luvduchovny

quality posts: 0 Private Messages luvduchovny
crowpatrol wrote:So, does the Android OS support Google Play? I have other androids that have only some useless app store with 4 apps. If it won't do full out Google Play, it is a no go.

In the video someone posted above, the guy states the Play Store isn't on the device, but if you search around there is a way of putting it on. (I believe that would be call rooting). So it's not impossible... you would just have to do whatever heavy lifting to 'make it so.'

I'm too lazy for signatures... oh, okay not completely lazy.

pimpdoubt

quality posts: 5 Private Messages pimpdoubt
WSGASKINS wrote:
I am trying to find a way to control the power consumption of the unit to give it a bit better batter life. I can't seem to find the place in the settings to set wi-fi to disconnect when the unit goes to sleep / screen off mode.

The way i've done it on 4.1 is settings>wireless and network>wi-fi(left of the toggle switch)>page (the android's option button)>advanced> Here you probably want to toggle off the wifi timer, go to "keep wi-fi on during sleep" and pick either never or only when plugged in. Hope that helps you keep it alive :P

kevmiester

quality posts: 2 Private Messages kevmiester
kinderdm wrote:According to the specs listed it says "Google certified with support for Google Play" I know thats no guarantee but it is what woots specs claim.

I purchased this exact unit during the woot-off. Google Play Store was pre-installed.

Hope this helps.

tongabear

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tongabear

Is this thing easy to root? I get fed up with bloated apps that REFUSE to run from the microSD card.

WSGASKINS

quality posts: 1 Private Messages WSGASKINS
kinderdm wrote:According to the specs listed it says "Google certified with support for Google Play" I know thats no guarantee but it is what woots specs claim.

As kevmiester already stated, I found the Google Play store was already installed and worked just fine. The bigger problem is that this particular unit is not recognized by quite a few of the apps, so you may go searching for your favorite app and it won't come up because the app thinks it's not compatible with this model.

I turned on 'install from unknown sources' and I was able to pull the .apk file from my phone for several apps that I really wanted to have on here and they installed and run just fine. Unknown if I'll be able to update them through the store now, though... probably not.

WSGASKINS

quality posts: 1 Private Messages WSGASKINS
pimpdoubt wrote:The way i've done it on 4.1 is settings>wireless and network>wi-fi(left of the toggle switch)>page (the android's option button)>advanced> Here you probably want to toggle off the wifi timer, go to "keep wi-fi on during sleep" and pick either never or only when plugged in. Hope that helps you keep it alive :P

All I get from W-Fi>...>Advanced is three options: Network Notification (for open networks), MAC address, and IP Address. There's no option here for wi-fi sleep. :-(

slickvicpxx

quality posts: 0 Private Messages slickvicpxx
lichme wrote:Here are some good reviews (not sure if same model, but looks the same)

yes it's the same model.

Victor Pxx

ChadRLarson

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ChadRLarson
afwalton wrote:It'll probably take a Bluetooth keyboard; I'm betting that's what the included one is. If the Logitech shows up on Woot Plus again, I recommend it.

The included keyboard (the one in the case) is a mini-USB.

ChadRLarson

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ChadRLarson
murphicus wrote:Hate that this uses a proprietary power jack.

You can charge with the supplied power cube, or through the mini-USB.

scrapaddict28

quality posts: 1 Private Messages scrapaddict28
WSGASKINS wrote:As kevmiester already stated, I found the Google Play store was already installed and worked just fine. The bigger problem is that this particular unit is not recognized by quite a few of the apps, so you may go searching for your favorite app and it won't come up because the app thinks it's not compatible with this model.

I turned on 'install from unknown sources' and I was able to pull the .apk file from my phone for several apps that I really wanted to have on here and they installed and run just fine. Unknown if I'll be able to update them through the store now, though... probably not.

How did you pull fils from your phone? Can you describe the steps?

lldrwormll

quality posts: 1 Private Messages lldrwormll

I have not personally used this tablet, but I would worry about the long-term performance of running Jelly Bean with just 512MB of RAM. Even without running any apps in the background, about 1/2 of that is tied up with the operating system's needs.

gme814

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gme814
mrjoewood wrote:For now, while supplies last, I'd suggest the Barnes & Noble Nook HD for $129 ($149 for the 9"). It can run Jelly Bean 4.2.2 and has a great screen. I've got it as well as the Nexus 7, and while I agree the N7 is better, it's 3x the cost of this one. The Nook HD is $70 less and might be more affordable for many of those who'd consider buying this tablet. It has no camera and no GPS but otherwise is comparable to the N7 and significantly better than this throwaway.

For about $15 more than the Nook HD you can get the Cube U23GT with RK3188 chipset that has 8" screen, has 1 camera, and benchmarks faster than the N7.

For those looking towards lower price ranges, for about $10 more than this woot you can get a Pipo Smart S1 which has fairly solid performance, or if you want to go even lower, you can get a tablet with an A13 chipset for under $50 that might be comparable or faster than this woot.

kevmiester

quality posts: 2 Private Messages kevmiester
scrapaddict28 wrote:How did you pull fils from your phone? Can you describe the steps?

Android devices are quite different from apple devices.

You can simply plug in your android device and mount your phone/table/whatever as a local disk device on your PC. After you have it connected you can simply drag and drop...

Or you can place your install files on a compatible sd card, then simply plug the sd card into your new tablet... Use an app like "blackmoon File Browser", find your installer on your sd extension.. your ".apk" file and execute.

Very general instructions.. But it should get you going in the correct direction.

Good Luck!

Oh.... Same goes for photos and videos too! Simple... Drag and drop....

tdickson6857

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tdickson6857
gme814 wrote:For about $15 more than the Nook HD you can get the Cube U23GT with RK3188 chipset that has 8" screen, has 1 camera, and benchmarks faster than the N7.

For those looking towards lower price ranges, for about $10 more than this woot you can get a Pipo Smart S1 which has fairly solid performance, or if you want to go even lower, you can get a tablet with an A13 chipset for under $50 that might be comparable or faster than this woot.

thanks for the info...gonna check out some of your suggestions.

pecefrogg

quality posts: 1 Private Messages pecefrogg

Another site has something similar for 10 bucks more. I'm in the final stretch.. suggestions?
It's a once a day thing.

*pulled the trigger* Thanks woot!

I'm glad I went with you guys

nch

beardgy5

quality posts: 0 Private Messages beardgy5
gesnerj59 wrote:I would want to be absolutely sure this can access the Google Play Store... my daughter has a cheapy Uniden from Big Lots that is not supported by Google Play and is very limited in what you can get for it in the way of current, useful free aps.

moonchild10

quality posts: 0 Private Messages moonchild10

Well....right now I'm not happy. I got the tablet and love it but something caused a horizontal line to appear suddenly today. Its been about a week and in contacting woot for a resolution (I don't want a refund unless the replacement is defective as well), I'm being told that I have to wait until the wootoff is done! I already purchased my tablet and it doesn't work! Why do I have to wait for you to sell my replacement before you do anything? I need this tablet to complete my coursework while I am away from home and they just don't seem to get that. Not good business practice!

karamon101

quality posts: 0 Private Messages karamon101

I bought this when it went on sale originally on July 2nd. I love it! It runs most of my Google Play Apps (yes Google Play is pre-installed, though I think someone already answered that questions). The screen resolution is very nice, and it's great for traveling being about the size of a nice book (with case) and not weighing very much.

I only found two Apps that aren't "compatible" so far and they are Amazon (but the Kindle App works!) and AVG anti-virus. To substitute anti-virus I have installed Norton Free, which seems to be working fine.

Yes, this has all the features of my phone (minus the actual phone calling) but it's nice to not have to bog down my phone with Apps and potential viruses and the battery life is far superior to my Samsung Infuse.

My only other qualm is, that it's slow to turn on, which, in my humble opinion, is not a big deal at all.

Over-all I am SUPER happy with this product and I've been recommending it to my friends since I bought it.

I'm the root of all that's evil, yeah, but you can call me cookie.

mjlenox

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mjlenox

One I bought doesn't work at all when you unplug the charger. Piece of junk and Proscan wants ME to pay to repair it.

STAY AWAY

WOOT - I am very disappointed you would sell such GARBAGE.

ROGETRAY

quality posts: 152 Private Messages ROGETRAY

Staff

mjlenox wrote:One I bought doesn't work at all when you unplug the charger. Piece of junk and Proscan wants ME to pay to repair it.

STAY AWAY

I'm sorry to hear that you experienced issues with your purchase. We recommend that you contact Proscan Customer Support as you still have a 1 Year Warranty through Proscan.

If you find that they're unable to help you, please feel free to email into Woot Member Services at support@woot.com and let them know. They'll be able to answer any questions or concerns you may have.

JGarrido

quality posts: 0 Private Messages JGarrido
mjlenox wrote:One I bought doesn't work at all when you unplug the charger. Piece of junk and Proscan wants ME to pay to repair it.

STAY AWAY

The problem I'm having with mine is that plugging it in to charge it only works some of the time (not even most of the time), as it doesn't seem to get a good contact for some reason.

I'll definitely be contacting their support to try and get this resolved, because it's pretty useless in its current state. Wish me luck...

JGarrido

By the way, that Service email address listed on http://www.proscanvideo.com/contact-us.asp no longer appears to be valid (Gmail mailer daemon sending me a 'refused connection' message), so I'm retrying with the Sales email address...

JGarrido

JGarrido wrote:By the way, that Service email address listed on http://www.proscanvideo.com/contact-us.asp no longer appears to be valid (Gmail mailer daemon sending me a 'refused connection' message), so I'm retrying with the Sales email address...

Never mind, I guess that won't work either. Looks like it's going to have to be a phone call, here goes nothing.... *sigh*

This is an automatically generated Delivery Status Notification

THIS IS A WARNING MESSAGE ONLY.

YOU DO NOT NEED TO RESEND YOUR MESSAGE.

Delivery to the following recipient has been delayed:

sales@Curtcoint.com

Message will be retried for 2 more day(s)

Technical details of temporary failure:
The recipient server did not accept our requests to connect. Learn more at http://support.google.com/mail/bin/answer.py?answer=7720
[(20) mail.curtisint.com. [64.179.220.99]:25: Connection refused]