Anykey

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Anykey
circusninja wrote:There is a documentary made by a cool Aussie, and he uses this same brand. The name of the film is "Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead" and I shows how juicing can be a very important part of good health. The best thing is, it tastes great, so you don't "feel" like you are being good.

I have been using this juicer for almost 2 years. I did a 60 day fast, and several shorter ones. This juicer is a champ!! I paid $149.00 for mine, worth every penny. I also met Joe Cross and he autographed mine for me. Juicing is the best way to get nutrients into your body super-fast. I'd buy it if I didn't already have one. Only suggestion I have, is to get a larger brush to clean the screen with, than what comes with the juicer. Makes cleanup much faster. And watch that documentary, it's inspiring.

niftyfifty

quality posts: 14 Private Messages niftyfifty

I have this juicer, love it!! And I got a deal at double this price! You won't regret it.
And if you want to know what juicing is capable of doing in your life, watch the following movie, "Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead".
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zD8e4Mg3NFU

logicape

quality posts: 3 Private Messages logicape

We have a Breville and juiced pretty regularly for a couple of months. It can be a great source of nutrition, but like anything moderation is the key. Most palatable juice blends seem to feature more fruits than veggies. This means you're getting a lot of sugar (fructose mainly) without the substrate (fiber) to help the body absorb it properly.

cycokiller

quality posts: 6 Private Messages cycokiller
michoutdoors wrote:If you buy one of these, you had better keep your checkbook loaded up for all of the extra $$ you will be spending on fruits and veggies. Juice extractors use 5 times more fruits and veggies to make one glass of juice than a whole food juicer. Many of the health benefits of eating fruits and veggies are also stripped away when you extract. Woot had the Vitamix up for sale in the last week. Albeit they cost a chunk more $$ up front, you will never be sorry you bought one in the long run. I guarantee you won't be wasting your time or $$ prepping a half of a sink full of fruits and veggies to make a glass of juice. One apple, some blueberries, a banana, a few strawberries and a cup of yogurt...walla! Juice for the whole family...and no pulp to throw away (read...wasted fiber and assorted nutrients). And the Vitamix cleans itself in under a minute. Juice on fellow Wooters!

Vitamix makes blenders, not juicers. And they are significantly more expensive than this.

4F682120446F6E277420746F756368206D652074686572652100

RasOne

quality posts: 2 Private Messages RasOne

We have a Breville Juicer, a VITA mix and a Ninja blender! They are all used several times a month but for different tasks. At least once a week we juice for either a breakfast 'meal' or an evening 'meal' and vary the types of fruit and veggies used. The Ninja is used to make Great Smoothies! With its multiple blades it makes quick work of more frozen items without plugging up like the VITA mix.

Run bananas and other soft fruit in the Ninja not the Juicer. If the Breville screen seems to be plugging up, increase the speed or don't use that thick soft fruit! Leafy veggies don't have a lot of juice so roll them up into 'sticks' before running in the juicer or use the VITA mix or Ninja instead.

Cleaning each of them as soon as we finish blending or juicing is easy if you do it immediately. All three are very easy to clean.

Would I buy them again? YES!
Do I recommend them to others? YES!

We have had the VITA mix for many years and still use it regularly for making waffle batter from scratch. We bought the Ninja on Woot a couple years ago and got 2 more to give to our daughters. The Breville juicer we've had about 2 years.

cycokiller

alextse wrote:I have a Breville juicer very similar to this one but don't really like it. The biggest problem is that you constantly have to clean out the filter to keep up with the juicing. CONSTANTLY. Which means taking apart the top and scraping it "clean," reassembling, then juice a little bit more and repeating. Very annoying. Also the remaining pulp is very wet so it's not very efficient.

sdc100 wrote:Both symptoms suggest that the motor is too slow. Normally, the pulp should be very dry and the pulp should be flung into the grey container, rarely needing manual scraping. Have you tried using the highest speed? If yes, make sure your outlet is steadily outputting 110-120V, and that there are no other high wattage appliances actively on the same line, i.e. air conditioner. Finally, you may have a faulty unit.

If the pulp is really wet, it could be due to clogged screens in the filter basket. If you're juicing a lot of stuff, it does pack up in there quick. I picked up 2 extra filter baskets for my Breville years ago and I can get through a good-sizes pile of fruit before I need to clean them out and start again.

I mostly use mine for apples (to make hard cider), and I do peel the apples first since I run so many through.

Oh, and also, mine is a single speed unit. I've never had issues with the motor being too slow or weak... fwiw.

cycokiller

tehmark wrote:The screens on these are a pain in the ass to clean and make up half of the cleanup time.

Once thing I've learned over the years is that if you brush on the outside of the screen with water running onto it at the same time, it cleans out very fast. I can clean my filter basket in about 35 seconds using this method.

Using the brush on the inside of the basket tries to push the pulpy stuff through the mesh and just makes it get stuck more.

vibes4me

quality posts: 2 Private Messages vibes4me

It comes with a safety part. Now, how will my kids ever learn a lesson and hear that time old adage: "Don't put your fingers in there"

rebeltreble

quality posts: 17 Private Messages rebeltreble

Oh and juice does not remove "fiber". It removes insoluable fiber. My doctor said if you are on a pure juice fast you don't need insoluable fiber as much and the soluable fiber is still there.

Since I still eat a meal per day when fasting I just make sure that meal is jam packed with natural fiber and protein.

If juice fasting was unhealthy my doctor would not let me do it. She isn't shy about speaking against diet and exercise routines when asked.

Signatures are harshing my mellow.

arismella

quality posts: 16 Private Messages arismella

Another great innovation by Breville, and another great WOOT PRODUCT VIDEO WATCH-ALONG! In for one.

Strychnyne

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Strychnyne

I have a cheaper one (not Breville) and I've been looking to upgrade. It looks like this came along at just the right time! Thank the Lord that I scrolled down to the bottom of my woot email! Thanks for all of the info in your posts and I'm sold! You guys rock!

chrisholst

quality posts: 0 Private Messages chrisholst

Time to upgrade from my old Waring spin juicer. All of the little sharp teeth on the Waring's spin basket got killed by trying to juice a bunch of ginger one time... now it isn't as effective. Hooray Woot, you're offering a real Breville for less than double the price of the knock-off look alikes on ebay. Tried one of them and it was spiffy looking, but DOA, and came with a warning about never running the motor for more than 3 minutes and having to give it 20 minutes to cool down between uses. Glad I could send it back.

nairb101

quality posts: 4 Private Messages nairb101

I'll stick with my teeth, all natural, but can be a pain to clean. Dogby gets the carrot ends and apple cores. If you have a problem chewing this may be a great idea, if you don't, what's the point?

shassy

quality posts: 1 Private Messages shassy

OK guys -- you talked me into it!
Now for recipes. Got any good web sites for recipes?

worapek

quality posts: 1 Private Messages worapek

I've had this juicer for about 2 years, I've used it at least once a day (up to 4) for a year, no issues. I'm tempted to buy this one but probably won't since mine is still going strong. If you don't juice constantly you may not learn how important the order in which you juice certain vegetables is. You always start with leafy veggies and end with fruits, if the order is wrong you will clog the screen and make leftover pulp wet. Cleaning takes 10 minutes for me on daily usage and the parts end up in dishwasher once a week. Best value for the $$.

tracylee

quality posts: 5 Private Messages tracylee

The more I read, the more excited I'm getting to actually receive this! The closest thing to a juicer I've worked with is my KA attachment to extract juice from blood oranges, and the whole ordeal is a PITA.

I've always been bad about eating veggies, and after surgery, cannot digest whole, leafy greens, so I'm hoping to boost my nutrition with this. In fact at lunch yesterday with some former co-workers, someone mentioned that they'd been juicing - and then this pops up!

I just cleaned off counter space next to my Kuerig, LOL. I'm that excited.

wcmassey

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wcmassey

Three problems/questions: (1) How can one purchase two "Square Deal" warrantees--one per juicer? Woot Customer Service is not answering and there seems to be no phone number available to ask this question. (2) Are these warrantees worth it? (3) Will Woot ship to two different addresses (one is a gift) or, must I make two separate orders? This seems to be the situation.

intensesupernova

quality posts: 2 Private Messages intensesupernova
nairb101 wrote:I'll stick with my teeth, all natural, but can be a pain to clean. Dogby gets the carrot ends and apple cores. If you have a problem chewing this may be a great idea, if you don't, what's the point?

Apple seeds contain cynaide, they are toxic, if you give your dog the cores (or anyone/animal, for that matter), make sure you remove the seeds and seed pockets to be safe!

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 565 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

wcmassey wrote:Three problems/questions: (1) How can one purchase two "Square Deal" warrantees--one per juicer? Woot Customer Service is not answering and there seems to be no phone number available to ask this question. (2) Are these warrantees worth it? (3) Will Woot ship to two different addresses (one is a gift) or, must I make two separate orders? This seems to be the situation.

1) We pass you through to SqTr's site for purchasing so you'll probably just have to complete the purchase twice. Since you're buying one as a gift, you can put the 2nd one in the recipient's name. I did that for a blu-ray player for my brother.

2) That's personal opinion. I'll let wooters chime in for that.

3) To ship to another address, you need to order them separately. One to one address; the other to the second address. That means each order will have the $5 shipping charge. Still cheaper than you could send yourself though (most likely).

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

karina25

quality posts: 0 Private Messages karina25

I was wondering if you are able to make juice in advance, and if so how long can you store them for?

polizzi82 wrote:Been 'juicing' for 36 days yesterday - today was my first day back on foods. Easing back with fruits and lots of veggies of course...

I'm down over 70 pounds from last November when I started doing periodic juice fasts, down 42 lbs from this recent fast. I made a video this weekend on how to juice with this exact juicer. It's a tank!

I had a Jack Lelaine that broke after a couple months. This juicer is well built, well reviewed, amazing compared to the others, and this price is what I got mine for used off Craiglist! I might buy it just to have a spare :D

I make a green drink and go over how to dissemble the Breville as well:
You may need to turn on the CC as it gets loud when on, enjoy!

wcmassey

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wcmassey

Thought so. Thanks!

ThunderThighs wrote:1) We pass you through to SqTr's site for purchasing so you'll probably just have to complete the purchase twice. Since you're buying one as a gift, you can put the 2nd one in the recipient's name. I did that for a blu-ray player for my brother.

2) That's personal opinion. I'll let wooters chime in for that.

3) To ship to another address, you need to order them separately. One to one address; the other to the second address. That means each order will have the $5 shipping charge. Still cheaper than you could send yourself though (most likely).

MrFix3

quality posts: 0 Private Messages MrFix3

Bought the compact version of this juicer back in December for about $100 so this is a nice deal. It works great, and is pretty easy to clean.

Our morning juice routine is one each of apple, pear, orange, and lemon, plus two celery stalks, two carrots, and a handful of kale.

We take some of the pulp and feed it to my daughter's guinea pig.

Almost wish our unit was dying so I could buy this one but can't justify the cost since our current unit is going strong.

Manki

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Manki

I have a masticating juicer that's better for leafy greens than this one. Though I love mine, it doesn't do carrots as well as blade juicers and was pricey(but worth it) This price is really great for a quality juicer. I suggest you watch fat sick and nearly dead before this deal runs out. Do it!!!!

-

rebeltreble

quality posts: 17 Private Messages rebeltreble
shassy wrote:OK guys -- you talked me into it!

I like these sites the best:
http://www.rebootwithjoe.com/category/blog/recipes/juice

http://www.juicingforweightloss.com/juicing-recipes

Signatures are harshing my mellow.

dwags2

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dwags2

Had one of these but ended up selling it and upgrading to a masticating juicer. This one tended to leak around the seam where the top portion meets the juice collector (the part with the spout that dumps into the juice jug).

keysmad

quality posts: 10 Private Messages keysmad

I am soooo excited! I just bought this! A few months ago, my hubby and I did a juice cleanse and I juiced everything by hand. Each juice took about an hour to prepare for 20 ounces. The thought of making that much juice in like a matter of minutes is mind boggling.

miken927

quality posts: 122 Private Messages miken927

Until now, this was the only way to get juice from an orange!

------------------
I Bet on Sky

brettstr42

quality posts: 1 Private Messages brettstr42

Great video by Joe Cross (Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead - Guy) on Yahoo using this very Juicer. Good juice recipe too. "Liquid Sunshine"

http://screen.yahoo.com/mansome-233-mansome-guide-juicing-040000001.html

scotttampa

quality posts: 5 Private Messages scotttampa

http://www.amazon.com/Breville-RM-JE98XL-Certified-Remanufactured-Extractor/dp/B005E0A1MI

Wonder why squaretrade is only 5.89 on amazon for 2 years vs 16bux here 1 year... here is refurb on amazon showing squaretrade as addon...
Id suggest buying the 5.89 plan off amazon... thats what im gonna do...

EDIT...Thats NOT what im gonna do... just found this review that amazon is listing new warranty not refurb so she didnt get reimbursed! And they STILL havent fixed!
Here is the review comment::
I just purchased a refurbished mini-oven on Amazon.. This warranty was linked at the bottom of the ad for the oven. I clicked on this ad and there was no mention of new or refurbished on the ad, so I bought it, received my product and went to register it by serial number and I noticed that my item was listed as "new". I called Squartrade and they told me that the Amazon warranty will not cover refurb products and were rude on the phone. So, in summary even though there was no exclusion on this ad, Squartrade will not honor this warranty. They didn't offer a decent discount on the much higher price warranty from their site. The unfriendly Squartrade rep was not a bonus.I'm hoping Amazon will update the item description that this warranty will not cover a refurb so others don't waste their time. If I hadn't called, I wouldn't have known.

chuck718

quality posts: 4 Private Messages chuck718
michoutdoors wrote:Juice extractors use 5 times more fruits and veggies to make one glass of juice than a whole food juicer.

Poppycock. You're saying juicers like this Breville leave behind 80% of the fruits and veggies - they must only extract 20%, if the Vitamix yields 5 times as much. Anyone who's used one of these knows that is far from true. The Breville gets the vast majority (98%?) of the juice out, leaving a bit of dry pulp from a mound of fruits or veggies.

Juice vs. pulverized whole fruits or veggies including fiber, sure, they're different things. And many people may prefer or benefit from the fiber. But there's no call to bend the truth so far as your "5 times" claim does.

BTW, we own, and heartily endorse, the Breville.

Manki

It's so cool to see so many of you guys have done a juice fast. I did green juice for only 3 days and my face looked healthier and lost some weight. I felt a little drained but the other people who did the fast with me did not. The difference is that they had gone to the dr to check their health and didn't have any deficiencies. I might have had some. I stopped at three days, they went for 10. Just mentioning this so others don't get discouraged. My favorite part of the fast was retraining my concept of food. My step dads knee pain was reduced a lot in the process.

-

stm027

quality posts: 2 Private Messages stm027
shassy wrote:OK guys -- you talked me into it!

Throw in potatoes and use the pulp end to make potato pancakes.

I put chemicals in your food... seriously

polizzi82

quality posts: 7 Private Messages polizzi82

Storage: Fruit juices last a few days, veggie juices I wouldn't let them get past 24 hours (all in the fridge).

Great point to clean it ASAP and clean the filter between different juices (just a good brushing is fine). If you pre peel your fruit and veg it shouldn't clog up.

Compost the waste or cook with it.
If it's a wet recipe (pineapple, watermelon, mango mmm) you can run the wet pulp through again.

This juicer is very efficient but a different beast than a masticating juicer-hard to compare the two. Masticating squeezes the juice, these types spin the juice through its metal mesh basket.
There is a huge price difference and I haven't found one sub $300 with as good of reviews as this one. Most masticating (for home use) have wearable parts and don't last. Nothing beats a commerical version, most juice bars (even Jamba Juice, Whole Foods juice bar) use them as they are easier to clean and waste less. I can only imagine how many of thousands of dollars they cost.

As for the diet, the first time, and first week especially you feel like your dying. You are really having withdrawal as most of us overweight people have food addictions and eat for pleasure. Keep busy and preoccupy yourself. Caffeine will give you headaches for 2 days, try to taper off your coffee and soda ahead of time-it will make your experience so much better.

Drink LOTS of water and check in with your Dr as often as you find appropriate. Kale and leafy greens have a surprising amount of protein. Anyways, good luck to all and try to network or juice with a friend or coworker ;)

Sorry for the long post.

karina25 wrote:I was wondering if you are able to make juice in advance, and if so how long can you store them for?

bahwm

quality posts: 29 Private Messages bahwm

We've recently gotten into smoothies. Why not get into juicing?

Edit: Too funny! I didn't even get to see my name in lights--the rush is on to a sell out!

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

outz

quality posts: 1 Private Messages outz

in for one... does juicing make you fat?

MyGirlsMom3

quality posts: 0 Private Messages MyGirlsMom3
karina25 wrote:I was wondering if you are able to make juice in advance, and if so how long can you store them for?

We've been juicing for years. One trick we've found is to vacuum seal and refrigerate the fresh juice in quart jars. It make a huge difference in keeping the juice fresh tasting. We make about 3 days worth at a time this way.

We use one of these things with our foodsaver.
http://www.amazon.com/FoodSaver-T03-0023-01-Wide-Mouth-Jar-Sealer/dp/B00005TN7H/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1377743424&sr=8-1&keywords=mason+jar+sealer

Manki

outz wrote:in for one... does juicing make you fat?

Yes. Fat with Nutrients! ;D

-

sdc100

quality posts: 505 Private Messages sdc100
jupiterstrauss wrote:We have one. Love it. We compost. Should have got the one without the shoot. For weight loss, stay away from fruit, stick with veges of every color.

Focusing on veggies is generally a good idea, but many helpful chemicals are only found in high concentration in fruits. For one thing, veggies often lack helpful acids, just as fruits lack helpful fats. Beneficial chemicals found in fruits include the powerful anti-inflammatory, anthocyanin (sour cherries), and the current miracle compound, Resveratrol (grape skin, responsible for the benefits of red wine), which may reverse the aging process. Healthy non-diabetics can enjoy a balance of both fruits and vegetables. Diabetics, however, should limit sugary fruits as well as most starchy veggies.

sdc100

michoutdoors wrote:If you buy one of these, you had better keep your checkbook loaded up for all of the extra $$ you will be spending on fruits and veggies. Juice extractors use 5 times more fruits and veggies to make one glass of juice than a whole food juicer. Many of the health benefits of eating fruits and veggies are also stripped away when you extract. Woot had the Vitamix up for sale in the last week. Albeit they cost a chunk more $$ up front, you will never be sorry you bought one in the long run. I guarantee you won't be wasting your time or $$ prepping a half of a sink full of fruits and veggies to make a glass of juice. One apple, some blueberries, a banana, a few strawberries and a cup of yogurt...walla! Juice for the whole family...and no pulp to throw away (read...wasted fiber and assorted nutrients). And the Vitamix cleans itself in under a minute. Juice on fellow Wooters!

This is misleading because whole food juicers are simply powerful blenders. They puree the fruits so yeah, you end up with more volume and weight because the flesh is kept. But they're not true juicers, whose point is to separate the juice from the flesh. No need to waste money on a Vitamix unless you do commercial pureeing. Simply buy a high watt blender with a good blade, around 400 watts for about $80. I have an 800 watt Italian blender and it will pulverize fruits and veggies as well as the overhypered and overpriced Vitamix. One of my fellow researchers,a nutritionist, compared the nutritional contents of the "juice" from a Vitamix vs a good blender and they were identical. And neither were true juices. So no, you're not getting more juice from Vitamix.

sdc100

rebeltreble wrote:That too, but I juice every morning and then at night when I'm "fasting" (like now). I think it would make me too lazy to make my dinner juice if it was dirty when I got of work. To each their own, but the important thing is to soak/wash right away!

I as surprised how many Amazon comments complained of a stained filter. All I can think is they didn't clean it properly and somehow that is Brevilles fault.

No, it's not the user's fault. Carrot is usually the culprit, and staining is unavoidable. Tomatoes may also be a problem. One of my colleagues is a research nutritionist and even her equipment gets semi-permanently stained by carrots. And she cleans with harsh industrial chemicals and machines.