinando wrote:I thought about this too. Looking at the manual, the unit shuts off when it fills up. It doesn't look like you can configure it to record a loop of the last "n" hours, which is what you want from a dash cam. If you want to remember to erase it and start it every time you get in the car, then I guess you could do that -- but you'll probably forget the one time something happens.

you can configure it to overwrite mode so that it continuously overwrites previous recorded files with new ones... otherwise you have to delete the files when it fills up... I got a larger SD card so I could have more footage before it overwrote...

--Amblyopia

ScottinBend

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ScottinBend

So I got mt camera today and was wondering if anyone knows what the 2 small rubber washers with sticky on them are used for?

Ftwo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Ftwo

Has anyone else NOT received their camera yet? 10 days is a long time for shipping from Washington to SoCal.