rrsuthy


quality posts: 2 Private Messages rrsuthy

Does anyone know if I can connect a Mifi, or something like that to this? My daughter loves her kindle fire, but that is the big draw back - we have to be near wifi for her to get full use out of it.

gandalas


quality posts: 0 Private Messages gandalas
ab40bwdrd wrote:I am lookung for a tablet that will be compatable with the att wireless network. Does woot ever have teblets with wireless capability? Is the wireless piece something you can add or enable as far as hardware? Thanks in advance!



There are USB adapters that can connect to AT&T's network, yes. For an example of one, here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sierra-Wireless-Unlocked-313U-AT-T-USBConnect-Momentum-4G-Mobile-AirCard-/271229392534#vi-content

cujodu


quality posts: 0 Private Messages cujodu
msjoanne wrote:Refurbs are 100% tested. New items go through random sampling QA ( if that). I've bought everything from Apple iPods to large televisions at SIGNIFICANT savings and have yet to regret a single purchase. I've actually come to prefer refurbs because I know they're going to work.



Personally, with Woot refurbs, I've had about a 33% fail rate. Just bad luck maybe. This is a great tablet but I don't want to gamble on it.

chaseg327


quality posts: 0 Private Messages chaseg327

If you're looking into getting one of the Asus Transformer tablets, definitely get this one (the 300t) over the Transformer Infinity (700t). I had the 700t for a short time and although it was a beautiful device with great build quality, the hi-res screen (as nice as it was to look at) was a battery and processor hog...The device lagged like crazy and I got less than stellar battery life. I hear this 300 model performs much better (and the screen still looks wonderful).

A generic statement about all of the Transformer models: The features and keyboard dock make this such a wonderful device. I personally think the keyboard is a joy to use and the extra ports and battery life it adds are so cool.

suchdeo


quality posts: 0 Private Messages suchdeo

Woot team / community ,
Does factory reconditioned mean :
Fully functional , with warranty , possibility of some visual blemishes?

Is is the same as refurbished or does woot treat that differently?

Does the manufacturer treat those the same a woot if you buy one from here in case of issues?

Thanks

tiredoftry


quality posts: 0 Private Messages tiredoftry

I have an Asus Transformer Infinity and I love the tablet, but one issue that so far they cannot seem to resolve is that it cannot keep time. This may not be a big deal to you if you are just going to use it for games, ebooks, etc, but if you want reminders, logs, etc which are time sensitive, you will be disappointed.

sdc100


quality posts: 507 Private Messages sdc100
krushrpants wrote:I keep seeing this tablet and it seems to be one of the best ones regularly offered on woot. Recently moved and there's a good chance I won't be able to get any sort of hardline for internet access...

I did notice under the specs it lists Wireless Data Network but didn't see any kind of 3G/4G or other, would that mean I'm out of luck with this one? Is there a version of this tablet that has a data plan option?

EDIT: Looks like the TF300TG is the one with the 3G option - bummer :/



You can always tether the tablet to your smartphone. Or get a 3G dongle. Unfortunately, it means having to leave the keyboard on because that is the only way to access USB devices. Here are instructions on how to hook a tablet up to a 3G dongle.

Here's a video as well

chicokiri


quality posts: 0 Private Messages chicokiri

Random note for any potential gamers. With Android's native gamepad support, and the recent push for gamepad-enabled games (started with the Xperia Play, but really brought forward with the nVidia Shield), a PS3 controller makes a great companion to this device.

Most Android tabs already support the PS3 controller via USB, but the Transformer series was the first I'm aware of to include native support for it's wireless mode. Just turn on bluetooth, plug in the PS3 controller, wait a moment, unplug the controller, and you've got a wireless game controller that will work perfectly well with most gamepad enabled games. Most other tabs require root privelages and a separate app to get the PS3 controller's wireless interface working.

sdc100


quality posts: 507 Private Messages sdc100
tiredoftry wrote:I have an Asus Transformer Infinity and I love the tablet, but one issue that so far they cannot seem to resolve is that it cannot keep time. This may not be a big deal to you if you are just going to use it for games, ebooks, etc, but if you want reminders, logs, etc which are time sensitive, you will be disappointed.



My Asus has no problems with time accuracy. It is synced with my network whenever I'm online, and the internal clock keeps accurate time even when I'm not. I just checked and it matches my atomic clock (and cellphone and cable box) to the second.

It sounds like you have a faulty unit. Have you turned on the auto-sync option in Settings?

mscarlson57


quality posts: 0 Private Messages mscarlson57

Can anyone tell me if the Asus is a good product for windows 8 platform; touchscreen and expandable memory?

I need a tablet that will expand and last for an overseas assignment and limited budget!

chrisautrey


quality posts: 8 Private Messages chrisautrey
cujodu wrote:Personally, with Woot refurbs, I've had about a 33% fail rate. Just bad luck maybe. This is a great tablet but I don't want to gamble on it.



My Vizio refurb tablet from Woot messed up it's charging port right after the refurb warranty was up. Put's me at about 50% on refurb tablets.

sdc100


quality posts: 507 Private Messages sdc100
cujodu wrote:Personally, with Woot refurbs, I've had about a 33% fail rate. Just bad luck maybe. This is a great tablet but I don't want to gamble on it.



This isn't a Woot refurb. This was factory refurbed by Asus, and warrantied by Asus. Products that were refurbed by outside services are warrantied by Woot, and may be less reliable.

donjuevas


quality posts: 1 Private Messages donjuevas
gandalas wrote:There are USB adapters that can connect to AT&T's network, yes. For an example of one, here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sierra-Wireless-Unlocked-313U-AT-T-USBConnect-Momentum-4G-Mobile-AirCard-/271229392534#vi-content



Sorry, I am a tech manager at AT&T and our USB dongles do not work with Android, and more than likely never will. To use them you have to use our communication manager which is only windows and mac based. Plus, they are being phased out.

I would suggest tethering it with your phone if you can or you can get a mifi device, a portable wifi hotspot, that allows you to connect whatever you want via wifi, much easier and more reliable.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MOBILE-HOTSPOT-MIFI-5792-LIBERATE-ATT-NOVATEL-4G-LTE-/300957519270?pt=US_Mobile_Broadband_Devices&hash=item4612774da6

chrisautrey


quality posts: 8 Private Messages chrisautrey
mscarlson57 wrote:Can anyone tell me if the Asus is a good product for windows 8 platform; touchscreen and expandable memory?

I need a tablet that will expand and last for an overseas assignment and limited budget!



This tablet runs Android (4.2.1 as of the latest update). It will not run Windows.

sdc100


quality posts: 507 Private Messages sdc100
mscarlson57 wrote:Can anyone tell me if the Asus is a good product for windows 8 platform; touchscreen and expandable memory?

I need a tablet that will expand and last for an overseas assignment and limited budget!



This tablet runs Android, not Windows 8. If you want a WIndows 8 tablet, try one of Microsoft's tablets, i.e Surface, or something like the Acer Iconia W3. Unfortunately, Windows 8 tablets are much more expensive than Android tablets.

ThunderThighs


quality posts: 605 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

suchdeo wrote:Woot team / community ,
Does factory reconditioned mean :
Fully functional , with warranty , possibility of some visual blemishes?

Is is the same as refurbished or does woot treat that differently?

Does the manufacturer treat those the same a woot if you buy one from here in case of issues?

Thanks


Our definition of Factory Reconditioned:

A "factory reconditioned" item was returned, inspected, and restored to fully working condition by the original manufacturer or a certified partner. And the original manufacturer stands behind it with a warranty. It's as close to new as you can get without technically being "new".




FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

ThunderThighs


quality posts: 605 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

sdc100 wrote:This isn't a Woot refurb. This was factory refurbed by Asus, and warrantied by Asus. Products that were refurbed by outside services are warrantied by Woot, and may be less reliable.

Just to be clear, Woot doesn't refurbish any product. It's either factory reconditioned by the manufacturer (or someone they designate) or by a 3rd party.




FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

sdc100


quality posts: 507 Private Messages sdc100
suchdeo wrote:Woot team / community ,
Does factory reconditioned mean :
Fully functional , with warranty , possibility of some visual blemishes?

Is is the same as refurbished or does woot treat that differently?

Does the manufacturer treat those the same a woot if you buy one from here in case of issues?

Thanks



Yes, reconditioned and refurbished mean the same thing. SOmetimes, there are blemishes but often the item will look brand new. Packaging will vary so you may want to keep that in mind for gifting. Sometimes the item will come in a plain brown box, and sometimes the word "REFURBISHED" will be very obvious.

Woot sells two type of refurbished items. Some are refurbished by the manufacturer, and some are refurbished by an outside company. In the first case, a new warranty will be provided by the company (90 days for this tablet). In the second, the warranty will be provided by the outside company or by Woot. Most people prefer manufacturer reconditioning.

To make a warranty claim, you will need the Woot receipt. And yes, you should be treated the same no matter where you bought it.

ManiacDan


quality posts: 4 Private Messages ManiacDan

I have the t700 and for the first few months it was the best purchase I've ever made. Then the slowness started. Unless these devices are regularly formatted you're going to experience unacceptable slowdown. I blame the RAM, 1GB is not enough for what these devices are attempting to do. Full HD 3D rendering, multitasking, and background downloads just cannot happen on 1GB of RAM. 2GB would solve this issue, but sadly it's not expandable and I find my tablet spends most of its time in my bag while I use a "real" computer. This only exacerbates the problem because the longer the tablet spends turned off, the longer it takes to "catch up" with all my emails, calendars, app updates, etc. I've started an experiment where I keep it on and active at all times in a dock on my desk and grab it for meetings and whenever I go outside, but we'll see if keeping it always up-to-date helps at all. I formatted it yesterday and it's much more responsive, maybe constantly forcing it to be "like new" is what you need to do to make these usable.

To be clear: I'm a software architect who multi-tasks a LOT more than most people. If you want to check facebook and watch a movie, this tablet is more than adequate. If you're looking up software documentation and generating large documents which you're then sharing via screen-sharing to people across the continent, use a real computer.

kenfromlv


quality posts: 0 Private Messages kenfromlv
AdamusPrime4242 wrote:Can you tell us where you find a nice leather folio too?



I'm not the original poster, but I do have a recommendation on a leather cover. I use the Poetic Flexbook cover. Can be used with or without the keyboard. There is also a version for use without the keyboard called the Slimbook. Available on Amazon.

suchdeo


quality posts: 0 Private Messages suchdeo
sdc100 wrote:Yes, reconditioned and refurbished mean the same thing. SOmetimes, there are blemishes but often the item will look brand new. Packaging will vary so you may want to keep that in mind for gifting. Sometimes the item will come in a plain brown box, and sometimes the word "REFURBISHED" will be very obvious.

Woot sells two type of refurbished items. Some are refurbished by the manufacturer, and some are refurbished by an outside company. In the first case, a new warranty will be provided by the company (90 days for this tablet). In the second, the warranty will be provided by the outside company or by Woot. Most people prefer manufacturer reconditioning.

To make a warranty claim, you will need the Woot receipt. And yes, you should be treated the same no matter where you bought it.



Thank for the detailed response. Much appreciated.

alextse


quality posts: 24 Private Messages alextse
ManiacDan wrote:I have the t700 and for the first few months it was the best purchase I've ever made. Then the slowness started. Unless these devices are regularly formatted you're going to experience unacceptable slowdown. I blame the RAM, 1GB is not enough for what these devices are attempting to do. Full HD 3D rendering, multitasking, and background downloads just cannot happen on 1GB of RAM. 2GB would solve this issue, but sadly it's not expandable and I find my tablet spends most of its time in my bag while I use a "real" computer. This only exacerbates the problem because the longer the tablet spends turned off, the longer it takes to "catch up" with all my emails, calendars, app updates, etc. I've started an experiment where I keep it on and active at all times in a dock on my desk and grab it for meetings and whenever I go outside, but we'll see if keeping it always up-to-date helps at all. I formatted it yesterday and it's much more responsive, maybe constantly forcing it to be "like new" is what you need to do to make these usable.

To be clear: I'm a software architect who multi-tasks a LOT more than most people. If you want to check facebook and watch a movie, this tablet is more than adequate. If you're looking up software documentation and generating large documents which you're then sharing via screen-sharing to people across the continent, use a real computer.



My understanding is that this eventual "slowness" is due to the type of internal storage memory in use. Apparently Android 4.3 has implemented garbage collection and clean-up which should keep your device chugging along. In the meantime, I think there's a free app called "SD Cleaner" (I think) that will do the same thing but on demand instead of in the background.

I also agree that 1 GB of RAM is not a great amount, hence I'm personally waiting on the newer TF701T to hit the market which has a whopping...TWO GB of RAM! In comparison, the also new Galaxy Note 10.1 has THREE GB. It's too bad these aren't user upgradeable like on a regular PC, would definitely help in keeping these devices capable for an extra year or two.

RPaulG87


quality posts: 0 Private Messages RPaulG87

I still don't get these Android tablets. My Samsung Note 2 phone has the same specs + 2GB of ram vs all of these Android tablets that have only 1GB (and Ice Cream\Jelly Bean are pretty intensive esp if multi-tasking. Just seems silly to buy a tablet less powerful and far slower than my phone

alexbecca


quality posts: 0 Private Messages alexbecca

I'm a novice at this... Could someone please let me know whether I could load and work on documents from my desktop that were written in Word 2007 and put them back on my desktop? Would I have enough memory to do standard office work?
Is there an Android app comparable to QuickBooks, or would I be limited to QuickBooks online only?
Thanks.

confused15


quality posts: 7 Private Messages confused15
chrisautrey wrote:I love my TF300. Not so thrilled with Asus repair service.



I agree. I bought this tablet in January and mine had the touch screen issue, so I had to send it in for repair and eat the cost of shipping. When I got it back, same issue as before I sent it in. I finally just bought a digitizer myself off ebay and all is well now. Note that there are 4 different digitizers for these things, so be careful if you try the diy route yourself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_JRLd7lPv8

neriton9


quality posts: 1 Private Messages neriton9

My two cents....

Wooted the 16GB version for my wife last November. Liked it enough to get the 32GB version when in came up on Woot in January.

No problems with hers. Mine had a dock issue. Shipped the dock back to Asus (my cost for shipping)and they warranty repaired it and no problems since.

Had some slowness, lag issues with mine. Bit the bullet and after much web research installed the CROMi-X custom ROM (based on Jelly Bean) and have been really impressed with it. (Doing this install voids the Asus warranty but the 90 day refurb warranty had expired anyway.)

For those looking for accessories, we have these two items and think they're great.

ArmorSuit MilitaryShield - ASUS Transformer Pad TF300 Tablet Screen Protector Shield + Lifetime Replacements

MoKo Flip Stand Cover Case for ASUS Transformer Pad TF300 and Multi-Functional Docking Station , Black

You need to be patient installing the ArmorSuit screen protector but it is impressive. MoKo cover works fine with and without the dock.

It's still a tablet, not a laptop but will do much of what you expect a laptop to do. No Flash support for Android anymore but if you search the web for "Flash for Android" there are lots of references to help you install it and make it work. You just have to use browsers other than Chrome. Chrome knows Flash isn't supported on Android and won't run it. Firefox and stock browser work just fine.

neriton9


quality posts: 1 Private Messages neriton9
alexbecca wrote: ....could load and work on documents from my desktop that were written in Word 2007 and put them back on my desktop? Would I have enough memory to do standard office work?



Polaris Office comes pre-loaded. Haven't had any problems using it on MS Office based documents. Using a cloud service like box.com or dropbox.com makes moving docs around very easy.

"Polaris® Office® 3.0 is a professional mobile office solution which enables users to edit various types of office documents including documents (.doc), spreadsheets (.xls) and presentation files (.ppt),"

tmiller19711


quality posts: 0 Private Messages tmiller19711
p2367 wrote:is there an email app, similar to Outlook Express? I'm thinking of not getting a replacement for my desktop (or, rather, replacing it with a tablet). Can I use the USB to access the hard drives I've collected from my departed Windows machines? They've got email archives and music and pics that I'd like to be able to get to.



I run Touchdown HD on my, connects right to the Exchange server for mail, calendar, etc.

mergyiii


quality posts: 1 Private Messages mergyiii
bklamber5 wrote:Not a great deal as can sometimes find the Infinity with dock for $299, definitely no more than $349. Surprised charging anything over $200 for the older model Transformer.



I agree. Can't believe these are still close to 300 bucks. It's good for games, but it doesn't take much googling to find issues with wifi and also simply using a web browser on it ... Read: SUPER SLOW. Oh and lack of out of box flash support is mind boggling...but that is another tangent all together. so yes, it's a great game tablet for the kids, but not a powerhouse by any means for an adult who actually would use it on the web

mergyiii


quality posts: 1 Private Messages mergyiii
alextse wrote:My understanding is that this eventual "slowness" is due to the type of internal storage memory in use. Apparently Android 4.3 has implemented garbage collection and clean-up which should keep your device chugging along. In the meantime, I think there's a free app called "SD Cleaner" (I think) that will do the same thing but on demand instead of in the background.

I also agree that 1 GB of RAM is not a great amount, hence I'm personally waiting on the newer TF701T to hit the market which has a whopping...TWO GB of RAM! In comparison, the also new Galaxy Note 10.1 has THREE GB. It's too bad these aren't user upgradeable like on a regular PC, would definitely help in keeping these devices capable for an extra year or two.



Great post. Yes some googling results in finding you need to push volume down and power button at same time to reboot clearing the cache to keep things running smooth, which reminds me of windows95 frankly...

eebovipe


quality posts: 0 Private Messages eebovipe
kopitog wrote:Can the angle at which the tablet is mounted in the dock be adjusted?
Also, has anyone here done any programming on Android tablets? If so, how is it?



The tablet goes into the dock only one way, but there is a hinge so you can open and close and tilt it just like you would a laptop.

tigerxchaos


quality posts: 7 Private Messages tigerxchaos

Can this tablet be folded up to close completely like a laptop while still docked with the keyboard? Or is it basically a situation where the keyboard stays in one place and you remove the tablet when you want to move?

AndyTK


quality posts: 0 Private Messages AndyTK

Just a couple of questions for anyone that can answer. Does this pad offer Adobe Flash support. I ask because I would use it almost exclusively for that function on sing Snap. Also, can you tell me what Rooting the device means and provides in functionality.
thanks all.

joseph321


quality posts: 0 Private Messages joseph321

You can also connect via USB without the dock (i.e. you can connect a dongle or any other USB device onto the tablet) by first connecting an Asus USB adapter -- it plugs into the tablet's charging port. The adapter goes for <$20 on Amazon.com.

sdc100 wrote:You can always tether the tablet to your smartphone. Or get a 3G dongle. Unfortunately, it means having to leave the keyboard on because that is the only way to access USB devices. Here are instructions on how to hook a tablet up to a 3G dongle.

Here's a video as well



adamsfamily2011


quality posts: 1 Private Messages adamsfamily2011
msjoanne wrote:Refurbs are 100% tested. New items go through random sampling QA ( if that). I've bought everything from Apple iPods to large televisions at SIGNIFICANT savings and have yet to regret a single purchase. I've actually come to prefer refurbs because I know they're going to work.



I'm with you - I actually prefer to buy refurbs also as I know they have gone back to the manufacturer and been updated with the current software and settings and a majority of the bugs have been worked out for you and you don't have to go figure out what the heck is wrong with it.

AndyTK


quality posts: 0 Private Messages AndyTK

My luck may not be typical but I have never had a problem with any refurbs from Woot. Purchased three of the phillips TV's now and have not had any problems what so ever. Have purchased many other electronic items with the same good results.

sdc100


quality posts: 507 Private Messages sdc100
RPaulG87 wrote:I still don't get these Android tablets. My Samsung Note 2 phone has the same specs + 2GB of ram vs all of these Android tablets that have only 1GB (and Ice Cream\Jelly Bean are pretty intensive esp if multi-tasking. Just seems silly to buy a tablet less powerful and far slower than my phone



You're forgetting what a tablet is, specifically Android and iOS tablets. They're essentially crippled smartphones with a large screen. By crippled, I mean that there aren't any phone functions so you're right, a tablet can be said to have fewer features. But that screen can be the most important aspect for many users. Reading and websurfing are two major functions on a tablet. Would you rather do those on a 7-10" screen or a 4" screen? There is no way I can get through even one chapter of an ebook on a smartphone. Websurfing, watching movies and many games are also more pleasant on a larger screen. As is wordprocessing and other business application.

The fact is, most of us tablet owners also own a laptop or desktop. So if we need memory and power, we can go there. I, for example, own 2 desktops and 2 laptops. A tablet is for portability, not power.

Finally, tablets are generally cheaper. For example, how much is your Samsung Note 2 without a contract? With a tablet, there is no contract to deal with so there are no hidden costs.

lunchboxxpiper


quality posts: 1 Private Messages lunchboxxpiper

I'm looking to get this to store and view all my PDF files of sheet music. Anyone have any experience with that or something similar on this tablet?

confused15


quality posts: 7 Private Messages confused15
tigerxchaos wrote:Can this tablet be folded up to close completely like a laptop while still docked with the keyboard? Or is it basically a situation where the keyboard stays in one place and you remove the tablet when you want to move?



It folds up just like a laptop, but I don't really seem to use the keyboard dock much. It's currently sitting under my coffee table collecting dust.

confused15


quality posts: 7 Private Messages confused15
AndyTK wrote:Just a couple of questions for anyone that can answer. Does this pad offer Adobe Flash support. I ask because I would use it almost exclusively for that function on sing Snap. Also, can you tell me what Rooting the device means and provides in functionality.
thanks all.



You can side-load the flash app, but it is no longer available in the google store for most android devices.

You can also root it if you want, it helps by getting rid of the Asus bs apps that can slow performance and also gives you the ability to load whichever flavor of android you like. Just remeber you void any warranties if you do, and if you brick it...
There's tons of information about it out there, remember google can be your best friend.