mrose5

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mrose5

[quote postid="5578243" user="acanarelli"]You wrote,"For those worrying about the router, keep in mind this is not intended to replace (or even compete with) a full size router." Oh thanks, you put my mind at ease...but where does it say that? Where does it say that it's not intended to replace or even compete with a full size router.

It says right in the description:

"Powerful performance for most trimming, small edge forming, decorative woodworking, and hinge routing"

This indicates "small" jobs which implies that this would not compete with a full size router.

It doesn't come right out and say the words but it seems to get pretty descriptive on what they think the uses of this tool are.

Also by the fact that you yourself posted earlier your doubts about an 800rpm router even comparing to your other routers makes me think that you already know this. It also makes me wonder why you are attacking a poster that was kind enough to share some experienced thoughts.

By the way, I know it doesn't say it on the box but this does not make a very good hair dryer.

Lazycamper

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Lazycamper

I got this drill/combo kit for xmas last year. I don't have these specific attachments - I have the circular saw, multi-tool, and sander. The drill/driver is very good for household use. Plenty of power for a cordless and this is a good deal just for that.

I must confess I don't use the other attachments too often. The saw is only good for trim - it is too small to use for anything else, and the multitool is a little awkward to use - but I have used them both in a pinch and it is nice to be able to switch the tools out. I'd like to be able to get more of the attachments (like this router and impact driver) but they go for about $50 each and I'm not sure they're worth it. The battery is good till the last drop, but dies without warning - that is the nature of the lithium ion batteries - so it's a good idea to have a 2nd one handy.

All in all this is a pretty nice tool to have around the house.

steves10

quality posts: 1 Private Messages steves10
acanarelli wrote:You're quoting specs from a battery operated unit. The one we are talking about here today is NOT battery operated but corded.

Whoopsie-daisy! The one WE are talking about here today (at this location and temporal sphere) is battery operated, except for the charger, which is surprisingly AC line powered, as opposed to dilithium crystal powered, as any decent charger should be.

Battery operated, battery operated, batt...

ozzallos

quality posts: 5 Private Messages ozzallos

Was in the market for this product 6mo ago and they were hard a heck to source. Stores seemed to indicate they were discontinuing the line, which in turn causes concerns for further attachments and support.

And as a few other people mentioned, B&D products are entry level at best these days and almost guaranteed to failure sooner than the competition.

LostJulyMusic

quality posts: 3 Private Messages LostJulyMusic
acanarelli wrote:You're quoting specs from a battery operated unit. The one we are talking about here today is NOT battery operated but corded.

You couldn't be more wrong. You could try, but you would not be successful.

willnott

quality posts: 0 Private Messages willnott
conanthelibrarian wrote:Let's check out the product page for the router attachment

Yah - max speed with 20V is 9000 - not nearly fast enough to do a decent job of routing (can you say "chatter marks all along the rout?).... Is this what happens when the product ideas come from outsourced teams in India??? Must pass on this drain bammaged concept.

Costner

quality posts: 27 Private Messages Costner
acanarelli wrote:Oh thanks, you put my mind at ease...but where does it say that? Where does it say that it's not intended to replace or even compete with a full size router.

It doesn't say that - but it is a known difference. I don't expect them to highlight the areas their product doesn't excel at nor do I expect them to say you should buy a different product if you need to perform specific tasks... because their goal is to sell as many of these as they can.

However anyone who has used a real router will tell you that for many jobs you need a lot of power - this is why battery operated routers are typically of the handheld, laminate trimmer variety. "Real" routers are primarily corded because they need larger motors and more current than batteries can easily provide.

That said, for quick jobs like routing recesses on door frames indoors... and small cordless router might be handy. I just think people who look at this need to be aware that the term "router" can and does mean a few different things.

Heck - the baseplate size alone is more than enough to convince me this isn't mean for serious use.

acanarelli

quality posts: 270 Private Messages acanarelli

Oops, made a mistake. Drill IS battery operated...not corded.
Sorry about that!

hastey001

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hastey001

Just purchased this exact drill at Walmart, came with LED light for $69.95, that's their retail. The drill and light works fine for light to medium duty work, great for the home. 20V provides plenty of power. Not sure how the router performs. I'm thinking if you need a router than buy a router. At 79.99 this is still a good deal but again do need a router? A portable LED light for me is the better deal from Walmart.

extremusmaximus

quality posts: 14 Private Messages extremusmaximus
darks1lenc3 wrote:Bought this drill (not the impact wrench combo) from Home Depot earlier this year to help with construction on my college senior engineering design project because we kept getting tied down with the corded drill (pun intended haha). I believe I paid $59.99 +tax for it.

The battery lasted about 3 days with heavy usage, it probably lasts longer with moderate/occasional usage. Doesn't take too long to charge either. The torque setting is great so you don't strip screws. The drill will also just stop when the battery is too low, it doesn't slow down before finally stopping, so you don't really get a warning before it's going to stop working and you have to charge it.

I've used the Ryobi ONE+ system in the past as well during high school and I think this B&D Matrix system is awesome, and just as good, if not better. I plan on getting some of the other attachments as well (jigsaw, circular saw, sander) sometime in the future.

When you say that the battery lasted 3 days, does that mean it died altogether or just needed recharging after 3 days of use?

pflieger

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pflieger
mattryan wrote:They have just fallen from where they used to be.

If you want quality, go with Ryobi.

I was just asking myself why B&D had gone so far down in quality when I read the Sunday ads.

It's really too bad that Ryobi (what kind of name is that?) is better in terms of quality.

Plus, the thought of using this thing as a router is laughable.

pflieger

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pflieger
RogerB wrote:I am going to have to disagree with the coffee maker. I have a B&D Brew and Go. Bought a second for work. Very nice little coffee maker that simply turns itself off when done. I've given up on Mr. Coffee coffee makers. The ones with the timers get in a mode will they will no longer turn on, period. Sorry for hijacking the tread.

Doubtful it's the same company. It seems the B&D brand name is used by a lot of companies.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spectrum_Brands

darks1lenc3

quality posts: 4 Private Messages darks1lenc3
extremusmaximus wrote:When you say that the battery lasted 3 days, does that mean it died altogether or just needed recharging after 3 days of use?

It needed recharging, it didn't completely quit out. sorry if that wasn't clear. haha

backpack of crap 12/20/13
bag of crap 2/17/14
Birthday of Celebrations 7/11/14

daneyuleb

quality posts: 3 Private Messages daneyuleb
RogerB wrote:I am going to have to disagree with the coffee maker.

We had the OLD B&D under the counter coffee maker for years and years. Wonderful. Finally died and we got the the new version. NIGHTMARE. Terrible mounting. Terrible controls. Had a tendency to dump coffee all over the counter. Or the Christmas presents we stupidly place there one morning. Not even the same species as the original. Returned it, got a second one--just as bad. Finally ended up getting the old (pre-B&D getting in bed with Satan version) from EBAY and it worked fine.

And that's just one of many products they produce that had similar results.

If it's Orange and Black, put it back. Seriously.

HATE HATE HATE B&D.

3toe

quality posts: 0 Private Messages 3toe

B&D products have always been good to me. I've had the Ryobi plus chargers and I wouldn't buy one again. Have had problems with batteries holding a charge and chargers even working. Were I to go cordless again, I'd consider the B&D. Otherwise, like others, I would stick to corded power tools for projects such as a router.

cainunable

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cainunable

Anyone else get theirs yet? I'm a little confused. I got a small box with only the router attachment.

Edit: Just got a second woot tracking number, this time from UPS. Guess at least some of the stuff is shipping separately.

sloppo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sloppo

I just got mine, it all came in one package. Unfortunately I got 2 Impact Drivers and 0 Drills. Black & Decker, you crazy.

If anybody out there got 2 Drills and 0 Impact Drivers... hi!

ROGETRAY

quality posts: 177 Private Messages ROGETRAY

Staff

sloppo wrote:I just got mine, it all came in one package. Unfortunately I got 2 Impact Drivers and 0 Drills. Black & Decker, you crazy.

If anybody out there got 2 Drills and 0 Impact Drivers... hi!

Sorry to hear that you didn't receive certain parts of your order.
Please email into Woot Member Services at support@woot.com and let them know.

westleyjohnston1983

quality posts: 0 Private Messages westleyjohnston1983

I bought this and didn't get the router attachment or the double ended bit tip. Anyone else have this problem?

Intently

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Intently
westleyjohnston1983 wrote:I bought this and didn't get the router attachment or the double ended bit tip. Anyone else have this problem?

I received the drill and impact driver in a single box, but no router. I've emailed Woot customer support but haven't received a response yet. If they're shipping separately that's fine, but I only received one tracking number.

sloppo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sloppo

Update on my problem from earlier... woot customer service owns. They sent me a replacement and told me I could keep the original.