davevpi

quality posts: 0 Private Messages davevpi
adr5 wrote:Do you really need more than one output? I can see needing multiple inputs.

I have no idea if such a thing even exists, but if you're a sports guy, multiple outputs would be kinda nice - you can have one football game on the big TV and then another one on a side TV. (I don't know if such a thing even exists - I had never contemplated it until seeing it discussed here.)

My receiver doesn't have HDMI at all, so I'm running cables from my various devices directly to my TV. I've been close to pulling the trigger a couple of times on buying a new receiver, but it's just been one of those "do I really want to mess with what's working" type of things.

13 woots since 2012 totaling $887.91

choekstr

quality posts: 1 Private Messages choekstr
ahugar wrote:Don't Buy! I bought this one on Woot and all HDMI ports were dead in slightly more than 12 months.

I have the Pioneer 1018 7.1-Channel from around 2008. [Presumably] I had my Tivo's hooked up and during a storm a surge came through the coax and out to the HDMI frying the HDMI port on the Pioneer receiver

So I unhooked everything, rewired to work without the receiver, reprogrammed the remotes and took it into the warranty service center and they had it for a few days. Drove back and picked it up while they waited on the parts to show up and rewired it, reprogrammed the remotes.

2 weeks later when the HDMI board arrived I un-wired it, rewired, reprogrammed remotes, drove back there, left it for a week, picked it back up, rewired, reprogrammed remotes and it worked...for 6 more months after it was out of warranty and the HDMI port fried again during another storm.

Full UPS and surge protection was in effect mind you, so I limped along with remaining 2 ports. Until 3-4 months later and another HDMI board fried. Down to 1 HDMI port which is unused anymore since I had to switch to an HDMI switch.

Seriously debating about buying another Pioneer now that I hear someone else had HDMI ports fry. I mean really, an HDMI port/board fries? How about just a touch of circuit protection Pioneer?!?

bobwhite

quality posts: 1 Private Messages bobwhite
bcollins21 wrote:Can I hook up a turntable to this?

The turntable preamp that used to be in all receivers is now relegated to only the high end models that sell for over 1k. You have to buy a phono preamp and connect it to one of the audio inputs. Amazon has a bunch of them, starting at around $10.00. I would spend a little more, look at the Behringer PP400 Ultra-Compact Phono Preamp for $20.00

Robert O. White

danimb

quality posts: 0 Private Messages danimb
jstrahn wrote:I read a review that said zone 2 will only output analog sources, meaning no Pandora. Is that correct?

I want to know the same thing. Since we can't pump digital signals to the second zone, it would be nice to at least be able to push pandora to the other zone. I think a lot of people, like myself, use a second zone for outdoor speakers.

Costner

quality posts: 27 Private Messages Costner
bobwhite wrote:The turntable preamp that used to be in all receivers is now relegated to only the high end models that sell for over 1k. You have to buy a phono preamp and connect it to one of the audio inputs. Amazon has a bunch of them, starting at around $10.00. I would spend a little more, look at the Behringer PP400 Ultra-Compact Phono Preamp for $20.00

This is the kind of information that is worthy of a quality post. You have my thanks, because although I'm not a big turntable fanatic, I do have dreams of getting one for my small vinyl colletion (last turntable died... haven't opted to replace it). I never would have guessed the newer recievers wouldn't have a turntable input, but I guess it is a sign of the times.

Now about that VCR and Minidisc player I have sitting around...

Horseradish

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Horseradish

I have discovered--much to my disgust--that this thing won't handle non-HDCP inputs. I get the requirement to require an HDCP-capable output for the HDMI, but the fact that it won't take any digital inputs that aren't encumbered is just AstroTurf.
It also can't switch analog inputs between the composite and component outputs (eg, composite in, component out or vice-versa), which is remotely understandable in the context of an HDMI-based system.
Finally, you can't relabel the inputs, so if you're attaching both an Xbox and an PS3, you'll have to decide which one is "Game" and which one is "X" or whatever input you use instead.

Armoracia rusticana
Kansas City, MO USA

lou707

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lou707

this is one great receiver! sound is wonderful. and I have been using tube equipment for a long time. no harsh tone or too bright. very clear. detailed. runs cool just like they said. lots of ways to tune the sound.
very easy to set up. don't be intimidated by the cd rom setup disc. its just an online manual, guide that's actually very helpful - and I hate manuals. you get right to what you need without having to slog through the real, original 'paper' (pdf now) manual.
perhaps the remote could have had larger buttons though. also give more time to make a choice before switching to main menu, then having to get back again.

but the great thing was this arrived in mint condition and in fact brand new. the description here said....'some item(s) missing....but in fact everything was sealed. even the small batteries were included.
thanks Woot!