cosmotherobot

quality posts: 1 Private Messages cosmotherobot

Have a small cabin in the backwoods of New Hampshire. Will this keep my barrel and chemo from freezing? Can only take delivery every few months or so.

nivram

quality posts: 5 Private Messages nivram

Geez, at least with the overpriced Amish magical heaters, you get a nice wooden box surrounding your $30 heater!

A473497

quality posts: 0 Private Messages A473497
conanthelibrarian wrote:Let's watch a video

LOL. Love the video with all the fancy names for the interior components. I have a question though. If this unit is effective enough to heat even the single room the actors are in, why does the kid have to play just 12 inches from the front of the device?
Who writes these scripts?
Based on the commercial it's effective range is a 1 foot radius in a <90° arc directly in front of it.
Wait, I did not consider the child may be made of flame proof silicon.
OK never mind.

wsbnfm

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wsbnfm

There are several factors that must be calculated to determine the efficiency and the capability of any heater or furnace. (primary) The temperature outdoors, and the resistance of your insulation to pass through the heat in the room through the walls and/or ceiling, and/or the amount of resistance to restrict the outdoor cold air above the room from transferring into the home. (secondary) Windows and doors. If you see condensation on windows, a great deal of transferable cold is being passed indoors and any present room heat is being transferred outdoors. If you can see daylight around your outside doors, any heater must work harder to maintain a set thermostatic temperature. Also, the amount of air that passes inside electrical switches and sockets also requires any heater to work harder and longer. Next, the infrared heater. 1800 square feet could be met if your room or home is considered above normal with respect to its insulation resistance factor. Fact, quartz rods heat quicker than metal and maintain their heat longer than any other method when air is forced across the quartz heated rods and is into the room. Quartz vs. metal heating elements. 1500 watts to heat a quartz rod is rather quick and may heat 2 to 3 times faster than metal; therefore, the less duration at 1500 watts will equal less energy consumption to maintain the quartz heating element(s) sufficiently hot enough to reach the temperature as set on a unit's thermostat.

dliidlii

quality posts: 33 Private Messages dliidlii
TCayer wrote:TRY one before you spout om nom nom nom! I've used these for two winters now, and saved over $100 a month on my gas bill. LifeSmart's info says "unobstructed area up to" the square footage. In my house, the kitchen, dining and living rooms are all fairly open, so we put it in the dining room, heat all three rooms, and since the thermostat is in the dining room, it keeps the furnace off, saving me money. At night we shut it off and let the furnace heat the upstairs.

My $20 electric heater ( Big Lots) has a fan and a 750 watt low setting and 1500 watt high setting. It works just fine in bedroom or bathroom. My electric bill is higher by about $40 a month in the winter but I keep the gas furnace set at a lower temperature so my gas bill is lower. Gas heat is cheaper everywhere I have been so trying to save money by using electric heaters is not going to work UNLESS you heat less area.

tedfarkas

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tedfarkas
TCayer wrote:Electric didn't go up by much. 1500 watts is like a dollar a day.

No, 1500 Watts is NOT like a dollar a day. Assuming the cost of electricity is 12 cents/kilowatt hour, it would be $129.60 per month if it were on all of the time. Half the time? Do the math.

amantiado

quality posts: 1 Private Messages amantiado

You were doing pretty well up to this point.

[quote postid="5571557" user="wsbnfm"... 1500 watts to heat a quartz rod is rather quick and may heat 2 to 3 times faster than metal; therefore, the less duration at 1500 watts will equal less energy consumption to maintain the quartz heating element(s) sufficiently hot enough to reach the temperature as set on a unit's thermostat.[/quote]

djdtmt

quality posts: 0 Private Messages djdtmt
tedfarkas wrote:No, 1500 Watts is NOT like a dollar a day. Assuming the cost of electricity is 12 cents/kilowatt hour, it would be $129.60 per month if it were on all of the time. Half the time? Do the math.

Here we are on a tiered schedule so electricity for us has costs as high as $0.35/kWh so it is absolutely realistic to see your electric bill skyrocket.

kmrcons

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kmrcons
skerkhoff wrote:It IS 100% efficient. ALL electric heaters are.

Do the tubes glow at all? That's LIGHT--a waste product, not HEAT, so it's not 100% efficient.

jnissel

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jnissel
TCayer wrote:TRY one before you spout om nom nom nom! I've used these for two winters now, and saved over $100 a month on my gas bill. LifeSmart's info says "unobstructed area up to" the square footage. In my house, the kitchen, dining and living rooms are all fairly open, so we put it in the dining room, heat all three rooms, and since the thermostat is in the dining room, it keeps the furnace off, saving me money. At night we shut it off and let the furnace heat the upstairs.

Why not tell us what city/state you are using these heaters?

feliphilia

quality posts: 5 Private Messages feliphilia

My experience with costs,for what it's worth.

I live in southern NH. My house is older but has been fairly well insulated. I have forced hot air heat. Last winter I kept the thermostat at 55 all winter. I used a small electric heater to keep me warm. Started the winter with one that died and finished with another Lifesmart from Woot, smaller than this one.

Interesting that my heater claims to warm 800 sf but is the same 1500 watts as this one. That would be some design advance if you could warm twice the space with the same power. For my purposes I just wanted something reasonably sturdy and hopefully long lasting to sit next to me--many heaters would do.

I generally used the heater about 6 hrs a day. I work full time and didn't leave it on when I wasn't home. My electric bill was $30-40/month higher versus months when I used neither heat nor ac.

I use liquid propane for heat. It's harder to calculate heating costs because it's not metered--the tank is just filled periodically and the elapsed time can span seasons. However my tank was filled in early February and again in early August, and I had used 46 gallons of propane, approx. $160, so it's safe to say my overall heating costs were dramatically reduced.

Obviouusly this isn't a practical solution for many people, but it at least allowed me to get some info on actual costs. I plan to repeat this winter.

Spiky

quality posts: 16 Private Messages Spiky
tedfarkas wrote:The Woot description states that it will heat 1800 square feet. The product video says 1500. I suspect Woot is referring to a house in Honolulu, while the product video may be referencing Key West. You won't need this heater in either of those places. Now who is taking bets that this will heat either 1500 or 1800 in Minneapolis.

I'm in Mpls, and it won't be heating any sf. The marketing tripe about "save utility costs" is pure crap. Natural gas costs like a tenth of what electric would to heat my home.

Perhaps someone above that thinks the opposite hasn't seen a gas furnace from after 1990.

TCayer

quality posts: 9 Private Messages TCayer
luke975 wrote:I have a 1500 watt electric heater. with a fan to blow the heat in my computer/entertainment room it sets about a foot away from me and keeps me warm.

I don't need to pay double for this heater to know it couldn't possibly heat what it says it will.

If I say my ford ranger could go warp 7 would you believe that until you drove it?

Not ALL 1500 watt heaters are the same. I've tried several, and these are the best I've run across.

TCayer

quality posts: 9 Private Messages TCayer
jnissel wrote:Why not tell us what city/state you are using these heaters?

Upstate NY! Fairly cold in the winter, although our last two winters were milder than average.

rpstrong

quality posts: 5 Private Messages rpstrong
kmrcons wrote:Do the tubes glow at all? That's LIGHT--a waste product, not HEAT, so it's not 100% efficient.

The light is converted to heat when it is absorbed by the various surfaces that it hits. Light escaping through a window is, indeed, lost. In fact, that is how radiant heaters work: infrared light hits either people or objects and converts to heat. And exposed windows - even double glazed - will allow the radiant heat to escape.

Woody1

quality posts: 13 Private Messages Woody1
TCayer wrote:Upstate NY! Fairly cold in the winter, although our last two winters were milder than average.

So how much did your electric bill go up?

"The 20.8 cents per kWh New York households paid for electricity in July 2013 was 51.8 percent more
than the nationwide average of 13.7 cents per kWh. Last July, electricity costs were 48.9 percent higher in New York compared to the nation. In the past five years in the month of July, prices paid by New York area consumers for electricity exceeded the U.S. average by 49 to 62 percent. (See chart 2.)"

NY Energy Costs

800+ woots! - Talk to the Square

rpstrong

poorogue wrote:Wait a sec. That's ASSUMING 100% efficiency, which is literally unheard of. There is no way it's 100% efficient, so it will be most likely a little less than 5k btu/hr.

Consider that any time you have less than 100% efficiency, the difference - the waste - resolves to heat. Heat is the universal waste product.

thelotchic

quality posts: 0 Private Messages thelotchic
CharlesP2009 wrote:So wait...since when does Woot sell something before you'll need it? It's not even cold yet.

You get deals when it's not in prime season for it. Duh!

thelotchic

quality posts: 0 Private Messages thelotchic
rpstrong wrote:Consider that any time you have less than 100% efficiency, the difference - the waste - resolves to heat. Heat is the universal waste product.

I don't think there is such thing as 100% efficiency in heating. Not sure but I think that's what I heard from an electrician

rpstrong

thelotchic wrote:I don't think there is such thing as 100% efficiency in heating. Not sure but I think that's what I heard from an electrician

Tis a basic matter of the conservation of energy: energy cannot be created or destroyed. If the heater draws 1500 watts, those watts have to go /somewhere/. Any "waste" (e.g., resistance in the power cord) still ends up as heat.

W9GFO

quality posts: 3 Private Messages W9GFO
thelotchic wrote:I don't think there is such thing as 100% efficiency in heating. Not sure but I think that's what I heard from an electrician

In most devices lack of efficiency is due to the energy being converted to heat instead of useful work. In the case of a heater, we want the heat. All of the energy is converted into heat - except maybe a tiny bit that goes to some LEDs or a fan. Although technically even the fan creates heat due to adding energy to the air - as does the lights since the photons ultimately end up impacting some surface and releasing their energy.

The point is that all 1500 watt electric heaters are effectively equal in efficiency no matter how much money you spend on them.

Heaters that circulate the warmth around more effectively also circulate the heat around to areas that don't need it and areas that will suck the heat away (such as windows). So they may more evenly heat a room but will use more energy doing so since more heat will be escaping.

The only way to save on your energy bill with an electric heater is to lower your house thermostat and use this heater in just one room.

A 1500 watt heater heating a 1500 sq ft room is a ridiculous claim. That is 12,000 cubic feet. Sure, it will technically raise the temperature but do not expect it to keep you toasty in any room larger than about 150 sq ft.

Most people would be better off spending some money on sealing up drafts and other sources of heat loss.

rxtech49

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rxtech49

Is refreshing to read honest, knowledgeable comments about infrared heaters.

dliidlii

quality posts: 33 Private Messages dliidlii

This one looks better but
also will not produce anymore heat than other 1500 watt heaters. Also, it only has one remote control included.
http://www.vminnovations.com/Product_47331/LifeSmart-1500W-6-Element-Electric-Infrared-Heater-L-HOM6-NS12.html?rd=gpf_47331

VM Innovations offers the LifeSmart 1,500-watt Infrared Heater, model no. L-HOM6-NS12, for $111.99 with free shipping. That's $3 under our February mention and the best price we've seen for this heater. (It's a current price low by $16.) It features six industrial copper-coated heating elements, oak cabinet, digital thermostat, and more. It can heat up to 1,800 square feet.

hobbitus

quality posts: 1 Private Messages hobbitus
nic walker wrote:[Good Morning Folks,,,

Does anyone know if this heater has a "tip over function" please?

Or any safety function for that matter???

Thanks,

Nic

ya didn't read the description?...it says it does.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 563 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

Good evening all. Just wanted to let you know that we've confirmed that the heater is rated to heat 1800 sq ft as stated.

FORUM MODERATOR.............ON VACATION!
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

Harpo

quality posts: 4 Private Messages Harpo
stevef2222 wrote:step one: add more insulation

step two: get a wood burning stove

step three: forget the electric heater, get an electric blanket;-)

Step 4.. I close the place up and spend the winters in Tampa Bay.

W9GFO

quality posts: 3 Private Messages W9GFO
ThunderThighs wrote:Good evening all. Just wanted to let you know that we've confirmed that the heater is rated to heat 1800 sq ft as stated.

Rated by who? The manufacturer who needs to convince people that their 1500 watt heater is better than some other brand that makes a more reasonable claim?

The DeLonghi DCH1030 (Amazon) is a 1500 watt heater that puts out the same amount of heat yet is rated for only 55 sq ft! It is $33. Others are even cheaper but do not make square footage claims.

luke975

quality posts: 13 Private Messages luke975
TCayer wrote:All measurements are in square feet. It takes into account the 3rd dimension. I doubt they;re implying this only heats a one-foot high plane of a 30x50 foot space.

ok you seem to be the person who knows the most about these. you're telling me that one 1500 watt heater can heat a 30x50 foot space?
and how high can the ceiling be in that space? heat rises you know, so that matters (at least in reality). sorry I don't care who certified this heater to do that it's not possible. for the space this thing says it will heat you'd be better off with one of these.

http://tools.woot.com/offers/fire-sense-46-000-btu-patio-heater-black

I always did like yardsales.

luke975

quality posts: 13 Private Messages luke975
nivram wrote:Geez, at least with the overpriced Amish magical heaters, you get a nice wooden box surrounding your $30 heater!

my wife saw those in the paper. being delivered by horse and buggy.

I always did like yardsales.

billyjoebob007

quality posts: 0 Private Messages billyjoebob007
CharlesP2009 wrote:So wait...since when does Woot sell something before you'll need it? It's not even cold yet.

To help get ya prepped for winter wonderland DooM ! Which is just around the corner. Best to have it before hand, than to suffer at the last moment cause ya dont have it.

billyjoebob007

quality posts: 0 Private Messages billyjoebob007
stevef2222 wrote:step one: add more insulation

step two: get a wood burning stove

step three: forget the electric heater, get an electric blanket;-)

+1 on the blankie