Mikedwilson63

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Mikedwilson63

I bought one of these about a month ago for the same price. I have an iPad and a Mini, but I wanted this tablet because (1) you run the full version of the Office programs and (2) mine is set up to have 4g service from ATT. The one I bought didn't have the pen, but it did come with the keyboard dock (which frankly, I've hardly used because it's easy to type on the touchscreen). I've heard that the pen makes this tablet special, so I've ordered some cheap pens to see if they will work.

It's a nice tablet. I had heard a lot of bad things about Windows 8, but it works really well on a touchscreen tablet. I would recommend it to someone who travels and would want to be able to use Office on the go.

mavsman13

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mavsman13

Is this similar to the Galaxy Note 10.1? I bought that here and it works good but not into the pen concept or operating system. Trying to sell it arlt a loss and look for a good non apple tablet and the 19.1 just did not fit the bill.

blaineiwood

quality posts: 1 Private Messages blaineiwood
PeteCal wrote:CNET says it weighs 1679.9 lbs Is this a mainframe? ;-)

More serious.
(1) I have a USB writing tablet and I would like to "write" into MS Word docs but I can't master the hand/eye from table top to screen. This should solve that, am I right? Can I write on the screen and have Word convert to text? Is anybody doing that?

(2) A while back when Staples had these for $350 then $300 the next day it was said something about Staples got a batch with some bad connector. So they were clearing the stock. What are the odds these are the returns that were refirbed?

For those of you who have this tablet and have shared your experiences, thank you for real information on this topic. I appreciate the other outlooks.

This tablet is made by Samsung. It comes bundled with Samsung proprietary note-taking software specific to their s-pen. The Samsung Note also has proprietary Samsung note-taking software. You can use S-note on either tablet, and they both work wonderfully.

If you want Samsung's note-taking app then either choice is good; however, with the option for really capitalizing on the wacom stylus, you can use anything developed for windows with this tablet. Microsoft OneNote is free on Windows 8 and is a valid substitute for the Samsung software. If you do, however, have the desktop version of office, then using the desktop version of oneNote is the best note-taking experience you can have. This includes handwriting conversion to text, math, etc. You can always use the handwriting input keyboard for text input into web browsers or other programs. From my experience with both the note and this tablet, the handwriting recognition on both needs some work, but at the same time, it is the best I've ever used. (My handwriting could use some work, too. The recognition software has a tough job.)

The only difference between this tablet and the Samsung Note tablet is the operating system. Do you have a desire to run applications written for a phone/mobile system, or do you need the option to run full desktop applications?

As for all the hate about this being an under-powered laptop, this is only slightly true. This is not an alienware with an i7 processor, but it is as powerful as any iPad or Android tablet. It fits nicely in the middle between glorified phone and full blown laptop. I have run adobe products on this tablet, and they work great. I have not worked on a 6000 layer photoshop drawing (that would bring my gaming rig and its 16GB or ram to its knees). It can handle small projects without a problem. If you're looking to do full scaled professional project, then go buy a full scale professional system. You don't see people saying that the macbook air sucks because it doesn't perform as well as a macbook pro. This is not a top-of-the-line system.

This is also not a gaming rig. Don't even attempt to play modern PC games on this tablet. You'll be disappointed. I tried a few of the very non-demanding Tell-tale games and could only run them on the lowest settings. As for casual gaming, this can handle anything an iPad or Android tablet can. It can also handle many modern indie PC games.

In summary, internet, this is a valid choice for a tablet. This is not an iPad or an android tablet. It is also not a full blown laptop. It fits in that happy medium where it simple enough to not cost an arm and a leg while satisfying 90% of your computing needs. If you're looking for something more, get something more. If you're looking for something less, get something less.

In my research this was the best value for a Windows 8 tablet (not RT) with a wacom stylus. The pen is amazing. Samsung, Microsoft, HP, and others also offer a full sized pen that is more comfortable. Palm rejection is finicky until you figure out the the digitizer only needs to see your pen before you put your palm down. Once the pen cursor appears, the touch is then turned off.

Did I mention that Sketchup runs fantastically on this tablet? If you haven't drafted with a digital pen, you're missing out.

kckc52

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kckc52

Just saw this pop up on Amazon. Am I mistaken or is this the same tablet with the keyboard for less?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B0098O9TB0/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&condition=used

morriea

quality posts: 19 Private Messages morriea
Mikedwilson63 wrote: The one I bought didn't have the pen.

If the one you bought did not have the pen, it is not this device. It sits in a slot in the back. Maybe you did not notice? FYI, if you bought some cheap "pens", they will not work the same way if they are simply touch screen styli with the rubber tips.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 563 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

bluemaple wrote:@ThunderThighs, gotta love folks behind the Woot counter eating their own lunch.

Wish we needed another tablet - finally a respectable full (not RT) Windows tablet for a reasonable price... the favorable feedback for drawing on this has me pondering tho since it might be good for prototype sketching.

We called it "Eating our own dog food" at one of my previous jobs.

I am NOT customer service.
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy[/b] ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

j5

quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5
kckc52 wrote:Just saw this pop up on Amazon. Am I mistaken or is this the same tablet with the keyboard for less?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B0098O9TB0/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&condition=used

78 new from $569.99
8 used from $344.56
1 refurbished from $499.99

move along

mccollumm

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mccollumm

I own one of these that I purchased from Staples a couple months ago. Here are the bits I feel are worth mentioning. I replaced a Motorola Xoom with this device. I liked my Xoom, but I wanted to stop carrying a laptop and a tablet. The RT was not an option because of the limited software available. The Pro was too expensive for me to justify. This device runs Win 8 home. I'ts more capable than an RT and less so than a Surface Pro, and it fits exactly in the spot I was looking for. I considered the keyboard, but since I wanted to use it as a tablet, I decided to wait and see if i could get by without it. I had to figure out how to enable the advanced onscreen keyboard that has the Standard Windows "F" keys since I need them for an application I run. I did notice an initial issue with the power adapter. I thought it had a bad connection until I realized that it requires a little extra force to plug it all the way in. There are several other similar tablets available, but they generally don't have the wacom digitizer. I like having the stylus when i'm working in desktop mode and need precision pointing for a legacy app. Finally, I purchased a standard tablet case from Amazon here:
http://www.amazon.com/MoKo-Slim-Fit-Multi-angle-Samsung-11-6-inch/dp/B00AQX4XY0/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1371228924&sr=8-14&keywords=samsung+smart+pc+moko

They also sell a swivel version, but this one is working well for me so far.

kckc52

Almost pulled the trigger on one as replacement for my current laptop/Xoom combo but I think I would rather have an Android tablet like the Asus Transformer or just get a Nexus 10 with a keyboard. I just get the feeling Windows is still working out the kinks on this.

claynpotter

quality posts: 6 Private Messages claynpotter

I bought this new at local giant computer store for about $10 less then woot price (special anniversary sale).
Comparing to MS Surface pro, which I also have, is almost 1/3 of the price, easy on the eye (bigger screen with less resolution, but screen looks beautiful. Have you tried running Photoshop on Surface Pro? Your eye will fall out after 30 minutes of use because of tiny menu), and much much lighter and thin.

I actually carry this all the time, and my surface pro stays at home.

All I need it is able to run Photoshop and let me watch movies, which it has no problem doing so. S-Pen is great (but missing eraser, so I use other Wacom pens).

I love rotation lock button and stylus pocket, which are missing on Surface.

Playing Android tablet like games through MS shop, Samsung Shop, or Intel Shop (not sure if they all end up on MS shop).....

3D games are no go. I tried "Dead Island: Riptide" It loads but due to graphic, it's so slow, it's unplayable.

Battery life is amazing. I'm getting 10 hrs (on/off use) average life. Compare that to 4-5 hrs on Surface pro....

Recommend getting micro sd card (I've got mine at same time high speed Samsung 64GB for $49).

So
Likes: big and crisp screen, light, able to dock Keyboard looking like you are carrying cool expensive ultrabook, very responsive touch, stylus pen, S-Note, battery life, fast boot-up speed.

dislike: comes with Norton antivirus, Keyboard doc is extra, speed is slower than Surface pro running 3rd gen i5 (but then price is 1/3). only 64GB ssd. Slower ssd than SurfacePro.

kckc52

j5 wrote:78 new from $569.99
8 used from $344.56
1 refurbished from $499.99

They are listed as like new, have free shipping and come through Amazon's warehouse. 30 day return policy and an option for SquareTrade warranty. Sure seems like a better deal to me.

PemberDucky

quality posts: 41 Private Messages PemberDucky

Staff

kckc52 wrote:They are listed as like new, have free shipping and come through Amazon's warehouse. 30 day return policy and an option for SquareTrade warranty. Sure seems like a better deal to me.

...instead of a 90-day Samsung warranty plus the option for SquareTrade?

-----------------------------------------------
Not sure if you should post that? This slightly-nsfw-flowchart will help.

jiggadabaptist

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jiggadabaptist

I was at Bestbuy just this week, and their Samsung rep said that this was discontinued... Anyone know anything about that?

magicwill25

quality posts: 0 Private Messages magicwill25
darue wrote:I got one of these after I had gift cards thrown at me during the holidays (for $500) and I feel that it's absolutely worth it, even at that price.

I bought the Microsoft Surface pen to use with this (Wacom makes basically all of the pens in the new pen enabled tablets, so they're mostly cross-compatible), and it works brilliantly as a note-taking device. Again, Wacom is behind the pen technology, and the tablet is largely up to snuff with regard to pen support - it's a bit iffy on the edges, but overall very good, with the kind of pressure-sensitivity that I've come to expect in a Wacom pen device. I draw on this with SAI and the experience is up there with the Intuos3 I use on my workstation at home, and it is an excellent device for writing notes in class, working flawlessly with Windows Journal and OneNote.

Otherwise, you get a few frames dropped with 1080p playback at times, but all 720p videos that I throw at it playback fine, and it works just about as well as you'd expect from a 2013 Atom device. For $400 I think this is an absolute bargain - My $300 netbook running an AMD E-450 APU (Hecate), which this tablet replaced, is basically the same in terms of overall performance. The main selling point of this is the pen and touch support and the thin form factor (It's thin and quite light in comparison to netbooks and a bit lighter than most 'ultrabooks'). I've had it freeze up once during use, but a quick reset fixed that and otherwise I've not had many problems with anything over the past 6 months of every day use, so I'm willing to dismiss that as a fluke. Also be warned that Bluestacks does not perform very well, but I really don't care for Android tablet apps anyway so it wasn't really a big deal. Fruit Ninja piddled along at maybe half the performance I'd get out of a proper android device, for example.

Of course, if you're not one to care about form factor and pen support, then by all means grab a cheap netbook instead and save some money. However, in my personal experience as a student who takes a lot of written notes, does digital art, and does not demand much out of his mobile devices (I save stuff like intensive gaming and CAD for my desktop workstation, for exmaple), this thing has been an absolute joy to use.

A few examples of what I've done on this device:

Math Notes: https://www.dropbox.com/s/r3yc2qp37ao4w7i/calc%20review.pdf
A sketch: http://i.imgur.com/9NhmXlX.png
A quick painting: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ik4g9hm8o11kuxo/rnd1.jpg

Can you rest your hand against the screen and write like you would with paper or the Galaxy Note? I don't like to write if I have to have my wrist hover over the screen.

yumilk88

quality posts: 0 Private Messages yumilk88
kckc52 wrote:They are listed as like new, have free shipping and come through Amazon's warehouse. 30 day return policy and an option for SquareTrade warranty. Sure seems like a better deal to me.

Ah now I'm torn. Should I go for Amazon's "Used - Like New" for $344.56 with a 30 day RETURN policy or Woot's "Factory Reconditioned" one? My main concern is that since neither are new, they may come with some problems.

I still don't really get what "Factory Reconditioned" means... If you get a broken/faulty product will Woot take responsibility and give you a refund?

PemberDucky

quality posts: 41 Private Messages PemberDucky

Staff

yumilk88 wrote:Ah now I'm torn. Should I go for Amazon's "Used - Like New" for $344.56 with a 30 day RETURN policy or Woot's "Factory Reconditioned" one? My main concern is that since neither are new, they may come with some problems.

I still don't really get what "Factory Reconditioned" means... If you get a broken/faulty product will Woot take responsibility and give you a refund?

it would be covered under the Samsung warranty.

"factory reconditioned" means the item was returned, inspected, and restored to fully working condition by the original manufacturer or a certified partner. the original manufacturer stands behind it with a warranty.

is good.

-----------------------------------------------
Not sure if you should post that? This slightly-nsfw-flowchart will help.

morriea

yumilk88 wrote: My main concern is that since neither are new, they may come with some problems.

I still don't really get what "Factory Reconditioned" means... I

Factory reconditioned...

http://www.ehow.com/about_4687369_what-factory-reconditioned.html

I thought I would Google it for you. Also, NEW can have problems, also.

jarboejo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jarboejo
Ubie wrote:I honestly don't quite know what to make of this. It's huge for a tablet, and runs Win8 instead of RT or PRO (isn't PRO pretty much 8?). Atom processor... I, uh, somebody want to chime in on what exactly this is good for. I want, but I certainly don't need.

It looks like it's a full-blooded PC, so x86 programs will work. It's only marginally heavier than a Surface but has just as much RAM and twice as much storage (as the 32 GB Surface).

What's it for? Light duty work and entertainment. I wouldn't run Visual Studio 2012 on it but it'll probably do just fine for Word Processing, email, apps, games that are ok running on a dual core processor.

I'm tempted as well.

Figers

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Figers
Distalled wrote:Let me put things in perspective.

The good:

1.This is a full version of Windows, not Windows 8 RT.. which is more similar to their cell phone OS in reality.

So good. You can install regular windows programs.

2. It's Samsung. They make their own stuff, usually from stem to stern.. and their good. Almost no one can say this in the market. The SPen stylus is very good.

The Bad:

1. The price is too high. Atom Win8 tablets can be found from good retailers for less.

2. It's big, and relatively heavy. Tablets suffer greatly from marginal weight increases since they spend time in one hand.

3. It's underpowered for anything but the bare minimum. Maybe a decent resolution movie. The atom processors, unlike other intel processors have not increased their raw horsepower over the years. They sip power better, and multitask better, but their ability to play games, run anything adobe, etc has in fact decreased marginally.

So.

Get this product if:

1. You want a large tablet that will lay on a table or on your lap. Maybe two hands.

2. Brand, and here it means something, does matter to you and is worth 50-100 bucks.

3. You accept that games up to the "mobile" level are acceptable, and otherwise want something for email, browsing, etc..

The included stylus is VERY good. Makes me wish it was an i3/i5 so I could use it for photo editing/graphic design.

I had an Acer Iconia W510 which has a slightly slower CPU and was able to run SQL Server and Visual Studio on it without any slowdown. The Atom processors have come a long from the original netbook days.

Mikedwilson63

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Mikedwilson63
morriea wrote:If the one you bought did not have the pen, it is not this device. It sits in a slot in the back. Maybe you did not notice? FYI, if you bought some cheap "pens", they will not work the same way if they are simply touch screen styli with the rubber tips.

It is the same device. Per the owner's manual, the pen and the keyboard dock are optional. I got one without a pen but with a keyboard dock.

If the other pens don't work, I can always get the Samsung pen (or the cheaper alternative that someone suggested earlier).

Da5id

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Da5id

"Touch Pad / Track Point: Scroll Scope, Flat Type"

What that?????

blaineiwood

quality posts: 1 Private Messages blaineiwood
magicwill25 wrote:Can you rest your hand against the screen and write like you would with paper or the Galaxy Note? I don't like to write if I have to have my wrist hover over the screen.

When using this tablet with the S-Pen or other Wacom stylus, the touch sensor turns off when the pen is close to the digitizer grid in the screen, so you can write with your palm on the glass.

Steps:
1- Bring the pen close to the screen until you see the pen cursor (usually a dot or small crosshair).

2- Then you can rest you hand on the glass and write like a pen and paper.

3- Don't lift the pen too far from the screen (an inch and a half or so) or the touch sensor will be turned back on, and your palm will be recognized as a touch command.

mmk412

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mmk412

Can you run Quicken on it?

NortonsArk

quality posts: 12 Private Messages NortonsArk
mmk412 wrote:Can you run Quicken on it?

Yes, Quicken should run on it just fine. Any software that runs on Windows8 will run on this tablet. I ordered one. Considered two, but they only let you buy one per account.

jonschuck

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jonschuck
pernst wrote:Buy enough of them you could make a really nice stepping stone walkway in your garden.

Buy four of them and create a windows mosaic on your wall.

InKARC

quality posts: 1 Private Messages InKARC
offgridmanpolktn wrote:So with all the comments on the spen being such a part of the positive experience is it actually included or not?
In the description it says no, but at the bottom listing what's in the box it says yes.
Hello Mods, anybody there to help with this?

Mine came with a little stylus that lives in a slot in the lower rear right side of the tablet.

It is very short and more like an overgrown toothpick than a pen, so it is only good for brief uses.

For more extensive stylus use, I recommend getting one that can be held like a real pen. Samsung sells one, but that larger stylus is not included in the package.

Another post stated that the Microsoft Surface Pro stylus works, I have not tried this personally.

I returned a "Wacom Bamboo" stylus that didn't work and traded it for my current "Wacom Bamboo Feel IT" stylus, which did. So: test before purchase if possible, not all Wacom pen work with this tablet.

Stylus made for use on iPad will not work.

gak0090

quality posts: 78 Private Messages gak0090
mavsman13 wrote:Is this similar to the Galaxy Note 10.1? I bought that here and it works good but not into the pen concept or operating system. Trying to sell it arlt a loss and look for a good non apple tablet and the 19.1 just did not fit the bill.

Might want to make sure you have spell check on your next device.

ikisat

quality posts: 2 Private Messages ikisat

Specs from cnet anyone considering this might want to look at the weight. Personally I find it too heavy for a tablet but ymmv.

http://www.cnet.com/laptops/samsung-ativ-smart-pc/4505-3121_7-35523947.html
Processor
Intel Atom Z2760 / 1.8 GHz ( Dual-Core )

Memory
2 GB / 2 GB (max)

Operating System
Windows 8 32-bit Edition

Display Type
11.6 in

Max Resolution
1366 x 768 ( HD )

Graphics Processor
PowerVR SGX545

Optical Drive
None

Weight
1679.9 lbs"

morriea

ikisat wrote:Specs from cnet anyone considering this might want to look at the weight. Personally I find it too heavy for a tablet but ymmv.

Weight
1679.9 lbs"

Nobody will steal it.

bigwallys

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bigwallys

I ordered one of these but Amazon just cancelled my order due to "lack of availability". There were 7 left when I bought mine. I think the seller may have just listed it wrong and had to back out. Now I have to wait for woot to get them again. Bummer!

lashbackandy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lashbackandy

I'm feeling very impatient. Ship, you little devil... SHIP!

ThunderThighs

Staff

lashbackandy wrote:I'm feeling very impatient. Ship, you little devil... SHIP!

ME TOO!

••• ► Woot's Return Policy[/b] ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

newyorklaw

quality posts: 0 Private Messages newyorklaw
lashbackandy wrote:I'm feeling very impatient. Ship, you little devil... SHIP!

Me, too. Purchased on 6/14, why hasn't it shipped as of 6/18? Normally, they're more efficient over there at woot...

ThunderThighs

Staff

newyorklaw wrote:Me, too. Purchased on 6/14, why hasn't it shipped as of 6/18? Normally, they're more efficient over there at woot...

This is a drop ship item so it will take 3-5 business days for processing and shipping.

When you purchased the item, you would have seen shipping information below the price on the sale's detail page. Here's a recent Tech deal as an example:

You'll also see the estimated time to ship on your order page.

We use a variety of shipping methods and they have different shipping estimates.

Also note that we say it ships in X days, not that you'll receive it in X day. We don't include the day of the sale in that so today is the 4th business day.

Hope this helps.

lashbackandy

Looks like it's going to be closer to five than three...

I ordered this to replace the 50-pound IBM 5100 I purchased in 1975.

It's done me well so far, but I wanted something more airplane-friendly.

pfontaine2

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pfontaine2

Mine arrived today, very unexpectedly. My credit card registered the purchase earlier today and Woot didn't indicate that it had even shipped! The tablet arrived in its shipping container with its power supply, nothing else. It's charging and updating as I write.

lashbackandy

pfontaine2 wrote:Mine arrived today, very unexpectedly. My credit card registered the purchase earlier today and Woot didn't indicate that it had even shipped! The tablet arrived in its shipping container with its power supply, nothing else. It's charging and updating as I write.

Interesting. Thanks for the update! *crossing fingers*

Was it properly packed?

pfontaine2

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pfontaine2
lashbackandy wrote:Interesting. Thanks for the update! *crossing fingers*

Was it properly packed?

The tablet was wrapped in a plastic sleeve along with the power supply. Otherwise, there was nothing else in the box. No documentation or anything else. However, the tablet was properly protected and arrived safely.

FYI, the Samsung updates take a good couple of hours to download and install. You can find them in the Apps screen, along with all the other Samsung apps.

Once the tablet was up and running, I found it to be a really nice tablet and surprisingly fast for the paint programs I am trying to run.

It is a bit annoying to have to invoke the keyboard on the Desktop screen (it's automatic on the apps screen) but all in all, I'm very happy with this purchase so far.

ThunderThighs

Staff

Indeed, it looks like they've shipped and we're just waiting on the tracking file. In the meantime:

You can use FedEx's “Track by Reference” feature to get tracking info using your order number. Your order number is on your order details which you can get via Stuff You Bought. Leave the Account Number blank. Enter your order number in the reference box. Next, select your country and enter your zip code. Click TRACK and voilà, you may have tracking info.

Edit: Mine is due Friday.

lashbackandy

Received!