id6klub


quality posts: 3 Private Messages id6klub
patnugent wrote:Everything that doesn't require hardware changes is also applicable to the white box, this includes upcoming MP-4 downloads via web for sideloading, direct tablet downloads on Android/iOS (with new clients), Chromecast support, etc.

And the lifetime premier subscription included with this purchase is also applicable to future models (you'll be able to add more than one Simple.TV to an account later this year and the subscription will apply to all of them)



"MP4 downloads" meaning the ability to PULL recorded content FROM the box to view offline? Or did you mean uploads...like PUSHING media TO the box to allow the user to play/stream/store their own content? I would be in favor of the former more than the latter. It would be great to pull recorded content from my hotel room and watch it on the plane on my way back home from a trip versus having to come home and catch up when I get there.

patnugent


quality posts: 1 Private Messages patnugent
id6klub wrote:"MP4 downloads" meaning the ability to PULL recorded content FROM the box to view offline? Or did you mean uploads...like PUSHING media TO the box to allow the user to play/stream/store their own content? I would be in favor of the former more than the latter. It would be great to pull recorded content from my hotel room and watch it on the plane on my way back home from a trip versus having to come home and catch up when I get there.



The former.

One of the cool things Simple.TV does when it records your shows is record it already prepared for streaming by keeping 3 separate quality streams. When you watch at home or on a high-bandwidth connection you'll get HD or the highest quality. One lower speed connections it'll drop down to one of the lower ones.

From the web you'll be able to choose one of the three quality streams and download as an mpeg-4 (h.264) file that you can watch, archive, or sync with whatever your heart desires.

Please keep in mind this screenshot is just a very basic and early implementation, not the final look/feel/behavior of this feature. ;)

chipgreen


quality posts: 184 Private Messages chipgreen
theinfamousj wrote:I was initially very intrigued, until I realized that I have a VCR lying around that does what this does without need of Internet or an external hard drive.


Were you also intrigued by the automobile until you realized that a horse and buggy does what it does without the need for gasoline or oil changes?

patnugent


quality posts: 1 Private Messages patnugent
EddieAngel333 wrote:going to send it now Pat !
Thanks



Sent you a PM on woot with my email again since I haven't seen yours come across!

patnugent


quality posts: 1 Private Messages patnugent
id6klub wrote:Remote viewing of LIVE TV as well as recordings? My assumption is recordings but would hope Live TV as well.



Correct, both live and recorded.

id6klub


quality posts: 3 Private Messages id6klub
chipgreen wrote:Were you also intrigued by the automobile until you realized that a horse and buggy does what it does without the need for gasoline or oil changes?



I think the upkeep for and price of a horse > a cheap car.

You have the right idea though.

id6klub


quality posts: 3 Private Messages id6klub
patnugent wrote:The former.

One of the cool things Simple.TV does when it records your shows is record it already prepared for streaming by keeping 3 separate quality streams. When you watch at home or on a high-bandwidth connection you'll get HD or the highest quality. One lower speed connections it'll drop down to one of the lower ones.

From the web you'll be able to choose one of the three quality streams and download as an mpeg-4 (h.264) file that you can watch, archive, or sync with whatever your heart desires.



Here's to hoping that that performance keeps up with the GUI...if so, it will be a winner for me. My only reservation is latency displayed in the video review that showed the real world performance of the device. I have a quite robust network setup, so I am hoping that 90% of the lag he experience was, somehow, isolated and network-related. If not, it would be a pain to pull content from the device either remotely or locally.

bolintb


quality posts: 0 Private Messages bolintb

Hi. Here is my setup: OTA only with a WII for netflix. I have a PC in the office and a wifi network. We are currently using an old VCR with "digital converter box". We want to record and then watch on the normal TV.

I would love to get a subscription-less DVR that I could use in the place of the VCR/Digital Converter. We mainly just want to record about 2 hours of shows that we could watch on a different night. Is this the <$200 solution?

Any other suggestions?

jeffandmonica


quality posts: 6 Private Messages jeffandmonica
EddieAngel333 wrote:WARNING BEWARE I PURCHASED THIS AT THE LAST WOOT OFF AND IT HAS YET TO SHIP ! NO TRACKING NUMBER NOTHING !
I WAS JUST TOLD TO SIT TIGHT !
WHAT A LOAD OF CRAP !
HAS ANYONE ELSE NOT RECEIVED THEIRS YET ?
STUFF I BOUGHT AFTER THE WOOT OFF HAS ALREADY SHIPPED !
BOUGHT ON SEPTEMBER 26 !
YOU HAVE BALLS PUTTING IT UP FOR SALE WHEN YOU CANT EVEN FILL ORDERS FROM LAST MONTH !
IF YOU DON'T HAVE THEM DON'T SELL THEM !



Ditto. What gives Woot?

mickeypink


quality posts: 0 Private Messages mickeypink

Don't hit me, please...I'm a techno-newbie. Does this work with Apple TV, by chance?

nathanrudy


quality posts: 0 Private Messages nathanrudy

I bought one during the last Woot Off, and should have checked the information closer since it doesn't work with Verizon FIOS. Ooops. So be sure to check if it works with your TV system.

Oh, and mine hasn't arrived yet, either. Can I cancel it?

casey00001


quality posts: 14 Private Messages casey00001

Why pay a subscription fee for Over the Air TV? You could just get a Magnavox DVR from Walmart and set the timer. Three different drive sizes, 320gb,500gb, 1TB. Starts about $238.00 no fees

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Magnavox-HDD-DVR-and-DVD-Recorder-with-Digital-Tuner-320GB/20710260?action=product_interest&action_type=title&placement_id=irs_middle&strategy=PWVUB&visitor_id=25222198285&category=0%3A3944%3A1060825%3A95987&client_guid=d859135a-2910-4609-8d5f-5b3237ec46fc&customer_id_enc=112b0c545a59cdc02a4d6cbfe89a5b5f&config_id=2&parent_item_id=20710258&guid=770f0563-21e7-42a4-a539-273a80846d56&bucket_id=000&findingMethod=p13n

Tyross


quality posts: 1 Private Messages Tyross
nathanrudy wrote:I bought one during the last Woot Off, and should have checked the information closer since it doesn't work with Verizon FIOS. Ooops. So be sure to check if it works with your TV system.

Oh, and mine hasn't arrived yet, either. Can I cancel it?



I used to be on FIOS, but then I moved and the service isn't offered here. If I had known, I probably wouldn't have moved. Comcast is the worst company ever. They fleece you up and down and control every move you make like a prison camp. Everything is better and faster on FIOS. The TV is 1000 times better and the picture qulity on FIOS TV makes Comcast HD look like an Atari 2600.

Anyway, if you are on FIOS get yourself a Belkin @TV or a Vulkano unit. It will do everything you are looking for *record tv, stream to Apple/Andriod with ease. You can completely control your set top box remotely. It's awesome. There are no fees ever of any kind and they don't require a credit card, nothing. Awesome. If you try to use your Belkin/Vulkano on Comcast your experience will be far less enjoyable. Comcast are wh0res about you doing anything without paying them for worse service.

friedlyd


quality posts: 0 Private Messages friedlyd

How big of a hard drive will I need?

ultrawolf


quality posts: 7 Private Messages ultrawolf
bolintb wrote:Hi. Here is my setup: OTA only with a WII for netflix. I have a PC in the office and a wifi network. We are currently using an old VCR with "digital converter box". We want to record and then watch on the normal TV.

I would love to get a subscription-less DVR that I could use in the place of the VCR/Digital Converter. We mainly just want to record about 2 hours of shows that we could watch on a different night. Is this the <$200 solution?

Any other suggestions?



An alternative is a Homeworx HW-150PVR or similar iView 3500STB. These are tuner boxes that get OTA/antenna and Clear QAM/cable, have HDMI output and and can pause/record using an external USB hard drive. They record in nice, crisp HD - the picture looks as good as my HD Tivo. These are standalone boxes - no PC, no Roku, no network. And they're only around $50 (I got my Homeworx for $38).

But they're not perfect. Read the dedicated forums for each on www.avsforum.com. Both have possible issues getting a correct time signal for scheduled recording. The Homeworx only supports QAM using beta firmware. The iView comes with a terrible remote, although an improved model just came out. Both have clunky user interfaces. Both miss recordings sometimes. But for the money they give you a lot of functionality if you don't mind the quirks.

Here are the forums about these:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1482341/homeworx-hw-150pvr-support-and-discussion/300

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1465875/iview-3500stb-tuner-dvr-owners-thread/1830

Amazon sells these, so you wouldn't be a Woot traitor if you buy one there.

ultrawolf

sghadiry


quality posts: 0 Private Messages sghadiry

I have direct tv now, and all the movie channels, like Hugo showtime, etc....
I have 2 questions, can I hook direct tv line up to it, instead of cable.?
My second question is how many channels do you actually get using this, are movie channels part of channels?

designlucas


quality posts: 1 Private Messages designlucas
roseangelo wrote:Ok, I've never had a DVR in my life and although I am generally tech-savvy, when it comes to these things I am completely clueless.

I don't have cable, just an OTA antenna. I have no desire to watch TV on my iPad or iPhone. BUT, it would be nice to be able to pause TV and/or occasionally record things. This seems like a good deal for my needs - is there any reason why I shouldn't buy this?



I have one of these and 3 Roku's in my house. The Simple TV App on Roku works flawlessly!

aron1231


quality posts: 1 Private Messages aron1231
kilomon wrote:Check with your cable provider if they are going to start encrypting basic cable channels. Comcast and MediaCom started this last week in my area which means Clear QAM is no longer an option. I'm still able to use my antenna however.



This is actually a really big problem (especially for me). Our area has Charter and they also started scrambling all basic cable channels that aren't Shopping Channels or religious in nature. Essentially, Clear QAM is dead due to legislation changes that allow cable companies to scramble stations such as the local broadcast networks. Since the digital switch-over I can no longer get OTA antenna signals without a 40' antenna (live in rural area), so this product is essentially useless to me.

Just be wary about the "Clear QAM" claim... may have been true and valuable in the past, but with recent changes it is rendered useless. Don't buy it based on that advertisement alone - that's likely why the selling price has dropped so dramatically.

simpleatl


quality posts: 0 Private Messages simpleatl

No you cant' hook it up to your DirecTV. You can hook it up to your cable connection or buy an antenna and capture free to air broadcast channels. Go to this site and type in your zip code and you can see how many channels you will receive. http://www.gomohu.com/

sghadiry wrote:I have direct tv now, and all the movie channels, like Hugo showtime, etc....
I have 2 questions, can I hook direct tv line up to it, instead of cable.?
My second question is how many channels do you actually get using this, are movie channels part of channels?



jgalley7


quality posts: 0 Private Messages jgalley7

what do I all need for this to stream to a tv?
I have an iPad but will that only record so that I can view shows on the IPad? I want to be able to stream to a tv but I don't want to buy a roko.

renekane


quality posts: 0 Private Messages renekane

Pretend you're talking to a 5 year old.

OK, I left my tv with my ex. I am currently only using a mac to watch shows available on the internet. My internet connection is shared throughout my building.

I don't subscribe to cable currently.

Is simple.tv useful to me at all under these circumstances?

What else would I need to utilize cable tv on my mac with this device?

-RK

simpleatl


quality posts: 0 Private Messages simpleatl

The short answer is yes. You would need to buy an antenna ( to receive free to air broadcast tv) and a hard drive (to record) from your local electronics store and you are good to go.

renekane wrote:Pretend you're talking to a 5 year old.

OK, I left my tv with my ex. I am currently only using a mac to watch shows available on the internet. My internet connection is shared throughout my building.

I don't subscribe to cable currently.

Is simple.tv useful to me at all under these circumstances?

What else would I need to utilize cable tv on my mac with this device?

-RK



RaisinROM


quality posts: 10 Private Messages RaisinROM

Does this have ANY internal hard drive space, or do I HAVE to hook up an external if I was to record ?

Dazzle DVD, Tornado USB, No Crank Hose Reel, SCREAMING Monkey, Woot Off Lights, Solar Panel, Ion USB Turntable, Power Squid, Sansa, Slacker, Ed Hardy RC Plane, EzyFlare, iPod, hammer, tv, A N D . . . my FIRST Bag of Coal !!!!!!!!!!! After that: Little Giant ladder, large button remotes for dad, Dremel Multi-Max tool, Vornado Fan, Emerson Timer, Oliso Iron, EZY Flares, LED Safety Triangle, Dyson DC21, Screaming Monkeys, Mini CamCorder

ncstrev


quality posts: 1 Private Messages ncstrev
id6klub wrote:Theoretically, if you have a friend or family member (or a place of your own) back in the state where the team is located, you could purchase this and have THEM install and set this up at their house with their web & rabbit ears (local broadcast of that team weekly unless they are on NFL Network TNF or ESPN MNF that week) and then you can tap into it to view the content from wherever. I am not sure about live video remotely, but, hey, it is a starting thought lol.



This is exactly what I did with the last one I bought. When visiting the relatives, we use Roku to watch on their spare TV. When elsewhere, we can stream live TV or recording to a browser or iPad. I would not use it as my primary DVR device, but it works very well in this scenario.

radi0j0hn


quality posts: 95 Private Messages radi0j0hn
theinfamousj wrote:I was initially very intrigued, until I realized that I have a VCR lying around that does what this does without need of Internet or an external hard drive. I can watch playback without fear of packet loss due to WiFi, and since I know how to program my VCR then I can record more than just live TV.

If you have a thrift store in your area, I recommend checking out the old technology that does just what this does (down to the lack of HDMI port). I got my VCR for $5. That is an $95 savings over this small white box of a video recorder.



Waaaaaay to logical for Wooters! But a good point: How long do you intend to keep the recording? If it is watch and erase, then a VCR is fine.

Try to find a decent brand used one...and expect that the clods who donated did not tape a remote on it.

My local thrift store sells 20 (old, used) VHS movies for $5!

acpress.com Not cute, but useful.

ncstrev


quality posts: 1 Private Messages ncstrev
RaisinROM wrote:Does this have ANY internal hard drive space, or do I HAVE to hook up an external if I was to record ?



No internal storage. You must connect an external HDD. I used an old 750GB portable external from a Target clearance sale. The SimpleTV will power a small portable external HDD through USB.

mhutton


quality posts: 0 Private Messages mhutton
aftab7000 wrote:After purchase from woot, how do we get the activation code for the lifetime subscription ? i.e. from woot or from simple.tv ?



The lifetime activation code comes from Simple.tv. It's located on the front page of the set up guide

simpleatl


quality posts: 0 Private Messages simpleatl

It does not have internal storage, so you need buy a USB external hard drive or use a spare drive you may have lying around.

RaisinROM wrote:Does this have ANY internal hard drive space, or do I HAVE to hook up an external if I was to record ?



mhutton


quality posts: 0 Private Messages mhutton
roseangelo wrote:Ok, next question. To be able to actually use this with my TV, I also need a Roku? I've read up on this before and I always got so confused about how it works.



No, you don't need Roku unless you want to stream media from Netflix or other streaming media providers. It's a nice feature to have but not necessary for basic use of Simple.tv

RaisinROM


quality posts: 10 Private Messages RaisinROM
ncstrev wrote:No internal storage. You must connect an external HDD. I used an old 750GB portable external from a Target clearance sale. The SimpleTV will power a small portable external HDD through USB.



Thank You !

Dazzle DVD, Tornado USB, No Crank Hose Reel, SCREAMING Monkey, Woot Off Lights, Solar Panel, Ion USB Turntable, Power Squid, Sansa, Slacker, Ed Hardy RC Plane, EzyFlare, iPod, hammer, tv, A N D . . . my FIRST Bag of Coal !!!!!!!!!!! After that: Little Giant ladder, large button remotes for dad, Dremel Multi-Max tool, Vornado Fan, Emerson Timer, Oliso Iron, EZY Flares, LED Safety Triangle, Dyson DC21, Screaming Monkeys, Mini CamCorder

mhutton


quality posts: 0 Private Messages mhutton
mikeeyram wrote:So if I have a NAS (Netgear ReadyNAS 314) will this work?


Simple.tv stated on their website in September 2012 that they did not presently support NAS but may in the future. http://support.simple.tv/customer/portal/articles/693059-what-kind-of-hard-drives-are-supported-

jgalley7


quality posts: 0 Private Messages jgalley7
mhutton wrote:No, you don't need Roku unless you want to stream media from Netflix or other streaming media providers. It's a nice feature to have but not necessary for basic use of Simple.tv



I want to use this as a dvr. I have basic cable, will this allow me to stream to a tv without the roko? Sorry, just a bit confused here.

bolintb


quality posts: 0 Private Messages bolintb

Thanks. I will look at them.

simpleatl


quality posts: 0 Private Messages simpleatl

No. Simple.TV does not have a "TV out" connection. The addition of a Roku box will allow you watch Over the Air TV from the SimpleTV box on your TV.

jgalley7 wrote:I want to use this as a dvr. I have basic cable, will this allow me to stream to a tv without the roko? Sorry, just a bit confused here.



bjwca


quality posts: 3 Private Messages bjwca

Is there a monthly subscription fee to Simple.TV for this? If so, how much and why?

What service is Simple.TV providing that would warrant a subscription fee? I'm using a free over-the-air TV signal, and my own home network... what am I missing?

mhutton


quality posts: 0 Private Messages mhutton

I purchased Simple.tv at the end of August (it was $50 more then, thanks Woot )

Setting it up is a bit tricky. They don't support IE so I used Firefox to no avail. Then tried Chrome and set up was a breeze. I have a wireless router so had to figure out incorporating that into the set up. Not a big deal but Simple.tv should reference that in the set up and they don't. I subscribe to Charter Communications and didn't have the issues mentioned regarding Comcast. I purchased a Buffalo 1TB HD and it worked fine. Smart.tv formats the hard drive so you will lose anything stored on it. I used a new one.

What I get to watch are local broadcast stations back home in MA, there was an issue in getting the channel guides that was tricky but the Simple.tv website has FAQ's on how to do this. I bought this to watch NFL football broadcasts for the NE Patriots while living in TN.

Simple.tv is a web application. You connect to their website and configure the shows you want to watch and yes, you can watch live, record them, or both. I launch simple.tv on my laptop and connect it to my TV via HDMI and watch it on the big screen. Works great so far. This is really a cool app. I don't use Roku in my configuration because I already have streaming app's through my Smart TV and Blu Ray player. Sorry for the long message. Hope this helps.

simpleatl


quality posts: 0 Private Messages simpleatl

Yes. You can hook up your Simple.TV to AppleTV and have the best of both worlds...live TV with DVR capabilities and access to AppleTV shows and movies.

mickeypink wrote:Don't hit me, please...I'm a techno-newbie. Does this work with Apple TV, by chance?



stvy


quality posts: 0 Private Messages stvy
roseangelo wrote:Ok, I've never had a DVR in my life and although I am generally tech-savvy, when it comes to these things I am completely clueless.

I don't have cable, just an OTA antenna. I have no desire to watch TV on my iPad or iPhone. BUT, it would be nice to be able to pause TV and/or occasionally record things. This seems like a good deal for my needs - is there any reason why I shouldn't buy this?



You are the perfect profile for this product. If you have an OTA source already, you're pretty much there. And the best part is that you don't have to be tied to the guide any longer. Just set your recordings and enjoy.

stvy


quality posts: 0 Private Messages stvy
jkmahan wrote:These don't support CableCards so it isn't very useful for Comcast customers.



That's correct. Currently the product support and was designed for Over-The-Air HDTV signal sources. Unfortunately most cable today is encrypted by the provider and does require a proprietary device to decrypt the content.

stvy


quality posts: 0 Private Messages stvy
bjwca wrote:Is there a monthly subscription fee to Simple.TV for this? If so, how much and why?

What service is Simple.TV providing that would warrant a subscription fee? I'm using a free over-the-air TV signal, and my own home network... what am I missing?



This current version is bundled with a Lifetime subscription - no renewal needed.