bigelowb

quality posts: 2 Private Messages bigelowb

Having had one before that broke on the third use and began doing nothing but traveling in a 4 foot circle, I would not buy this unless it had a warranty of a year, not 90 days.

dontwantaname

quality posts: 13 Private Messages dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

Hi roomba! How have you been? Long time no see.

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!
No greater love is lost than that not shared.

mdyoung216

quality posts: 3 Private Messages mdyoung216

Order Date:
Aug 28, 2010

iRobot Roomba 530 Robotic Vacuum with Virtual Wall

$139.99
Sold on Woot
Condition: Refurbished

That quite a price jump in two years. Other than replacing the battery, it has worked well.

sfsonarboy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sfsonarboy
isnoop wrote:How well does it handle transition from hard surfaces to carpet and rugs?

In my experience, horribly. I have hardwood floors and throw rugs, and Roomba would get caught on the rug or try to go under it. Basically made Roomba unusable, very disappointing.

ybarheat

quality posts: 2 Private Messages ybarheat

I have this model and love it for my bamboo floors. My only complaint is that it doesn't see the color black so while it will slow down and lightly bump the white baseboards it runs full speed into my coffee table legs before turning. It also won't work at all on my mostly black rug.

pndragon

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pndragon
mdyoung216 wrote:Order Date:
Aug 28, 2010

iRobot Roomba 530 Robotic Vacuum with Virtual Wall

$139.99
Sold on Woot
Condition: Refurbished

That quite a price jump in two years. Other than replacing the battery, it has worked well.

Agreed - I purchased two on two seperate events, one for our house with 1 cat and one for my in-laws with two dogs at around the same price as mdyoung. Why the increase? Are these any less refurbished than the rest were?

sfsonarboy wrote:In my experience, horribly. I have hardwood floors and throw rugs, and Roomba would get caught on the rug or try to go under it. Basically made Roomba unusable, very disappointing.

I'll counter this post and say that my 530 has handled both hardwood, tile, cat litter-box mat, thin throw rug and heavy bathroom shower mats like a champ. The trick that everyone is going to hammer on about is making sure you are on top of your Roomba's grooming and care, especially with pets as the front roller, third-wheel is the one that most easily gets jammed up with hair and stuff which will cause rugs and mats to get pushed up and in a position that Roomba can't get over.

Take good care of Roomba and it will take care of your floors.

Cmersman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Cmersman

WHAT

Gabri

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Gabri

I discovered exactly the same thing when I bought a new battery for Rooby! When she first came to work for me in summer of 2010, she was pretty much ready for a nap after doing the master bedroom, Now with her new eBay battery, she can complete the master and guest bedrooms and usually the one used as an office. Now if I could just teach her to finish somewhere in the master that is not exactly square under the middle of the king size bed. She does it every time and has to be pushed out with a mop handle.

BelyndaG wrote:I bought this very model from Woot in November, 2009 for $139. It has no real problem transitioning between my hard surface floors and my rugs, although I don't have any with fringes and can't tell how well that would work. I have noticed that occasionally it will leave a smudge of fluff on the edge of a rug if it catches it at the wrong angle, but so does my upright vacuum. Over the years since we have had this one we've had two semi-long haired border collies, a shih Tzu and several cats (all at once). I have found that, if I don't run it frequently, the pet hair occasionally clogs up the brushes and stops the vacuum until I clean them out.

I recently had to replace the battery on my Roomba, who goes by the name of Rosie (after the maid on The Jetsons). I bought the new battery on Amazon for about $24 including shipping. The new one says that it's higher capacity, although I'm not tech savvy enough to know if that's true. However, since replacing the battery I am finding that Rosie works better than she did when I first got her, 4 years ago. She seems to have more power than ever and hasn't clogged up a bit.

daha

quality posts: 3 Private Messages daha

I seem to be out of touch. What and where are those news articles that were a little rough?

dawnavon

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dawnavon

I just got mine today, has anyone had a problem with the virtual wall not working? This Roomba replaced one I have gotten 4 years ago, so I've had a Roomba for a long time and know how it works.. ;) New batteries were put in, and in the correct way, the light lights up when I turn it on, and the arrows on top are pointing the way I want the area blocked. I even turned it around to see if I did have it wrong, and either way, nothing, the roomba just 'runs' it over..

My Woots!
3/22/2007 Logitech Mobile Traveller Bluetooth Headset
1/30/2007 Netgear WGR614 802.11g Wireless Router
1/16/2007 Kensington 3 Button Optical Scroll Mouse - 2 Pack
12/13/2006 Samsung neXus 25 XM Satellite Radio and 512MB MP3 Player
12/5/2006 Linksys WUSB11 802.11b Wireless Adaptor – 2 Pack

ROGETRAY

quality posts: 169 Private Messages ROGETRAY

Staff

dawnavon wrote:I just got mine today, has anyone had a problem with the virtual wall not working? This Roomba replaced one I have gotten 4 years ago, so I've had a Roomba for a long time and know how it works.. ;) New batteries were put in, and in the correct way, the light lights up when I turn it on, and the arrows on top are pointing the way I want the area blocked. I even turned it around to see if I did have it wrong, and either way, nothing, the roomba just 'runs' it over..

You should definitely still have iRobot warranty. If you're experiencing issues with the virtual wall you can always contact their customer care page.
They should be very helpful in remedying the issue.

You're also welcome to email into Woot Member Services at support@woot.com if you have any questions or concerns about your order.