dhess

quality posts: 9 Private Messages dhess
Turiya wrote:If you're using WMC, you don't need to purchase any kind of guide subscription.

For those of you looking to purchase multiple to use with the same WMC based HTPC, be aware that WMC has a "hard" limit of 4 tuners per source type (cable card, OTA, etc.)

You can get an add-on called TunerSalad (http://www.mychannellogos.com/tunersalad) that will increase this limit to 32.

I have Windows Media Center installed on a Win 7 Ultimate machine and on a Win 7 Pro machine and neither can see the HDHomeRun, unfortunately.

Ports are forwarded correctly, UPNP is on, so is DLNA.

jdandison

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jdandison
lx003n wrote:not true there are open source pvr options available

there is NextPVR, MediaPortal, and MythTV (also SageTV which was java based but then acquired by Google Fiber in 2011)

looks like there are some issues with getting the channels (Electronic Programming Guide) as well as transcoding for some devices.

however this is nothing that a little hacking wont fix.

btw has anybody had experience using these things with DLNA?

Some of the open source options don't work with some carriers. TWC where I am encrypts pretty much every channel and puts copy once flags on everything, so almost everything I've tried besides media center has failed.

I did, however, try it on my PS3 with DLNA. Worked fine for the few channels I tried. As long as the DLNA device supports DTCP-IP it should work fine.

jdandison

dhess wrote:I have Windows Media Center installed on a Win 7 Ultimate machine and on a Win 7 Pro machine and neither can see the HDHomeRun, unfortunately.

Ports are forwarded correctly, UPNP is on, so is DLNA.

Did you install the software from Silicon Dust's website? Going through their config software is a requirement before setting up Media Center.

jdandison

PocketBrain wrote:PS3/4? Anybody here use it with their PS3?

I don't use I regularly with a PS3, but it has worked when I've tried.

doctharock

quality posts: 1 Private Messages doctharock

You connect it to your pc via usb, then you would connect the pc to your hdtv via your video card.

rampman10 wrote:I don't see an HDMI port. How does this interact with the TV in high definition without an HDMI?

Is it only wireless with smart tv's?

I have been looking for something that will allow me to watch my cable or media from my laptop on any tv in my house. Will this do that? Can I use this to send video from my pc to my tv, or only from my tv to my pc?

I would think there would be more devices out there to help with this that would keep people from having to rent whole home dvr's.

dadrepus

quality posts: 4 Private Messages dadrepus
yourbuddypal wrote:I picked up a SiliconDust dual awhile back. What does this one do that the dual can't? What would be the benefit in upgrading to this model?

The duel is the only one that will work with the Mac client they developed for EyeTv which is a Mac only DVR. They also have their own guide service.

hlpimfalling

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hlpimfalling
nexusheli wrote:While you're correct on the benefits, the new model is not able to use a cable card, which means OTA and unencrypted cable only. That should be good for 3 or 4 channels for most people...

Really? Something must have changed since I looked last because it was supposed to be the same tuner with the encoder built in. That stinks

biotiger

quality posts: 0 Private Messages biotiger

Who else has no ideas what these things do anymore?

tc1uscg

quality posts: 2 Private Messages tc1uscg
dhess wrote:

-Cable cards are like $3-8 per month, instead of $20-30 for the company's DVR. You will save money, but it will take some work.

As you clearly pointed out. This isn't going to be compatble with MOST tv systems without some MAJOR grunt work. Your typical home viewer wants Plug-n-play and 100% compatability, like your cable companies DVR. Sure, I can save on my cable bill by dumping my media gateway (25.00 a month and includes 1tb storage, exteral storage and 2 desktop boxes free). Then, buy a liftime membership with playon/playlater (cheaper then this box and NO SUPSCRIPTION FEEs) and get the same thing and then some (toss in a roku or two and cha-ching. My point is, there are lots of options out there for people who want to cut the cord. Well, your not really cutting the cord because you still have to PAY for broadband so, cable gets your money one way or another. Just sayin..

TC1 USCG Ret

NewspaperCrane

quality posts: 10 Private Messages NewspaperCrane

I literally picked up one of these things two weeks ago, and it's working fantastically.

I am running windows 8, using windows media center (I got WMC for free for buying windows 8 super early or something), anyways the set up didn't take too long, maybe a half an hour total.

Note: in order to decrypt channels this requires a cablecard from your provider. The cable card is called the "M-Card" (Comcast referred to it as a "Dual Card". It's pink, and motorola branded.

Set up with Comcast wasn't too bad, I used this post to give me the proper phone numbers to call when I had to call comcast. Those phone numbers actually get you to the correct department on the first try, where they ACTUALLY know what a cablecard is (I know, I was shocked too). Just note, that Comcast charges this to your bill as a cable box, and allows you to replace a cable box with it. So if your cable includes one box, this can be that box, but if you have another one too it will cost you $10 a month.

Anyways, after the activation process I got windows media center setup in a jiffy, and all was right with the world. Also, for some reason I get HD channels (I don't pay for upgraded HD... so go figure) through the Prime. I've been using my xbox360 as a windows media extender. The whole setup is working wonderfully.

There is also a "HomeRunTV" android app. Basically, it allows you to see the tuners on the network and switch to them on android. It requires another media player to work (I forget which two it said it's compatible with off the top of my head, but both of them were free.) The android streaming works... but it's not pretty. I'd imagine these are on woot because as someone said earlier they're coming out with a more mobile friendly version.

The one drawback I'd say this thing has is that it puts a lot of strain on your network. I run a standard 10/100 network and if I want to use all three turners at once on HD channels, it has network issues. If you have gigibit you should be fine. This might be a drawback to the "Wife Acceptance Factor", but it finally gives me an excuse to update to a gigabit router.

I miss me some wootTV.

tobiusnc

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tobiusnc
doctharock wrote:You connect it to your pc via usb, then you would connect the pc to your hdtv via your video card.

That's incorrect. You connect the HDHR Prime to your router, and the channels are available over the network. You either connect to it using DLNA or install the software on your windows PC and use Windows Media Player. (There are open source options, but they have limitations, especially with things that are marked Copy-once. I tried a few an didn't find anything that came close to Windows Media Center.) I have one of these and it's working well for me. I can watch on my laptop over wireless, but HD channels struggle sometimes. I HIGHLY recommend a programmable remote. I was able to pick up a Harmony 200 for under $20 and couldn't be happier with how it works. Overall, way better solution than I had with Comcast hardware, but there are times when it doesn't work just right and the wife gets frustrated.

tobiusnc

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tobiusnc
tc1uscg wrote:As you clearly pointed out. This isn't going to be compatble with MOST tv systems without some MAJOR grunt work. Your typical home viewer wants Plug-n-play and 100% compatability, like your cable companies DVR. Sure, I can save on my cable bill by dumping my media gateway (25.00 a month and includes 1tb storage, exteral storage and 2 desktop boxes free). Then, buy a liftime membership with playon/playlater (cheaper then this box and NO SUPSCRIPTION FEEs) and get the same thing and then some (toss in a roku or two and cha-ching. My point is, there are lots of options out there for people who want to cut the cord. Well, your not really cutting the cord because you still have to PAY for broadband so, cable gets your money one way or another. Just sayin..

I completely agree with the premise that this requires some grunt work to get up and running, but you can end up with a pretty nice solution. The benefit this has over PlayOn or other online television is pro sports. That's the one thing that keeps us tied to cable tv. Just no way to watch football on Sundays without it.

spudmiester

quality posts: 0 Private Messages spudmiester

I've been using this tuner for months along with a 6 tuner Centon. Both are ethernet attached. The SiliconDust tuner is more stable than the Centon. I've never had to reboot the SD. I have to reboot the Centon about twice a month. If SD had a 6 Tuner / 1 Cablecard device, my Centon would be in the garbage.

I'm using MediaCenter for Windows 7. MC is included with Win7. Don't bother with Win8.

I can divide or share the 9 total tuners between two different Win7 PCs running MC.

My Samsung SmartTV can see the SiliconDust tuners on the network and can stream TV direct from SD. I never use this feature, but it there and it does work.

kkrofft

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kkrofft
rampman10 wrote:I don't see an HDMI port. How does this interact with the TV in high definition without an HDMI?

I have been looking for something that will allow me to watch my cable or media from my laptop on any tv in my house. Will this do that? Can I use this to send video from my pc to my tv, or only from my tv to my pc?

I would think there would be more devices out there to help with this that would keep people from having to rent whole home dvr's.

Forget wireless. The unit is a network device that is accessed by drivers loaded on local devices. I have the 2 tuner version and had to upgrade to gigabit wired to get it to stream properly.

That said, the unit works great and I would recommend it as a great solution.

flameout

quality posts: 1 Private Messages flameout

Ive had this for a while now, and although its great having the 3 tuners, I'm experiencing the dreaded 29/59 bug on some channels. Its so bad I cant even watch those channels and need to go to the non HD channel to watch. I swear it's Comcast doing it so I'll just abandon my homerun box and rent one of theirs. From all of my searching, no one seems to have a fix. Ive tried 3 different computers all running win with WMC. Its a nice product though, bug this bug makes it a little leSS useful for me

threefs

quality posts: 1 Private Messages threefs

You're thinking about this a little backwards. This does not directly hook up to a TV. This works though a laptop or desktop running a tuner in sync with either Windows Media Center or XBMC or another PVR client.

Then VIA the computer (Chrome Cast, HDMI, VGA, or Other) it will be displayed on the television.

Best part about this is that with the X360 you can set them up as extenders in WMC and use your Xboxs as cable boxes though out the house. Me and my roommates all have them and can all watch TV with relatively ease once everything is up and running.

seand13

quality posts: 1 Private Messages seand13

Has anyone tried connecting a Raspberry running RaspMC to one of these?

Or a Roku?

Or a Kindle FireHD(2nd gen)/other tablets?

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 586 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

comicscars wrote:OK, I'm not sure I understand yet, but will this work with satellite TV provides like Dish or DirectTV? I have Dish.

Sorry but this requires a CableCard so it will not work with Satellite TV.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

stirfriedpanda

quality posts: 1 Private Messages stirfriedpanda
seand13 wrote:Has anyone tried connecting a Raspberry running RaspMC to one of these?

Or a Roku?

Or a Kindle FireHD(2nd gen)/other tablets?

My next ptask is going to be trying it on my Respberry Pi. I'm going to be using XBMC though. I have tried it on my Asus Transformer tablet and it does not work very well. This may be because it is over WiFi on the 2.4 GHz range. I would imagine one would have better luck if they were running a Dual band router and used the 5 GHz frequency.

hexnut

quality posts: 1 Private Messages hexnut

I have comcast with 1 cable box and mostly basic HD service with PVR. I do use some channels like Discovery and FoodTV. I have been extremely pleased with my original HDHomerun dual tuner device and Win7MCE backend and XBMC nettop frontends. Then comcast encrypted all channels (go figure). I built a coat hanger wire antenna and am happy again though I would love to cut the TV side of the cable leaving internet on. Would someone please clarify the potential savings for me? I looked at my bill and my box is $8 per month. From reading the posts, I can't tell if the Mcard will save me any $ and I'd rather not call crapcast to deal with all of the joy that usually ensues from their call center reps.

woot9924

quality posts: 0 Private Messages woot9924
kkrofft wrote:Forget wireless. The unit is a network device that is accessed by drivers loaded on local devices. I have the 2 tuner version and had to upgrade to gigabit wired to get it to stream properly.

Agree with the previous response. I bought this last time it was on Woot and I by no means am a techie. It took me a couple tries to get it to work because the 1st cable card/adapter (2 pieces) I picked up from Cox malfunctioned. It turns out the adapters are notoriously unstable. Once I got it going, what everyone says is true. Every Windows 7/Windows Media Center laptop can run all my channels live, or DVR anything (even Red Zone!). So I can sit on the porch and catch a game on a nice day. I use NextPVR on my old Windows XP laptop because there's no Media Center on XP. Don't ask me how I got that to work, but it does. Bottom line is it's a great product. ONE MORE THING: Support from SiliconDust is essentially email only, but they do respond.

bpbarrette

quality posts: 1 Private Messages bpbarrette

This will not work with a PS4. Sony has said no DLNA for the PS4.

bpbarrette

I have had two of these for some time. In my opinion you want to use a PC more powerful than a wimpy notebook if you want to do much with it as the work required for the tuning/recording can be very taxing on systems running something like AMD APU's. I have an AMD E-450 setup and I can't wait to get something with more oomph.

Also, I do get lots of tuner errors over time, and now and then it will turn a 1 hour recording into a non-stop recording, which requires a reboot. I do have other issues, but for the most part prefer this to $45 a month for a FiOS DVR setup. Yes, I save $45 a month!

I would say this is not for the technical faint of heart.

Finally, MS is clearly letting WMC wither on the vine to die. The new Xbox One will not be a WMC extender. You'll need to stick with a 360 for that.

Bandrik

quality posts: 77 Private Messages Bandrik

I bought one of these from woot in the past. It works well and I like it, though the first one I got was defective and wouldn't activate with Comcast (they sent a tech out and spent a couple of DAYS scratching their heads). SiliconDust replaced it hassle-free. Recommended.

trumpetx

quality posts: 0 Private Messages trumpetx
comicscars wrote:OK, I'm not sure I understand yet, but will this work with satellite TV provides like Dish or DirectTV? I have Dish.

No, it is for cable card only.

wootwoot36093

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wootwoot36093

No - this is only for US digital cable subscribers.

iwantamonkey

quality posts: 5 Private Messages iwantamonkey

I want cable TV in my basement. Please break this down for me simplistically.

A. In my living room I have my incoming main cable line, my HD/DVR cable box, my HDTV, and my router for teh interwebz.

B. I have a TV upstairs in the master bedroom. Basic cable. That's good enough.

C. The basement does not have any cable outlets. On one side is my desktop computer, hooked up via wifi router. On the other side is an HDTV with wi-fi networked Blu-ray player that I use for Netflix movies.

My situation: The way my house is built, it is too costly to rewire the house to get a cable outlet in the basement. I have been interested in something like this for a while, but everything I see is just a transmitter that only plays/transmits what is on one TV to another TV.

I am willing to do grunt work.

1. Would I hook this up in my main floor to transmit to the basement?

2. How does the basement TV receive? Via the wi-fi blu-ray player? Or do I need to run a cable to it? Some of you have mentioned setting a computer next to the TV. I'd like to avoid making the room look like a mess. I'm a minimalist kinda guy. (Except when I start typing.)

3. Will my basement TV be able to watch a different channel at the same time as the living room TV? (While she watches QVC or HGTV, can I watch any other channel other than QVC or HGTV?)

4. Please, for the love of all that is holy, can I watch anything other than QVC or HGTV?

hlpimfalling

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hlpimfalling

Does the xbox 360 play "premium" (aka copy protected) content, and does it have guides? It may be worth it for me to pick one up if it does.

rydethis

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rydethis

What if you don't have cable? or a flat screen tv? I have an old boxy tv. I plan to get a flat screen one day though. I only have internet and I watch all my shows the day after on Hulu on my laptop. Can someone explain all this is laymen terms? I have no idea what some of yall are saying.

Touch me in the morning!!

sflesch

quality posts: 4 Private Messages sflesch

I recently bought a Roku and have Win7 with Media Center with a Hauppauge tuner. I haven't figured out how to get the signal from my WMC to any other devices. Will this essentially skip some of this and send the signal to any compatible device on my network?

Will it send to the Roku? Or do I just need an app on my WMC PC to send the OTA signals to the Roku?

Why is it that everytime I click I want one", Woot makes me buy it? Don't they ever just want to know that, "Yes, I want one?" http://www.sflesch.com

dae1

quality posts: 4 Private Messages dae1
PocketBrain wrote:PS3/4? Anybody here use it with their PS3?

I've tried it on my PS3 and it's horrendous. Even locks up the PS3.

hugehead83

quality posts: 6 Private Messages hugehead83

I have been using one of these for ~8 months on Comcast in Houston through WMC on my Windows 8.1 Pro PC, using my Xbox 360 and other thin clients as extenders. This device has already paid for itself in my home through savings of cable boxes and DVR.

If I have a fast enough connection while traveling, I can VPN into my home network and watch channels from my HDHR anywhere Though there are other mobile/desktop apps that are aiming to make this better/faster.

As others have said, it takes some grunt work, and I wouldn't recommend it for the not-so-technically-inclined. I and others have posted setup tips in the Amazon reviews. Only took me one 10-minute call with Comcast.

On a somewhat related note, has anyone else noticed Comcast tinkering with the channel copy flags?

jcl945

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jcl945
hlpimfalling wrote:Does the xbox 360 play "premium" (aka copy protected) content, and does it have guides? It may be worth it for me to pick one up if it does.

Yes, as long as you are connecting to Windows Media Center.

jcl945

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jcl945
iwantamonkey wrote:I want cable TV in my basement. Please break this down for me simplistically.

A. In my living room I have my incoming main cable line, my HD/DVR cable box, my HDTV, and my router for teh interwebz.

C. The basement does not have any cable outlets. On one side is my desktop computer, hooked up via wifi router. On the other side is an HDTV with wi-fi networked Blu-ray player that I use for Netflix movies.

My situation: The way my house is built, it is too costly to rewire the house to get a cable outlet in the basement. I have been interested in something like this for a while, but everything I see is just a transmitter that only plays/transmits what is on one TV to another TV.

2. How does the basement TV receive? Via the wi-fi blu-ray player? Or do I need to run a cable to it? Some of you have mentioned setting a computer next to the TV. I'd like to avoid making the room look like a mess. I'm a minimalist kinda guy. (Except when I start typing.)

3. Will my basement TV be able to watch a different channel at the same time as the living room TV? (While she watches QVC or HGTV, can I watch any other channel other than QVC or HGTV?)

4. Please, for the love of all that is holy, can I watch anything other than QVC or HGTV?

I would recommend not doing this over wireless, so you will need a network line from your router to your basement, and have it connected to a device that supports dlna (no premium channels) or a windows media extender (xbox 360).

bpbarrette

iwantamonkey wrote:I want cable TV in my basement. Please break this down for me simplistically.

I have the Verizon specific version of this: http://www.amazon.com/Actiontec-Ethernet-Adapter-Service-ECB2500CK01/dp/B008EQ4BQG/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1383669078&sr=1-1&keywords=actiontec

Works great! You can use your cable coax like cat5.

hugehead83

quality posts: 6 Private Messages hugehead83
jcl945 wrote:Yes, as long as you are connecting to Windows Media Center.

And, more specifically, your cablecard provider has not flagged the channel as "do not copy"

Zape

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Zape

OK, here is your "Easy" answer:
Hook up a splitter from your cable line to this box and your main cable box. Get your cable company to issue a cable card which slides into this box (never really as easy as it sounds, and working with your cable company is the biggest challenge). Then, if you get good enough wifi use a playstation 3 with this device and you'll be able to watch all of the same shows you can see upstairs. If you don't have good enough wifi, you can use a powerline adapter to accomplish that.
Better
As a better alternative, you can use a powerline adapter (if you can get good throughput) to put this to your PC running Windows Media Center and use an XBOX 360 to play the shows, and you will have a full blown DVR. You would also be able to ditch the cable box upstairs and use an XBOX 360 to watch TV on your main TV.
Best
Ideally, you would like your recording PC to be using your wired gigabit network all the way to the HDHomeRun as 3 streams being watched/recording would be too taxing for wifi and would require good throughput for powerline, so a media center HTPC in the living room with XBOX 360s elsewhere is the best case scenario.

tadef

quality posts: 1 Private Messages tadef

I want a box that will allow me to eliminate either: a) all three current boxes (one is a DVR) or b) eliminate the two "slave" boxes and just have the DVR. But I don't want it to be wireless. I don't care about watching TV on my computer. My house is all prewired for the TVs at their locations, so I want to be able to run the signal through the existing wiring.

Does this exist? (UVerse btw)

falken

quality posts: 1 Private Messages falken
dhess wrote:
-Cable cards are like $3-8 per month, instead of $20-30 for the company's DVR. You will save money, but it will take some work.

-You need a set-top-box for on-demand content, but we just use a Chromecast and our Ouya to take care of that.

$8 for a cableCARD? I would be reporting them to the FCC. The average is Free-$3. $8 is way outside the FCC's definition of reasonable.

On demand content? Just use amazon, netflix, vudu, hulu, whatever. Nothing will be available from your cable company that is not on one of those

bwieg92

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bwieg92
kkrofft wrote:Forget wireless. The unit is a network device that is accessed by drivers loaded on local devices. I have the 2 tuner version and had to upgrade to gigabit wired to get it to stream properly.

The 2 tuner model doesn't even have gigabit, only 100 mbps. You were probably having other issues...

http://www.silicondust.com/images/hdhomerun/HDHomeRun_US__WEB_flyer.pdf