nlevake

quality posts: 8 Private Messages nlevake
persuasion7 wrote:I don't really understand these phones, but want to buy anyway. If your cellphone reception is poor in your home phone area (most of my calls get dropped), would these phones not work well? Thanks for any input.

If your cell phone has poor reception at your home, MAKE your cell provider give you a "microcell." This is a device which connects to your wifi and creates a "mini cell tower" in your home. AT&T will eventually give you one, free, if you are persistent. They will do test calls and switch you to different towers, etc., but if you truly have such poor service that you can't reliably use your cell at home, they will give you a microcell. Plan to spend about two hours talking them into it/proving you need it. If you want to avoid the hassle, you can just buy one from the AT&T store. I don't know about other providers, but I'd guess they all have something similar.

jennyriver

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jennyriver

Does the base unit connect to a wall mount? The pic looks like it's just for a tabletop. I want the base unit to replace a kitchen wall unit.

Thanks!

rcollman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rcollman

This is a KXTG7731 series. To check compatible list with features:
http://shop.panasonic.com/learn/link-to-cell/

scroll down look for block on right. Like to cell,ring as cell feature ONLY marked OK for Apple, Nokia, Motorola (not Droid or Droid X). Will connect with "basic function" for most phones.

Was interested in Galaxy III, no cell ring

Rcollman

dmanpp616

quality posts: 2 Private Messages dmanpp616
lichme wrote:Reviews from Costco
Reviews from Amazon

[Mod Edit] fixed typo.

Thanks I think I will buy from Costco, the return policy is better. It may be $50 more for a brand new one but if I don't like I can return it. Sorry Woot.

DaveCampbell

quality posts: 0 Private Messages DaveCampbell

i bought these the last time they were on Woot = the Link2Cell works just like advertised - announces caller ID and everything. pairs with 2 mobile phones, but not sure how it distnguishes one from the other on an inbound call - at a minimum it shows the mobile called on the display.

i'd buy again.

NixonNixon

quality posts: 1 Private Messages NixonNixon

How many handsets can you add to work off the same base? The link-to-cell feature sounds useful, but my current Panasonic has eight handsets conveniently placed around my multi-level house and garage. Can I buy extra handsets for the same base, or buy two sets and link all eight together on the same land line?.

Kirk2out

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Kirk2out

Can I download my entire address book from my cell phone to this phone, and have it display full color ID and name when someone calls? I know the limit on the number of addresses you can load is 3000, but I want to know if I can load it from my Gmail contacts account. K

lindawilliams7

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lindawilliams7

I just bought one of these. The "Manual" is listed above the "In the box" list. Does anyone know if the manual comes with it, or do I need to print it off internet? Thanks!!

randyosu

quality posts: 0 Private Messages randyosu

This is TEMPTING! I've got an older Uniden set that works fine (though it has the typical more expensive batteries). Pondering whether this is worth the "upgrade" or if it's just a want instead of need thing. Don't think I'd use the Bluetooth as I'm not a heavy cell phone user but the announced caller ID is neat.

To those who have this set, is it worth the "upgrade" from a current set that works fine?

SmartDude

quality posts: 0 Private Messages SmartDude

Does anyone know if this system can be paired with a computer? I'd love to be able use this system with Google Voice through my PC to make calls. My computer has bluetooth. Would the pairing be similar? Can anyone shed any light?

It'd be great to have my Google Voice number and my cell phone linked to this system while I am at home.

boblaw213

quality posts: 0 Private Messages boblaw213

I want to buy it, but decided to go to the Panasonic site first (http://shop.panasonic.com/docs/catalog/2013/phones/cellular_compatiblelist_with_panasonic_products_may_07_2013.pdf) for compatable cell phones, but the Models they give compatablity for is TG78xx, TG77xx, TG76xx, TG658x and TG938x and the unit WOOT is selling is a KX-TG254SK, I now have become much less comfortable about ordering something that doesn't work on my phone that I can't return. Anybody have a real compatablity chart?

lemonflavor

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lemonflavor
steveg5489 wrote:Agree that cackling occurs when paired with cell, especially during a call with my mother-in- law.

That's classic.

FWIW, we have always liked Panasonic cordless phones.

guilmerino

quality posts: 0 Private Messages guilmerino

Does anyone know if once the landline phonebook is entered it will be share by all the handsets?

sallymir

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sallymir
davecoon13 wrote:If used without Link2Cell, does each handset extension require a physical connection to a phone jack, or does just the base unit require connection to a phone jack?

I've searched and can't find that answer anywhere on the Internet.

If it's anything like my current Panasonic phone set, all it takes is one phone jack for the base; the others just require electrical plugs.

jannypop

quality posts: 4 Private Messages jannypop
lindawilliams7 wrote:I just bought one of these. The "Manual" is listed above the "In the box" list. Does anyone know if the manual comes with it, or do I need to print it off internet? Thanks!!

I bought this a month ago on Woot; it came with a nice very detailed manual. Can't say for sure if this one does but likely it will.

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

jannypop

randyosu wrote:This is TEMPTING! I've got an older Uniden set that works fine (though it has the typical more expensive batteries). Pondering whether this is worth the "upgrade" or if it's just a want instead of need thing. Don't think I'd use the Bluetooth as I'm not a heavy cell phone user but the announced caller ID is neat.

To those who have this set, is it worth the "upgrade" from a current set that works fine?

Yes. Just buying replacement batteries will cost you as much.

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

jannypop

guilmerino wrote:Does anyone know if once the landline phonebook is entered it will be share by all the handsets?

Yes. I bought this a month ago; all handsets show the complete contacts list. The base unit is where it downloads, each handset gets it from there.

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

bluemaple

quality posts: 77 Private Messages bluemaple
guilmerino wrote:Does anyone know if once the landline phonebook is entered it will be share by all the handsets?

jannypop wrote:Yes. I bought this a month ago; all handsets show the complete contacts list. The base unit is where it downloads, each handset gets it from there.

@guilmerino, if you're the only person in your home then the downloadable cell phone address book feature might be handy.

But we don't use it. We find the key advantage to pairing to our cell phones to our landline base is that we can leave them charging on the dresser and not miss an incoming call while anywhere in the house.

We tend to make outbound calls via the landline anyway.

bluemaple

boblaw213 wrote:I want to buy it, but decided to go to the Panasonic site first (http://shop.panasonic.com/docs/catalog/2013/phones/cellular_compatiblelist_with_panasonic_products_may_07_2013.pdf) for compatable cell phones, but the Models they give compatablity for is TG78xx, TG77xx, TG76xx, TG658x and TG938x and the unit WOOT is selling is a KX-TG254SK, I now have become much less comfortable about ordering something that doesn't work on my phone that I can't return. Anybody have a real compatablity chart?

@boblaw213, from page 3 of the manual, this Woot is from the TG7731 series.

http://service.us.panasonic.com/OPERMANPDF/KXTG7731-MUL.PDF

bluemidget

quality posts: 1 Private Messages bluemidget
nlevake wrote:If your cell phone has poor reception at your home, MAKE your cell provider give you a "microcell." This is a device which connects to your wifi and creates a "mini cell tower" in your home. AT&T will eventually give you one, free, if you are persistent. They will do test calls and switch you to different towers, etc., but if you truly have such poor service that you can't reliably use your cell at home, they will give you a microcell. Plan to spend about two hours talking them into it/proving you need it. If you want to avoid the hassle, you can just buy one from the AT&T store. I don't know about other providers, but I'd guess they all have something similar.

My neighbor got a microcell from Sprint (AIRAVE) at n/c and it helped. We have T-Mobile (Cel-Fi) and got a free microcell and it did not help. The difference is you have to have some kind of reception for the microcell to amplify/boost...neighbor had a bar of reception on her cell where as we had no bars on ours. But what T-Mobile does have that works is free WiFi calling and with the added benifits of not counting against your anytime minutes or your data usage.

darose47

quality posts: 0 Private Messages darose47

~~Does this phone come with the belt clip like the new ones do? What is the signal range? I need a set where I can work outside on my farm with the phone on my belt + earphone in my ear. The last phone system I had would work quite a distance from the house.

Kbene

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Kbene

I bought one last month and I'm very happy with it. Worked perfectly out of the box and learning to work it is easy.... intuitive operating system. The woman's voice announcing the caller ID is a hoot and a nice feature as well.

Kim T. Bene'

richiem

quality posts: 0 Private Messages richiem

Got this on the previous go-around. Great phones with excellent range. Transfer of Contacts from cell to the base was flawless -- but "register" the cell first!

Wife dislikes the many button pushes to get to a contact, but at least they're all there. We have lousy cell signal, so the cell connection feature is worthless for us. But having four handsets that share all the info from the base is just great.

bluemaple

nlevake wrote:If your cell phone has poor reception at your home, MAKE your cell provider give you a "microcell." This is a device which connects to your wifi and creates a "mini cell tower" in your home. AT&T will eventually give you one, free, if you are persistent. They will do test calls and switch you to different towers, etc., but if you truly have such poor service that you can't reliably use your cell at home, they will give you a microcell. Plan to spend about two hours talking them into it/proving you need it. If you want to avoid the hassle, you can just buy one from the AT&T store. I don't know about other providers, but I'd guess they all have something similar.

bluemidget wrote:My neighbor got a microcell from Sprint (AIRAVE) at n/c and it helped. We have T-Mobile (Cel-Fi) and got a free microcell and it did not help. The difference is you have to have some kind of reception for the microcell to amplify/boost...neighbor had a bar of reception on her cell where as we had no bars on ours. But what T-Mobile does have that works is free WiFi calling and with the added benifits of not counting against your anytime minutes or your data usage.

@bluemidget, actually, a true "microcell" acts just like a cell tower but on a smaller scale. They do not require any usable cellular signal at their location.

That means they get their signal via a landline source (your Internet connection), translate that feed into a cellular signal and transmit/receive just like a public cell tower.

Typically they also require you to register your devices so your microcell doesn't end up serving the entire neighborhood.

It sounds like what you are describing is simply an antenna + amplifier/repeater. You can freely buy those setups on the Internet. But as you say, they require the ability to place an antenna where there is a usable signal - like on a second story window or on the side of the house, etc...

Having said all that - these bluetooth link to cell phones can solve your problem if there is a spot in your house where your cell signal is acceptable. Simply locate the base within 20-30 feet of that spot and charge your cell phone in that spot. All the handsets then provide access to your cell phone service from anywhere in the house.

redrotors

quality posts: 2 Private Messages redrotors

randyosu wrote:This is TEMPTING! I've got an older Uniden set that works fine (though it has the typical more expensive batteries). Pondering whether this is worth the "upgrade" or if it's just a want instead of need thing. Don't think I'd use the Bluetooth as I'm not a heavy cell phone user but the announced caller ID is neat.

jannypop wrote:Yes. Just buying replacement batteries will cost you as much.

Maybe you missed my post towards the bottom of page 1?

I could replace the batteries in a 4 handset phone set for about $6.

redrotors wrote:I order the cheapest correct voltage (2.4 or 3.6v, 2/3 cell) battery pack from ebay, usually $1-$2. Don't worry about the connector style, many are now "universal" and if not I just cut the connector off the old batt and reuse on the new. Usually get 2-4 years out of them. Same applies if you can't wait for slow boat from China shipping on ebay, any 2 or 3 cell from a local store works fine, just reuse the connector if you have to.

redrotors

SmartDude wrote:Does anyone know if this system can be paired with a computer? I'd love to be able use this system with Google Voice through my PC to make calls. My computer has bluetooth. Would the pairing be similar? Can anyone shed any light?

It'd be great to have my Google Voice number and my cell phone linked to this system while I am at home.

You cannot just plug this into your computer. If you pair this with your computer via bluetooth you will not be able to dial from the handset. You MAY be able to start a call on your computer via GV and then pick up a handset but I doubt it and it would be very YMMV based on computer bluetooth hardware/software. If a bluetooth headset works flawlessly on your PC you may have some success but I doubt dialing out with one of these handsets will work. You can use GV on PC w/a wired headset designed to work with a PC (check if your PC has seperate mic. and headphone jacks or a combined jack like a cell phone headset jack) there are also USB headsets.

If you want to use GV with this set as home phones you may want to look into Obihai devices. The 100 was $30 recently for a fathers day promotion. The 100 is very small, easy to pack/travel with. I (and family) have been using a 110 and a 100 w/GV for a few years and am very happy with both.

If you want to use GV on your cell phone you can use apps Talkatone (Android & iOS) or Grooveip (Android only AFAIK). Call over wifi or 3/4g, both allow you to choose and offer a wifi only setting.

If you buy this set or borrow / try a similar "link to cell" BT phone and can try to make calls via a handset over your computer and GV please report back, I for one, am curious but VERY doubtful about it working.

nll

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nll
Denimbear wrote:What you can do is like what I've got,I use that magic jack for my landline phone. It is only 30.00 ayear. And you can use it with any phone. And works with your high speed netz connection.

Or a Google Voice number and an Obihai voip adapter. But no 911 service that way.

redrotors

nll wrote:Or a Google Voice number and an Obihai voip adapter. But no 911 service that way.

There are quite a few ways to get 911 w/an Obihai device while using GV for calls, even enhanced 911 depending where you live. None are free AFAIK but run just under $1/mo. - $2/mo. Lots of discussions/info. on the Obi forums.

For those unfamiliar, Google Voice is only free (USA and Canada calling only) for as long as GV decides it's free. Every year (usually end of Dec.) they announce if it will continue free. Announcement in the past has always been for one year period.

The nice thing about the Obihai devices is that they are not locked down like magicjack, nettalk, ooma, etc. so if GV decides they are not free anymore you can choose to stay or leave but you wont have to buy another device to set up a new SIP provider.

I use my Obi with GV for domestic calling and Localphone for outside USA calling.

rtfirefly

quality posts: 7 Private Messages rtfirefly
wootatchakobsadotnet wrote:That's due to the witches. You see, connecting all these wireless things together requires quite a lot of black magic so Panasonic had to put a witch in each of the handsets plus one in the base unit. When you connect your cell and talk on the handset through the cell you're forcing the witches to work, hence the cackling.

As long as you keep your phone calls short you should be fine. If the cackling gets louder and more malevolent you should probably hang up before they turn you into a toad.

No, NO! You've got it all wrong.

These phones pick up conversations in your house, and transmit them to NSA HQ in Fort Meade. The cackling is the sound of the evil geniuses at NSA, of course.

dviglino

quality posts: 10 Private Messages dviglino

Dangit woot, I had to settle for a 2-handset phone a week ago... this looks a lot more useful for almost the same price. The crystal ball I ordered on newage.woot also doesn't work very well, though it is pretty.

firefox91

quality posts: 0 Private Messages firefox91

I jumped on this, I think it will be great. I currently have an old 2 handeset system that just isn't enough phones. They are always getting moved around the house by my wife. Sometimes I find them sitting next to each other! Clearly, I need more handsets. And having the link-to-cell will be great so I don't have to go running across the house to get my cell phone.

bookfever

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bookfever

Ability to intercom or ring all stations? Previous models could only ring individual specific hand sets, requiring you to know where the phone stations were and who might be at each one - like in an office environment. So I bought the only one I could find with "intercom all" feature - a Uniden model D32888 Which also has the feature of being able to use the bluetooth line simultaneously with the wired line - ie a limited 2 line phone.

UPDATE - Read the manual - "To page all handsets, press 0 or wait a few seconds".

For those concerned about range, the Uniden D3288 and equivalent Panasonic KX-TG7645M, both functioned well at about 200 ft between 2 wood frame, wood sided buildings. They both offered optional range extenders which had similar distance, so about 400 ft is possible, or in my case they both went thru 20 double backed bookcases across 50 ft.

khanufre

quality posts: 0 Private Messages khanufre

I have been trying to cancel an order on woot... Why do they make it so difficult? I didn't realize that free shipping after first order went away. I would have added it all in one purchase. If they don't respond and cancel the order, they are going to lose a customer.

rayraythe8th

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rayraythe8th

Darn it, I hadn't checked woot all day and now that I'm here I see that woot is selling the type of panasonic phones I've been waiting for them to carry again! Oh look, just my luck! Sold out... So does anyone know about how often they sell phones on here? I refuse to pay much more than 50 bucks for my new home phone, but man does that link to cell look tantalizing!

scubalab

quality posts: 9 Private Messages scubalab

You've GOT to be kidding me!!! Since When did Woot do away with the bouncing "I Want One" button when the stock was getting low?!? Been waiting for these to come back. Was thrilled to see this, checked the other deals to see if there was anything else worth ordering to save on shipping, and by the time I got through all the stupid extra sites, and came back to purchase... SOLD OUT! If I had known the sellout was near, would have purchased before looking at the other sites. Unfortunately, even the STUPID new-ish 'add to cart' feature wouldn't have even prevented this.

This is the second time I JUST missed this (last time was on the Woot off - the 'add to cart' extra step made me just miss that one too.) SO frustrating.

ElGuappo

quality posts: 7 Private Messages ElGuappo
wootatchakobsadotnet wrote:That's due to the witches. You see, connecting all these wireless things together requires quite a lot of black magic so Panasonic had to put a witch in each of the handsets plus one in the base unit. When you connect your cell and talk on the handset through the cell you're forcing the witches to work, hence the cackling.

As long as you keep your phone calls short you should be fine. If the cackling gets louder and more malevolent you should probably hang up before they turn you into a toad.

This deserves an award, you just made my evening!

jpsyche

quality posts: 6 Private Messages jpsyche
rayraythe8th wrote:Darn it, I hadn't checked woot all day and now that I'm here I see that woot is selling the type of panasonic phones I've been waiting for them to carry again! Oh look, just my luck! Sold out... So does anyone know about how often they sell phones on here? I refuse to pay much more than 50 bucks for my new home phone, but man does that link to cell look tantalizing!

First post listed previous offerings - it's been offered a couple of times in the last three months:
Previous Similar Sales (May not be exact model)
5/21/2013 - $49.99 (Woot-off) - 14 comment(s)
5/12/2013 - $49.99 - 79 comment(s)
3/19/2013 - $69.99 - 84 comment(s)

I had almost bitten the last two times it was offered; once I missed it, the second time I vacillated too long. I ended up putting an alert in my slick deals account and it notified me when it was re-wooted. This dealsite has posted similar deals in new and refurbished from Costco and from New egg, which also offered a Panasonic set last month that included a free Obihai/VoIP adapter.

colmeistras

quality posts: 0 Private Messages colmeistras

[qote postid="5471069" user="lstaff"]I could really use a two-line phone. (hint, hint!)[/quote]
Are you on crack, or just a doof ?
This is NOT the Panasonic site !

This IS a REFURB item of existing technology.

Woot could care less what you "could use"... they offer what is available to them.

Do more homework before you whine here !

colmeistras

quality posts: 0 Private Messages colmeistras
Denimbear wrote:What you can do is like what I've got,I use that magic jack for my landline phone. It is only 30.00 ayear. And you can use it with any phone. And works with your high speed netz connection.

Do you still carry cell phone by the pool & worry about it going for a swim, & losing yur cell service ? I don't ,! bought 1 of these & love it... go put yur head back in the sand & live in the past.... geeze

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 591 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

scubalab wrote:You've GOT to be kidding me!!! Since When did Woot do away with the bouncing "I Want One" button when the stock was getting low?!? Been waiting for these to come back. Was thrilled to see this, checked the other deals to see if there was anything else worth ordering to save on shipping, and by the time I got through all the stupid extra sites, and came back to purchase... SOLD OUT! If I had known the sellout was near, would have purchased before looking at the other sites. Unfortunately, even the STUPID new-ish 'add to cart' feature wouldn't have even prevented this.

This is the second time I JUST missed this (last time was on the Woot off - the 'add to cart' extra step made me just miss that one too.) SO frustrating.

The button throbs now instead of bounces but there's still an indication of low stock. You have to refresh your page though to see it update. Sorry you missed out.

Are you on Twitter? You can follow all the sites there and receive Last Call tweets.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders