kimvy


quality posts: 0 Private Messages kimvy

Considering I didn't have an "engagement" ring until about six years after being married and picked it out myself and didn't spend a lot.... Like some of the other ladies are saying, don't assume that all of us want major bling.

These are good for costume jewelry and the bands can be used to stack or just as right hand rings. It's too bad the bands aren't offered separately.

slinkey


quality posts: 0 Private Messages slinkey

Same size here, but you can always have it resized. (Even if the cost is about the same as the ring itself)

redshoes wrote:I would have bought these to wear while travelling to imply that I am married and would prefer not to be hit on (when I would just generally prefer not to be hit on) but my ring finger is a 4.5 and these don't go smaller than a 6. I am dissapoint.



LaKASkill


quality posts: 15 Private Messages LaKASkill
nmchapma wrote:I was very young when I got married (still am actually). My mother reminded me before I purchased her ring that it's something she'll wear forever, and she'll never give it back for me to change and no replacement will ever be as good as the first one. I spent at least 3 months of an engineers salary on my wifes ring. It's the Tacori that shows up in all the magazines. I can't say I could have bought my car with that money but it would have made a nice downpayment. We don't live lavish lives but we're lucky enough to have what we need and a few extras. I would still spend the money I did on her ring. She loves it and I'm very proud to see her show it off. Some things are worth it. This was one of those things.

Yes, the diamond market is inflated and the world isn't fair. That wasn't an excuse for her not to have exactly what she deserves. Sometimes excessive is a good thing :-)



Ummm Honey... Remember that engagement ring? I think I left it in the bathroom at Waffle House last night.... Are you mad? Honey? Why is your face so red? Baby?

LaKASkill


quality posts: 15 Private Messages LaKASkill

My wife thought they looked nice and picked one out. $25 is not bad.

vladistov


quality posts: 50 Private Messages vladistov

A woman who would proudly wear a $20.00 engagement ring should be a woman worth more than all the diamonds in the world.

Jayrookie


quality posts: 6 Private Messages Jayrookie
jamina1 wrote:I worked as a jewelry sales person and I can tell you several things:

1) Diamonds are cheap, but marked up like crazy.
2) People are super picky about what basically amounts to a hunk of coal. Oh, its got good color but a minor imperfection? I'M TOO GOOD FOR THAT! Or its HUGE and affordable but the color is a bit off? NOPE, WON'T GO NEAR IT. I.E. People are diamond snobs for no good reason. There are plenty of big rocks out there with H or I color but no one buys them because they aren't "perfect".
3) Cubic Zirconia is more sparkly than real diamonds - in the light it LOOKS better.
4) And hell, ITS CHEAP! Why the hell should you put yourself into debt for some stupid status symbol right before you're beginning your life together? That makes no sense.
If your woman is going to berate you because the ring "wasn't expensive enough" then you have more problems than you think, bucko.


Diamonds are not cheap, they are purchased cheap from people who acquire them as good deals or sometimes traded, AND THEN they are marked up according to an accurate diamond pricing guide. So if you bought a $100 bill for $10 you would turn around and sell it for $100. So in a sense like that, yes the markup is crazy but its just a matter of supply and demand.

badcatstl


quality posts: 6 Private Messages badcatstl

I wear these types when I'm going out of town or my real set is being worked on. They work great for that. I don't want to wear my real set to the beach and either lose it in the sand or risk someone helping themselves to it at the hotel.

Helenr1966


quality posts: 1 Private Messages Helenr1966

It doesn't say anywhere what the "stone" is, is it CZ or "crystal" or cut glass or what?

Bookatze


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Bookatze

Way back (way, way back) when I was young, single, and attractive, I wore a cheap wedding band to deter unwanted attention when I was not interested in dating. I would have loved something like this back then, and for $20! I'd have been thrilled!

Bookatze


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Bookatze
Helenr1966 wrote:It doesn't say anywhere what the "stone" is, is it CZ or "crystal" or cut glass or what?



Click on the Specs tab. The one I looked at says it is CZ, and it will tell you the total carats.

ethibaul


quality posts: 5 Private Messages ethibaul
nmchapma wrote:Yes, the diamond market is inflated and the world isn't fair. That wasn't an excuse for her not to have exactly what she deserves. Sometimes excessive is a good thing :-)


First, it sounds like your wife hit the jackpot, and I'm not speaking about her ring. (Although, lets be honest, the Tacori settings are exquisite, and I'm pea green with envy in that regard!!)

Second, I'm shocked no one has posted size charts - as several of us have experienced, life's events change our ring size over the years. We need to make sure we're not just getting another piece of ill fitting costume jewelry!

For everyone's measuring pleasure, here are a couple that I used and matched to my current set, and found them to be fairly accurate.

http://www.evesaddiction.com/ring-size.html &
http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/jewelbasket/ring-size-actual-chart.pdf (The image from before was getting enlarged somehow, so this pdf version is less risky.)

nmchapma


quality posts: 23 Private Messages nmchapma
LaKASkill wrote:Ummm Honey... Remember that engagement ring? I think I left it in the bathroom at Waffle House last night.... Are you mad? Honey? Why is your face so red? Baby?



It's insured :-0 Actually appraised for a bit more than I paid for it.

cshiber


quality posts: 0 Private Messages cshiber

These are great when travelling. Keep the 'spensive one at home.

morpheus282


quality posts: 6 Private Messages morpheus282
jeremymiles wrote:3 months salary was made up be De Beers, to help them to sell more diamons.



So was the myth that diamonds are rare.

ndk0911


quality posts: 1 Private Messages ndk0911

I believe these are for the girl who doesn't want to be hit on at a bar/club.

Dictatorkris


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Dictatorkris

The crass materialism on display here is pathetic. For the couple that feels this is a perfect expression of their practicality this offer is in no way shape or form a condemnation of their love. Just because other people's expectations differ from yours does not mean that you deserve to shame them about their spending choices. Focus on the guy that gets this and lies not on the couple that think this offer could save them a lot of money, money better spent on the rest of their wedding or the rest of their lives.

beck12


quality posts: 41 Private Messages beck12
rmwhite401 wrote:Last time I checked, a good woman doesn't get married for the ring. If men would only realize that they would not end up with trifling women. My engagement ring was $100.00 from QVC and I love it just as if it were the real thing, 18 years and counting.
Don't go broke on a ring or a wedding..that's not the important things!


I didn't get married "for the ring" nor would I have settled fora tiny thing & that doesn't make me triffling OR in for the short haul (it's been 23 yrs actually). But Dh had lots of expensive things he had bought for himself & I would absolutely EXPECT he spend a chunk of change on me & his proposal if he can spend a chunk on toys for himself. I can't fathom why women would be willing to accept a cheap ring when their man drives a pricey car or has other expensive PERSONAL items he seems to afford that amount to junk that rusts, fades & is gone.....

No matter WHAT anyone says - it is also an investment. I certainly won't be buried with it & either my children will get it OR we will sell if if we ever find ourselves in a bind. You can't say the same for his car, which will drop by half in value in a few year's time, much less 23 yrs...... it certainly will never be anything he passes down to our kids...neither will 100 rounds of golf, a boat, etc,etc, etc. With that said I have a similar ring to these for travel & camping. Sometimes I opt to wear no ring, sometimes I like to have a back up ring I really am not worried about loosing. Mine is fully insured...but the point is, I wouldn't want it replaced, I want what I have. At this point, what I find a little sad is how many of my friends are getting "upgrades" and not wearing their initial band. I would be sad if I was "trading up"...I want to wear what I got when we got married & am glad that mine is pre-upgraded I guess.

spending my kid's college funds one woot off at a time

rjzii


quality posts: 0 Private Messages rjzii
schighschagh wrote:Pray tell, how do you go about damaging diamonds with your hands?

Diamonds actually cleave fairly easily if they are struck along one of the crystallographic planes so if the diamond has visible cleavage as an internal flaw (which happens in the lower grade ones) a solid whack against a hard surface could cause it to break.

morpheus282 wrote:So was the myth that diamonds are rare.

It's not a myth per se since they are rare but rarity is a relative thing. A good number of the colored gemstones are actually rarer than diamonds are (i.e. Alexandrite, Tanzanite) but aren't as "popular" as diamonds so they don't sell for as much money.

hardworkingjulie


quality posts: 15 Private Messages hardworkingjulie

These would make very pretty 'vacation' rings. I don't like to bring my best stuff when I'm traveling! Jokes on you, potential muggers!

luckyheathergreen


quality posts: 0 Private Messages luckyheathergreen

I had my husband (20yrs+) pick me out one of these set’s yesterday , it’s not the amount that he spent that counts to me it’s the fact that he picked it out by his self and I will not tell him that he picked the wrong one, I will wear the $20 set with pride.

llocutus


quality posts: 5 Private Messages llocutus

We had to sell my wife's engagement ring (real gold, real diamond) to buy essentials (TP etc) and only got 30 bucks for it at a pawn shop. I would be in for a set of these, as the MSRP is what we paid for ours and the price is what we got, basically. The only problem is that Woot only carries up to size 9.

TT, make sure that next time you guys at least get some 10's or 11's in.

ThunderThighs


quality posts: 547 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

llocutus wrote:We had to sell my wife's engagement ring (real gold, real diamond) to buy essentials (TP etc) and only got 30 bucks for it at a pawn shop. I would be in for a set of these, as the MSRP is what we paid for ours and the price is what we got, basically. The only problem is that Woot only carries up to size 9.

TT, make sure that next time you guys at least get some 10's or 11's in.


I've passed the request on to the buyer. Thanks!



Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

csvargas


quality posts: 0 Private Messages csvargas

My engagement "ring" was the down payment on our house - a much wiser investment in my opinion. we also chose simple bands as our wedding rings. we spent all our money on an unforgettable honeymoon!
http://www.wood-rings.com/

bamzilla


quality posts: 3 Private Messages bamzilla

So, completely disregarding the superficial posts about having to spend thousands of dollars on a ring - has anyone actually purchased a white gold plated silver ring? How does it wear with hand washing, age, etc?

anewkeitaro


quality posts: 0 Private Messages anewkeitaro

Michael Scott spent 3 years salary on his ring.

squeaks321


quality posts: 0 Private Messages squeaks321

limit 3 per customer

andrewtl


quality posts: 22 Private Messages andrewtl

"Make one workday's salary last forever" LOL

pfffft!

enaych


quality posts: 4 Private Messages enaych
jeremymiles wrote:3 months salary was made up be De Beers, to help them to sell more diamons.



Exactly. 20 years ago, the "rule" was only 2 month's salary.

In terms of financial attitudes, you've got to be on the same page with your potential mate, or you're in for a life of misery.

Might as well have a signature now since I have something to put into it.



enaych


quality posts: 4 Private Messages enaych

CZs don't bother me, but "gold-plated" is a problem. This is very low quality. If you want to go inexpensive but not cheap, look for gold filled. There is a difference.

From http://www.ehow.com/facts_6017694_difference-between-gold_filled-gold_plated_.html

Gold-filled Jewelry

Gold-filled jewelry uses a technique in which thin layers of gold are bonded by heat and pressure to a brass center. Several layers of a core metal are surrounded by at least 10k gold. Jewelers usually note the ratio of gold to base metals. United States requirements state that gold-filled jewelry must contain no less than 1/20 its weight in gold.

Gold-plated Jewelry

Gold-plated jewelry has a thin molecule of gold overlaying a base metal such as zinc, copper or nickel. This thin layer is not 14k and usually wears off the base within a short period of time. Jewelry makers utilize an electrochemical process to bind the thin layer of gold to the base metal. Gold-plated jewelry may contain varying thicknesses of gold.

Might as well have a signature now since I have something to put into it.



slinkey


quality posts: 0 Private Messages slinkey

So, to make it gold filled, they have to use brass as a base metal? Wouldn't that look funny coming out under white gold after a few years? Maybe that's why they went for gold plated?

enaych wrote:CZs don't bother me, but "gold-plated" is a problem. This is very low quality. If you want to go inexpensive but not cheap, look for gold filled. There is a difference.

From http://www.ehow.com/facts_6017694_difference-between-gold_filled-gold_plated_.html

Gold-filled Jewelry

Gold-filled jewelry uses a technique in which thin layers of gold are bonded by heat and pressure to a brass center. Several layers of a core metal are surrounded by at least 10k gold. Jewelers usually note the ratio of gold to base metals. United States requirements state that gold-filled jewelry must contain no less than 1/20 its weight in gold.

Gold-plated Jewelry

Gold-plated jewelry has a thin molecule of gold overlaying a base metal such as zinc, copper or nickel. This thin layer is not 14k and usually wears off the base within a short period of time. Jewelry makers utilize an electrochemical process to bind the thin layer of gold to the base metal. Gold-plated jewelry may contain varying thicknesses of gold.



Jayrookie


quality posts: 6 Private Messages Jayrookie

Will you marry me?

netwalker1138


quality posts: 1 Private Messages netwalker1138

I'm surprised this is the only mention of this and nobody else has quoted it. If the gold described is a rhodium or nickel alloy plating, I'm guessing there is more gold in my cellphone than on the surface of these rings.

This is one of those offerings that doesn't seem bad if looked at as "just a $20 ring set." Putting down a list price of $250 just makes me not want to even look. It screams "obviously crap."

CTMechE wrote:I'd like Woot to explain how something is 'plated' in White Gold.

White Gold jewelry is, itself, plated in Rhodium for the shiny silver look. You never actually see the muted muddy looking gold alloy inside until the Rhodium wears through, and you have to get it re-plated. (Commonly called "re-dipped."

There's nothing wrong with plain sterling silver jewelry - Tiffany & Co. does a great job of selling just that. So what's up with plating Sterling Silver in "White Gold?" Makes no sense to me.



mrsjhaye


quality posts: 16 Private Messages mrsjhaye
jamina1 wrote:I worked as a jewelry sales person and I can tell you several things:

1) Diamonds are cheap, but marked up like crazy.
2) People are super picky about what basically amounts to a hunk of coal. Oh, its got good color but a minor imperfection? I'M TOO GOOD FOR THAT! Or its HUGE and affordable but the color is a bit off? NOPE, WON'T GO NEAR IT. I.E. People are diamond snobs for no good reason. There are plenty of big rocks out there with H or I color but no one buys them because they aren't "perfect".
3) Cubic Zirconia is more sparkly than real diamonds - in the light it LOOKS better.
4) And hell, ITS CHEAP! Why the hell should you put yourself into debt for some stupid status symbol right before you're beginning your life together? That makes no sense.
If your woman is going to berate you because the ring "wasn't expensive enough" then you have more problems than you think, bucko.



Actually, diamonds are not a hunk of coal. Someone in the jewelry business should know better. Diamonds are a result of heat and pressure from volcanic activity. Coal is fossilized organic (carbon) material.

ThunderThighs


quality posts: 547 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

Jayrookie wrote:Will you marry me?

Not as romantic as I always dreamed of, but sure. Why not.



Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

rtcheung


quality posts: 1 Private Messages rtcheung
mrsjhaye wrote:Actually, diamonds are not a hunk of coal. Someone in the jewelry business should know better. Diamonds are a result of heat and pressure from volcanic activity. Coal is fossilized organic (carbon) material.



Uh well they technically not a hunk of coal.... but they're both made of carbon. Coal's just got a few extra secondary elements in there and the carbons in diamonds are just arranged differently.

Anyway..was thinking bout getting my gf one of these since she hates the awkwardness of getting hit on when shes out with the girls, but actually giving it to her could be a major fail if she took it the wrong way haha.

kpatterson67


quality posts: 3 Private Messages kpatterson67

I see no problems with buying a $20 ring set as long as the guy is up front about it and doesn't pretend it's real.

I've got a relatively inexpensive ring because my husband knew I wouldn't want a stupid expensive one. No big diamond in the middle.

Back it up with a promise to upgrade on your 10th or 20th anniversary to something fantastic. That's what my parents did and they've been married like... forever.

medbie


quality posts: 1 Private Messages medbie

Don't judge all women by the standards of movies. I never had an engagement ring, because we couldn't afford one at the time (and quite frankly, I wouldn't want a ring that costs "three months salary"). We bought wedding rings from Walmart, and were perfectly happy with them. I am buying a set of these (at my husband's suggestion) for fancier, dress up occasions. Guys, be wary of a women who requires a ring that costs three months of your salary, unless you happen to be rolling in the dough and it isn't a sacrifice.

morpheus282


quality posts: 6 Private Messages morpheus282
rjzii wrote:It's not a myth per se since they are rare but rarity is a relative thing. A good number of the colored gemstones are actually rarer than diamonds are (i.e. Alexandrite, Tanzanite) but aren't as "popular" as diamonds so they don't sell for as much money.



Diamonds aren't rare. Large 4+carat diamonds with no imperfections are rare, but the average size ring diamonds (>1 - 1.5 carat or so) are very common. There are huge diamond mines in Africa owned by the diamond cartels that limit production to a minuscule percentage of the true potential. This is what makes them 'rare' and keeps the price high. Even though the other gems you mention are rarer, the perceived rarity and value of a diamond and the ongoing marketing campaigns keep the demand high.

FlamingoNut


quality posts: 12 Private Messages FlamingoNut

These are great to:
- Take on vacation-leave the real bling safe at home, hidden in a decoy can of soup or vegetables.
- For a night out on the town, if you fear you might get mugged.
- On those days when your hands are a bit swelled.

As long as you only wear them occasionally, they'll last quite a while. I wish they had the marquise shape.

ahardan


quality posts: 0 Private Messages ahardan

DONT BUY here cheaper

http://www.groupon.com/pages/gg-18-karat-white-gold-plated-wedding-ring-sets