shakinjake

quality posts: 1 Private Messages shakinjake
nobleman wrote:Bad price; groupon has it new for the same price. Otherwise, fantastic tablet.

only the 32 GB is available now...no more 16's=:-(

daviangel

quality posts: 1 Private Messages daviangel
nobleman wrote:Bad price; groupon has it new for the same price. Otherwise, fantastic tablet.

had it they are out of stock
Heard Staples had the 16gb for new for $100 not long ago anyways

harobikes333

quality posts: 2 Private Messages harobikes333

I'm going to take a wild guess & suggest the reason ND is so "hot" on buying these tablets is because it's currently -18 outside... and everyone wants to just stay inside & goof off with a new tablet :P

wouldhee72

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wouldhee72

I bought this device from Woot and arrived with a broken digitizer. I have been trying to return it for 3 weeks and they have not sent me the return shipping slip. Please let me know if anyone has a solution.

Pinksloth

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Pinksloth

What? No slot for a memory card? I'll keep my Galaxy Player.
Why did Google do this?

wouldhee72

Looks like my last comment has been pulled off the board. I bought one of these three weeks ago and it arrived with a broken digitizer. Obviously they aren't that "reconditioned". I have been trying for three weeks to get woot to send me the return information and they keep telling me that it is in my spam folder. Obviously if I am getting my daily deal emails, I would receive a direct email with the return slip. And I also know enough to check my junk mail. I finally sent Woot a screen shot of my spam folder and they still won't respond. Be Careful!

klandon61

quality posts: 13 Private Messages klandon61

Got one of these when it first launched and love it! However, wouldn't recommend buying at this price when the new one doesn't cost much more.

You may want to consider the Hisense tablet. Lower price and has mini SD. My dad recently got one and it works flawlessly.

cobyn

quality posts: 1 Private Messages cobyn

I'm 2/3 on these.
first 2 where 8gb version that worked fine. 3rd was 16gb version which was DOA and woot is making me send it in asus to get repaired...
great tablet though...

mustbechris

quality posts: 8 Private Messages mustbechris

Nice tablet when it works. Mine bricked after less than a year of moderate use. Geek squad people are of the opinion that it bricked because its battery drained to zero, which is a pretty terrible design flaw. I had actually planned on getting it repaired because I really liked it, but I ended up buying a Surface RT instead, so it's just sitting there now.

But yeah, as long as it's working, it's not outdated by any means. It works fast enough, runs games beautifully, it's snappy and responsive, I loved it while it worked. You really can't beat the value at this price.

tindios

quality posts: 5 Private Messages tindios
daviangel wrote:had it they are out of stock
Heard Staples had the 16gb for new for $100 not long ago anyways

Gamestop had brand new 32GB's for $99 about 2 months ago. I've heard that was a price mistake, but many grabbed them (I got 2) and others got Staples, Sears, and Walmart to price match at the time.

So given these are refurbs... and this price can be had almost everywhere and lower (ebay has manf. refurbs at $139 quite often), not a great woot at all. Especially now that the now that the 2013's are out and are about $50 more in this size all the time.

tindios

klandon61 wrote:Got one of these when it first launched and love it! However, wouldn't recommend buying at this price when the new one doesn't cost much more.

You may want to consider the Hisense tablet. Lower price and has mini SD. My dad recently got one and it works flawlessly.

And NOT nearly as nice of a tablet. Build quality sucks, and not as good as the Nexus 2012 version in every review you read. Does a Hisense work, sure.. but so does a Yugo compared to a Lexus. Oh and the Hisense is not on KitKat like this one can be!

sanmo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sanmo

Scored a new Dell Venue 8 with 16GB memory on Cyber Monday for $129. Have yet to receive it. Am hoping that the dual core Intel Atom processor is adequate for the job.

tindios

Pinksloth wrote:What? No slot for a memory card? I'll keep my Galaxy Player.
Why did Google do this?

Google doesn't support SD slots, and keep saying they won't. It's a policy and the guesses range from "they want you to stream" to "They feel you can use an OTG cable for more storage" (both options suck and are stupid)

The fact that the Nexus devices did not have an SD slot "was" an issue for me till I recently found this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=1E8-0003-00001

Or

http://www.amazon.com/RAVPower%C2%AE-Wireless-External-Streaming-RP-WD01/dp/B00AQUMZRA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1386423882&sr=8-1&keywords=ravpower+wifi

It works amazingly well and creates a WiFi that your Nexus can connect to. I put a 64 GB SD card into it, and can also plug in my 2TB portable drive and up to 5 devices stream from it. (Have only done 3 at a time, but they worked flawlessly)

I was wanting to upgrade to the 2nd Gen 7 if they finally came out with a 64GB model. However, this has taken care of the issue I have with my current Nexus 7 1st gen 32GB of not having all the movies on the go when I need them.

seshum

quality posts: 0 Private Messages seshum

Groupon goods has it for the same price and it is new not a refurb, remember this is gen1 not gen 2, camera and screen are world apart in gen 2

russwjohns

quality posts: 15 Private Messages russwjohns
quiksilver3133 wrote:Again, had to have hit checkout within 15 seconds of the video going live and spent a little over a minute in the antechamber of doom. Guess I'll try again tomorrow night...

WHAT R U PEOPLE POSTING ABOUT??? COMPLETELY OT AS TO NEXUS 7.

maui

quality posts: 10 Private Messages maui

So. The "TAXSUCKS" Coupon code is no longer valid for Texas Wooters? THATSUCKS.

Mistarnova

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Mistarnova

Be Warned, I purchased the 32gb model of this about a month ago before thanksgiving when they had them on sale then, and only received the 16 gb model.

i really wanted that extra 16gb of space however since i had already put 4.4 on the tablet i figured i'd hang on to it for now. I'm finding I could've used the extra space now though as games are getting pretty large nowa days unless you're playing simple ones like candy crush or dots.

Woot! offered a full refund or partial refund to take it down to 129 which for some reason is still more expensive than now?! but whatever.

atmazzz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages atmazzz

When these first came out I went through 3 of them trying to get one without some problem. I finally gave up and and just got a refund. I would be tempted to try one for this price but Asus is notorious for sending back refurbished equipment that wasn't repaired at all.

russwjohns

quality posts: 15 Private Messages russwjohns
tindios wrote:And NOT nearly as nice of a tablet. Build quality sucks, and not as good as the Nexus 2012 version in every review you read. Does a Hisense work, sure.. but so does a Yugo compared to a Lexus. Oh and the Hisense is not on KitKat like this one can be!

Do you have actual HANDS ON experience with the Hisense Sero 7 Pro?? Build quality is in fact exemplary. The reviews comparing these two appeared to be biased (maybe since Google $ ads symbiotically with there sites?). You must have failed to read the comments by actual users. You can spend more and get more but you won't get as much bang for your buck as you can with the Sero 7 Pro. I wouldn't get a gen1 Nexus 7 unless it was selling at least $20 less than the Hisense refurbs.

brossow

quality posts: 4 Private Messages brossow

We have three of these (32GB) in our home currently (mine, wife and daughter's) and absolutely love them. My wife and I were early adopters and haven't had the slightest hint of trouble. When my young teenage daughter saw how great they were, she asked for one of her own -- we bought it and she's been paying it off. When Newegg had these on eBay last week at $115 shipped, I ordered another just to have as a spare, to fool around with (custom ROMs, etc.) and/or in case one of our boys decides he wants one of his own. Even at the non-Black Friday prices on Woot today, these are a great tablet at a great price.

escalante

quality posts: 8 Private Messages escalante

In case anyone is interested, the new upgrade to Jelly Bean is out now. I just upgraded my Nexus 7 to Kit Kat 4.4 yesterday. Seems to work fine, have not really tested it out.

tslattery

quality posts: 1 Private Messages tslattery
Well, that's about it. It's heavier, thicker, slower, and the battery life is really bad (2-3 hours).

I'm curious what you are running on your tablet. I use my Nexus 7 on a daily basis. The battery life isn't great, but I can stream music over wifi to a bluetooth speaker for 5-6 hours a day at work and still have enough battery to play games, read books, surf the web, etc. for another couple hours at lunch and at home.

Further, no matter what Google wants you to believe, Android is notably harder to use than iOS.

How, exactly, is it "harder to use"? My 5 year old daughter has no problem finding games and playing them on any Android device she's used (straight Android, Samsung, Kindle, etc.) and can easily use the search functions to find videos or more apps. I know she's smart, but I would assume most adults are at least similarly capable.

Dave94LX

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Dave94LX

I bought a 1st gen 16GB when they were first released, and I still love it. I actually bought another one a few weeks ago as a gift for a co-worker. I upgraded to 4.4 KitKat a week or so ago, and it runs GREAT! No issues with any of my old apps, and benchmarks higher than it did with any of the previous versions.

I would love to have a 2nd gen, just to see the differences, but I simply cannot justify it. This tablet is just awesome. I would recommend it to anyone looking for a tablet.

Dave94LX, the other white meat.

steveken

quality posts: 5 Private Messages steveken
mustbechris wrote:Geek squad people are of the opinion...

LOL, Geek Squad. Hahahahahaha If you are nuts enough to take ANYTHING to them, you deserve what you get! LOL Overpriced gourds that don't know what they are doing that steal your personal data off the computers when they fix them. LOL

And, I am with the other person, what the hell are you people talking about with this clicking on links within 30 seconds to be gipped out of stuff or whatever you are talking about. What links? What cornucopia? What are you talking about??

Dave94LX

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Dave94LX
steveken wrote:LOL, Geek Squad. Hahahahahaha If you are nuts enough to take ANYTHING to them, you deserve what you get!

I agree, I have fixed at least a dozen computers for people that were told by geek squad that they are "unfixable"

As for bricking... I thought mine bricked too about a year ago. When I would turn it on, the screen would go to fuzz. After some reading, there was an issue with an older version of Android that didn't show the actual battery life, and when it drained, it would cause this issue. I charged it overnight, and reset, and it has worked fine ever since. Geek Squad probably didn't do the research.

Dave94LX, the other white meat.

escalante

tslattery wrote:I'm curious what you are running on your tablet. I use my Nexus 7 on a daily basis. The battery life isn't great, but I can stream music over wifi to a bluetooth speaker for 5-6 hours a day at work and still have enough battery to play games, read books, surf the web, etc. for another couple hours at lunch and at home.

I find it is totally depends on what apps I have. Some seem to run all the time and quickly drain the battery, others are fine. I use the app "GSam Battery Monitor" to find apps that suck the battery dry, and once I find them, I delete them.

jboll33

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jboll33

Ok I am not really that good at this stuff, but will I be able to read my Kindle books on this?

manhandsha

quality posts: 33 Private Messages manhandsha

Staff

wouldhee72 wrote:Looks like my last comment has been pulled off the board. I bought one of these three weeks ago and it arrived with a broken digitizer. Obviously they aren't that "reconditioned". I have been trying for three weeks to get woot to send me the return information and they keep telling me that it is in my spam folder. Obviously if I am getting my daily deal emails, I would receive a direct email with the return slip. And I also know enough to check my junk mail. I finally sent Woot a screen shot of my spam folder and they still won't respond. Be Careful!

Your previous comment is still there, you weren't deleted. Can you please PM me your order number, so I can have someone send you a label?

Have a question about your order or account? Click here to contact Woot Member Services.

wouldhee72

Thanks

daveaa005

quality posts: 0 Private Messages daveaa005
jboll33 wrote:Ok I am not really that good at this stuff, but will I be able to read my Kindle books on this?

You should be able to download and use the kindle app with no problems.

klandon61

quality posts: 13 Private Messages klandon61
tindios wrote:And NOT nearly as nice of a tablet. Build quality sucks, and not as good as the Nexus 2012 version in every review you read. Does a Hisense work, sure.. but so does a Yugo compared to a Lexus. Oh and the Hisense is not on KitKat like this one can be!

Yugo to Lexus? Maybe you are thinking of a different Hisense model.

The Sero 7 Pro is the model I am referring to. PC Magazine rated it as excellent. http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2424041,00.asp

psfales

quality posts: 0 Private Messages psfales
Alfredenigma wrote:Uhhh it has all three of those actually...

Uhhh, it doesn't have a compass. It does have the accelerometer and GPS. I've got one of these and have been extremely pleased with it. I haven't missed the compass, but I have wished for a back facing camera and an SD slot.

bluemaple

quality posts: 66 Private Messages bluemaple

@Dave94LX, agreed, I do tech consulting on the side and the Geek Squad folks are one of my best sources of business!

But it is much worse than they "don't know" how to properly diagnose or fix things - they seem to be a feeder over to their own new sales department @Best Buy.

I went in with a (low tech) friend to return their new replacement PC since their old PC worked fine and got a debate from the store manager. He actually made us prove the old PC worked! We did and the Geek folks turned red but the store manager was combative. We maintained a calm and professional composure the entire time. Stay away from Best Buy.

Dave94LX wrote:I agree, I have fixed at least a dozen computers for people that were told by geek squad that they are "unfixable"

As for bricking... I thought mine bricked too about a year ago. When I would turn it on, the screen would go to fuzz. After some reading, there was an issue with an older version of Android that didn't show the actual battery life, and when it drained, it would cause this issue. I charged it overnight, and reset, and it has worked fine ever since. Geek Squad probably didn't do the research.

burhanistan

quality posts: 7 Private Messages burhanistan
imtall wrote:I have a 2013 Nexus and I love it! That being said, I was looking to buy a tablet for my brother this year and I was wondering: Does anyone have thoughts on comparing this 2012 model to the Asus MemoPad HD 7 that came out earlier this year?

This one (first gen) and the new 2013 model are really worlds apart. I couldn't settle on the lower resolution and bulkier mass of the 1st gen, even with the substantial price gap. An extra $100 isn't really going to be much of a big deal to most people if you're planning on keeping the device a few years. The speed, screen clarity, and ease of use is really worth it to get the new version.

I'd skip this one, as while it's certainly better than those horrid Polaroid tablets woot was offering a few days ago, it's just barely passable as a tablet.

burhanistan

quality posts: 7 Private Messages burhanistan
jboll33 wrote:Ok I am not really that good at this stuff, but will I be able to read my Kindle books on this?

The Kindle app works great on Android and iOS, so yes.

escalante

One thing else, you can also use an app called "Amazon apps" which lets you use the Amazon app store, along with the Kindle app that others have mentioned. So then you can go to the Google apps store or the Amazon app store...NICE!

takmad

quality posts: 0 Private Messages takmad

What generation of Nexus 7 is this? I'm looking at cases and want to assure I match case to product. Is there a model number that will help me? Thanks!

takmad

quality posts: 0 Private Messages takmad
takmad wrote:What generation of Nexus 7 is this? I'm looking at cases and want to assure I match case to product. Is there a model number that will help me? Thanks!

Looks like I should have read the previous comments better. This offer seems to be 2012 1st generation unit. Correct?

Doubletwist

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Doubletwist
ktappe wrote:Now, as for the Nexus 7, I got one last time it was offered (just 3 weeks ago). I also happened to get an iPad Mini then because that's when they were released. So I am qualified to compare them.

What the Nexus has going for it: Price.

Well, that's about it. It's heavier, thicker, slower, and the battery life is really bad (2-3 hours). Further, no matter what Google wants you to believe, Android is notably harder to use than iOS.

Yes, the iPad is several times more expensive. But if you can afford it, that's the route to take. This Nexus is interesting and I am using it for some things, but I'm glad I didn't pay more than $150 for it.

Oh, this unit does update nicely and easily to KitKat in case anyone's wondering.

There must be something wrong with your Nexus 7 if it's only lasting 2-3hours. We have 3 of the 2012 Nexus 7s and I have no problem using them all day. The only time they don't last all day is if I'm playing high load 3d games.

As for the difficulty of Android, I can tell you that my daughter had no trouble using hers at 7years old. I personally find iOS more way more difficult to deal with, so I'd say that's more a personal preference issue than anything else.

That's not to say the iPad Mini isn't a great piece of tech, but remember, you're comparing a 1.5 year old tablet to one that was just released.

The *only* problem I've had with the 2012 Nexus 7 is that the micro-usb port can get loose. It's incredibly annoying.

I don't have the same problem with my 2013 Nexus 7

Kebsis

quality posts: 12 Private Messages Kebsis

I've had a Nexus 7 32GB since around May and I've been loving it. I bought it mainly just to watch movies on at work, but ended up using it in bed, on the couch, with Chromecast, etc. I'm in for one here because my brother can't keep his hands off mine so I'm getting him one for Christmas.