nastyducky

quality posts: 8 Private Messages nastyducky

This is a joke, right?

lucashenry72

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lucashenry72
nastyducky wrote:This is a joke, right?

no...apparently the 10 hours of sitting we do each day at our desk and commute is bad for us...imagine that????

Pufferfishy

quality posts: 38 Private Messages Pufferfishy

Take a $250 treadmill, add a $160 standing workstation - and you've got a THOUSAND DOLLAR BARGAIN!

You've been put on posting probation for this post

firebirdude

quality posts: 19 Private Messages firebirdude

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA! You've got to be kidding me...

cjtjspratt

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cjtjspratt

where do you put the CPU?

homerec130

quality posts: 0 Private Messages homerec130

Worked for a company that actually tried several of these. They gave up on the idea after talking to legal and finding out any injuries from using it would be covered under workman's comp. And, because of them, their insurance sky rocketed.

masonustin

quality posts: 0 Private Messages masonustin
homerec130 wrote:Worked for a company that actually tried several of these. They gave up on the idea after talking to legal and finding out any injuries from using it would be covered under workman's comp. And, because of them, their insurance sky rocketed.

good thing your companies insurance rates did not sky rocket due to issues from overweight employees...also, from what i read, you walk 1 to 2 mph which is slower than the speed I would walk down the hall to the bathroom...

InFrom

quality posts: 31 Private Messages InFrom

I've been wishing I could have one of these at the office ever since I read Susan Orlean's story in The New Yorker a few months ago. (This link is to the preview -- unfortunately you have to be a subscriber to see the whole thing.) She's only slightly competitive about how many steps she gets in every day.

callorkslinorna

quality posts: 0 Private Messages callorkslinorna

I have one and I love it. Instead of sitting hours each day you just walk real slow. Takes a little practice to be able to type, but it's OK after a while. My waist has gone down several inches in the 5 months I've used this. Way, way healthier than sitting and not at all athletic unless you want that.

betsys

quality posts: 2 Private Messages betsys

I've been wanting one of these for a while. Just snagged it! Here's a video from John Green, Author and "vlogger" showing this exact desk http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqSH9ffjmg8

catfoody

quality posts: 0 Private Messages catfoody

Rockin deal! My wife has been wanting this very machine; to get it for $500 less than retail kicks butt. Thanks Woot!

(and just to get me a little something pretty, I got the Hoisted By My Own Picard shirt)

danielm

quality posts: 2 Private Messages danielm

How does one concentrate on the details on the screen when the eyes go bobbing and down from walking? It's not like looking at a cell phone screen for a few seconds which you're adjusting to your movement; you're moving your head up and down while the screen is stationary. Has anyone had a problem with this?

njitman

quality posts: 1 Private Messages njitman
wisenekt wrote:It plays into the whole idea that you will be walking on the treadmill while working at your desk. I have always thought this idea would never really work, people calling would hear huffing and puffing and your ability to type quickly and effectively would be greatly diminished.

I guess though a business could always give this treadmill/desk to a person that they want to quit.

I saw an article about various fitness things you can do while working, the treadmill desk was included. The conclusion of the article/author was that you cannot do two things at the same time very well. In fact, typing skills went in the toilet, both speed and accuracy. Maybe if you really don't do productive work, this would help.

The same article had people sitting on stability balls in place of a chair. They quoted one guy as saying he has only fell a few times. DUH!!!

Set aside time and workout. Then you could have those chocolates and really enjoy them. Enough said.

jonow

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jonow

I like how in the picture you have this guy running on his treadmill, but also typing and looking at a screen connected to nothing.

Will this work with my 2 foot tall computer that is unsteady and falls over easily?

Tygerdave

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Tygerdave

I was looking into one of these but it's not in the budget at the moment. For those of you thinking that you can't be as productive you're partially right, I threw together a website with a summary of and some links to productivity research:
http://exercisedesk.net/treadmill-desk-products.php

amantiado

quality posts: 1 Private Messages amantiado

Soon to be seen on the TWiT network.

damorere

quality posts: 9 Private Messages damorere
jonow wrote:I like how in the picture you have this guy running on his treadmill, but also typing and looking at a screen connected to nothing.

Will this work with my 2 foot tall computer that is unsteady and falls over easily?

First, this treadmill is NOT intended for running - I have a separate treadmill for that. This is for walking - and primarily rather slow walking, although I rarely go below 2 mph. More often 2.5 - 3.5 mph (mousing & typing are challenging at the upper end, but it's fine for reading - I'm typing this @ 3mph). Second, if your CPU falls over easily, stabilize it. sheesh! It will fit on the desktop, which is very stable, with almost no vibration even at higher speeds. It is welded steel construction.

I bought mine because I prefer to work standing or walking. I sometimes get over 30,000 steps in while writing, grading papers and reviewing dissertations, reading/responding to email, etc. It sure beats 6-8 hours of sitting on my @$$. I do sometimes take standing breaks - especially if I am struggling to understand something I am reading (sometimes a student's fault, sometimes mine), but I find this helps me think creatively and integratively - and I don't have those groggy periods mid afternoon that often happen while sitting. Regardless, the research on the negative health impacts of extended sitting are quite clear and while I do work some sitting down, I like this enough that I am buying one to use at work (instead of the standing desk I have rigged up) to complement the one I have at home even though it is over budget.

pixelpusher220

quality posts: 5 Private Messages pixelpusher220
MaxAwesome wrote:IKEA sells a desk called the Jerker

IKEA discontinued the Jerker a couple years ago, and then also discontinued the sub-standard replacement for it. I don't believe IKEA sells *any* standing desks anymore unfortunately.

bobothn

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bobothn

My work has a bunch of these and they break a lot but that might be because they are being used 15 hours a day. Lots of people use them and like them when they are working though. As people have said you cant run on these they are just for walking a little while working.

Total # of woots 69
Total $ blown on shipping $345
Total # of Items 143
Average Item Cost $9.47

sdmcfarland

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sdmcfarland

This was invented by a Doctor at the Mayo Clinic where I work. I love it I walk all day at work and I think all those desk people should too. But I have yet to see anyone using this at the Mayo Clinic as a work desk.

Burning-Chrome

quality posts: 4 Private Messages Burning-Chrome
ericshmerick wrote:So, what we have here is a $500 shipping charge on top of a $100 junk treadmill. Also, where's the computer in the main photo? It's a mystery.

Balance is sweet, sweet Woot profitJust buy the cheapest treadmill you can find (after all you are only walking on it slowly) and get an Ikea/cheap stand to put your laptop on.

$2k retail? Ok.

I am sure you are making a point somewhere here. Still waiting to see it...

teemunknee

quality posts: 0 Private Messages teemunknee

Does the silverfox come with it?

Remember, if you're too open-minded, your brains could fall out.

teemunknee.org

jupiterssj4

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jupiterssj4

The point of these is to just be NOT sedentary, which is about the worst thing that you can do for overall fitness. You walk slow, not enough to huff and puff. We toured a fancy "hip" company in Cleveland that had two of these in small offices that employees could share. With desk phones that you can make your own with 4 button presses and roaming profiles, it becomes your desk in a matter of seconds. Even walking very slow is much better than sitting all day.

darraghr

quality posts: 0 Private Messages darraghr

I workout regularly and watch my diet. I like to separate a time to focus on exercise and keep my mind off of work. I also think a standing desk is a great idea.

I hate when people take the problems they have from not taking care of their own bodies and reflect them onto others. Did I cause your chronic back pain? Is it going to be cured from this device? I do "see beyond my own eyeballs"... how else would I have seen this stupid device? Try not taking the easy way out and then maybe you would not have these chronic problems.

Also, these threads are made for opinions. Here is another one; maybe you don't cry about your back pain to a bunch of strangers. Go see a chiropractor.

ewyrick wrote:Someday, when you have chronic back pain that makes it nearly impossible to sit for more than a few minutes without pain, you'll get this concept. Meanwhile, it might be good to take a moment now and then to see beyond your own eyeballs.

breaddrink

quality posts: 20 Private Messages breaddrink
masonustin wrote:good thing your companies insurance rates did not sky rocket due to issues from overweight employees...also, from what i read, you walk 1 to 2 mph which is slower than the speed I would walk down the hall to the bathroom...

I think the point is that it's meant to be a slow enough pace that you're simply burning any calories at all, but still able to be stationary and stable enough to work/type/read.

You would actually see a health benefit from using this if you were able to actually stick to using it.

upsidehound

quality posts: 5 Private Messages upsidehound
Tygerdave wrote:I was looking into one of these but it's not in the budget at the moment. For those of you thinking that you can't be as productive you're partially right, I threw together a website with a summary of and some links to productivity research:
http://exercisedesk.net/treadmill-desk-products.php

"Testing was performed under seated and walking conditions on 2 separate days using a counterbalanced, within subjects design. Participants did not have an acclimation period before the walking condition."

It's important to bear in mind that most of these studies were performed on subjects with little or no practice walking and typing. This doesn't relate to the real world, and therefore, to me, invalidates the results.

With practice, you can walk and type. Even if doing so were not possible, I wonder if the total productivity of someone using this equipment wouldn't exceed that of someone using a standard desk and chair.

Be wary of all one-off studies, especially short term ones with few participants.

spcanf

quality posts: 3 Private Messages spcanf

I think better when I walk. I tried out one of these desks at a friend's office after my acupuncturist suggest it could help me. This is enough of a savings for me to get one for home which is where I grade a lot of papers. I am looking forward to it.

mdwyerfoo

quality posts: 22 Private Messages mdwyerfoo
danielm wrote:How does one concentrate on the details on the screen when the eyes go bobbing and down from walking? Has anyone had a problem with this?

Your body has a pretty impressive system that stabilizes your vision. When it breaks, it is downright terrifying, though. It isn't too bad for nearly everything I did on my computer, but I did familiarize myself with my browser's zoom function.

For what it is worth, I have a tough time reading in a moving vehicle, but I had no trouble reading on a treadmill.

amorphousalias

quality posts: 5 Private Messages amorphousalias

Does anyone use an external monitor mounted on an arm with this desk?

I really want a treadmill desk but I am also very fond of my current setup involving an arm for my laptop and an arm for my external. Too much wobble?

yuppicide

quality posts: 3 Private Messages yuppicide

My problem with this treadmill is that they have only 2.25hp motor. The one with the 3hp motor is $2499 and $2999. Ridiculous!

steelersnation

quality posts: 0 Private Messages steelersnation
amorphousalias wrote:Does anyone use an external monitor mounted on an arm with this desk?

I really want a treadmill desk but I am also very fond of my current setup involving an arm for my laptop and an arm for my external. Too much wobble?

The desk and treadmill are not one piece...I have an ergotron mount on mine and no wobble at all

damorere

quality posts: 9 Private Messages damorere
amorphousalias wrote:Does anyone use an external monitor mounted on an arm with this desk?

I don't have my external monitor on an arm, but am considering that. It shouldn't be a problem as the desk is very stable. If your setup works on a regular desk, if should work on this one. Make sure you budget enough space. The desk is large. It holds a lot, but it also takes up a fair smount of space which had to be dedicated to the setup. On the other hand, It's well worth it. I try to walk (some running) 8 - 12 miles a day and this makes it possible even when I'm swamped with work. Report writing? No problem - I'll just hop on my treadmill. Grading? Ditto. Reviewing an article? Ditto. And it's a pleasant way to read or watch Netflix, too.

steelersnation

Have used this model for 16 months now...will never go back to sitting all day.

amorphousalias

quality posts: 5 Private Messages amorphousalias
steelersnation wrote:The desk and treadmill are not one piece...I have an ergotron mount on mine and no wobble at all

I was so close to not wanting one. So close. (I technically have two ergotron mounts. one for the laptop and one for the external monitor.)

So close. (Thank you.)

steelersnation

amorphousalias wrote:I was so close to not wanting one. So close. (I technically have two ergotron mounts. one for the laptop and one for the arm.)

So close. (Thank you.)

You won't regret the investment

mja1962

quality posts: 2 Private Messages mja1962

If I bought this, I'd set it up so that I could sit down at the desk, but visitors would have to use the treadmill when visiting me.

daveinwarshington

quality posts: 22 Private Messages daveinwarshington

Nice
But it needs a beer tap, small refrigerator, and maybe a small deep-fat fryer.

marbaulo

quality posts: 5 Private Messages marbaulo
acanarelli wrote:Maybe I'm way off base, but I NEVER get the urge to mix two distinctly different efforts. If I want to work, I sit at my desk and get to my work, on the other hand, if I want to exercise, I get on one of my treadmills (one of which I purchased here on Woot) and get down to exercise. I will probably NEVER buy something that's made for a dual purpose, as my experience shows me that neither purpose is ever completely satisfied.

When I sit at my desk for work, I need to focus on my task and concentrate on my work...I don't need to walk at the same time. And when I exercise, I prefer to concentrate on that effort only. Sometimes a bit of music goes will with walking but never anything more taxing. So now we have a very nice desk without a chair, which in my opinion makes a lousy desk. Then we have what could be a very nice treadmill which is made to compliment working at your desk...and this makes a lousy treadmill. Just look at what the treadmill CAN NOT do. It can't walk you above 4 MPH, it can't simulate walking up hill, it has no exercise programs and it's missing many features that good treadmills always have. Thanks for reading my rant.

There have been several studies on this and on calories burned while walk/working (WAY Less than 4mgh dude!!!) and, most importantly, the increase in RESTING metobolic rate. Also, they have studied STANDING desks vs sitting. Basically, anything that gets you off your aerochair is good. walking at 1.5-2 mph is all you need (long term) for significant improvement in cardi-vascular health.
I'm actually shocked my fellow wooters haven't seen this stuff. It's been all over the net for years now.

zoomshakalaka

quality posts: 0 Private Messages zoomshakalaka

for 4 days, this just says: "Shipping Now -- We're putting your order together and packing it up."

Tracking: Unavailable

anybody have an idea of when these are going to ship? they used to call it out in the ad if there were long shipping times for the woot.

ROGETRAY

quality posts: 158 Private Messages ROGETRAY

Staff

zoomshakalaka wrote:for 4 days, this just says: "Shipping Now -- We're putting your order together and packing it up."

Tracking: Unavailable

anybody have an idea of when these are going to ship? they used to call it out in the ad if there were long shipping times for the woot.

Shipping usually takes 3-5 business days from the sale (most often it's quicker than that).

I would recommend that if you don't see any movement or updates to your shipping this weekend to email into Woot Member Services at support@woot.com and let them know.