gryhnd

quality posts: 5 Private Messages gryhnd

While not exactly apples-to-apples, if you need some significant heat/larger room coverage, go with Comfort Cove.

I use these to heat a basement level theater room. They install up high near the ceiling (safe and no space lost), and you run them of a thermostat.

We're planning to install them at our camp in Maine once the old furnace croaks.

dkbrayton

quality posts: 1 Private Messages dkbrayton

We purchased one of these for our unheated but insulated 12x8 mudroom. It kept that room comfortable (50-60 degrees) for the entire NY winter.

bluemaple

quality posts: 73 Private Messages bluemaple
Doug61 wrote:I have four of the above heaters, and have been using them since 2006. Last fall one DID burn and melt at the connections made under the name plate. Luckily it extinguished its self. ECONO-HEAT replaced the six year old heater with there current version (no charge.) I'm still using three 2006 wall heaters.

@Doug61, you, sir, are a risk-taker extraordinaire. The other three (and perhaps the replacement) would be immediately extracted from our home and its proximity to its precious dwellers.

[Note to Wooters, @Doug61 refers to an earlier, different model vs this Woot model.]

echovault

quality posts: 0 Private Messages echovault
Winnowill wrote:Is it an indoor-only thing? We have a vegetable garden that is mostly walled, and even kind of ceiling-ed, but still outdoors. If this worked outdoors, it would be ideal for saving hubby's veggies during the (rare) Phoenix freeze.

Get a couple of large (20-40 gallon) plastic barrels with lids, fill them with water and put them near your plants in direct sunlight. The heat they absorb during the day will prevent a Phoenix-level freeze as it dissipates during the night.

Doug61

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Doug61
bluemaple wrote:@Doug61, you, sir, are a risk-taker extraordinaire. The other three (and perhaps the replacement) would be immediately extracted from our home and its proximity to its precious dwellers.

[Note to Wooters, @Doug61 refers to an earlier, different model vs this Woot model.]

I had JUST heard of the fault today. I thought that the heater that burned was an extreme anomaly, and I was assured of that by ECONO-HEAT.....hummm. The three 2006 models (0601) are coming off the wall today and going to the dump. It is worth buying 3 new ones from Woot for $180.00 just for peace of mind. FYI I do like how the heaters work, they do a great job.

bluemaple

slavnar wrote:I bought one of these a year ago. I did some research on them that I will share, as well as my experiences.
. . .
CONS
1. It makes the wall behind it VERY warm/hot.

2. It does not have a thermostat. You have to manually turn it off/on. I read however that you can hook it up to one, but I didn't.
. . .

@slavnar,
1) Regarding the wall behind it getting very warm, the video and product description also indicate the main source of heat is behind the panel - presumably to induce convention.

That creates an efficiency concern - if that wall behind the panel is not insulated thoroughly, the panel is transferring some of its precious energy to outside your home.

2) The comment above mentioning this heater being like a blow dryer on low is a good one. (400 watts. Most portable heaters are in the 1,000 - 1,300 range but not much more, to minimize the chance of overloading a circuit.)

3) If energy savings is a concern, then installing a thermostat/timer with this would make a lot of sense. Think of 400 watts like leaving four tradtional incandescent lamps turned on 24 hours a day.

bluemaple

echovault wrote:Get a couple of large (20-40 gallon) plastic barrels with lids, fill them with water and put them near your plants in direct sunlight. The heat they absorb during the day will prevent a Phoenix-level freeze as it dissipates during the night.

@echovault, clever. And make them *black* barrels to improve solar heat absorption.

kdogmcg

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kdogmcg
msrowyredhead wrote:Unless you have wallboard walls you will not be able to hang it...

Unless you have a basic understanding of wall anchors. Raw plugs and use the included screws, done.

hdtvcamera

quality posts: 3 Private Messages hdtvcamera
poochie098 wrote:Not if you use off brand running shoes.

Now I need a Woot keyboard/screen cleaner that works on coffee spray.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 555 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

Ok, Wooters....

This is officially UL rated:

This model is made in China as stated in the specs.

Now, let's get back to reviewing the product.

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

Skeemer118

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Skeemer118

I have one of these in our DS2's room to keep him toasty. We have a programable thermostat purchased at Amazon. We've had no issues & it absolutely keeps his room toasty. It could get hot if he left his hand there however it's not an instant burn type heater. We're buying another one for our hallway. DH is looking at the Envi wall heater which is higher price but slimmer & may fit perfectly in the location of choice.

bluemaple

gryhnd wrote:While not exactly apples-to-apples, if you need some significant heat/larger room coverage, go with Comfort Cove.

I use these to heat a basement level theater room. They install up high near the ceiling (safe and no space lost), and you run them of a thermostat.

We're planning to install them at our camp in Maine once the old furnace croaks.

@gryhnd, we've been looking for supplemental heating but need more than the 400 watts in today's Woot. Thanks for the Comfort Cove lead - looks like good stuff. Bonus: middle American company and American made.

FryeGuy93

quality posts: 1 Private Messages FryeGuy93

Why would you want to heat a wall?

FryeGuy

bmanwoot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bmanwoot
ThunderThighs wrote:Ok, Wooters....

This is officially UL rated:

This model is made in China as stated in the specs.

Now, let's get back to reviewing the product.

With all due respect to the moderator, I feel the previous fraudulent listing of UL rating for their products and the documented fire hazard of this company's previous products is completely relevant to discussion of this particular product. I was considering this item for my child's room. However, given the posted information about company history and dangerous malfunction of their other products, I will not purchase a product from this manufacturer.
I am grateful to other members for sharing this information and to the moderator for not removing those informative posts.

chelle6791

quality posts: 0 Private Messages chelle6791
stewcat444 wrote:Not recomended for bathroom. Anyone use there anyway? Where i need constant warmth from a north facing wall. Would put on east wall .

I've used another space heater in the bathroom before, but only once. The humidity will ruin your heater.

zackeeus

quality posts: 3 Private Messages zackeeus
ron76053 wrote:I read on Amazon that it needs 3 feet of clearance from the wall to properly heat the room.

I don't know what's ideal or not, but I have one of these behind my son's dresser with no more than 3" of clearance and it works great. There's no fire risk as it never gets overly hot. You can touch it without getting burned..though I wouldn't recommend leaving a steaming mug of gasoline on top it.

Best thing about this are that it can be hidden behind something so it doesn't clutter up a room like a space heater. I have a separate thermostat that plug it into to control it. Set it and forget it!

snoophog

quality posts: 0 Private Messages snoophog
hippie19 wrote:Searched on the Googles and couldn't find the front clearance for this. I wanted to put it behind a couch, but I also don't want my place to burn down. I even read the user manual.

That is exactly what I want to do with it.

photoguy83

quality posts: 0 Private Messages photoguy83

Wouldn't it make more sense to have the heat come out of the bottom and the cool return on top?

opps

quality posts: 1 Private Messages opps
chelle6791 wrote:I've used another space heater in the bathroom before, but only once. The humidity will ruin your heater.

That is strange...I have had a small portable space heater in my bathroom for over 20 years (the same one) and it still works fine. And I live in a humid area.

nadyoung

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nadyoung

These are amazing and so efficient! I heat with wood but have these in the bedrooms where the heat doesn't reach well with closed doors. Have used them for 10+ years and still love them! AWESOME price on here. Tempted to snatch up a few for gifts.

fit410s

quality posts: 4 Private Messages fit410s

these would be great for a bathroom

from the mother ship

301 of 303 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars BUYER BEWARE- Great heater but understand what you are buying. October 16, 2012
By S. Singh
I live in BC Canada and live in an older home. I took temperature readings around the house before and after installing these heaters. I have 5 of them in 3 bedrooms and two large hallways. My old energy consumption was 7500 watts per hour for the 5 old heaters. Currently my new heaters use a total of 2000 watts per hour and far more efficient so they run less than my old heaters. That is a 73% Energy savings!!! Each of these panels use 400 watts of power (which is like running FOUR 100 watt light bulbs)

This heater is more like a "room temperature maintainer" than a heater. It's great to use in a bedroom and bathroom (up to 120 Sq feet) however remember that this heater works best to keep a room temperature at a certain temp, rather than heating a room quickly. So if you room is at a certain temp, this heater will make sure it stays at that temp. In fact it takes HOURS to heat up a room with this heater, but that's how radiant heat works. It's a slow and steady process. Once it gets to a target temp, it keeps temperatures nice and warm and comfortable rather than feeling like you are in a blast furnace. Think of a camp fire. You can warm yourself directly off the fire (like a traditional heater) or heat your feet on some fire stones around the fire for many many hours (like these heaters.

I highly suggest you buy a temperature control wall socket switch (or build one using a single pole thermostat). That's where you get the most energy savings. That's because once you hit the target temp, these heaters really do a great job kicking on for a few minutes to maintain a temp and shutting off. NOTE: even when power is cut to the panels they still generate heat for 30 to 45 minutes. This is because the panels are nothing but an electric element encased in a ceramic panel. The element heats up the cermanic panel and that's what really heats up the room. Takes a while for these panels to cool down, so you get a heating bonus even with power is shut off.

====TESTING========

Here's my Test numbers using the Panel heaters:

BEFORE
Bedroom at 8 pm (before heaters) : 20 degrees Celsius (or 68 F)
Bedroom at 8 am (when I get up before the heaters): 12 degrees Celsius (or 53.6 F)

AFTER
Bedroom at 8 pm (with heaters) : 20 degrees Celsius (or 68 F)
Bedroom at 8 am (when I get up): 21 degrees Celsius (or 70 F)

These numbers are consistent in all the rooms I tested. So use these panels do work.

=====IMPORTANT OBSERVATIONS======
1) When they mean 120 sq feet. They REALLY mean 120 sq feet in a well insulated room. If you have bad insulation, these heaters will do nothing. Don't even think about using these to heat an open concept large room.

2) The lower to the ground, the better these things work. The instructions suggest 3 to 6 inches off the ground and that's the best. I mounted one in the centre of the wall because of all the stuff in the room. Compared to the one's I have at the 6 inches off the ground, the performance difference is quite extreme. Almost a 60% loss in efficiency. Makes sense because these heaters send heat upwards and not forward. So it sends hot air up the wall..heating also the wall on the way up to the ceiling. The longer the stretch of wall to heat, the more effective it is.

3) These heaters do get hot but don't damage the walls. I have pets that like to sleep close to them and you can touch them by hand and not get burned...but not for long. Please don't put crap in front of the heater. That just should be obvious.

4) Painting these do help it blend into the environment of the room walls very well. You kind of forget about them unless you get near them.

5) Heaters are completely silent. No fans.

6) The heat feels different. My old heaters felt like a hair-dryer on my face when the fans kicked on. This heat is more subtle and more cozy. Feels more like being in a blanket of warm air in summer time.

===== Cons =========

1) THE SMELL!!! When you first fire these heaters up, they have a toxic smelling scent off the heaters. NO! IT'S NOT ACTUALLY TOXIC but enough to take notice and go on-line to see if this stuff is safe to breath. Turns out it's a protective coating (for shipping purposes) that needs to burn off for 8 hours to one day. After you burn it off, there is no scent at all.

2) No instant gratification. It's a hard adjustment for some people not to turn on a heater and not get blasted with heat. These heaters take some time to get used to but once you understand they are meant to stay on for long periods rather than short bursts, you sort of forget that these heaters are on.

===== CONCLUSION =====

I would only recommend these heaters under very SPECIFIC situations (like not freezing in your bedroom while sleeping. It does what it does incredibly well as long as you stay within those specifics situations. I have used these heaters when it was snowing and they worked great, especially with my temperature controlled wall sockets. My energy bill has gone down by 70% from the previous year. It maintains the temperature of the house better than any heater I have ever own...short of a Central Heating unit and those cost alot more to run than these heaters. So if you have a bedroom or a place with pets or kids where a heater can be a fire hazard (under 120 sq feet), then this heater will work great to get the chill out of a cold climate area.

Skyeboi

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Skyeboi

Had a couple of these in our house for awhile. Didn't really heat well at all. I don't care what their materials say - you need a fan to move the heated air around the room. Not worth it.

yuanci

quality posts: 0 Private Messages yuanci

Does anyone know if I use several in a larger room it will work?

9winkie

quality posts: 0 Private Messages 9winkie
nobiletin wrote:Bought two around this time last year, practically replaced the central AC in our house at night, but then again we live down south. Best thing I like about it, it's quiet, plus it doesn't blow air out to my feet.

The heater replaced the AC in your house?

jaws8817

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jaws8817
9winkie wrote:The heater replaced the AC in your house?

AC means air conditioning, conditioned air...can either be hot or cold.

iadams

quality posts: 1 Private Messages iadams
photoguy83 wrote:Wouldn't it make more sense to have the heat come out of the bottom and the cool return on top?

Ehhhm....No. That would just cause air to come out the bottom and go right back in the top - and since there is no fan there would be no way to do this anyway.

This works because heat rises up the wall, pulling cold air from the flow. The heat rises up the wall, across the ceiling, cools, and theoretically (depending on the size of room) falls down the other wall creating convection currents. Goggle "Convection current" and look at the images - very useful in understanding.

madamhusker

quality posts: 1 Private Messages madamhusker
hippie19 wrote:Searched on the Googles and couldn't find the front clearance for this. I wanted to put it behind a couch, but I also don't want my place to burn down. I even read the user manual.

I wouldn't put furniture directly in front of this... install it in an open, unobstructed area, near an outlet. These tiles do get fairly hot, and will only work properly if air can circulate around them.

I've installed four of these in our house, one in each bedroom and one in a master bath. Have plans to install a couple more eventually.

Easy to blend into a room with a good quality latex paint. (Haven't used oil on these, can't attest to that.)

They are good for warming up a small space, but not practical for heating a large room or entire house. (or perhaps you could heat a house, if the rooms are small and you install one/two per room.)

I have had trouble with switches on them, (had two crap out on me) but I just unplug them when not in use. Will eventually replace the entire heater when it dies, but unplugging them is something we can live with. (I'm handy and cheap.)

johnnygoep

quality posts: 0 Private Messages johnnygoep

For anyone who has used this product before:

Will these work to heat a finished attic bedroom? If so, how many would you recommend? Insulated, 8' ceiling, 300 sq feet)

gryhnd

quality posts: 5 Private Messages gryhnd
johnnygoep wrote:For anyone who has used this product before:

Will these work to heat a finished attic bedroom? If so, how many would you recommend? Insulated, 8' ceiling, 300 sq feet)

In Alaska? Arizona?

See my previous post (first on this page) if you're looking for something that truly is a heater option and not just a helper.

sbchandler

quality posts: 3 Private Messages sbchandler
poochie098 wrote:Not if you use off brand running shoes.

Ar Ar

charwoman

quality posts: 9 Private Messages charwoman
bluemaple wrote:@echovault, clever. And make them *black* barrels to improve solar heat absorption.

Dark barrels really do absorb a lot of heat. After Isabelle, we had no power for 2 weeks and no hot water. Every morning I filled up an OdJob (5-gallon black lidded tank for mixing concrete) with the hose and rolled it out to collect sunlight all day. By evening it was warm enough to wash up with. TMI perhaps, but an illustrative anecdote nevertheless.

riocauca

quality posts: 0 Private Messages riocauca

What are the required clearances? I would like to install one under my desk which is against the wall.

bluemaple

charwoman wrote:Dark barrels really do absorb a lot of heat. After Isabelle, we had no power for 2 weeks and no hot water. Every morning I filled up an OdJob (5-gallon black lidded tank for mixing concrete) with the hose and rolled it out to collect sunlight all day. By evening it was warm enough to wash up with. TMI perhaps, but an illustrative anecdote nevertheless.

@charwoman, recently whilst camping we used a handheld digital gun-thermometer to measure the surface temperature of a black camping shower bag (you lay it in the sun for several hours to heat the water inside). It was a fairly cool 68 degree day and the surface temperature of the bag measured 130 degrees.

[Woot, sorry for going off the property, but isn't any post better than silence? ;-)]

rntonp

quality posts: 1 Private Messages rntonp

I don't know who to ask but perhaps yup can assist me. I submitted two emails to customer support in the last week or more regarding an item I never received and haven't heard back from anyone yet. I have spent thousands of dollars on this site so I'm not trying to BS anyone. I need some direction as to this issue. If you can help, please send me a tip at *edited*. -- please, anyone.

[MOD EDIT: Deleted personal information]

ROGETRAY

quality posts: 155 Private Messages ROGETRAY

Staff

rntonp wrote:I don't know who to ask but perhaps yup can assist me. I submitted two emails to customer support in the last week or more regarding an item I never received and haven't heard back from anyone yet. I have spent thousands of dollars on this site so I'm not trying to BS anyone. I need some direction as to this issue. If you can help, please send me a tip at *edited*. -- please, anyone.

[MOD EDIT: Deleted personal information]

I'm very sorry to hear that you haven't received a response back from Woot Member Services yet.
Your emails are very important and the issue you're experiencing should be handled with.

I've forwarded your post along to Woot Member Services to see if I can help you find a resolve.
Please also check the spam folder of your email provider as sometimes their responses can get filtered there.

Thanks for you patience!

UPDATE: CS has responded to at least one email. Could you please check your spam folders?

mrfickle

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mrfickle
zackeeus wrote:I don't know what's ideal or not, but I have one of these behind my son's dresser with no more than 3" of clearance and it works great. There's no fire risk as it never gets overly hot. You can touch it without getting burned..though I wouldn't recommend leaving a steaming mug of gasoline on top it.

Best thing about this are that it can be hidden behind something so it doesn't clutter up a room like a space heater. I have a separate thermostat that plug it into to control it. Set it and forget it!

Where?What kind of thermostat was purchased for your wall heater?

sdc100

quality posts: 503 Private Messages sdc100
msrowyredhead wrote:I bought two of these last October. One is still in the box. The problem?? I have solid lathe & plaster walls, and with the enclosed hardware they cannot be hung on my walls.
We did manage to improvise the hanging of one, using hardware purchased separately at the local hardware store) This involved drilling the beam, inserting bolts through the "adapted" tube, and securing with wing nuts. It was a grueling job with many expletives involved. Not exactly attractive either.
Due to the lack of thermostat, I have it on an appliance timer. It takes the chill off the room, but does not warm it thoroughly.
Wishing I had returned the second, as when we finally got around to facing the onerous installation a second time, there was no suitable area for installation without rearranging the entire basement. It is still unopened in the box.
I am sure wit works fine in smaller rooms with wallboard walls.. just make sure you will be able to hang it before you buy it!!

You can probably put it on a stand, like a flatscreen TV. Air should still circulate freely in the back although the bottom would be somewhat blocked.

sdc100

quality posts: 503 Private Messages sdc100
Skyeboi wrote:Had a couple of these in our house for awhile. Didn't really heat well at all. I don't care what their materials say - you need a fan to move the heated air around the room. Not worth it.

No, a fan isn't necessary. Think of all the old fashion radiators powered by hot water. A fan helps, but isn't necessary.

judgejoebrown

quality posts: 0 Private Messages judgejoebrown

Got mine 3 weeks ago and installed it in the master bedroom. Just started using it last night. I'm damned happy with it. How do we FORCE Woot to offer them up again?

Now I wish I had ordered 3 at the price they were offered at. One of these in the living room and the hobby room and I probably wouldn't need my wallet draining heating system.

The nonsensical ravings of a lunatic mind......

jude0501

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jude0501

This is a great little heater suitable for a smaller room.