strider72

quality posts: 1 Private Messages strider72

Lots of info on the original Nikon product announcement:

http://www.nikon.com/news/2012/1106_dslr_01.htm

Khu

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Khu

This is an excellent camera for an enthusiast. I have been using the older model (D5100) for a couple of years and have been extremely pleased.

My flicker stream:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/oscar_amos/

Photos from the newer D5200.
http://www.flickr.com/groups/nikon_d5200/

zksi

quality posts: 0 Private Messages zksi

I would recommend this camera if and only if you need the tilt LCD feature. Barring that, the D3100 is almost exactly the same camera (minus some features hidden deep in menus that you will never use) for amateur photography.

The big thing is that in the situations where you're in need of the tilt LCD and live viewfinding, you're likely going to be needing a very fast lens. The cheapest, sharpest, and fastest lenses are all of the AF/AF-D type which Nikon's lowest end of cameras do not support autofocussing on. This camera support AF-I/AF-S, but those lenses due to internal servos are inherently more expensive, as well as being "newer" lenses with "features" such as being gelded (the camera metaphorical equivalent of the equestrian term), tend to be worse lenses than their price equivalent 1980s counterparts.*

So effectively with this body you're stuck with only a small selection of very expensive lenses should you wish to upgrade.

If you're looking to get a body that will help transition from amateur to enthusiast photography, the D90 supports older lenses and is at the exact same price point, and shoots just as well, barring the swivel LCD. The D300 is pretty much the best camera worth buying, unless you're a serious professional looking to go full frame with a D800 or D4 (but in that case you know way more than me and don't need my advice).

So before you pull the trigger on this, determine your personal price/value boundaries, and consider how much the swivel LCD is worth.

*My fixation with old lenses comes from the fact that they can come very cheap at very high quality if you know where to look (garage sales, estate sales).

madhatter520

quality posts: 0 Private Messages madhatter520

It's cheaper at Best Buy:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/nikon-d5200-digital-slr-camera-body-only-black/7525209.p?id=1218851197979&skuId=7525209&ref=06&loc=01&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=7525209&extensionType={adtype}:{network}&s_kwcid=PTC!pla!{keyword}!{matchtype}!{adwords_producttargetid}!{network}!{ifmobile:M}!{creative}&kpid=7525209&k_clickid=269ea4df-6e28-4f69-4276-000070ebf050

[MOD: Camera body only.]

robb1969

quality posts: 0 Private Messages robb1969
crazyjake05 wrote:would this be a good entry level camera for a photography enthusiast? i am definitely not talking professional quality, but something that is leaps and bounds above standard digital cameras. How about the interface?

Yes and no. It's a GREAT camera, and no harder to use than any other DSLR. But if you're a complete newbie, and REALLY want it simple, go with either the d3100 or the d3200 because they have Guide Mode.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLcqFcLkD9w
(SFW)
My wife has this, and it really is easier to set up shots for a beginner.

The caveat is that you'll probably move past guide mode in a few months, and then the advantages of the D5X series are desirable. Esp (IMO)the swivel screen. That's come in handy on more than one occasion for me, and I'm not a pro by any means.

kaylakay

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kaylakay

Worth noting that Nikon JUST announced the D5300 which comes out November 14th-ish. However, about the only thing that the new 5300 offers is built-in Wi-Fi and GPS - and it's going to go for the same "new" price as the 5200, so keep that in mind if GPS and Wi-Fi are important for you. I'm too paranoid to buy factory reconditioned (wish I wasn't!) or I'd be seriously considering this deal.

If you're okay with the factory reconditioned status, this is about as cheap as you're going to find this camera + lens bundle. I've looked around (usually about $200-300 more to get it as New)

As for the photography, it has an auto-mode, so if you're lost you can use that, but really, the beauty of these new DSLRs is that you can do SO much more than Auto mode. It's worth purchasing a basic "how to take better photography" book as well as a "How to use the Nikon D5200 book" (which is much, much more in-depth than the instructions and is full-color and super helpful).

robb1969

quality posts: 0 Private Messages robb1969
zksi wrote:I would recommend this camera if and only if you need the tilt LCD feature. Barring that, the D3100 is almost exactly the same camera (minus some features hidden deep in menus that you will never use) for amateur photography.

The big thing is that in the situations where you're in need of the tilt LCD and live viewfinding, you're likely going to be needing a very fast lens. The cheapest, sharpest, and fastest lenses are all of the AF/AF-D type which Nikon's lowest end of cameras do not support autofocussing on. This camera support AF-I/AF-S, but those lenses due to internal servos are inherently more expensive, as well as being "newer" lenses with "features" such as being gelded (the camera metaphorical equivalent of the equestrian term), tend to be worse lenses than their price equivalent 1980s counterparts.*

So effectively with this body you're stuck with only a small selection of very expensive lenses should you wish to upgrade.

If you're looking to get a body that will help transition from amateur to enthusiast photography, the D90 supports older lenses and is at the exact same price point, and shoots just as well, barring the swivel LCD. The D300 is pretty much the best camera worth buying, unless you're a serious professional looking to go full frame with a D800 or D4 (but in that case you know way more than me and don't need my advice).

So before you pull the trigger on this, determine your personal price/value boundaries, and consider how much the swivel LCD is worth.

*My fixation with old lenses comes from the fact that they can co

The Night mode of the 5000 series is very nice to have, and the autofocus system on the 5000 is MUCH more advanced.

At the end of the day, they'll both take great pics, but the 5200 has a lot more feature-wise going for it.

yodamaster

quality posts: 0 Private Messages yodamaster

I like the mod comment however, if you scroll down on both sites you see a nikon 90 day warranty... they are the same. I prefer the cheaper one with faster shipping then I would probably see from woot.

villagebike wrote:Cheaper on newegg + free shipping:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16830113527

[MOD: Unknown warranty. Ours is factory reconditioned with a Nikon warranty.]

korpo53

quality posts: 2 Private Messages korpo53

To answer all the questions:

• Yes, this is a good starter camera. There are better/cheaper starter cameras out there, but this one has more room to grow if you're interested in photography as a hobby.
  • Yes, this will work for Youtube, soccer games, spiders, and everything else. You will most likely need a new lens, and they range in price from $100 to the price of a car.
  • Yes, this may be cheaper or more expensive elsewhere.
  • Yes, watching DigitalRevTV is possibly the best use of anyone's time, ever, for any reason.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 617 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

yodamaster wrote:I like the mod comment however, if you scroll down on both sites you see a nikon 90 day warranty... they are the same. I prefer the cheaper one with faster shipping then I would probably see from woot.

It only says a 90-day warranty and then lists the Manufacturer contact info, the same as they do in every sale. It's unclear who holds the warranty from the information given.

Their definition for the warranty states:

Beyond any applicable Newegg return policy, this item is warranted independently by the product's Manufacturer or a Third party.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

philmills

quality posts: 3 Private Messages philmills
zksi wrote:The cheapest, sharpest, and fastest lenses are all of the AF/AF-D type which Nikon's lowest end of cameras do not support autofocusing on. This camera support AF-I/AF-S, but those lenses due to internal servos are inherently more expensive, as well as being "newer" lenses with "features" such as being gelded (the camera metaphorical equivalent of the equestrian term), tend to be worse lenses than their price equivalent 1980s counterparts.

So true.
Nikon's fixed-50mm f/1.8 is a GREAT lens - super sharp, super clear, super fast - and under $100.
But it doesn't have an autofocus motor built in. The version of that lens /with/ the autofocus motor is about DOUBLE the price.

Nikon's decision to dump the in-camera autofocus drive on all but the top-end bodies frustrates those of us who got into DSLRs and loaded up on lenses before Nikon decided to cheap out.

So I /could/ upgrade my D70 to this, but then I've got a lot of money tied up in largely non-functional glass.

So, Nikon: if I have to do a full house-cleaning and replace all the lenses anyway, what's to stop me from looking at Canon instead?

bluemaple

quality posts: 77 Private Messages bluemaple
philmills wrote:So true.
Nikon's fixed-50mm f/1.8 is a GREAT lens - super sharp, super clear, super fast - and under $100.
But it doesn't have an autofocus motor built in. The version of that lens /with/ the autofocus motor is about DOUBLE the price.

Nikon's decision to dump the in-camera autofocus drive on all but the top-end bodies frustrates those of us who got into DSLRs and loaded up on lenses before Nikon decided to cheap out.

So I /could/ upgrade my D70 to this, but then I've got a lot of money tied up in largely non-functional glass.

So, Nikon: if I have to do a full house-cleaning and replace all the lenses anyway, what's to stop me from looking at Canon instead?

@philmills, jump on in. The water's fine. I promise!

dliidlii

quality posts: 34 Private Messages dliidlii

As one of its daily deals, Roberts Camera via eBay offers the refurbished Nikon D5100 16.2-Megapixel Digital SLR Camera bundled with the Nikon AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 VR Lens and Nikon AF-S DX NIKKOR 55-200mm f/4-5.6 VR Lens for $469.99 with free shipping. That's $227 under last winter's mention of a new unit and $107 less than the lowest total price we could find for a factory-sealed bundle today. The camera features a 3" vari-angle LCD, 1080p video recording with sound, 4 fps shooting, and HDMI. Deal ends today.
And NO SALES TAX, which Amazon/woot are trying to require for ALL internet sales.

j647

quality posts: 1 Private Messages j647
robb1969 wrote:Yes and no. It's a GREAT camera, and no harder to use than any other DSLR. But if you're a complete newbie, and REALLY want it simple, go with either the d3100 or the d3200 because they have Guide Mode.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLcqFcLkD9w
(SFW)
My wife has this, and it really is easier to set up shots for a beginner.

The caveat is that you'll probably move past guide mode in a few months, and then the advantages of the D5X series are desirable. Esp (IMO)the swivel screen. That's come in handy on more than one occasion for me, and I'm not a pro by any means.

The Tamron 70-200 f/2.8 would be fantastic for your kids soccer games. Buy a decent monopod and you will have very nice pictures. It does not have VR but that is twice the price. The 2.8 is what will give you the blurry backgrounds that people love.

cactuskid

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cactuskid

I bought the same Kit over a year ago except it was the D5100...

refurbished , it lasted 2 weeks then would not focus ( I am NOT new to photography) so had to send to Nikon repair to fix, is doing fine now... This D5200 kit with the VR18-55 is a nice deal.. though if you like to control the camera will miss more real buttons