SumDuud

quality posts: 21 Private Messages SumDuud
jai151 wrote:History is littered with the corpses of once great civilizations. To think that ours couldn't just as easily succumb to the same fate is just foolish.

But to assume it will is just as foolish.
I don't believe that we can't fall, just that we won't. Besides, this is a large mass of land and it won't just be left to rot (short of nuclear fallout). I don't see the issues we face as a country causing one of the largest military and economic powers inthe world to just fall off. Perhaps it is relative to define what "destoryed" means...

Let's see the quality impulse buys!
Wooter to blame for sellout: SumDuud
Sellout time: 8:11:25 AM Central Time

Contrarian by nature.

jai151

quality posts: 8 Private Messages jai151
SumDuud wrote:But to assume it will is just as foolish.

I'm not making an assumption, just extrapolating the most likely future if things don't change.

SumDuud

quality posts: 21 Private Messages SumDuud
jai151 wrote:I'm not making an assumption, just extrapolating the most likely future if things don't change.

Change is inevitable. Which way the change falls, will determine if it is for the better or worse of the country.

Let's see the quality impulse buys!
Wooter to blame for sellout: SumDuud
Sellout time: 8:11:25 AM Central Time

Contrarian by nature.

jai151

SumDuud wrote:Change is inevitable. Which way the change falls, will determine if it is for the better or worse of the country.

The whole point of what I wrote was that the parties are currently incentivized NOT to change, as the most money is in maintaining the status quo while beating your chest about how it should be (and blaming the other party for why it's not). And with the radical push in each of them, if change originates within either party it will be to the detriment of the country.

lrdplatypus

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lrdplatypus
gelo48 wrote:Intelligent voting can and will do more to protect you than any firearm.

The scary thing about a democracy is that half of all people are below average intelligence.

bbkf

quality posts: 3 Private Messages bbkf
searchneverend wrote:Curt, #2 is the reason the other are in place. The minute you loose #2 will be the moment all other will too. Our govt is working really hard towards achieving that goal.

rolling eyes. the NRA has done its job with you

bbkf

quality posts: 3 Private Messages bbkf
echipman wrote:gmoliver, I was curious about Us mortality of car deaths v gun deaths. You are correct that more people are killed in/by cars, but I was surprised how close the numbers are:

Mortality
All injury deaths
Number of deaths: 180,811
Deaths per 100,000 population: 58.6
Motor vehicle traffic deaths
Number of deaths: 33,687
Deaths per 100,000 population: 10.9
All poisoning deaths
Number of deaths: 42,917
Deaths per 100,000 population: 13.9
All firearm deaths
Number of deaths: 31,672
Deaths per 100,000 population: 10.3

Source: CDC http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/injury.htm

auto "accident" (no one uses the car as a weapon)

versus

gun injury (the ONLY purpose of a gun is as a weapon)?

I'm so sick of people using a Lollypop Guild excuse like "more people die of auto injuries than guns.." Its a pathetic arguement. It compares apples to oranges.

To bad the second amendment wasn't a "right to an education".

jai151

bbkf wrote:auto "accident" (no one uses the car as a weapon)

versus

gun injury (the ONLY purpose of a gun is as a weapon)?

I'm so sick of people using a Lollypop Guild excuse like "more people die of auto injuries than guns.." Its a pathetic arguement. It compares apples to oranges.

To bad the second amendment wasn't a "right to an education".

That completely ignores the fact that some percentage of those gun injuries are suicides and accidental discharges and that some percentage of those auto injuries are malicious (People do use cars as weapons, just like they use every other tool as a weapon)

philosopherott

quality posts: 3 Private Messages philosopherott
bbkf wrote:rolling eyes. the NRA has done its job with you

(eyes rolling)
I see the democrats have done their job on you...

That’s what you sound like.

And to comment on your other comment. Yes Firearms are used for more than killing. For sport, hunting, bonding, fun, and many other reasons to name a few. Just because you don't do or find those things appealing doesn't mean others also don't. People do kill others with cars intentionally and fire arms accidents like auto accidents do happen.
Like many of the polarized people you can’t critically think about what you are saying.

74bob1939

quality posts: 0 Private Messages 74bob1939

Without the second, you soon do not have the first. Bob

gmc403

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gmc403

lrdplatypus, that's why our Founding Fathers created the electoral college system.

fghtinrishnvrdie

quality posts: 1 Private Messages fghtinrishnvrdie

Liberty, baby! I'll keep all 10, God willing.

Funny how 'liberals' have perverted the word, when their real ideology is Statist Authoritarianism. We shall call them Statists!

I bought:
Logitech Bluetooth headphones
San Disk 512mb MP3 & WMA Player
Bellsouth 10 Mile FRS/GMRS 2 Way Radios
Nexxtech 7" 16:9 LCD Portable DVD Player
Jepson Winery Mendocino Mix

jai151

fghtinrishnvrdie wrote:Liberty, baby! I'll keep all 10, God willing.

Funny how 'liberals' have perverted the word, when their real ideology is Statist Authoritarianism. We shall call them Statists!

Liberals have as much to do with liberty as conservatives have to do with conservation.

Liberal just means desiring change, conservative just means desiring to maintain the status quo.

doit4pre

quality posts: 0 Private Messages doit4pre
gmoliver2815 wrote:I just received my Concealed Carry License this week that required me to learn the laws of my state and prove I am proficient with a firearm. Most states have the same requirements. BTW... there are still more people killed in car wrecks than gun shot wounds every year. Maybe we should have stricter car control laws.

More people drive cars everyday than discharge firearms.

johnnymercer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages johnnymercer
gmoliver2815 wrote:I just received my Concealed Carry License this week that required me to learn the laws of my state and prove I am proficient with a firearm. Most states have the same requirements. BTW... there are still more people killed in car wrecks than gun shot wounds every year. Maybe we should have stricter car control laws.

Gov't makes "car control laws" stricter with considerable frequency... as it should. Car fatalities diminish as a result.

jai151

johnnymercer wrote:Gov't makes "car control laws" stricter with considerable frequency... as it should. Car fatalities diminish as a result.

The difference being the VAST majority of "car control laws" are regulations on the manufacture of cars, not the sale. Car fatalities decrease because the cars themselves survive an impact better, not because they regulate who can drive.

Licensing and ownership laws are all crafted by the states, not the federal government, also as it should be.

hared7684

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hared7684

I thought the pole was good. Most citizens haven't a clue about government or law. They're only interested in sex, partying, and themselves.
You can see I'm a serious guy who is fed up with stupidity.

Ed Rosenberg