lolsuz

quality posts: 1 Private Messages lolsuz
jdupree wrote:You should always use stainless. They exclusively use stainless in most of the kitchens where you eat out. Nonstick are for the lazy who dont care what the coating they are slowly eating will do to them. I've been cooking for myself for 20+ years and just recently figured out how to have "nonstick" with stainless. It took just 5 minutes of research online to figure out the secret. First get the pan hot. Not too hot. It takes some trial and error to figure out what the hot enough point will be on your range without burning your oil. Mine is one number below the middle setting. This will also change depending on the oil's smoke point that your using ie butter smokes at a lot lower temp than some olive oils. Second throw a few drops of water on the hot pan. If the water dances around and wont stick to the pan its ready for your oil/butter. Add your oil and let its temperature get HOT, but without starting to smoke. I usually wait about a minute. The hot oil in a properly hot pan is the key for the food you are cooking to not stick. That's it. I was so happy to be able to fry potatoes and over easy eggs in a stainless pan without it sticking. Feel free to add more oil/butter if it evaporates too quick while cooking. Not enough oil for what your putting in the pan will make it stick again. The whole bottom of pan needs a coating, plus enough to coat the food. There you have it, non-stick without eating cancer causing chemicals. And stainless lasts for dang near forever, long after your nonstick coating has flaked off.

Thanks so much for this info! I've been using teflon coated cookware for years and have been SO FRUSTRATED by choosing cooking/cleanup ease over health concerns. I've never been able to fry an egg in a stainless pan without disaster before. Your post gave me confidence to order the stainless set and get that toxic teflon stuff outta my house. Thanks so much!

boomn4x4

quality posts: 14 Private Messages boomn4x4
KingAdrock wrote:Oh, I'm sorry! The correct answer is CAST IRON.

Don't apologize for being right.

When what to my wondering eyes should appear, but a bucket of wings and a six pack of beer!

rgfitz

quality posts: 2 Private Messages rgfitz

A long, long time ago when we were newlyweds, we bought a Miracle Maid cookware set "Guaranteed for Life". Well, I am still alive but the cookware guarantee isn't.
"Lifetime Cookware -
Several years ago, the West Bend Cookware division was purchased by Regal Ware, Inc. from the West Bend Company. Our company no longer provides customer support for these products...the list includes Miracle Maid.

Who cares? We never use the stuff anyway. I do kitchen cleanup and long ago switched to cheap coated cookware from Target or Ikea. When the non-stick surface is no longer non-stick, I throw it out and buy a new one.

Stainless steel pans and skillets are great for hot spots and burning things and scrubbing.

Cast iron skillets...my parents and grandparents used them because they were cheap and there were few alternatives. If you want to mess around seasoning cast iron fine. Then you get to scrape egg off the skillet and try to keep the "seasoning" intact. The various ceramic coated cast iron utensils for baking are excellent.

Eating Teflon, aluminum, copper, cast iron and zinc, and all of the other scary substances, never bothered me.

boomn4x4

quality posts: 14 Private Messages boomn4x4
hawaiijeno wrote:Just remember, non-stick is a big NO if you have birds. The fumes from non-stick coating will kill pet birds.

Correction... "Teflon" can kill pet birds. Not all non-stick cookware has Teflon.

When what to my wondering eyes should appear, but a bucket of wings and a six pack of beer!

miken927

quality posts: 122 Private Messages miken927
swifijon wrote:Woot! and so ends the fun. Anyways, Lots O Pots.

------------------
I Bet on Sky

jcrump55

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jcrump55

This is a great deal. I felt lucky about 3 years ago when I found a nearly identical KitchenAid SS set at Sears on sale for about $350. The long pan handles never get hot on top of the stove. Some times the stock pot and lid handles get hot, but not often. These things look as good now as they did brand new.

The thick bottom is great at distributing heat (as good as cast iron) and I very seldom have anything scorch to the bottom. Yeah, I've burned a few things beyond recognition and had to pull out some steel wool, but I sure couldn't have done that with a non-stick pan. I get to use metal utensils and they even go into the oven to put a nice browning on the top of a skillet meal.

Buy these.

Hurricane4911

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Hurricane4911
KingAdrock wrote:Oh, I'm sorry! The correct answer is CAST IRON.

+1
I've never seen handles "come loose" on cast iron; and they last FOREVER.

ceagee

quality posts: 66 Private Messages ceagee
LostJulyMusic wrote:And yet again, a useless post with the searches...

Looks like a an okay deal if you get the Andonized set.

Stainless Steel 10-pc: http://www.amazon.com/KitchenAid-Stainless-Steel-10-Piece-Cookware/dp/B0042H5OLW/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1377265011&sr=8-6&keywords=kitchenaid+cookware+set

Andonized 12-pc: http://www.amazon.com/KitchenAid-Anodized-Nonstick-12-Piece-Cookware/dp/B0042HAVME/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1377265289&sr=8-5&keywords=kitchenaid+cookware+set

Shipping is killer though on the Andonized with that seller, free for the SS. IMHO, it's only worth it for the Andonized. I suppose it's just personal preference.

The SS set you linked on Amazon is NOT the same as this one. The one offered here is nicer. Has copper in the core.
They have different handles too.
My post somewhere above has the correct link the the set on Amazon, but they are not in stock.

ceagee

quality posts: 66 Private Messages ceagee
mrln wrote:Usually, it's easier to simply pull the ASIN (under Product Details on the product's Amazon page; also in the item's Amazon URL, starts with a B usually; here B000IH0WXK for the SS) and do a search for it on camelcamelcamel.com.

Even out of stock items, if it was sold, will show up in the price history. The lowest the SS set has been on Amazon, sold by Amazon, appears to be 99.99 around Thanksgiving of last year. The second lowest was around $128-129. Usual price was around $150 as your shopping guide references.

Still a good deal.

Thanks for the tip !

nuggy

quality posts: 2 Private Messages nuggy
ceagee wrote:Thanks for the tip !

I think this is funny....

Stainless or non-stick....

A true cook has at least one set of each because different "techniques" demand a different surface at different times....

If your recipe calls for a "de-glazement" at some point with Wine.....Stainless is what you want to use on "that" recipe....

If you want to "brown" a piece of boneless chicken and leave the flavor stuck to the chicken....Then non-stick....

Different surfaces for different techniques for different recipes.....

So there should never be an argument....Your points are moot....

jenniferbreuer4

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jenniferbreuer4
mommacomet wrote:The handles get HOT on these pans. I have several KitchenAid skillets (bought within a short time from each other) . They start out great but over time they stick! Mine have never seen any metal utensils, dishwasher, abrasive scrubbing but they still stick.

I don't want this to sound like a dumb question, but are you saying the food sticks to the bottom of the pans after a while? I was getting ready to purchase these until I saw your post.

clareeliz

quality posts: 4 Private Messages clareeliz

If you are buying either of these sets based on the 'Kitchenaid" brand, be aware the it's not what it used to be. I bought a set of knives based on that brand. The tip broke off of one, another just came out of its handle. I did a little research. Kitchenaid cookware USED to be made in the USA. It no longer is. Think China.

greynotch

quality posts: 2 Private Messages greynotch

If I were in need of pots, this would be a great deal that I'd jump on.

In terms of the whole coated versus SS debate, it all depends on the quality of the manufacturer and the way YOU treat them. I have Analon pots that are coated, have a copper core, and work with my induction range wonderfully. If you only use wooden or rubber utensils and wash by hand, the coating will never be a "health concern." Then again, at $150/ea, they shouldn't be.

dannlank

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dannlank
boomn4x4 wrote:Don't apologize for being right.

This is so true. I would not trade my Griswolds for all the stainless/ anodized in the world.